Deaf Runners

Comments

• Why is it always the runs that are most rewarding are the ones you start slowest and then build the pace? I used to row many years ago and you'd go off really hard, then settle to your pace, running seems to work best the other way round.

I've been doing alright, not been getting the distance in though (only 15 miles last week) and ended up having a slightly more social (read: drunken) weekend than planned so didn't get out Fri-Sun.

Decided to do some speed work for the first time ever last night, went to the park where there's a few steep hills with just a 4 mile route planned out. Did a 10 mins of medium pace, then about 15 mins of 30 sec sprints with 1 min jogs, as I only really decided to do the speedwork when I got there I'm not sure if that's the right way to do it, going to do some more reading up today as I really need to get my pace up.

Going to do 9 miles tonight, really got to get some miles in during the next 4 weeks.

• Le Gav...often I've started off on a run feeling less than enthusiastic about venturing out and had a fantastic run. Why this happens...I wish I had the answer. I'm enjoying progression runs in my schedule now. Start off at a steady pace for 3K or so then increase to 10K pace for 3K and finally run 3k at 5k pace then finish with a steady pace for the last part of the run. I find this is really giving me an all round work out and is slowly improving my 10K times. I aim to do this once week, plus one steady 10 K plod and then do a 9/10 slow mile run on the weekend. After my recent lay off this schedule's rekindled my running. I'm going to continue with this for a month or so then swap the progression run for some fartlek training. I think I got too rigid in my schedules and had lost some of the enjoyment of running.

Enjoy your run tonight...resistance training for me this evening on the healthrider machine.    

• Autumn, sorry for slow reply. Has been a busy time for some reason recently! Also not ben feeling too grand . . .

Am still running, but have discovered it definately is the weights that are controlling my blood sugars - as I gave up on them as I felt so duff, but sorta kept going out running (well, walking really). Things went really haywire, and it has only started being controlled again over the last few days, as I started weights again last tuesday.

I found I could run 9min but then hardly run at all afterwards - not what I'm after. So now I'm concentrating more on the time I'm out - 40 or 50 min - and working on increasing mileage covered. Also doing weights at the end instead of in middle of run - I was training myself to be able to run for about 20 minutes, but having little energy left at end of that time!

Its depressing though reading all these people that can run a mile after a month.

Oh, and wearing a cap does NOT stop your glasses getting wet in the rain.

• hi guys,

Things have been a bit hectic this last week or so in the banking world!  Doing silly hours plus the uncertainty over jobs etc

Did the 10k.  One hour 2 mins - gutted that I've missed the target again but so tired due to work etc.  Reasuringly my last 5k of the 10k was in under 30 mins, so there is hope. 

Just over a week until the GNR - getting excited but nervous as I don't know my way around Newcastle.

Mellitus - keep persevering.  It will eventually come together.

Disappointing now its dark in the evening - back on the tradmill uduring the week.  I so look forward to getting out in the frsh air.

• Good luck Becky next weekend, and I'm sure wandering around Newcastle will be fun - now remember, its not cold, bare legs are necessary and are definatley not turning blue . . . a jacket? why would you want to cover up a pretty frock with a jacket???image

Been down towards Leeds myself, and got to use the treadmill in the hotel gym - ran 5K in 36 minutes! and only walked for about 3 minutes of that, including warmupimage

I know its a cheat, but still ver proud of myself. Just need to see what I can do outside now.

• Good morning guys,

Sorry for the late response...I was on holiday last week. We had a break in Devon...the weather was just right...did plenty of walking around Lynmouth/ Exmoor. I did a couple of runs through the Valley of the rocks and around Lynton...very hilly and windy.

mellitus...keep it nice and slow...things will come together if you take your time. Don't try and push too hard...listen to your body. You will know when to rest or run. You have a lot of problems to overcome with diabetes...just make sure that you get things right. Concentrate on time running rather than mileage...build your aerobic base before worring about how far you are going or how quickly.  

Becky...I thought about you with all this uncertainty in the banking world. I hope things calm down for you soon...it must impact on your running...the stress of extra work and worry over job security. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 10K time...it will come when things are more settled at work. The very best of luck with the GNR. Enjoy your visit up north...you will be well looked after no doubt. I agree about the darker nights...I'm still out on the roads running...I hate treadmills. I'm already wearing my Hi-viz gear...I've had some good runs over the last couple of weeks around dusk. I don't know how I will feel when it is wet and cold...just have to wait and seeimage          

• You guys still around?

I am, and can now run for 25 min continously outside - and feel I could prob keep going, but limiting myself to inc by 1 min per run at the mo.

How are you all?

