Deaf Runners

Comments

• BimblebelleBimblebelle ✭✭✭

I've had a whole string of conversations with my patients where I got completely the wrong end of the stick by mis-hearing them.

I asked a gentleman about how much fluid his wife drank during the day....he said: "I give her a last drink at ten o'clock"  I must have looked horrified by his answer, and he asked if that was OK. I asked him to repeat what he'd said. "I give her a last drink at ten o'clock" he said again........ "I'm sorry" I said "I thought you said you give her arsenic at ten o'clock!!"

Someone else asked me if I shop at Asda................I thought they'd asked if I'd shot my hamster! (poor Hamish!)

The fun I have in my quiet world!!

• Phil - the gels work for me and I don't have any problems stomaching them.  You don't need to use them only for a marathon.  Anything over and hour is normally ok.    I have another 10k in July (a hilly one) and the may do another in September.  Will continue doing LSR on Sunday, a fast tempo run and an intervals run.  every few weeks do so hill reps on the north downs.
  • Good morning all,

Bimblebelle...I think it should be that all hearing people carry mini TV so that we can read subtitles when they speak to us...having said that there are some very strange and often rude words on the TV subtitles now. Some can be quite embarrassingimage

I was doing some gardening once and a neighbour said that he was too lazy to do that. I thought he said "have you been to Malaysia "  I responded by saying "yes I have, when I served in the army" You can only imagine the look on his faceimage

Becky....at the moment I doubt if I will try the gels. If they work for you then that is great. You will have to be careful with your next 10K in July. It could be hot and sticky then. I try and do a big hill run once a fortnight just to keep my legs used to climbing. I agree that this is something we need to work at. You've got a few weeks now to prepare...are you aiming for under the hour this time?

Phil.      

• LOL - won;t get under the hour with the hills.  Just as long as I beat last years time on this course which again was an extremely hot day in the 20's.

I always remeber when I was little and just started using subbies.  There was one programme with swear words which were bleeped out but the subbies wrote them out in full.  I turned round and said at least I know how to spell it now.  Since thenthey tend to use asterisks.

• Hi Becky,

Often now when the programmes are live some of the subbies are really quite offensive words. Do they use a predictive text type device...because this is what some of the subbies remind me of. You know when you write a text and the words are all weird.

My sister in law had a new mobile...she'd never used one before...sent a text to her granddaughter and it really was a load of gobbledegook. Her daughter promptly sent the message back and my sister in law was in fits of laughter when she realised that the her phone had defaulted to predictive texts.

What time did you do in last years race?. Do you think that hot weather impacts on your times. I'm very careful now when it gets hot and sticky. Personally I think it is preferable to run in freezing weather than when it is too hot...at least you can run a bit quicker to warm up when it is very cold.  

Phil.

PS I think Barcode as gone walk about somewhere.

• I think live subbies like the new now use voice recognition and thats why it sometimes look gobblegok.  At least on live programmes it comes up slightly quicker now that when it was a person typing it.  Always used to be about 4 sentences behind then.

In last years race it was an hour and 10 mins.  I don';t like the heat either, prefer the cold for running. I definately find it raises my heart rate by at least an extra 5 beats a minute.

• Hi becky,

From your comment about your HR...I assume you use a HRM. I use a Polar HRM. I feel that using this has prolonged my running...I used to go out and run like an idiot, thinking "no pain, no gain" but now with the equipment and advice available to runners from various magazines and of course this forum we are now more knowledgeable about the need to be more structured in training and exercising. I don't think that I would still be running now without a HRM and also good quaility running shoes. T've been running now for over 20 years...15 years of squash before this and luckily I've no problems with injury...knees and ankles are really good.    

What time do the races usually start? I've never raced and probably never will so I'm not aware of start times etc...except the FLM  which is televised.

You're probably right about voice recognition....makes for a good laugh sometimes though!!!! 

Phil.      

• Very funny thing. We have just had Tiscali TV installed as part of a fone/broadband upgrade package. I have a hearing loss around 4-6Khz of about 25% or so, so I can't hear the dialogue and need the subbies.

The new TV box doesn't have a subbie facility we are told so it's in the bin and back to terrestrial!

