Options

Brand new runner looking for companions..

Comments

• Options

Thankyou BS, not easy is it, but hey! We are here.image

Thankyou to you all x

ps, my friend has just gone into labour...woohoo!!

• Options

Am dressed to go out but the ipod is out of juice now... so waiting for it to recharge..Honest...

• Options

LM - i think you might just be addicted, i know i am & damn it feels good.

PLOD - yes that did make sense.

STRUMP - welcome to the thread. Good luck to your friend. Lets hope mother & baby are ok & lets hope you get better soon

• Options

Thankyou AS.

Baby boy arrived safely last night at 22.47, weighing 8lb 2oz, mum and baby wellimage

• Options

imageStrump congrats to Mum and baby glad all is well.

imageI ran yesterday exactly 3 miles in 31.13 (no walking) don't know if that is any good or not - it is a strange thing this running malarky 'cos I worry everytime I go out that I wont make it and if I miss a run I get quite tetchy and when I've finished I am always amazed /pleased/ etc AM I ODD or does anyone else feel these funny emotions???

imageBS did you make it??? Do let us know how you got on. imageLM is right - i know it sounds strange but even if your'e tired exercising does give you more energy - not sure how it works but it does - since I have been running & riding & cross train I really do feel more enegized and I need to be for family , animals, work etc -( feeling a BIT jaded this am 'cos was out last night having a "girlie "get together which involved lots of chat, laughing, music, more chat, more laughing, fresh orange juice oh and vodka to liven up the juice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and moooooooooooore vodka.)

imageAm seriously thinking of plucking up courage to see about joining a club to see if this would help me although I really don't mind running on my own 'cos I can go when I want and at my speed?!?!?! without worrying about holding people up.

Take care TTFN Nessie

• Options

Hey plod...

I feel exactly the same as you and am really relieved to hear you say it... To be honest, I am scared of doing it a lot of the time, as I don't actually believe I 'am a runner''.  So I recognise your emotions completely!

And as for the laziness - I always feel so much better afterwards that I then get on my wiifit and do more.. Strange huh whereas before all I wanted to do was crawl into bed..so it really does work.

Strump - Huge congrats to mum and baby.. 8lbs!! Blimey!

• Options

imageHi BS glad I'm not the only one who feels like this!!!!!  You are a runner - speed doesn't matter - I  time my runs with stop watch and have different routes of different mileage( don't that sound great MILEAGE!!!!)  mapped out either by checking them in the car or by google  Gmapspedometer.

imageIf anyone is wondering where to go for running shoes , earlier this year I went to a shop in Westbury on Trym Bristol called "Up and Running" and they put you on a treadmill and video / computer image your running style and how your feet fall - so they can advise on type of shoe for you. I must admit I felt a bit of a twit 'cos at that time I hadn't ever been on a treadmill and was worried about running on it but they made me feel ok and said I could just walk and they would be able to tell my style by that. Hope this helps.

imageNo running today but I will ride horse later and hopefully go to gym, when my membership ends soon I won't renew it 'cos of cost, so have bought big exercise ball that I can sit on, lie over do push ups and tucks on that Ilearnt at the gym and I hope these exercises will help tone me etc

TTFN Nessie

• Options

Hi All

Found this friendly thread and just getting back into running after being kind of run down this last year or so.....

Congrats to Mum and new arrival -  yep 8lb 2oz know what that feels like  image

Best thing I did this year was to join a running club, I was welcomed with open arms, you could not meet a friendlier bunch.  Fortunate for me they accept new members whatever your running ability!     I just plod along at my own pace with no pressure to keep up   -  and to hear shouts of encouragement from the others is just fantastic.....

First 10 k tomorrow bit nervous as it is all road,  there will be onlookers supporting all along the route - I know this as I've been the onlooker wishing I could do that    -  and now I am 

Thanks for listening

Take Care

xx

• Options

imageWelcome myredface - ( I got one of those )   good for you doing 10k BEST OF LUCK!!   I did Bristol 10k on bank hol monday just gone - no great time, walked more than I really wanted to but hey ho I did it. So good for you.

imageEveryone here very friendly and supportive you wil fit in great - what area is your club ?- I am in Gloucestershire and South Gloucestershire area is not very far away at all from me.

