Options

Deaf Runners

Comments

• Options

Nice to see all you folks still around!

I know not been very lucky recently (also had shingles before xmas) but I kinda think, At least I'm still here, in one piece, even if I do have some new scarsimage.

Didn't know I had appendicitis at the last parkrun, no pain at the time, it was the next day I got very sore . . .

Planning on maybe doing a parkrun 5K this weekend - see if I can beat that 35 min!

Reclining bike is a bit of a rest, but I can keep my HR around 160 on it, which should be in aerobic training zone. Think i will keep going with the crosstraining/gym going once a week or so for the next wee bit anyway . . .

• Options

Hello all.

First time on the computer today and week three from a successful (so far) stapendectomy, but still bouncing off the walls. Not managed to regain balance, but getting better every day. It was the most wierd experiance for the first two weeks. Like being on a rollercoaster - concussed! Still the hearing is massively improved already, so just being patient. . ..  or trying to be.

I am banned from running at the moment, but was keen to get the turbo out and set up next week. Figured if I sat still on it on the aero bars (maybe move the seat a bit) I could manage. With all the steroids and penicillin and painkillers currently swiming round my system I am thinking a Lance Armstrong performance may be in these atrophied legs, although I am pretty sure I will just fall off and eat the floorboards as soon as i try and get on it- as is the norm at the moment. I can barely manage to get the dog walked, so maybe the tour de front room is a bit much.

Anyway, I am mighty jealous of you all running, and cross training and so have booked into a couple of half marathons in Autumn and a summer Tri. The hand is hovering over a marathon, but will see where the next couple of weeks get me.

Anyone up for a sponsored marathon (RNID) in the South of England in late Autumn? Or any suggestions. I am thinking flatter than holland. No running up mountains or slight gradients for this monkey. Going up is fine, it is the down bit that hurts me. . .

• Options

Hi Autumn - I'm sure the audiologists wouldn't want to keep me in - I'd cost them too much in coffee, coke, red bull and mars bars.

CM - if you don't want hills I guess you're not considering the Eden Project Marathon in October then?  I'm very close to signing up for the half - I'm too unfit for the full marathon.  Hope the hearing continues to improve, and you get your balance back soon.  Were you given any idea of how long before you get your sense of balance back?

Mellitus -  after the last few months your luck has got to improve.  I know you'll break the 30 min 5k soon, you may not have had pain but the appendix is bound to have slowed you down a bit.

My daughter came home from school and said she'd been asked what everyone was giving up for lent by the teacher - she's giving up  sticky toffee puddings (she has 1 every couple of months) and said I was giving up coffee!  I need 3 strong cups just to get out of the house - I know it will be good for me but if it isn't a caffeine based drink it must be beer - I think I'm stuck with water for the next few weeks image

• Options

I've book a half for April and usually do another in the Autumn.  Last year was the Great North but plan on doing one a bit closer to home this year.  Will probably do a duothon in September and likely to do 10k in May, July and September.

Catchee Monkey, I'm not tempted to do a marathon.  I'll end up running my body down too much try to train for a marathon whilst doing long hours commuting.  Your mad!

Still to break the hour for a 10k, very very close though, I reckon I will do it this year (I hope!)

• Options

Morning all,

Catchee...It will take a while for your balance to settle down. I was off work for 6 weeks and was still unsteady for a further 3/4 weeks after my return to work. The worst of it is over for you now. It is unlikely that you will be able to run for as a awhile yet so just enjoy the rest...you will soon get your fitness back on return to running. I had a 2 year lay off but was soon built up to run 5 miles. When I had my operation I developed an ear infection, I think this probably added a few days to my recovery. Good luck...I bet you really are bouncing off the walls with frustration, wanting to get out but not able too.  

Wrinkly...your diet looks a bit iffy...you need more carbs to sustain your runningimage

becky...at least you can do 10K in less than a hour on your bikeimage...your running times should improve with the cross-training.  

• Options

Shingles AND appendicitis? Wow. One brave mother there. Both of them REALLY hurt.