• Dustboy

I find it unbelievable in this day and age that such a things as subbies has not been considered.  My mum had Virgin Media and for a while that had no subbies (me I'm Sky - excellent subby service from the beginning!).  Anyway when she did get subbies, when I went round I would work my way through the menu and turn them on.  Later on I would leave to go home.  A few hours later I would get a frantic phone call from mum asking desperately how to turn the sodding things off as she was not quite so use to finding her way around the menu as I was.image

• Hi all

I have just read the beginning and end of this thread, because it is quite long, so excuse me if someone has already made this suggestion - perhaps someone would be interested in starting a running club for deaf / hard of hearing runners?

If this is of interest it could in theory be done fairly easily. Although it is a totally different situation, I moved to Athens 3.5 years ago and wanted to take a break from all things Greek now and again and meet some foreigners. There were no expat groups so I started one using Yahoo Groups on www.yahoo.com and there are now 400 people on the mailing list. It was dead easy to do. I then used an easy to use off-the-shelf web page creating package, also supplied by Yahoo, to create a web site for the group, giving it a home and a vehicle with which to promote it. You could have regional coordinators across the country organising activities in their areas, get hard of hearing groups and societies to give you free advertising and no doubt such a group would grow fast. I have found running a group to be a great hobby and a great way of meeting others, it could also grow into a source of extra income. Members could pay a small annual membership fee, and/or pay to take part in any training runs/races you organise. Sorry am running away with myself a bit now, but if such a group doesn't already exist it could be a fun enterprise for the right person.

Happy to offer any advice on starting up a group.

Best wishes,
    Emmanuel

• Morning guys,

Dustboy...it seems extraordinary that the Tiscali TV didn't have subbies. I only have terrestrial because I don't watch much TV. I do find that the main stream channels are quite good. The obscure channels on free view don't always have subbies...this can be annoying because often there are films showing that I don't watch due to the lack of subbies.

I couldn't sleep last night...got up about mid-night feeling peckish...made a huge bowl of muesli...sat and watched TV with sound off...subbies on. Heaven...mmmmm . Peace and quiet.

Becky...you have to make allowances for us oldens...we do try to keep up with technology, but things change so quickly now.image  

Phil. 

• The official response

"Thank you for contacting Tiscali Technical support.

I understand that you have concern related to subtitles with Tiscali TV.

I would like to inform you that as of now the subtitles feature is not available with Tiscali TV. I have forwarded this issue to our engineers, and they will definitely look forward and introduce subtitles. However, we are unable to commit any time scale as to when it will be introduced.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused and I request you to bear with us until our engineers investigate this issue."

Re races, I never have a clue what is being said, just follow someone in front.

And seeing it's a mutton thread, does anyone get like a sine wave noise all the time in their head? A plain tone like around 6khz audio testing machine noise. There all the time but slightly on one side(the right), sometimes worse, sometimes better but nearly always there. Often wondered about this. Sod all I can do about it but I just wondered.

• Hi Dustboy,

Yep I have a dull tone in my head at all times...I suppose it is considered to be tinnitus. I can't comment on the frequency but it does increase and fade at certain times. I've found that drinking a glass of wine diminishes my hearing...strange I know but it happens to me.

I don't race...I always run solo. I really only run now to keep fit. I was very competitive when I played squash but found that as my hearing worsened I had difficulty hearing the umpires. I picked up an injury...had a break to recover and never found the motivation to return to playing.

A weird response off Tiscali...I can understand the odd programme being shown without subbies...but to not have the facility at all is a bit behind the times and the technology. My wife watches TV with the subbies on. Sometimes in films it is hard for hearing people to catch things that are said. 

Phil.  

• I get tinnitus as well.  Everyone's tinnitus noise is different.  If  i'm tired or stressed it gets worse.  Sometimes it can sound like I have a full orchestra in my head.  During the day I don't really notice is as I have my hearing aids in an the sound I get from that masks the tinnitus. 

Just taken advantage of contacting the local fire safety officer.  They are coming round to fit a smoke alarm for the deaf, free of charge.  Execellent service.  Realised it was really an issue at the weekend when hubby set off the smoke alarm cooking his fry up and did I hear it - no!  Fine when my aids are in.

