Deaf Runners

Comments

• Glad to be of help. 

I like running in the rain.  As I normally sweat so much, running in the rain just makes me look wet rather than sweaty.  Much better.

• I'm okay in the providing I wear a cap to keep the rain off my specs. By far the worst weather for me is strong gusty wind...this really upsets my pacing.

You feeling better now after your fall...no lasting aches and pains to stop you running?

• Morning guys,

A long weekend in prospect for me...Becky, being in banking...I assume you will not be working on Monday.

Good luck if you have any races planned...it we appears that we may just drop lucky with the weather and have a bit of sunshineimage

A very steady 6M for me yesterday evening. I went out at 7:50PM...having waited for a particularly heavy shower to clear...2M at 30 secs below tempo...2M at tempo...and the last 2M at race pace. 50mins 15secs. It was well into dusk by the time I got home. The nights are drawing in quickly now. I got home just in time to miss another heavy down-pour to find the shower out of action...Hopefully it will be repaired today...I badly need a shower...phew   imageimage 

Have a good weekendimage

• No aches and pains any more from my tumble on tuesday.  Did 35mins on my treadmill last night.  I hate the fact that its getting dark quicker in the evenings so will have to go on the tradmill more image

Also its dafrk when I leave the house at 5.30am now as well imageimage

8 months or so of the year I feel like a mole living in the dark.

Easy weekend with just an 8 miler to do on Sunday as a LSR.

• Hi Becky...I'm pleased you are up and running again...I've stumbled twice this year and been lucky both times that I did no damage...except to my pride of course. You feel such a fool don't you...quick look around to see if anyone saw you go downimageimage

Thankfully my aid seems to be okay now...there is still abit of tenderness in my outer ear which is painful when I put my aid in but this is diminishing now and should be clear in a couple of days.

I was very surprised after my run last night to how dark it was when I got home. Yep...the inevitable's arrived...dark nights..ugh.image

I try and run when I get home form work at 1615 in the winter...not always possible but I manage to do most of my sessions. I don't like running on treadys.

Must seem like a real chore to you on the shorter days...travelling to and from work in the dark.

I will do a LSR tomorrow and then a 10K on Monday providing we don't go off some where for the day.

Have a good weekend.

• oh my god!  where is everybody.  No comments now for 3 weeks!!!!!!

How's everyone's training going?

Got 4 weeks until the GNR.  I have another chance at breaking the hour for a 10k next Sunday.  I feel really fit and I see this as the last opportunity this year.  Only thing is I do know its undulating/hilly but I have never been on the course before so I don't know where the hills are or how steep which makes it difficult to know how to pace myself.

Also concerned what to do with my aids in he GNR.  Don't fancy leaving them in the "bag" drop off they provide as it could 1) go missing 2) get damaged etc.

I will be wearing a hilly bumbag but not sure there is enough room to put them in a plastic bag and squeeze in with all the other valuables (cards money, phoine).  Help! any suggestions? 

• Hi Becky,

I've been laid up with a  viral chest infection and allergic conjunctivitis...I didn't run for a couple of weeks but things are getting better now so I'm back on the road again. I'm taking it nice and slowly...went out on Saturday for a slow 8 miler. No adverse reaction so hopefully I can increase things this week and get back to my full runnning regime Fingers crossed anyway.

I can only suggest for your aids that perhaps you buy a Ipod shoulder pouch type thing. Put your aids in a plastic bag then a least you will carry them safely with you. I'm sure you will be fine on the day...good luck with your 10K too. You appear to be all prepared now for the GNR...I would suggest that you enjoy the 10K...it is no problem if you can't get under the hour. You will get under a hour soon so it would be silly now to push too hard and risk injury so close to the GNR...which is your real goal at the moment. 

I would be just like you with regard to my aid. If these go missing...well I'll say no more...we no how difficult things would be.

• I've had a week off - was getting gastritis and generally feeling seedy, so thought a bit of  rest might do me good.  Was up to running 7minutes at a time, and managed a mile in about 15 minutes!

Will start again tomorrow - interesting to see if I've gone backwards after a week, or improved, or no difference.

Not sure about the aids. Give them to someone else? leave in hotel/bedroom?

I lost my (very expensive) canalaid by leaving it in my purse - which then got stolen. I had hoped the thief might at least return the aid, but no . . . .

Nice to here someone is running well - hope it goes to plan for you. I'm quite jealous, both of your being in a race, and the time you will achieveimage

• Hi mellitus,

We all get laid up occasionally due to some injury or illness. You won't lose much fitness in a week or two. I always find it is more a matter of mind rather than body that creates the problem. It is best just to get kitted out and go for a run...if you think too much about it you will never get out of the door.image

I would be lost without my aid...I would probably stop in bed till I could get to the audio clinic for a replacement. I realised at the weekend that I don't have spare mould so I would be in deep trouble if I did lose mine...must get this sorted and get a spare ASAP.

Keep going with your runnning...things will soon improve. You have a lot to contend with and at least you are getting out there which is great. Keep things nice and slow and build your base fitness...at times it seems slow but this is best way forward and it does get better.  