• Hi mellitus,

Good on you for making progress. You are obviously heading in the right direction now and I assume you must be enjoying your running or your running shoes would have been long gone in the rubbish.imageimage

I'm fine...still plodding the highways and byeways. My running is on course for the winter weather...plenty of warm layers and high-viz jackets for the dark evenings.image

It is good to hear from you...I'm sure that you will continue with your improvements...nice and slow...keep ticking over till the spring and then you will have a good base ready to increase next year. image

• Hello all. I am HOH, pesky femail genetics. Luckily it is not too bad and only at the lower pitches. I don't wear my aids when running due to cost/sweat/interferance and always put my ear plugs in connected to ipod.

Anyway - I am hoping to get a stapendectomy (final call is with the surgeon and should know after the final xray and stapes test next week) in my left ear - which I percieve to be the worst, but I don't think there is much in it. Has anyone done this, and what is the recovery time like? I know you are up and about failry quickly, but I am running the marathon for RNID this year, and don't want to loose losts of time. Just worried about the whole balance thing.

Any thoughts/help would be ace.

• Hi Catchee,

Welcome to the thread. I think you just about have the same problems as we all have with sweat etc. I have tried the aid boots...which did seem to work to some extent but I've gone back to running without my aid for fear of doing any damage. I never wear an Ipod...quite happy to plod in my own world...avoids all the chavvy comments that get thrown my wayimage

I had a stapadectomy about 15 years ago. It took me a good two months to get my balance back to normal where I could go about my daily routine without fear of falling over. I was off work for six weeks...it was just not possible to return any quicker...I was up and about but not able to do much more than grope around gripping on to things to avoid the feeling of falling over. The first few days are not pleasent...you will vomit most certainly at the sight of food...the nursing staff expect this so they will be prepared...you will have a couple of weeks of feeling nauseus but once this passes the benefits will out weigh the down side.

Unfortunately the consultant would only do my left ear for clinical reasons but it improved my hearing and I'm pleased that It was done. Eventually I expect my hearing to diminish but thats something I will have to come to terms with in the future.

Good luck if you decide to go for the op...let the peeps know how you get on. 

• Not had stapedectomy, but had removal of my cholesteatoma every summer as a kid and was in hosp for the whole summer holiday!  (the stupid thing kept growing back, so they would take another chunk of bone out the mastoid)

Main problem i remember was that it took what felt like weeks before I could eat properly as it was so painfull opening my jawimage - IV only to start with, then clear fluids, than horrid milk shake thingies, then jellies etc . . . . the first time I could have toast was always a celebration!

Mind you, that was over 20 years ago, so don't know what its like now.

• thanks mellitus and Autumn - my mum had it done, but way back in the late 60s when it was all wires rather than plastic. I really am in two minds. Not sure to wait until I have kids as expect it to get worse after that. Will just wait and see. freaking out about the lay off time though, so If I go for it, will push for it to be post April.

Nice to see this thread and join in.

The funniest  hearing related thing that have happened to me running, is when running with a group on the streets, i turned to the woman next to me and said - "Blimey, that car radio is bassey", as all I could hear was this techno like bass line. She turned back and said there was no music. It was my heartbeat. Ha ha. good old tinnitus, my running pendulum.

• I was out running last week...last mile or so of  a 8 miler. I ran past a young guy who was walking down a poorly lit path. I went past this guy...a few seconds later he flew past me at about fifty miles a hour...course I'd not heard him approaching from behind...scared the day lights out of me. Anyway he ran off round a bend in the foot path and disappeared. Two hundred metres later I caught up with him...he was gasping and wheezing...trying to catch his breath...I ran past and thought to myself...smart ass...there is still plenty of miles left in this old godger...experience before youth.imageimage 
  • ha ha. I have had random screaming moments with fellow joggers I have not head  who have passed me, I get a fright and yelp, they think something is wrong and scream. It is the funniest thing.

ha ha ha. I always get a fit of the giggles.

• I don't know about a fit of giggles...I nearly peed myself. I really did jump when the guy ran past me...I was totally absorbed in my run that I wasn't aware of my surroundings. The plonker...I wonder if he would have called a medic if I had keeled overimage

Next time in that situation I will keep glancing back to check on what others may be doing.

Had a girl run along side of me a few weeks ago shouting 118 118...PMSL at that.imageimage Had she been on my right side I wouldn't have heard a thing.image

• The directionality of hearing loss is fun, isn't it?

The docs always told me as a kid that as I had one (almost) normal ear, I wasn't really deaf. Ha ha.

Its also handy that my hubby is only a bit deaf (mumps) in his left ear - as I'm deaf in my right, we make a nice little unit at dinner tables - either we can talk to each other and no-one else, or we can talk to others and not each otherimage. At our wedding I think we had a round top table (which was also pretty small) just for this reason. And I sat on his right - which I think is the reverse of normal protocol.

• Hi all,

Just a note in response to Redpanda's search for info regarding Danowat....