My first lipreading course Thursday (wibble). Looking forward to finding out what they say at race briefings!

A very old friend has got a new girlfriend and it seems serious. She is deaf with a REALLY cool watch connected to her aid and teaches sign. I learned a lot last week.

• Options

Hi Autumn - thanks for the dietary advice - which has more carbs guiness or fosters?image

Dustboy - how did your lesson go, I've never gone to any lessons, but have always just tried to fill in the gaps.  I'm intrigued by the watch - how does it link to the HAs?

My latest update - no coffee. coke, red bull, mars bars so far - no headache, no side affects.  1 hearing test -  I survived the one hour hearing test. The audiologist did ask why after 30+ years of hearing loss I’ve decided to come back now – I don’t know myself but just said it felt right now.

I have a standard loss good Low tones, poor high tones. 20db up to 1k, then dropping sharply through 50/60 db on the next two steps to 70db at the top end (I’ll remember to get the actual results when I go back for my fitting).

He said that the 70db loss would stretch the open-fit BTE that I can get on the NHS, but he wanted to start with that as it would reduce occlusion. I’ll find out which model it is when I collect it in 6 weeks. The wait would have been a bit shorter but we had different holidays in April. In fact I’ll be having my fitting on my last days’ leave. He did say that if after 6 months or so I didn’t find them suitable they may try to refer me through a consultant for Access to Work for an ITE aid.

He may even be able to do me some ear-plugs for my part-time job, I have to spend 4 hours a night in nightclubs twice a week. He felt that it could risk damaging my hearing more, I have been using the silicon earplugs that you can buy in most DIY stores, but if the NHS ones are better then I’ll use them instead. But I have to be able to hear people talk, so it’s no good if they stop all sound!

• Options

Good morning all,

Wrinkly...good luck with the aids. I'm sure you will cope with them now that you have decided that it is the right time to persevere with them.

I'm not a great fan of fosters...much prefer the the dark stuff so I will have to say that's the beer to loading carbs image I've never tried red bull...I enjoy a mars bar though.

Running is going well for me...despite the cold weather I'm still getting out and doing the miles. Spring is certainly on the way...I'm now running in daylight on my late afternoon runs.

• Options

Thanks Autumn. I must admit where possible the dark stuff is better - mind you I'm a northerner stuck in the South West and I find the local ales too fizzy!  A good compromise is Calders - I've only found it down here and not 'oop norf' which is strange 'cos the river calder is in Yorkshire!

Red bull is like coke only more so!

• Options

Hi Wrinkly....I think I'll give the red bull a miss. I'm not a coke drinker...much prefer a nice cuppa. We are lucky here in Shropshire...there are several small breweries that make good local beer. It is pricey per pint but well worth the money compared to the big-brand beers and lagers. I've found a nice German lager on sale at Aldi...six cans for less than a fiver so it is good value and brewed to German purity laws. Also they sell a dark beer called Blackwitch...this is a stout like beer and very palatable...£1.29/500ml.  

I like the Blacksheep ales available in the Yorkshire dales...must book another holiday up there soon...great scenery and walking.   

• Options

Hi All.

Thanks Autumn - you are right - I underestimated it - and had a bit of a set back early last week - just as I got back to work. Got in a lift (rapid descent from the 20th floor) forgot about the pressure and hit the floor by the time we were at 15 -managed to get out at 11. My ear crackled really badly  and I was all over the place - I am not sure if it has made any lasting problem, but I was unsteady for a couple of days after and the subs are back on the tv. Have an appointment in a couple of weeks with the audiologist, but will be absolutely gutted if I have caused probs - the membrane is supposed to have set.