• Mellitus - I agree with Autumn, one week should not affect things too much.  Sorry ot hear about the theft.  Without my aids I could not operate at work.  Will work from home then and concentrate on report writing relaying on emailing my customers instead.

Autumn66 sorry to hear you have not been well either.  I am hoping I don't catch anything in next few weeks. 

• Hi Becky,

I think that you should give some thought to just competing your 10K and not over do things. You said earlier in the thread that the GNR was one of your goals. You will be disappointed if you injure or get some illness. This is the time of the year when all the bugs start flying around...when the kids go back to school and their parents bring the germs in to work.

I going to have to visit the audio clinic this week again. I'm having some problems with my mould...it is not fitted right and is very uncomfortable. My ear is so tender it is too painful to touch. I think it is the stay-dry tubing that is causing the problem. Will find out on Wednesday evening.

Thank heaven for e-mailing...this is a god send for deaf people...communication without having to pick up the phone.

mellitus...let us know how you get on with your next run...you will realise then that a few days off shouldn't be a disaster in your schedule providing you don't rush back into things.        

• Hi all, thought I'd drop in and say hi on this thread as it's something that's going to affect me over the years.

I lost a lot of hearing in my right ear over my late twenties, to the point where I have an aid for it (I'm 30 now), however I don't wear it very often as I have reasonable hearing in my left ear which carries me through. Not due for another test until next June, but I suspect there will be a slow degredation in that side as well as it's already on the low side of average hearing.

I hadn't considered how this would effect my running, it wasn't something I'd considered as I've only been running for 6 months now. So far I only have probs when people talk quietly to me on my RHS, or my alarm clock not waking me up if I'm laying on the wrong side image

• Hi Gav and welcome.

Don't mention alarm clocks !

When I first lost my hearing I lived in a house split into bedsits.
    One morning after I had set the alarm to wake me fairly earlyish, I awoke 2 hours late but everyone else in the building had been kept awake by my clock going off for 2 hours.

I was asleep laying on my right side, I'm unable to hear anything in my left.image
    (BTW, I now have a Shake-awake alarm clock.)

If I'm out running with a group or with friends I have to keep them to my right so as to hear what they are saying.

I think it has happened to most of us at one time or another.

• Like you say most of us have alarm stories.  I used to have shake awake but now travel lite and use the vibrate alarm on my mobile when I travel.  I have a proper electic one on bedside at home, you know vibtrating pad and flashing light.   The only thing the pad is too violent for under the pillow so have it on the floor, which the vibrate wakes  up hubby rattling on the floor who then kicks me out of bed!

A much noicer way to wake up then to have a headache - lol

• Hi folks,

Seems like the alarm thing is pretty common then! I've never discussed my hearing impairment with anyone except my close friends and family so hadn't even considered it image.  Might have to look into one of the alternative ones, although I've only every managed to miss it by about 20mins at most the ex used to quite dislike the volume I had it at image.

Will see how my hearing progresses and keep checking over my shoulder twice when crossing roads on my runs!

• Morning guys,

Le Gav...very nice to meet you.   

I must be very fortunate...I've never found the need for alarms to wake me. I usually wake about 5 AM and then lie in bed waiting for 6 to get up for the day. It must be my age...you youngsters stay up later than me watching tele.

Did a good slow  10K last evening...still in recovery mode after my lay off. It was a very pleasant run...no rain for a changeimage

• Hi Autumn,

Heh, you're right, the fact I was up until about 1.30am last night certainly didn't help the alarm this morning!

• Hi mate,

got cha...I know you youngsters like to sit late watching the box or X boxing. Me, I'm an old plodder and I need my sleep...too long in the tooth for beauty sleep...but I need my 8 hours of bed. Did a 10 K last evening and after that I really need to curl up and restimageimage

How long have you been running and how are you progressing?   

• At least you're doing out doing the miles, it's a nice way to spend the evening anyway and stops the boredom setting in or the playstation going on too early image.

I started running in March after 10 years of dormancy and smoking for about 7 of those years. Suddenly the super human fitness I had when I was rowing 10 years ago was a long, long way away and I was struggling to run more than about a mile without stopping for a breath/walk. However things have come back quickly and I'm really enjoying piling the miles on, times are getting faster and I'm going to pop along to my local running club tomorrow night to see what that's all about.

For some reason I get much more enjoyment out of the running than cycling or rowing, you can get yourself on a nice track/toe path/road and then relax, not having to be constantly looking over your shoulder or focussing intently if someone's going to drive into you. The longest runs I've done so far (9-11 miles) are the ones where I don't really want to stop, you know you should go back but I kept on adding on another mile here or there until I really had to go back.

So have you been running for a few years then?

• Morning guys,

Le Gav...I played competitive squash for a number of years and ran to improve/maintain my stamina. I stopped playing squash due to injury, had a fews months lay off and never really got back the motivation to play to league standards. I started running on a more regular basis and have continued now for well over twnety years running 3/4 times a week...averaging 20/30 miles most weeks. I also cross train on a rowing type machine at home. I've never raced...I just enjoy running...I'm well motivated to get out in all weathers. I'm like you...when I hit the good days I just want to keep adding miles on to my run.

