Sub 3:30 Marathon

Just reading a thread below called Sub 2:30 Marathon..Hows it done ?

I thought this was a good idea so I hope mmmm...marmite doesnt mind us slower chaps taking his idea !!

My marathon PB is 3:42, my last 4 marathons (all London) have been around 3:45 - 3:56. My last London was in 06. As my name suggests I want to do 3:30 before I pack it all in - my age suggests London 09 marathon is the one to aim for. So, whats your thoughts guys. I know I really need to up mileage in general.

What have others done to improve times. To get down to 3:30 I need to knock off 25 mins from my 06 time. But as I say 3:30 is my dream and I am up for the challenge 100%

All ideas and support welcome !

Comments

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Hello 3:30!

What sort of mileage and training are you doing right now?

I'm sure you can make the improvement you hope for with more mileage, better structure to your training etc - I'm others will better be able to advise, but this is what made the difference for me... 

I ran 3:54 in FLM 2004:

My first marathon. This was on an average of 26 miles per week over 4 runs: usually 2 x 30 minute runs, one 45 minute run and a longer run which peaked at a single 21-miler. No schedule. No speed work. All steady/ slowish running.

then 3:15 in FLM 2006:

Running around 40-45 miles per week over 5 runs. Followed a schedule for the first time (RW sub 3:30 schedule). Added speed work as per schedule. 7 x 20+ mile runs in total. Swam on rest days, or instead of easy runs if I had niggles.

• K9

Incredible - I ran 3:53:47 at London that year and my weekly mileage was 25 miles ! 

At the moment I am running around 24 miles a week at around 8:45/9:00 pace, run 4 days last week. Just back from a slow 8 in 1:14:21 which is slower than I would like but am really just starting to take running seriously again after dropping off for the last few months

Seems we are in the same boat, your vast improvement seems to be from running more miles and following a schedule. I started to follow the 3:30 schedule before I pulled out of Shakespeare this year

Thanks for posting and I will gradually increase the miles and follow the 3:30 schedule from RW for London 09

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Sounds like the way to go 3:30

When I ran FLM 2006 I'd also been fairly consistently running 40 miles per week since about the July before. It's still a year until FLM 2009 so I guess you need to be starting to build your mileage from now so you start your marathon schedule from a good base.

Good luck!

• K9

Yes I am building my mileage now - last week was only 22 so I guess will be happy with around 28 this week. Rested yesterday and done 8 today

Will you / have you entered London 09 ?

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

not yet!

running another marathon in 3 weeks time.

Been injured and unable to run for 6 months of last year....just getting back on track but still not back to my previous speed. Will see how i get on in 3 weeks then decide what to do for next year!

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Interesting so far...

I must say I've found the sub-2:30 thread totally compulsive reading - another world!!

I've been in the same rut as you, 3:30, and one problem seems to be keeping some sort of fitness going over the year so that the training schedule doesn't start from scratch, as K9 says. I wonder if you need to be doing as much as 40mpw from the summer, though.

The other thing (which got me just under 3:45 this year, despite a standing start in January) is this business of your five longest runs totalling 100 miles. It was very tough this year and involved ramping up the long run distance quickly, then almost running 20s back to back for 5 weeks, but I'm sure it made a difference after the 20mile point on the day.

• Joddly

Welome ! What always throws me is if I am running even say 30 miles a week when the marathon schedules from RW start (I will follow the sub 3:30, the one thats on this site not the one in the mag) what do I do for the first weeks of the scedule when the mileage is below 30 pw ?

I will aim for 35 miles from end June onwards because I believe I never have enough mileage in my legs. I am normally good though with the longer runs and always manage at least 3x20 but that is not really enough for a serious go at sub 3:30, so will do the 5 lonest runs totalling 100 mile rule !

Also I need consistancy I need to keep motivated some weeks I am fine averaging 30 miles then slack off with lesser weeks like 15 - 15 - 10 -12 in that manner so I need consistancy

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

3:30 - Great idea for a thread.

I have been lurking with interest on the other thread, very inspiring, very informative.

I have 2 marathons under my belt, 5:19 and 4:36  still a long way even from 3:30 but thats a long term goal. But i'll not be doing another one  till next year  planning on keeping miles around 40-50 mpw minimum. And working on 5km speed through summer then  build up further  for a spring marathon in 2009 either London if i get in or another  one, i hear halstead is pretty good

I think you can pick up a lot of tips from the other thread  the basics are the same building up the miles, nutrition, weight except they are quicker

Next time i will try for  some longer races (as training runs) as i never went further than 18½ miles this time

• I have completed my second marathon. My first was in 4.35, my second in 3.38. There were 7 months between them. I'm now going to up my mileage from 30-40 to 90 miles at peak on my new training schedule. I also believe that doing over the marathon distance on a training run is a phsycological benefit to completing the marathon. My theory is if you can do over 26.2 miles regulary in training then when it comes to race day the stigma of completing the distance is banished and you can concentrate on a good time.
  • Hi  the holy grail of 3:30!  My best was after I focused on keeping speed work into plan, though its difficult not to be tooo tired to really go for it with speed reps!  I also cut the number of times a week I run, tryed to make the runs I did quality ones if you know what I mean............ average weekly mileage is 40 - 45. 

