SHADES - 10 Marathons in 10 Days 9th to 18th May

Comments

• Great result for your second mara - well done again!

Very warm and sunny down here, so hope a few clouds are floating around your part of the world.

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Well done! I like your style - ice cream at mile 24, although I do think it's a bit shameful that someone made you pay for it! Should be getting it for nothing with the effort you're all putting in.
  • well done, shades!

love the ice cream at mile 24 - carbing and cooling in one go!

sunny again down here, but a bit of a breeze, hopefully it's cooler in the lakes

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Clag,

I do to.  After all ice creams aren't dear.

DianaD,

You have mail 

• Well done shades  fantastic

you go girl

good luck you can do it.

• bloody hell it is hot today

my half nearly killed me

hope its cooler at windermere

• Same here, Hipps. Went out with daughter, and due to her commitments, didn't get out till mid-day. 4 miles was more than enough!
  • Thought of you Shades as I churned out my not quite 12.5 miles at lunchtime.  Don't forget the suncream, I did image
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Has been really hot in Stratford this weekend, hope it was cooler in the lakes. I think you're ALL crazyimage

• Oh phew she has just checked in

she had a hard day today, 6.12, and apparently had an electrolyte drink stolen

she is ok

Phew

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

PH,

Who would want to steal an electrolyte drink?  With how warm it's been today 6.12 is still okay. 

• its a great time in this heat

shades has to pace herself though

cant believe someone stole a drink

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

PH,

Yes it is, perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. 

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Do they know who stole it?

Well done Shades, was very, very hot today.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Yes, the wheels fell off for me today.   I didn't sleep that well again, I've probably only had about 12 hours sleep in the 3 nights I've been here, quite a few of us are not sleeping well.   So I didn't feel great lining up at the start, it's now becoming hard to eat enough and at the right times for fueling too.  Started off really easily and it was very warm and humid for the first couple of hours, I was hoping that as we headed towards the lake and the well shaded roads it would cool but it just got hotter and hotter and peaked at 29 degrees and the humidity was very high.   We send our own drinks out to the drink stations which are every 2 miles, had an electrolyte drink at 8 miles, then decided I didn't want any water at 10 miles but when I got to 12 miles my bottle of electrolyte was missing (also turned out later that Michelle's sandwich had also been taken and we couldn't blame the squirrels as they'd  left the cling film behind.)   Onto the next station at 14 but I only had water put out there so had to wait until 16 miles to get my next electrolyte, during this time I was feeling pretty rough, a bit dizzy now and then.   At that drink station Paul was sitting on a step so I joined him for a few minutes then we made our way onto Bowness, where we bought tea and sat in a cool churchyard to gather out strength for the last 5 miles.

Onto the road again and I stopped to buy another ice cream (the Dales ice cream is very good) and then noticed a parked car with an Isle of Man number plate and the owners of the car turned out to be a couple that I know and last saw in August at a barbeque after IOM marathon.   The distraction helped and I was able to start run/walk again and felt OK for the last 2 miles which I ran.   It was truly a very hard day and during the worst part I hadn't told the physio how bad I was feeling in case he pulled me off the course.

Today's results

Steve 3.33
    George 4.18
    Phil 4.36
    Ray 4.38
    Jim 4.43
    Matt 4.47
    Malcolm 4.54
    Michelle 5.59
    Me 6.12
    Paul 6.16
    Sue 7.27

Sue had another tough day but she battled on and we celebrated her completion of her 150th marathon by walking down to the river this evening and she and Paul  (her hubbie) sat in the cold water to try and ease their painful legs.

Am dreading tomorrow as we've been told the weather is going to be hot again, we've since had a thunderstorm but it hasn't cleared the air

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    ((((Shades)))) - It was a hot day today. You did Good lady image
  • well done shades

I hope it is coller for you tomorrow

Hope Sue is ok

• Well Done Shades. Great running to date, It certainly puts into perspective the toughness of running Halstead in the heat today after a week's rest! This Challenge has captivated me, and I look forward to the daily reports of your's and the others' progress until next Sunday. Take it easy and enjoy the carbo-loading.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

((((Shades)))))

Hope you sleep okay tonight & good luck for tomorrow. 

• All the best - Shades

Shame about the drinks  , hope you manage to get some rest and food tonight

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    What time do you start the run each day?   I might try to pop up one day this week and cheer you on.
  • Hi Shades

You are doing well, under the circumstances. As long as you're properly hydrated, you could have a couple of glasses of wine tonight, to help you sleep. It worked for me last night!

Managed 4.37 today at Halstead. Had lowered my expectations to 4.30 because of the heat, so feel pleased and my legs are fine. Met Grecian 2000, as I came in.

Actually compared to what you're trying to do, it's no big deal. Good luck for tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you.

• Shades - you're amazing.  The weather couldn't have been much worse for you.  Trust there to be a heatwave this week of all weeks and I can't believe someone is pinching the drinks and sandwiches.  How low can some people stoop image

I've been away all weekend and only just catching up on how you've been getting on.  I truly feel for you every step of the way.

Keep going girl - praying for a good night's sleep for you tonight and an easier day for you tomorrow.

Dig in - God speed (((((((((())))))))))

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    ((( Shades ))) Really hoping its cooler for you.  You did fab considering the heat and your missing drink.
  • Shades - sorry to hear about the drink, some passing idiot probably didn't think.  Hope that they get that sorted out for you tomorrow.  We were supposed to have rain over here today but instead had sun so I hope that it has passed over us here and lands on you!!

Hope that you managed to get enough food and drink on board this evening.  Here is sending you lots of peaceful thoughts so that you get a good nights sleep.

Take care

• Really great job there Shades.  Really really really hope it's not hot anymore. You are a real heroine. WHen it's all over you can say you did the hottest 10 in history image
  • I hope it isnt too hot to sleep for you shades
  • I feel like her mum you know

Im all a fret about whether she is eating and sleeping properly