Deaf Runners

1101112131416»

Comments

• Tinnnitus masker, it's a white noise generator but now totally usurped by my aids which are MUCH better at killing the T.

Re tri's, hearing loss is no impairment in the water, am used to riding motorbike with earplugs in at motorway speeds so used to using eyes only on two wheels. Never yet heard a briefing though! LOL. Just follow the rest. Though I have relatively mild loss. Use Oticon Spirit Zest? I think.

Come over to the dark side!  

• Welcome Daniel...good to see the old thread resurrected.

I'm still plodding...I'm probably the old fart on this thread...whilst I don't profess to be the quickest runner I've still got plenty of get up and go and still knocking out the miles despite the poor running conditions.

I too run without aids...tried some boots but I enjoy being switched off when I go running.  Finally got a strobe/vibrating fire alarm installed by my local authority...thankfully not yet tried and testedimage

I don't do marafuns but good luck with your charity endeavours.image   

Till this time next resurrection...have a good Christmas and New Year all...happy runningimage  

• just did a google search - this tinitus masker - headphones are really big. Is their something smaller? in ear?

My mp3 player has noise cancellation that you can use if not listening to music but I don't like wearing it indoors.

I don't have any hearing loss but do have raging tinitus that have always had. Sometimes worse than others. image

• The mask is about the size of your avatar, bit bigger maybe, sort of curly shape, sits in ear but not custom made so it can fall out, especially when you eat! That horrid pink pretend flesh colour. On off & volume, just hisses white noise, you set it to just about be in the background and it is supposed to gradually calm it. It does work but doesn't kill it completely. Does that help? Got it from hearing therapist on NHS, they are about £100 a side private though. Silly thing is, I am trying to send mine back coz I have aids now (hearing ones!) & they are not returning calls. You may be the person waiting for one! They are all disinfectable and they get passed from one patient to the  next dependent upon need.
  • Hi all, I am new to this thread and also this forum. I am a teacher from London who is currently learning BSL. I run with a crew in London and am looking to start a group/crew for individuals who are deaf or hearing impaired. The idea being to try and get a collective together that run together socially ( or competitively!!) on a regular basis as I feel this is something overlooked in the running community and also, after reading a lot of the posts previous, something that people would like to do but haven't yet for fear of many things including safety! Unlike the running 'clubs', this would be a less formal affair however, runs would always have at least one signer who is an experienced runner and could help pace the group for those wanting to improve. This is currently just an idea but I have the resources and group to hand that will help make this happen and I am passionate about making it so. Please any questions/comments/advice/contacts get in touch

Danny Wood (dannywoodis@hotmail.com)
  • Hi all, I’m new to this forum. I’ve been road running and racing successfully for many years. The last couple of years more friends have suggested we spend time trail running.  I am completely deaf in my left ear after it was broken by foreceps during birth. I have a non deaf identical twin sister and I’ve always been raised in a sense of it not stopping me from doing anything. Last weekend was a different matter. I was on a running camp with friends and struggled badly in the mountains. I wobbled, I struggled, I scrambled. Whilst everyone else skipped across the mountains. I looked like an ape who had lost their ability to walk. I attributed this to my poor balance. I’d love to hear from any deaf or hard of hearing runners that have had a similar problem or have been able to reduce the impact of their poor hearing on their ability to take to the trails? Thanks Sairmac 
  • Hello all! My name is Rares and as part of a university course, a group which I am part of is designing a device which detects sounds louder than a set threshold and emits a vibration when this occurs. We thought loud sounds could :) indicate a danger which won't be noticed if it happens out of sight. I was wondering if anyone thought this would be a device they would use or if anyone has any ideas about how this could be improved to better suit your preferences. Thank you in advance! :)