Did 800m x 8 once a week & 10 x 1 min hill reps once a week, a tempo run then my LSR so only ran 4 times a week.......... warmup/down from speed sessions used to make mileage up......  but no specific schedule, work & kids don't allow it!!!!!!!!!

got down to 3:28 '06 from 3:44 '05 using above,  since then had back operated on and can't manage speed work and hey presto my London time this year was 3:44! predictable ehimageimage

• I did the first three Edinburgh Marathons.. ( Obviously not yesterday)image  The first  and third I did in just around  3.30  The second was about 4.10  This was within a week of returning from my honeymoon and having done no training for about six months.

so my advice is

• Be young and healthy .......sorry for those of you for whom being young isn't an option
    • If not young, at least try to be healthy
    • Do train from time to time
    • If you can't get to 3.30 get as close as you can whilst still enjoying life
    • Dont do it just after your honeymoon  (run a marathon...... probably still want "it")
  • 3:30 or bust,

3:30, that's my aim for September (Jersey), last year I did 3:43.  I'm doing what Kenny recommends- except for the being young (although I might be young to some of you 43) and I'm not going on a honeymoon.

I am unsure about running long though, I may focus my training on speed and hill sessions with possibly 1 or 2 runs of over 15 miles.  We'll have to see how successfull this is.

Colin

• Afternoon all, 3.30 is an ambition for the coming 12 months. I ran 3.42 at FLM last year and think I may have gone a little quicker - though not 12 minutes if it had not been so hot.

I read on another thread regarding GFA times that there is a widely held opinion that somebody willing to run 80 miles p/w in training for 2 years should be able to achieve a GFA (3 hours for me). That level of training seems a little daunting but the general message I'm getting is the more miles covered the lower the time. Considering this what sort of mileage do you think is required for the 'average' male runner to hit 3.30?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Has to be done.... I need to get to the holy grail....... PB of 3:33 as some of you know.... did 3:43 at FLM, aiming for sub 3:30 at Abingdon..... following a mix of FIRST (Speed) RW and Coaches for Mid and LSRs) of max 5 days running and 2 days X Train and a days rest (I know thats 8 days.....) but will be a mix of the first 2....)

Good to see some familuar posters and some new names......

• Hi and good luck with your goals everyone.

Abingdon in October will be my first ever marathon.  Its too early to say whether I can do it, but I plan to religiously follow the RW 3:30 schedule on my new toy Garmin.

I started running at the start of the year and finished the Reading 1/2 Marathon in 1hr45.  Its a big ask to double the distance at the same pace, but I do enjoy a challenge!

• Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so here goes, started running in late November (last time I ran was in school about a decade ago)

Ran FLM this year, achieved a time of 4hrs54mins. Initial goal was to break the 4hr barrier, that all went out the window when I suffered a stress fracture in late December, took me around 5-6 weeks to recover. Then once recovered, in late January suffered from Plantafasictis, took around 3 weeks to recover. Trained about 8 weeks for FLM 08, averaging probably around 25-30miles per week, if that. The furthest I ever ran was 10 miles a few weeks before FLM and then about 9 days before the big day did a 16miler (was in bed like for 2 days).

So overall was quite satisfied with my performance considering after 16miles in FLM it was all new territory for me. I did quite well, my Forerunner 305 was reporting 3hrs38mins at the 20th mile, after that I just basically gave in, couldn't go anymore hit "the wall" and basically walked the remaining 6.2 miles.

Am I being too optimistic to go for sub3.30? Im fairly confident that I can do sub 4, provided that i dont suffer any injuries and stick to to a training regime. I'm willing to put the commitment and hard work in to run at least 50miles a week.  Maybe I can dream of 3.30?

• 3:30,

I was wondering the same with the schedules.  If all continues to go well, then by the time I start the 3:30 schedule I should over the start week milage.

My plan is to be strict to the schedule - this way it will keep me going when training gets tough!  If this means the first week is actually a step back, then at least this is recovery before the hard weeks ahead.

Tiger, which marathon are you running next?  From reading various plans it seems 50 miles is the range to build up to.

Had a very enjoyable bank holiday with two long runs in the early evenings.  Summer here we come!

• Jim,

In general I don't even attempt to stick to a schedule, I just use them as guides and 'cherry pick' sessions out of them.