Adding together the time I ran and played squash and my running after my squash finished it must be close on 35 years now that I've been plodding about the highways and byeways in my locality.

Becky...are you all sorted now for the GNR?

• Welcome Le Gav . . . . have you discovered subtitles yet? My favourite invention of the last month, easy.

Went out (in the pelting rain) yesterday and managed a 9 min run - felt i could go on, but stopped as not in training plan. Then really struggled to get past 2 minutes afterwards. NVM.

What do you guys do about glasses? mine became useless so I took them off. But I really didnt like being both deaf AND blind. One reason I don't lilke swimming (also, swimming pools seem to magnify background noise).

My shuffle also stoppedimage. Maybe its not designed to get soaked.

Interesting lots of you guys have had sore pinnas from hearing aids - this is main reason I gave up on mine - I got an ulcer from the pressure, and was told I had to either put up with it or not wear the aid.

• Hi mellitus,

Stick to your plan...build your miles slowly and you won't get injuries.

I'm okay running in my glasses...I just wear a peaked cap if it is  raining. Also I wear a visor type cap if the sun is very bright...not done this too often this summer. My specs do get abit gungey but are okay after being cleaned.

I can't run with music...for obvious reasonsimage  I been running now in silence for so long that I don't even think about Ipods or such. I did try running recently wearing a special earguard boot and it was okay but I was concerned about moisture ingress so I've not done this for a while now. I may start wearing the boot again now the days are getting cooler and I won't be sweating so much.

Off to the audio clinic this evening to get a tube refit...my current one is causing me a lot of discomfort. At the moment my ear is just too tender to touch...hopefully things will be sorted today.    

• Right aid wasn't working yesterday after half an hour at work, it kept switching itself right down and then a constant beeping (it is a digital aid and the volume control doesn't work).

As I sometimes work at the hospital I tried getting in to clinic yesterday but was unable (we have an appointments system here) but was told I could go this morning.

Anyway, I thought I would try the aid this morning before going to work, and as we all know it was going to, it worked fine.
    I went to the clinic anyway and had both aids tubes changed as they no longer give out the tubes for you to do it yourself.

Did a few weight followed by an hour on the treddie at the gym this evening.image

• Good morning all,

EM...I hope your aid is okay now. I went to the audio once when my aid(digital) was playing up with increases/decreases in volume. The audiologist tested the aid and found no problems but decided to change it anyway. I walked out of the hospital with the new aid in, got to the carpark and the thing packed up...I rushed back to the audio and was fortunate to catch the audiologist just before she packed up and went home for the day....phew... that was a close call.image

Went to the clinic yesterday evening...tube changed...my ear is still very painful to touch but everything should be okay now with the new tubing...fingers crossed.image There is a clinic at my local audio dept on Wednesdays  5.30PM til 7 PM for repairs etc....no appointment needed. Got there just in time...I was fourth in to see the audio...twenty people waiting when I left.

Cross training yesterday...10 mile bike ride to the hospital.

Out this evening for a 10K plod....really looking forward to this.image

• Hi All image

Autumn, it's odd how you get motivated in all weathers, I was looking at the light rain this morning thinking "Oooh, nice weather for a run".

Melitus - Yeah, started using them now and again, can be very useful from time to time image

• inreresting the different options everone one has for looking after their aid.

Mine gives out tubes to do it myself.  Must have appt for repairs.  no local climics for checkovers except for daytimes so only suit pensioners really.

lso local dept happy to send out replacement elbows in the post. 

• Le Gav...I don't really have a problem with motivation...like all runners I get ups and downs but always manage to get out of the door. I'm looking forward to retirement...I've already warned my OH that I will run most days then...even if it is just a couple of miles...she is not amusedimageimage

When you look out of window and you think to yourself that it is nice weather for a run...then you are hooked.

Awhile ago I was preparing to go for a run and it was absolutely pouring with rain...it was torrential. Anyway on this occasion the weather won and I didn't go...the next day when I told a mate the reason for not going out...he called me a wuss. This from a guy that is several stone over weight and so unfit it is unbelievableimage

mellitus...there is a humourous thread on here about Ipods/mp3s. Well worth a read if you need a laugh to lighten the day.image 

• "When you look out of window and you think to yourself that it is nice weather for a run...then you are hooked."

Looks like that's me gone then! image

• The evening repair clinic is very convenient...new tubing, quick repairs are done there and then. They also give out batteries and spare tubing. Usually I go to my local GP healthcentre for my batteries but if I'm visiting the audio clinic I ask for a couple of packs and they don't quibble about handing the batteries out.

Le Gav...off you go then...hook, line and sinkerimage   

• Hi all,

Not much posting on here lately...you guys retired or what?

I did a good 10K progression run yesterday evening...53 mins ...this is the best I've felt recently since my lay off. Went out really slow for the first half of the run...then upped the pace considerably for the second part. 

Are all you guys keeping okay?

Becky...how did your 10 K go last weekend?

Mellitus...are you progressing or still struggling with your running?