Becky Boo are you still lurking on the threads or have you thrown your running shoes in the bin. It's been awhile since your last post...I understand things are topsy-turvy in the banking world but are you okay?image

mellitus...I get this all the time. When I'm in bed and I lie on my left side I can't hear a thing...blissful nights sleepimage. If I lie on my right I vaguely catch the noise of the dog barking or cupboards etc.being opened and closed by my OH... imageimageimage

• Yeah, the bed thing is  great . . . . except for trying to wake up!

I had a shoulder op a bit ago on my L shoulder, which was awfull, as I couldn't sleep on my left - even though I was on major painkillers I just couldn't sleep - and got to hear the foxes at night for the first timeimage

•  I just wanted to join in your forum to say hello. I'm not HOH but I'm a hearing aid dispenser and actually started running so I could raise money for people with hearing difficulties.

I've just recently ran the Great North Run (for Hearing Dogs) and am in the FLM running for Sense.

I've had a good laugh at you all causing random runners to scream, etc. Very funny.

• Hey..i have had hearing problems since about 4 years old..have had 3 masdiotecomy operations and was on course for another op on each ear if/when i want it...

been running about a year..i find my balance affects my runnning but i have done alot of core work in the past so i think that has helped...

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Morning all,

Welcome Cabbey and Scott...good to see that there are plenty of deaf runners out there. It is interesting to get a different point of view from someone who is not deaf or HOH but works with deaf people. I think we deaf people have to retain our sense of humour in some of the situations we often find ourselves in otherwise we would spend our lives dwelling on the bad aspects of our disability and probably end up depressed or something similar.

It certainly helps at times to be deaf...great for switching off at night and sleeping through all the little noises that disturb my OH. Quite often she will ask me in the morning if I had heard a particular noise....image...we've only been married 30 years and I've been deaf for most of those years.image Good too when I can't win an arguement...just switch of and escape.image

Scott...I don't really have any problems with my balance but I do thing that running combined with upper body resistence work certainly improves core stability...which of course helps with overall fitness. Good on you mate.image        

• Hi guys,

yes I',m still here.  Things are turbulant in banking but at the mo I do still have a job!

Did the GNR with a bad cold.  Had a weeks break.  Spend the next few weeks getting back into it  (did 2hr on the treafmill whilst watching Paula in the NY marathon!) then came down with chesty cough which I have not run now for 2 weeks. Obviously with long hours at woerk etc, I  got a bit run down. Hoping to go out for a gentle run on Sunday.

Looking to do a 10k race on 28th Dec. 

• Hi Becky,

It is good to see that you are still plodding...take your time getting back in to it. Too quick and you will only injure yourself and lose heart. Good luck with the job...things are really slowing down everywhere now.

I hope the chicks are doing well...not resorted to home grown roast chicken yet have you?imageimage

Some new faces on here in the last few days...perhaps Cabbey will tell us some funny tales of her dealings with deaf people whilst dispensing aids and doing repairs.image  

• Thank Autumn66.

Talking about chickens I pick up 2 new young ones a couple of weeks ago.  Now have 10.  I think only one is still laying eggs tho'

Had to go and buy some shop eggs last week! 

• Hi Becky,

Now comes the hard bit in animal husbandry...if they are not productive then the logical thing would be to cull...I think yours will survive to live long and happy chickie days safe in the knowledge that you keep on feeding them till old age catches them up.image

Good luck with your return to the roads...nice to see you back on the threadimage

• Hi all, I've made it through the thread, how do you get on with HRMs?  I think it was Autumn and Becky Boo with them.  I did try a digi aid a while ago with my HRM and I could tell the alarm was going off as i got 'interference' coming through the aid.  Is this normal?

• Hi Wrinkly Smurf

Glad you found us.

I use a HRM everytime I run.  Here's the catch, I never run with hearing aids so would not know if there are any issues regarding interferance.

• Morning guys,

Wrinkly Smurf...ditto to Becky's reply on HRM. I never set the alarm on mine...no point really. I went out last evening and my HRM glitched through out the run...got home to find my ave.HR was 99% for the run with a max. of 112%. It was a quick run but not that quick.image

I have noticed recently that I get some interference on my digi aid...a couple of times I've not been able to define where the interference came from...must be aliens trying to contact meimage

• Hello all,

Entering my first race - a "santa run

2 on 14th dec, so wish me luck!

Scott, sounds like you may have the same sorta condition as me - My ops started at age 3 . . . I don't have any problems with balance, though ( I think . . . I am incredibly clumsy and managed to fall down stairs last week, not for the first timeimage) Oh, and hello.

• Good luck mellitus...I'm sure it will be an enjoyable day for you...unless of course you fall over...imageimage Post your results so we can all appreciate the effort you have made.,