In my  last marathon training, my weekly mileage didn't go much over 30mpw.  Depending on how things are going it might not this time either.

It is getting a bit warm for intense lunchtime sessions, even after showering I tend to drip most of the afternoon.

Colin

• Jim Clark 6

Jim I think the same as you. I will build up to around 30-35 miles a week but I am taking this as a good base for marathon training

I will follow the RW Ultimate 3:30 schedule and that will mean cutting down on miles for the first few weeks. However, the schedules will include more quality work and timed runs rather than just the base mileage. I think thats been my problem before never having enough of a good foundation of miles before trying to build on the good foundations

Good luck and keep posting

• Hello,

Is the idea behind this thread that people who have achieve that magical sub 3.30 give advice to those who haven't? If it is, then I'm in! I'm in the latter category, having run 3.35.50 at FLM this year, and would love to dip below 3.30, so I'll be keeping across this thread, posting about my training and taking on board advice.

I have lurked on various 3.30 threads before, but always felt out of my depth. But surely slicing 5 mins 50 seconds off can't be impossible if I train correctly?

• NickM

My idea was for those who have run sib 3:30 to give us wannabees some advice and tips on how to do it.

I think you should be able to knock 5 mins off by just upping the miles a bit, but of course not sure how much of an effort you made with least years training. My last marathon was a 3:54 but my dream is 3:30. I have taken advice here and from Micksta and realise I am just not running enough so hope to be up to 30-35 miles a week by time marathon training starts and then up to 50 miles a week by the time the long runs kick in.

Stick around we need all the encouragement we can get !

• Thanks 3.30 or bust, I'll definitely stick around. Great idea for a thread.

I'm not planning on running another marathon until February, so proper training will start in September, but I plan to focus on 10ks and half-marathons until then. My mileage peaked at about 50 miles for this marathon, and averaged at 40. I'll be reading with interest the advice from people here.

My mileage now is about 30 miles, which I plan to push to around 40 for the summer, with a wekly 1.5 - 2 hour run to keep my endurance up. I have a half-marathon on Sunday. Which I hope will be an indicator of how I've recovered from London.

• I maybe doing Richmond Half Sunday
  • Hello 3:30 or bust and thread, good idea.

I hope to go 3:30 so I've had a look through here. Though my next marathon is in 10 days so too late for putting tips into practice I guess. Not sure if it will be a 3:30 or not, but hope to push it close. Previous PB was 3:44 and this year I've done more weekly miles, a similar number of road LSRs but also some LDWA 20+m events to really work endurance. No set speedwork session (I'm following no particular plan) just long tempo-like runs and hillwork with club.

Mileage-wise I've steadily improved over last 6 months and have done 30-50 mpw now nearly every week this year. I reckon LSR's are hit and miss affairs in predicting time but have to be done to develop stamina/endurance, I've pretty consistently run one time per week over 10m for last 6 months. Combining that with weekly club runs at close to HM pace of between 6-9 miles since January I hope I've found the 30 seconds per mile. A recent 15m sub-marathon pace run went well.

Watching with interest, come on fast boys and girls what are your secrets image

• Well, I will tell you how its NOT done

Its not done by going out on the pi  - I mean drink on Friday and Saturday and then not doing the race you had a number for on the Sunday and then sitting in the garden again having a little tipple

I am telling you this as I so ashamed of doing it and I need a virtual kick up the ass.

3:30 - at this rate soon to be 5:30 

• haha, I think 3.30 or bust and I followed the same training plan this weekend! Expecting to be sweating Stella on my run tonight.
  • Just seen this thread - I went under 3.30 in Rome in March. This was on 2 runs a week - a 'fast' 10 miler in the week and a longer run - 15-22 miles, at the weekend. I made sure that the long run was at target pace for the marathon so that I got used to running and holding that speed - also, dont forget that as you actually run further than the 26.2 miles, you should allow for this, so all my long runs were targetted at 7.45 pace. The midweek run was at around 7.20. I know this goes against the general advice on the long run being slow, but to me this seemed logical, as geeting your pace right on the day is crucial !
  • Copwood,

I am inclined to agree about the long runs at marathon pace, interesting that this has worked for you.  Gives me some encouragement that it might work for me as well.

Colin

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Copwood, yes think that may work on the limited schedule that you did, but I doing regular speed work and running more often, that sort of didtance work would be a cause of injury.... but certainly worth a try I feel, if the time is not there..... just out of interest, how long did you train like that for Rome?
  • Copwood that is interesting...  really quite different from the advice I've been reading in other guides.  I don't think I'm capable of running long runs that hard, but I do sometimes try pushing for home for the last 3 or 4 miles.

3:30 or Bust, consider this an electronic kick from me!  I'm sure one good weekend on the tiles won't hurt though