SHADES - 10 Marathons in 10 Days 9th to 18th May

Comments

• Fantastic, Brilliant imageimageimageimageimageimageimage Shades you are truly a star.

• sunluvva

erm, i found ONE of them bloody hard today-i aint no Shades you know

• No you're Hipps and you've got the 'right stuff' to do it if you decided to give it a go!

• er, Kazz, no, that course is summat else
  • Shades,

You're just Awesome, i have massive respect for you and all the other runners who participated in the 10 in 10 !

I really hope Steve broke the world record too  .

Now rest up and just relax, (not that i need to remind you).

x

• Shades,

262 miles is a tremendous achievement that you must be really proud of, my deepest congratulations to you and all the other T.I.T.'s

So what is your next challenge?

• Congratulations Shades. It was fantastic to see all of the 10 in 10 coming across the finish line. I have posted some images so you can re-live the moment! - Follow this link   - Martin
  • Blooming fantastic achievement! Well done to all 10, but especially well done to Shades, who through this forum, and her previous work with WRN, has inspired so many others to take up running and believe that they can do what they previously considered was impossible.

Let me buy you a drink in the Plume of Feathers on the 7th!

• shades an amazing achievement/....
  • Shades, what a fantastic achievement - very well done! Now have a rest for a while!

Brilliantly done.

• Very well done Shades - fantastic achievement.
  • CONGRATULATIONS Shades! You are a star! I hope you have lots of time to rest now!
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Running out of superlatives now Shades!?

So I'll just say well done!! image
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    What fabulous pictures on the link Martin gives. Best photo's I have ever seen! Love the 10 in 10 t shirts too. image
  • Brilliantly well done Shades.

It was a pleasure to meet you yesterday.

Hope all your injures heal up quickly.

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Not sure if this will work, but here goes............

If you click on this link http://www.itvlocal.com/border/news/ it should take you to the local ITV news website.  There are two articles, primarily about Steve, regarding this event.  The 'first' is the news programme from Sunday evening 18/05/08 and the 'second' is the evening news programme from Thursday 15/05/08 (scroll down the articles just to the right of centre, and then FFWD to 20 mins).  Hopefully there will be more coverage on this eveneing's programme, so you may want to check again tomorrow.

Excellent photos BTW!

• Well done Shades, it was lovely to talk to you yesterday and you sounded so good after all you've been through.  Hope the gremlins haven't got hold of you today. Take care driving home.

Brilliant pics Martin image

• Shades,

Bloomin' well done !!!

Martin, Fantastic photos and loved the T shirts!

Well done to all 10 in 10's

• Those really are fantastic photos - really show the absolute elation of the finishers!

Massive congratulations to Shades once again.

• well done Shades - what a fantastic achievement! imageimageimageimage

I hope you've had a nice rest now and rehydrated!

• Not really given to crying in the middle of the day, but those photos are something else. If you didn't click on the link - go back a page - you won't regret it!

• Shades and all the other 10 in 10 runners.

Congrats and well done.A massive achievement and huge respect to all of you.After running the marathon myself yesterday it puts into perspective your achievement.

Great pics.

Congrats and well done.

• I have searched the tV page

but find nothing - but then, i ain't computor minded anyway

i'll wait until one of you direct thick old me LOL

• couldn't find it either! But news pages often change quite quickly i suppose.

Fantastic photos though! image

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Well it's still there!

Follow the link, then Latest New Bulletins then scroll down

• Congratulations Shades, I am in awe.  When I think how long it took me to recover after one marathon, your achievement is amazing. Hope you've had great celebrations and enjoy a well earned rest. 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Martin,

Great piccies. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

<<crawls onto thread>>

Finally home after a very long day on the M6/M5.   Had to stop a couple of times to sleep as I'm very tired, wasn't able to sleep properly at the 10 in 10 so looking forward to a good sleep tonight in my own bed.

Well it was the most amazing experience but also the most painful, mentally and physically.  

Day 9 - I nearly dropped out as I was having so much pain from my calf muscles in both legs and I couldn't bear the thought that I would have that pain for all of Day 10 too   A huge thank you to Marathon Maiden who met me en route  and accompanied me for a couple of miles, also thanks to her patient husband who waited in the car.   After that it was the physio John who kept me going and persuaded me to finish Day 9 before deciding what to do about Day 10.   Michelle also came out and accompanied me for the last mile  despite the fact that she is injured too.   I wasn't able to post on here that night as I needed treatment afterwards, then dinner and out to have my only hot bath of the 10 days, then took my phone out to do the texts etc only to find the battery was flat and the charger was back at the lodge.   Didn't get back until very late so only managed to text Hippo at midnight.

Day 10 - Overnight I had got my head together and was determined to finish, I decided to go off an hour earlier than the other Tit's.  I also decided not to have any of the physio's strapping on my leg so maxed out on painkillers I set off at 8.30 am and as usual the first 5 miles was hell, pains in calf muscles, ankles and shins.  The first of the Tit's caught up with me at 10 miles, and then the leaders of the marathon at 14 miles and the support from the marathon runners and the spectators was fantastic and kept me going and I knew nothing would stop me  from finishing.   My left shin was very sore and despite treatment from John the physio just got more painful as the miles went on, yet another injury.
    The finishing straight at Windermere is superb, great support from the crowds and the rest of the Tit's were waiting for me, lots of hugs, kisses, tears and champagne.   I should have gone for physio then but ended up in the beer tent...whoops.  Then the presentation which was fabulous.

I'm crocked now, physio says with treatment 6 to 7 weeks for calf injury and 2 to 3 weeks for shin injury on other leg, but I said 'can't I just run through these injuries', he just shook his head and said  that he can't wait to deal with 'normal' people again.
    But my injuries are minor compared to some of the other TiT's, two of them will probably be out of action for the rest of the year.

Would I do it again?.....NO, NEVER.

• Awww Shades if we'd known you were going to on, I'd have rolled out the red carpet. You've accomplished something incredible and I laughed out loud at your question to your physio!!