• Hi Becky,

I agree with your comments regarding tinnitus...it is always there but not so noticeable when busy or whilst wearing aids. it comes in to its own when you want some peace and quiet...then it is the full monty.

Are the smoke alarms avaiable in all areas? If so I will be very interseted in having one fitted. We do have one now of course, but like you, if I was not wearing my aid I simply would'nt hear it.

I hope hubby was cooking your breakfast too.image

On the plus side of being deaf...we get to sleep through the loud thunder storms etc. Often we get up in the morning and my wife will ask if I heard some noise or other outside during the night...doh.

It's my birthday tomorrow...one year short of my free bus pass. I will have give some consideration to giving up running then...why run when I will be able to get from A to B for free!!!!!image Only joking.image

Phil.

• Ah yes, had forgotten cinemas, last time I went was about ten years ago. No point now. DVD with subbies has been a revelation! 

I knew it was game over when I realised I was trying to lip read Jar Jar Binks and getting nowt. ANnoying coz it is mainly the conversation and it is gettign embarrassing at work on social functions and interactive conferences when everyone is talking at once.

I probably have it dead easy compared with some of the rest of you but it is still annoying all the same.

And peopel who say "pardon" as a joke when I ask them to repeat something, get my goat.

• Hi Dustboy,

Over the years I've come to accept the "pardon" then the smirk. I put it down to ignorance. Often hearing people don't realise that we are deaf and speak, or mumble, this leads to misunderstandings.

Meetings and social functions are definately hard work. I find that if I get too far behind in conversation I just switch off...not my aid...litarerally and make the best of things.

How is that at weddings when you meet friends and relatives that you don't get to see regularly the disco music is played at max volume. Even hearing people complain.image

Is your hearing likely to deteriorate?

Phil. 

• I feel a bit guilty mentioning it even coz I am not actually deaf and plenty of people are, but it does seem to be gradually getting worse. I was told it wasn't bad enough to need aids a couple of years ago but that I had got a balance problem! The hearing chart is always done in a silent room though and it's when there is other noise that I have the problem. As I mentioned it's about 25% loss around 6khz so the world is all vowels and no consonants! 

Mostly I try and ignore it. I have real respect for peeps with it much worse, it must be a real pig.

• Talking of cinemas, I'm looking forward to later this month when Indiana Jones come out. 

Local cinema does digi subbies on Sunday afternoons.  (can't wait for DVD on this one!)

Details of them all on here:

here are now 285 cinemas with subtitle/description facilities!

Visit the website to view by film or location:

[u]http://www.yourlocalcinema.com/locations.html[/u]

Happy birthday for tommorow Philimage

• Hi Dustboy,

I went deaf over a period of 20 years. I think that this helped me in that I learnt to cope with the gradual loss of hearing. I learnt to use my wits to avoid situations that were difficult.

Some of the others on this thread went deaf quite quickly. This must have caused al sorts of problems and anguish. At least I was able to learn to speak and communicate. Children born deaf have huge learning speech problems. It is remarkable how they cope and go on to lead fulfilled lives. i suppose this is true of many disabled people.

I sincerely hope that your hearing doesn't deteriorate further.

Have a good weekend guys....I'm off line now till Tuesday. Got to get my car MOTed on Mondayimage

Phil.       

• Good afternoon all,

On my Saturday evening run, after twenty odd years of running without any falls, trips or accidents I finally stumbled and fell. Luckily I did no injury to myself...just grazed the  palm of my right hand. I think I stumped my toe on a tree root and went sprawling to the ground. I was on a dirt track which lessened the fall and saved me from further injury. Have any of you fallen during runs?

Good news on the MOT...car passed the test thankfully.image

Phil.

• Yeah, been down a few times, sprung a few leaks, the worst was earlier this year, tripped on a paving stone from badly maintained pavement whilst 8MM. Flew through the air, came down on a knee, hip and both hands and ripped each open a bit. Swore repeatedly whilst lying on the ground unable to get up for a bit as everything had stopped working. Hoody lad approached me with the safety catch off on his Reeboks and started saying something to me. Eventually, after lots of "Eh? huh? wot?" from me I figured he was asking if I was OK, by which time I was on my knees. Really it was quite comical I suppose.

