Options

Himalayan 100

I would like to hear from people who have done this in the past few years, any info would be great ie, training routines, advice while out there etc.

Comments

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the Himalaya 100 mile stage race? If so, I've done it image
  • Options
    Yes I mean the Himalaya 100 Stage Race, Give me your thoughts! I am doing it this year.
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Aha, where to begin? I shall return........
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Right. It's hilly. Not undulating. HILLY. Mountainous even.

Day One, 24 miles ~6000 feet climb
    Day Two, 20 miles out and back, at altitude, with a fair bit of up and down
    Day Three, marathon-ish, 3500 feet ascent, 9200 feet descent
    Day Four, half marathon, about 1375 feet descent, 1585 ascent
    Day Five, 17 miles, about 1995 feet ascent in first 10k then downhill.

Basically, the first three days are VERY ROUGH underfoot. This is not 'bumpy', this is tricky for a Land Rover that's been through a war and is driven by a nutcase. You really need to be happy on uneven ground. Dodgy ankles are no use. Off-road shoes are.

Leg strength is key for all the climbing. Practise practise practise on hills. If you can find hills with rocks then even better. I simply concentrated on mileage in the months up to the trip. Don't worry about speedwork.

It's tricky to acclimatise to the altitude. You either cope or you don't. If you've added a few extra days at the beginning then it might help. I tried that but it didn't seem to do much for me. I found that from pm on race day 1 to pm on race day 3 I couldn't eat. I survived on sports drink and two bags of some sort of drip that the doctor stuck in me. Medical support is excellent.

Race support is excellent. Don't be worried by the clapped out vehicles. The logistics are fantastic. Food is very good and plentiful and the bottled water is not at rip-off prices. You can take purification tablets if you like.

Pretty much everyone wears a rucsac of some sort, most had a camelbak. The support, refuelling stations and check points are excellent but it's not the same as FLM! You'll need to be prepared for changes in temperature. It was very cold the year I did it and you start early mornings, so need to be able to take off layers and carry them.

Take a camera. Very few people are in this to win. You're in an amazing part of the world and unlikely to be back, so take advantage and capture those memories. You will get views of Everest, not many people can do that.

It is a truly amazing event.

• Options

Was it the altitude sickness that put you off your food?

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    That's all I can put it down to. The food was great but all I could do was sit and look at it! As soon as we dropped altitude on Day 3 (marathon day) I was fine and back to eating lots. Unless you've been at serious altitude before I don't know that you'll have a clue as to how you'll react. I've done plenty of skiing at reasonable altitude but there's obviously a height at which my body says it doesn't like it.
  • Options

Hi Womble, thanks for redirecting me to this much more up-to-date thread. It was very interesting and useful to read your summary above. If you do have a copy of your race report that would be great!

Do you ahve any other interesting races lined up?

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    SBarber, if you e-mail me through RW, I can send you the write-up of my trip. I've found it on my pc! Other interesting races? Hmmmm at the moment that would be telling!!!
  • Options

Hi we are booked on this trip this year. Have been talking about it for four years and now its happening. Our places and flights are booked. Very scary. Training is not quite as planned I am a bit behind schedule but did a sponsored walk at the weekend which saw us walking 9 miles on Saturday, 16 on Sunday and 10 on Monday. Trouble is walking always seems to hurt my back - I can run for miles without any ill effects but walking and my back aches for days. We have plenty of hills to train on although much of my running is on roads. Looks like I need to practice the off road stuff, running with a rucksack and invest in different shoes.

Thanks for your comments Womble - will take your advice on board 

MKW are you booked on too, if so we'll see you there.

• Options
    Yes I am booked I have done it independently rather than with 2.09 events!
  • Options
    Hey, I'm thinking about doing is event in a few years. Thank you for your imformation and good luck you two.
  • Options
    Hi, Andy here, well done to all who competed, I look forward to hearing from any of you!
  • Options

I did this race with Womble! - its a great event and the scenery is stunning - good choice!

Altitude sickness is always an unknown factor - I was OK but it is like running with socks in your mouth!!!  I always take the homeopathic remedy for Altitude sickness, works well for me.  Recently I ran in the Atacama Desert in chile which is at the same altitude and a lot of the competitors drank Cocoa tea - doesn't tast too bad either.

All the best with the race and enjoy.  A friend of mine in South Africa did it this year and she loved it.

• Options
    I think Mimi you mean COCA tea.....from the same plant as you get cocaine! it's disgusting stuff imho but the Andean people swear by it for altitude sickness. they quite often just chew the coca leaves which, if you've ever tried that, is awful!
  • Options
    Diamox and enjoy the Diamox tingle
  • Options
    never bothered with Diamox either - had it on trips but never saw a need to use it...but useful to have just in case
  • Options
    We used it for 4 days on our trip in November.. Sue wasn;t very well for a day or so, and it sorted her out
  • Options

That's what I meant! always get it wrong!

• Options
    Just drink coke and have done with it !!
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

MIMI !!!!!!!!

I wanted to get in touch with you!! Well done on your recent record-breaking jogle. I want to steal your route secrets. I'll try and get in touch - I think I have your e-mail still. Otherwise, could you e-mail me through RW, please?

<bows before hero(ine)>

• Options

Hi Womble, you can get me through my website www.marvellousmimi.com

it would be marvellous to catch up

• Options
    Found a report of this year's Race here www.ronhillsalterego.blogspot.com
  • Options

I was thrilled when my verification came through from the Guinness World Records - makes it all official - sounds daft but until I had that I couldn't really celebrate - have now drunk lots of champagne! 

Went and did a 5 day staged race in South Africa 2 months afterwards - in the mountains so stunning but hard and you have to run it in pairs - really enjoyed it but have had to ease back on training since I got back to let my body have a bit of a rest - can't believe how long it takes to recover from such a long run - that will teach me!

now i can start training for next year!

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    I'm just planning to walk it - fairly briskly! No record breaking for me!
  • Options

;0) - very happy to help just let me know what you want.  There is an American Lady walking/running it in 2010.

x

• Options
    I am thinking of doing the himalayan 100 mile stage race in Nov 2009, or possibly in 2010? Is anyone else considering taking part this year?
  • Options

Hi Claire - we took a small party of four to the event and we're looking at taking a bigger group with us again this year.

As you will have gathered its a wonderful event - let me know if you need any info.

• Options

Thanks, I'll keep you posted! imageimage

• Options

This is a fantastic event, I completed it in 2008 and wil probably do it again in a couple of years time!