Spk to you all soon TTFN Nessie

• Options

Hi All

I feel just the same with my running, so i think its a common thing.

I dont think we should under estimate ourselves though, we may not be 'elite' runners, but we are out there having a damn good go. Slow but sure and the more we do, the better we get!image

I also want to join a running club, but im terrified incase im not good enough

ps...the new baby is sooooo yummy!

• Options

myredface - Welcome! Good for you doing the 10k. It'll probably be a good thing having the onlookers cheering as you run. Can't imagine better motivation than that image Let us know how you get on.

Strump - I'm the same... I'm scared to join a running club in case I'm too slow and hold everyone up. I originally said I'd look for one to join once I could do 3 miles.... Now I can do 3 miles and I've changed it to 6 image 

I'm just about to head out for my run. I'm happy because it's raining! Does anyone else love running in rain or is it just me? I like it because it keeps me cool, and there's less people around to laugh at my red face image

• Options
    LM....i also love the rain lol....coz theres no other daft beggers out there to laugh at me
  • Options

2.5 miles in the rain.... fantastic stuff.

Could have done without the idiot shouting, "Faster! Faster!" at me from a pub doorway though, then laughing like he'd made the funniest joke ever. Soooo original! image

• Options

Thanks Plod and LM 

LM Sounds as if you had a great time outside in the cooling rain, I agree it is more my cuppa when it is drizzly and on the cool side -  heat and sun not so good as tend to get more beetroot faced than ever.   Not mentioning that first 20 minutes made evr more difficult !!

Hmmm...those pub door doorway jokers -  same old tired jibes.  I have to correct my breathing when going by so as not to breath in their rotten fumes.  Puts me right off my (slow) stride.

Do try and find out about your local running club, most I am sure will welcome newbies of all ability.  I feel lucky to belong to the most friendly club in West Sussex and have taken part in various fun runs held throughout the County. 

Last one was a 5 mile  run over the South Downs  -  exhausting and a really good atmosphere  I even won a spot prize!!!  .....imageimageimage   How Brilliant was that??????

• Options

myredface

Where in West Sussex? Im in Lindfield.

LM, well done, 2 miles more than ive run today! xx

• Options

myredface - I'm tired even imagining a 5 mile run over the downs. My aunt and uncle live in East Sussex so I've walked over what they call the downs a few times. Soooo many hills - I can't even imagine running it! Well done on the spot prize - that's fantastic! image

I'll investigate the running club definitely. I'm not too fussed at the moment as the weather is nice and it stays light til late. Though in winter I'd like to run with other people - partly for motivation and partly because it's probably safer.

• Options

Just done 3 miles in the rain. Considering I didn't want to even leave the house am v. happy!  and the best part was i felt like i could have done more  image

well done to everyone out there running in this miserable weather. am just settling down with a glass of wine now.

• Options

just figured out that if i increased my running by 5 mins each week i coudl do a marathon next year.. or is that a bit optimistic at this stage?? image

• Options

Louise - Not at all - I think as long as you're increasing gradually and not doing too much too quickly, you're fine. They say a general rule of thumb is to increase your running by 10% each week. Anyway, goals are important -  I'm in the ballot for FLM 2009. How cool would it be to be able to run a marathon?I say go for it! As soon I managed my first mile, I was plotting marathons.

I'm having a couple of glasses of wine tonight too. We deserve it image

• Options
    Im also in the FLM ballot (god im mad lol)....having had breast cancer im joining the Breast Cancer (Breakthrough) team.....fingers crossed we get in and if i do.....my god i will complete it! (might take me crawling over the finish).
  • Options
    I'm in the FLM ballot too!! fingers crossed for all of us. Not sure if i can raise the sponsorship for a charity place. have had my eye on the flm before i even put my trainers on lol
  • Options

PLOD - I also feel good after doing a good run or beating my PB. I have a great big smile on my face & punch the air. I use www.mapmyrun.com to work out routes & distance.

RED - Welcome to one of the friendliest threads on this site. Hope you do well in your 10k tomorrow. My first run is not until 15th of june & i am nervous already so i know how you must be feeling. Make sure you come back & tell us all about it.