Tried to run the mile and a half back to the car, stopped at two steps and limped it back in about half an hour.

Hurts, dunnit?

Well done on the car.

• Hi Dustboy,

I wasn't hurt really...I think my pride took the biggest hit. Yours must've been awful. I remember I was out jogging once when I used jogt to build stamina for playing squash. I had only been out a few minutes and I popped my achilles. Had to walk home in agony. My fault in that I had not warmed up properly.

I assume by "sprung a few leaks" you mean had to have a pee. I think this is an occupational hazard. Thankfully most of my routes are well away from prying eyes.

Phil.    

• Nah, it was quite funny really but it does smart a bit and I take a LOT longer to heal than I used to 25 years ago. Grazes seem to take a fortnight now. Most annoying thing was I really banged up my palms and thumbs quite hard and couldn't ride my bike for about 6 weeks after. Actually, no, it wasn't funny, I've just remembered how much those hands hurt!

By sprung a leak, I mean bleed. Usually associated with picking gravel out of the skin afterwards.

• Sorry...I understand what you mean now. I've never had running injuries that would cause any blood loss...thankfully.

I was playing squash once...caught the other guy on his eye brow with my backswing...had seven stitches in his brow. Bled like hell on the court. What a mess it was.

Yes, I remember gravel burns from being a kid and coming off my bike...you do remember these things later in life.

I'm off home now for today...done my days work. No run this evening...rest day today.

Phil. 

• Have any of you fallen during runs?

Many times, usually training or on informal Hashes. Nothing anywhere near as serious as the injuries I have had from cycling.

Spoke to the lovely lady from Audiology today and she thinks she has some of those Super Seals in one of the offices, if so, I can have them. Gotta be better than buying them.image

• Hi everyone

I did a woodland run last year in the Autumn so plenty of leaves on the ground.  Only problem was they hid the tree roots and guess what tripped and twisted my ankle.  Needless to say I don't run there now when you cannot see the ground!

Exteme Muzzy - really interested on hearing how you get on with thr Superseals.

• Good morning all,

EM...I must be very fortunate in that this was my first fall. I have had falls from my cycle but only when I was a kid. I'm more aware now of the very real dangers of cycling especially off road...having said that...I still don't wear a helmet.image

Good on you if you can get the seals for nowt...I too will be interested how you get on with these. I don't thing I will use these but I'm going to try the Eargear thingies from Connevans.

Becky...I bet that was frustrating to be laid up with a twisted ankle. I think that I tripped over a tree root too...I was concentrating on my pace and failed to take notice of where I was treading...no excuse of fallen leaves.  

How regularly do you guys visit the Audiology?  I get told off because I only go when something is wrong with my aid. I get told quite sternly that I should visit more oftenimage

Phil. 

• I have had the same audiologist since I was 8, ( not to give the game away how old I am!) but its coming up 30 years.  I shall miss him when he retires in a few years.  Its awkward for me to get to hospital as I commute to London means day off work etc so I only go when I need to i.e. every 18 months for new ear moulds or if there is a serious breakdown in one of the aids.  They are really good at fitting me in quickly.  I change my own tubing, they send me replacement arms in the post and my new moulds also get sent out in post to me.    They know that if I do contact them then it is a genuine problem. 

I've been really lucky to have such a good audiology department.image

• Hi Becky,

You have been very fortunate with the audiologist. Everytime I visit the audio dept. I see a different person. The guy you see must have a real knowledge of your hearing history. You seem to be like me...only go when there is an absolute need. My local dept now have an evening clinic...this is very useful in avoiding taking time off work. Also when I had problems with my aid last year I had an appointment on Saturday morning.

Shropshire was one of the first areas to trial Digital aids...I put my name forward for the trial and was accepted. We had to give feed back to the audiologists but this wasn't too much of a difficult thing to do. We just recorded how the aid compared against the old types. I change my tubes but last time I went the audiologist wouldn't give me any tubing...told me off and said I must visit more often. I get my batteries from my GP surgery.

We hear a lot of adverse things said about the NHS but my local adiology is, like yours, excellent. Very busy but excellent!!!

Point taken about your age...it is a ladies perogativeimage

Phil.