Suffice to say - no running til now - went for a jog with the dog last night and seems ok - just have to keep an eye on myself. I have signed up for Abington in October, just to give myself a target. If I can't do it - at least I will have given it my best. C'mon - someone else must want to do it? Please. My motivation is awful ( aside from the newly acquired budda belly from the Get Well cookie mountain I have devowered)

BB - good luck with the 10k time. I am sure you will do it. I can't even crawl a 10k at the mo, but in the past I have found that inching up the start field a little in front of where I should be makes a massive difference, and then spotting 3 people and pacekeeping with them - or trying to beat them like a constant game  - takes away the pain and really speeds you up without noticing. Good luck.

• Options

Catchcee...I do hope for your sake that you have not done anything serious to impede your recovery. To be honest when I first posted about the effects of the operation I thought that I'd gone OTT but thinking back now it was not an experience that I would relish again. If my consultant was prepared to do my other ear then I probably would give it a go...but it would be with some trepidation I must say.

I think you should be okay...I've never been one for using lifts, much prefer to use the stairs but at 20 floors then the lift is essential.  I often get some crackling in my ear...for no obvious reason, maybe a change in air-pressure but it is only momentary and doesn't cause lasting dizziness. It could be that your balance is still not settled yet. It was quite nerve-racking I remember when I took my first visit to the local shopping mall. All the bobbing heads and movement of the shoppers all around me really made me feel terrible. Nearly threw-up that day.image 

When you finally get back to your running you are going to have to kick off on a beginners programme...only joking...you will sonn get back to things and shed the belly I'm sure.imageimage

Best of luck with your recovery...take it steady, it will get better.image

• Options

Thanks A - you are right about the op. I am glad I didn't know too much about it as it was horrid. Took me 6 weeks to get back to work and a lot of people didn't understand it, especially post initial recovery in bed and on the bus where the movement was awful and sound deafening (ironically) or first time confronted by an esculator, or looking at water in the basin or in a bath and keeling over. My mum (who had it in the late 60s) said it is like childbirth - you forget and do it again. The surgeon was talking about the other ear, and had I had any co-ordination or will, I would have bopped him.

You are also spot on about the running - I think I am going to have to do the begineers programme and just get round in October - with the dog dragging me round. But, slowly, slowly, catchee monkey. . . . .

• Options

I'm just waiting for that pill that is going to cure Tinnitus (announced in the press last week) and the new operation to repair/cure the noise induced deafness from the stem cell research thing announced in today's press.

I would happily be a human guinea pig for that one if it meant getting my hearing back.

• Options

I know. EM. Hopefully it won't be too far away. I feel guilty complaining about the route to getting my hearing back in one ear, as it is amazing  - although my fiance snores - that is not a good thing. But rain, footsteps, the airconditioning, the pipes making a noise, it is all amazing - especially in the beginning when it is magnified and super loud. I wouldn't change the op - not for a moment. I was one of three people he did in two weeks and the two others were not successful in one way or another, so I feel blessed every single day, and hope I continue to remember to do so.

• Options

Hi guys,

Catchee...I agree about the initial impact of the op. There seemed to be, at times, huge rushes of sound coming from all directions. When things settled down it was more manageable though. I still wear an aid in my op. ear but it is far better than before the op. When I had my op. I was the only one having this done. I never really thought about things not working out, the consultant did mention that it could possiby be unsuccessful...thankfully like you op. was okay.

EM...good luck with the tablets...I'm sure things will be okay for you. I think the stem-cell research is away down road a bit yet. I don't think it would be of benefit to me so I won't be giving hope for this in my case. Certainly for you youngsters it is something to be really look ahead to. The advances now in stem research are quite rapid and bringing great expectations for people with disabilities.

Good running over the weekend guys...Catchee...things will soon be back to normal, be patient and keep reading the threads on here for inspiration and motivation.      

• Options

Catchee, I hope you're OK, from what Autum says it doesn't sound like you've done any permanent damage - keep us posted on what the consultant says.  I'm sure there'll be a few doing Abingdon over on the main threads.  I'm planning on Eden in October and Mrs WS wouldn't elt me do two in a month.  Like you I'm not sure I'll do much more than get round.