Can't believe there are so many others feeling like me about joining a running club. I imagine being too slow to be accepted into the club, that probably sounds silly though.

LM - i am doing a half marathon in october & would love to do a marathon eventually but still a scary thought though but well done you for applying & i hope you are accepted.

• Options

So many of us wanting to do FLM! How fantastic would that be if we all got in? I get all emotional even imagining crossing the finish line of the marathon - is that really weird?

• Options

LM

I dont think its weird at all, its some thing we really want and so i guess makes us emotional.

I have another Race for Life in June, i always cry when i cross the finish and i doubt i will be any different in June.

• Options

Strump - I'm jealous. I didn't sign up for Race For Life this year, and now I wish I had!

I'm on a rest day today and I'm grumpy because I want to go out and run image

• Options

Wow everyone how fantastic to go for FLM!

With my first bout of BC, my brother raised 25K running in FLM and said it was amazing... I started the running though thinking of doing it, but actually, now it really is just something that I enjoy doing.. and I am so much at the start that R3W1 is beyond me let alone FLM!

LM - You make me laugh.. Tomorrow will come round soon enough! Go for a walk or something to get the grumpiness out... *smile*

Strump - So moving doing walk for Life.. My daughter did it for me and seeing her do it with my name on her back made me weep too...

RED - Welcome here - BIG HUG! Sounds like you are doing brilliantly already and we need that to keep people like me inspired!

AS - Great having goals.  I have been told that that is really really important and I am sure the way you are going that you will do brilliantly!

Plod - Lovely to see you posting again - I thought we had lost you!

Happy Sunday all.. I am really going to try and write this application letter now for a promotion and then go for a run.. At least that's the plan!

• Options

imageHi gang - GUESS WHAT?????    Yep I bet you guessed I too have put in for FLM 2009 ( I must be bonkers!!!!!)   I believe we won't know till October if accepted or not .

imageIt would be out of this world if we all got accepted - if that was to happen we must meet one another so we can cheer one another on - I can't really imagine being able to do a full mara ( like the abreviation )  I strggled enough with a half and this September I am doing Bristol half and my goals were as before;,A)  Finish standing &  B)  Not be last - Oh and now I have one other goal to add C) To better my previous time (which shouldn't be too difficult 'cos I was so damned slow!!!!!)image 

imageJust thinking of all the great causes we are helping really spurs you on ( even if it is walking ) and the fact that if you are like me and running doesn't come naturally and I'm the very wrong side of 21 - so all in all we are a grand bunch!!

imageHi BS - not lost - I'm here somwhere (not always sure where though!!!!) How was your run the other day?

TTFN Nessie

• Options

Now you are all starting to make me wonder if I should as well!

But I can always come out and support you... *ponders*

Nessie - My plod the other day was actually quite hard... I have been doing R2W1 for about a week and this was the hardest one..and I was thinking of moving up to R3W1 but might not now.. It is slow progress...

• Options

BS - Wow, your bro raised £25K? That is amazing! I'm glad you're enjoying running so much image It must be a fantastic influence on your daughter seeing you do something so healthy - and having fun doing it. My parents are very anti-exercise, and I think that's rubbed off on my sister - she sees any form of exercise as a form of torture - I'm the freak of the family it seems!

Plod - I agree, if we get in the marathon we'll have to cheer eachother on. I think I'll need it! Everytime I get in from my 3 mile runs (especially the times when I'm knackered!) I just think, "Oh my god, 23 more of these?!". And then I remind myself that when I started, 3 miles seemed impossible. How long did your half marathon take? I want to do a half maybe around October time.

Am still sulking over my lack of running today, but know I really can't go today as have ran 3 days in a row and am going tomorrow too. Will probably follow BS's advice and have a wander to the shops for dinner food. After running, my next favourite thing to do is cook (and eat - that's where this running thing comes in handy too image).

• Options

LM - yeah i am the freak of the family too, get no support whatsoever even from my partner which makes me more determined to succceed image

Ho much does it cost to enter the FLM, just saw that the ballot entry is closed already.