I've just about got year-end out of the way and will get chance to have a lunchbreak or two each week.  Mrs WS has asked if I want to run a hilly 5 miler at the weekend - I know I'll get round, but I also know I'll compare my time to last year when I thought I was unfit (I'm a stone heavier now and have hardly run in the year between).  But I am entered into a 5k in 4 weeks - maybe I should start training soon - speedwork anyone?

I had my hearing test a few weeks ago, and the fitting is 20th, I can't wait now.  The Audiologist I saw seemed helpful (and hopeful) but I know it'll be a struggle.  All I'll have to do is relearn how to hear once I get the aids.

• Options

That's great news WS- it is really odd hearing lots of noise - my aid used to pick up lots of background clatter and it took a few resettings on the computer to get it just right - and does take some getting used too. Hope it goes well, I am sure it will!

My ear seems ok and the balance is nearly all back now. Nothing is as loud as it was - but still not put my ipod in my left ear yet. Started running at a pathetic pace, but am now rattling out 3-5k at lunch, just need to work on it and build up slowly to get my endurance and confidence back. I know how you feel - it is horrible not to compare to old times.

Good luck on them hills, and getting down the stairs the next day! ha ha. I am down for going for a pad in Wales at the weekend, but dreading it. I will be pitiful, and the future CM is not a man known for his patience.

Was supposed to go surfing but can't put anything in my ear that blocks it (I ordinarily wear ear plugs due to all the pollution), as it completely knocks me off balance. The surf report for North Wales looks really good - no Catchee Monkey killers. Have any of you tried any partial earplugs that you can recommend? I know there used to be some for tinitus sufferers but can't seem to find them. Obv I will be paddling about at the shore, not in the surf - scared a board hits my head.

Anyway - happy easter to all. Have a fun time running

• Options

Hi CM, over on the RNID forums there are a few discussing earplugs for swimming, some have got them through their local audiology/ENT dept due to repeated infections etc.  I know that they're on about fully plugging their ears - but maybe your consultant could suggest something.  They were talking about over the counter ones being about £5/£6, and up to £50 for custom made.  Not a lot of help for the weekend though.

Glad you're up to going out and enjoying yourself, and you're already running further than me!

• Options

Dropping in again, the hearing aid my mates missus has works with the watch by radio stuff, but it's well cool

The lip reading courses are going well, really fab stuff and I can watch ITV4 now which ordinarily has shite sound but I can lipread a lot of it.

Just got a white noise generator from the therapist to help combat the tinnitus. First day but we'll see how it goes. And I now have an appointment for a speech discrimination test I think she called it???

And I have learned to fingerspell so all in all, it's not so bad! And I have been taught to swear in sign too.

Had a really interesting talk from a charidee worker guy who has no hearing at all. Took ten minutes to "tune in" but he had a lot of good stories.

• Options

Hi Dustboy...I thought this thread had died the death long ago.

Good to hear that things are going well with all your courses and the masking gen. Sounds ideal that you can now fingerspell...will come in handy when you give the finger to an inconsiderate driver...f*** off in sign seems much more polite than two fingers in the air...unless it is the same of course.

The advances in aid technology goes in leaps and bounds...I've seen some that are now fitted into spectacle frames...soon we will have a litte device fitted into the ear like one of those ear studs and that will be it. This will look cool and fashionable too...perhaps not appropriate for an oldie like me but I will give anything a try.

My running is going okay...a bit hot at the minute but still getting the miles under my belt. I'm having a problem with my left thigh muscle...sometimes it feels numb/tingly but not yet caused any lay-off from the plodding. Perhaps it is just my age catching up with me. Also I'm walking to work three times a week now and maybe this extra mileage is having an impact on my legs.  

I had the local Firebrigade guys come and fit 2 new fire/smoke detectors recently...I'm now waiting for my local social services department to assess if there is a need for the fitting of a vibrating fire alarm...I probably will not get one but there is no harm in trying.  

• Options

Hi all, resurrecting old thread.  Just started running again last week (run/walk but I'm getting out!), my problem is the only time I can run is lunchtime at work.  

How long after a run are you cool enough to piut the aids in?  After a run and shower I feel hot for about 15-20 minutes after, then I'm putting the aids back in - could I do it any sooner?  I'm trying to get Access to Work approval at the moment so don't want to fry the NHS aids just in case - and even less likely to want to fry the new ones if I ever get them. 

Dustboy - hows' the tinnitus masker going?

Autumn66 - are you still out clocking up the miles?

• Options

The tinnitus masker is fab. As soon as you put it in it sounds like the LSO tuning up and it is a bit prone to fall out when chewing but I leave it out at the weekends and yesterday, for the first time, silence.........for an hour.

FWIW, I had a repeat pure tone thingy. Basically, it's classed as a mild hearing loss althought the 6-8K range  drops off to pretty much zilch very quickly so consonants are gone. Medic said aids work at different frequency and can't work on that frequency loss so it's not worth it. He also said the speech test not worth it.

WL. Running at lunchtime at work...

What do people do about cleaning up after? I mean, I would like to ride to work but no shower facilities. What do you do? Or do you have showers? 

• Options

so reassuring to hear (!!) the experience of others running with hearing difficulties. I run alone without aids and enjoy it thoroughly. Although I sometimes wish I could hear better so i would feel comfy running in a group but I think they feel awkward when i miss out on the chat so it's more satsifactory all round if i run alone.

Generally no problems with traffic etc but i have had one near miss. I was running on single track roads in the country and eventually came to a long straight high level section that stretched ahead of me for about a mile. Fields dropped away on either side of me, high hills to the far left and stirling castle 4-5 miles away. Gorgeous evening and i'd just disturbed a couple of deer. As I entered the straight stretch i was feeling good and though I'd push hard for this straight mile. Head down, concentration up and i went for it. I came to an abrupt halt just one pace off running into a stationery tractor at the end of the mile. The farmer's face was a picture -  a mix of incredulity and laughter - seems he had come out the field onto the road just after i had started my 'golden mile' and had watched me race towards him, engine idling, waiting for me to look up...

Another time on the same stretch I was thinking to myself there was a complete absence of wildlife tonight. No birds, rabbits, deer... it was like a rural marie celeste. Until I glanced up and saw a huge buzzard soaring about 10 feet above me. It stayed there for about 7-8 minutes. I can only imagine he thought he was in for a great meal if i collapsed!

At events I write a note of my deafness on my race number and include my wife's mobile phone number in case of emergency.

• Options

Dustboy - glad to hear tinnitus masker is working, I'm trying for some Audeo aids from A2W - they do a frequency shift where they move high frequency sounds into the lower ranges so you can hear them. At least that's what I understand from the adverts (I'm sure some techies out there can explain it better).

I've always been lucky with work having showers, no safe place for bikes, but the lanes round here aren't safe for biking (not safe for running either, but the lanes are a bit quieter at lunchtime).

RM - your runs sound excellent, I have reasonable low tones so can cope with some conversation, but when I'm starting to push hard I don't hear at all well.  I've disturbed a couple of deer and buzzards while out running, but it's such a rare occurence that they stick in the mind.

• Options

Welcome Raymond...sounds like you have some very nice running routes...perhaps you would have to be more careful if the buzzards were vultures...look out...running buffet in progress.image

Hi Wrinkly...yep I'm still plodding the miles away. Been hot and sticky lately but kept to schedules for the summer. No injuries to contend with. I do have a slight strain in my left thigh but this is easing now so looks like it is not going to require any rest or treatment. I don't have a problem with my aid after a run...I usually get back to the hearing world immediately after my shower even though I'm still sweating. I do all my running in out of office hours so I don't have to worry about BO whilst sitting at my deskimage.

I had a visit off my local authority social services last week...they are going to fit a flashing/vibrating smoke alarm for me. Taken awhile for them to repond but at least things are moving now.

Dustboy...pleased that things are improving for you...it taken time but eventually you seem to be on track now.

I noticed Becky Boo posting last week so she is still lurking on the threads...Becky hope things are well with you and your running is still strong.image     

• Options

Had another hearing test about 2 months ago, same thing as the previous year "there's been a minor decrease but it's within the range we'd allow for in daily fluctuations". Which seeing as this happens year on year means there is a continuing loss.

Not sure what to do next, they've given me an aid for the bad ear, but frankly I don't wear it, seriously starting to look at these little in canal ones, anyone got any experience of them?

• Options

Just got a brace of new NHS digital aids. Please excuse language but feck I have missed a lot in the last few years. Mouses click did you know!!!

Have behind the ear with the thingy corda tubes but may have to have the moulds. I asked for Red ones (to match my bike colour scheme) but was told black & gold only, well bugger that for a game of soldiers and, well bugger bugger, bugger.

They itch a lot, hurt as well but worth it. Take a while to get used to (er supposed to be 3 months but diving in for the 24 hour fasttrack do or die optionimage)

But overalll, a new lease of life! Hoo feckin' ray. Can't get over how well made up I am.

And apparently, I might even be eligible for a bus pass!!!! ROFLMAO!  

Le Gav, stick it in and so what.

I have a had a few questions at work and one guy brayed, "Wossat choo got in your ear'ole" but he soon realised he had overstepped the mark when I said "A hearing aid, why, what do you put in yours?" and it's been quiet as a mouse since (I think)

imageimageimage 

• Options

I am so glad I have found this group - I thought I was alone in the deaf running world.

I suffer from high frequency hearing loss in both ears and have had tinnitus since birth. Running is a great way to get away from it all and feel free from the constant whistling, buzzing and ringing noises in my head. I don't wear hearing aids when running as they get too uncomfortable and itchy, although it does put me at risk on the roads.

Are any of you doing or thinking of doing the Virgin London Marathon in 2011? I work for a charity called Deafness Research UK and as well as being employed to help raise funds for vital research in deafness and hearing impairments, I will be running and fundraising myself. I am very passionate about finding a cure as life can be incredibly difficult when you are without one of your most important senses.

It would be great if some of you would like to run with me in the London Marathon next year. Please see http://www.deafnessresearch.org.uk/3741/events-amp-challenges/running.html for more info. I hope that we can get a community of passionate runners who happen to be deaf or hard of hearing.

Dustboy - I am interested in learning more about the tinnitus masker?

RM - I am also subject to near misses although once, I did get a little too close. I was running along a straight road on the opposite side so that the cars could see me with their headlights during dusk. As it was getting dark, I was not concentrating and realised I was going to miss the lane I run down on the other side of the road. Without any thought, I quickly crossed over right into the path of a moving car. Fortunately, she just clipped my leg but it sent me flying into the hedgerow. No breaks, just heavy bruising and a very upset woman who thought I had been killed (oops!) Ironically enough, I spent most of my time looking after her despite my near death experience.

• Options
    Welcome Daniel. Makes a big difference knowing you are not the only one. I think most of us are still around in one way or another. We are definately all due an update.

Regardinging your London Marathon. I didn't get in the ballot for 2011 (never done a marathon before) and could have had a Golden bond place with the RNID. However, I just could not commit to raising circa £2k in the time of recession plus time training and fitting in around 4 hrs a day commuting to London.

2010 was a different year for me as I still did the odd 10k. Finally broke the hour - yipee! but from April to September I did one triathlon a month for 6 months. all sprint distance but 4 were pool swims, one a lake and one a sea swim. With the cross training it has opened up a new world beyond running.

Hearing wise, certainly fun doing tris with no aids particularly as you are cycling on roads that have not necessarily been closed. A risk, sure but just have to be careful. Most organisers when ~I tell them are supportive. Tried a new hearing aid model in December 2009 (Siemens Relex) but for the first time in 30 years I just could not get used to them and went back to my old ones. Have just visited audiology last week and got new models again Siemens Impact and I think these will be ok one they have a small tweak.