Options

No iPods or music players in road races

Comments

• Options

Going back to the original post...

but I have to admit that the thought of running a half-marathon or even a marathon (if I ever get that far!!) with no music to distract me fills me with dread. Espeically when, in smaller fields, you spend a lot of time out there on your own.

err...thats running i'm afraid!! Again someone taking part in something they don't really like...strange one.....

Hopefully a blanket ban will be a reality soon.

• Options

I'm Sorry but this subject is Boll*cks,

Some runners are rude if they wear and iPods or not!

Some will push you, cut you up if they wear iPods or not!

Some will not look over there shoulders on a road race when its not car free same as in a car or on a bike.

Some will not hear a marshall because they are zoned (I have ran past my wife and not seen her)

Can someone tell me where it says runners have to give way to runners from the rear??

If you want to get passed get passed its a race!

Why not push for a ban on beeping watches, stupid GPS watches, runners who dont take the tops of bottles turning them in to bricks for you to turn your ankle.

runners who stop at water points

Runners who just stop for no reason

This is running snobbery clear and simple!

If runners want to wear iPods/Mp3's let them , if they want to run dress as a womble let them!

Lets get people running rather than trying to put them off!

Rant over! image

To finish on I train at the gym with an ipod but DONT run or race with one.

• Options

Basically, the promoters put on event, make some sensible rules up and some runners go, nah, f**k you, I will do what I like thanks!!

Like a football manager deciding to play with 12 players, because he didn't like the rules either.

Water bottles, fiddling with watches, etc, were all here and a part of races before the sodding MP3 arrived on the scene.

If people get put off, surely they will learn to race without them, for the love of running I presume?? Or they might do a sport that they actually like..

• Options
    If the rules say no ipods - then its no ipods. Its not bleeding rocket science is it ?

I've seen idiots running with MP3 players on in the middle of the road blocking ambulances that are trying to get through to tend to collapsed runners. They are a hazard to themselves and others - and its not necessary.

Ban them and shoot anyone who infringes the rule. Simple.
  • Options

In 490 BCE, Pheidippides, a Greek soldier, ran from Marathon to Athens (about 25 miles) to inform the Athenians the outcome of the battle with invading Persians. The distance was filled with hills and other obstacles; thus Pheidippides arrived in Athens exhausted and with bleeding feet. After telling the townspeople of the Greeks success in the battle, Pheidippides fell to the ground dead after being killed by running snobs for wearing a ye old ipod. In 1896, at the first modern Olympic Games, held a race of approximately the same length in commemoration of Pheidippides. image

• Options
    So what your saying is its not Ipods, it rule breakers your against??
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that if a race referee DQ'd runners for wearing an ipod, then the ipod wearers would perhaps listen. multiple DQ's for transgression gets a ban from races

many of us around here are triathletes - one golden rule is to wear a bike helmet or do not race - and it's a rule that's enforced even though many do not wear helmets in training and there is no law enforcing a rider to wear one.

as cougs says - it's not bleeding rocket science
  • Options
    The way I see it, if you have to distract yourself from running with music because you find it so tedious, you clearly don't enjoy it anyway. Even if I ran with an iPod, I think I would understand and accept that there are more important things than my own need for music... like safety.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

But, realistically, how could such a rule be enforced?

Most marshals at club-organised events are volunteers, who have to be pursuaded to be involved in any case. 

Add the role of policing the iPod ban (and the aggro that will doubtless go with it), and you'll have even fewer volunteers.

Also, in winter races where many people wear hats or ear bands covering their ears, how will the Ipod police be able to tell who's wearing one?

These days, people have a tendency to not obey rules just because they think the rule is silly.  Look at the ranting of the anti-speed camera folk, who think they should be able to drive as fast as they wish.

• Options

There are two issues here!

Runners who wear Mp3s while they run in a race or training

and

Runner who break the rules of an event.

the two are very seperate issues....

• Options

Yes I love running, but after spending nearly 6 hours running a rather hilly marathon and spending a good 4 of them running alone in terrible weather, I think its a little ridiculous to say that I need to find a sport I enjoy, just because I ran with an ipod.  There are only so many thoughts you can go through in that many hours.  After that length of time I would be amazed if anyone WASN'T completely in a world of their own, ipod or not. 

• Options
    Beach Bum surely the issue is really people who are just rude and oblivious of anyone else around them?
  • Options
    Toomuchtoodo wrote (see)
    Beach Bum surely the issue is really people who are just rude and oblivious of anyone else around them?
    Yep sure is, I made that point earlier. image
  • Options

image  Sorry I just find it really annoying that I should have to give up using an MP3 player, even when running on a pavement, alone and in the middle of nowhere, because its rude and dangerous - but then get spat on, barged out the way, have things thrown at me, can't get past the 8x girls all running together in a line across the road and made to fall over by the bloke darting off in front of me on his phone.   And I'M the evil one here - apparently.

• Options
    I'm really not bothered if people use them to train with - thats their own lookout really. I do it myself sometimes and am always wary about running past drives - I cant hear cars reversing and cant see into the drive.

At least if you run with one in training you arent risking other people - if something goes wrong - it will probably be you who suffers.

If a race rule is no ipod - then DQ Ipod wearers. Or let them pay the insurance bill if they cause an accident !
  • Options
    cougie wrote (see)
    I'm really not bothered if people use them to train with - thats their own lookout really. I do it myself sometimes and am always wary about running past drives - I cant hear cars reversing and cant see into the drive. At least if you run with one in training you arent risking other people - if something goes wrong - it will probably be you who suffers. If a race rule is no ipod - then DQ Ipod wearers. Or let them pay the insurance bill if they cause an accident !

As prevoiusly said

So people are against rule breakers NOT iPod wearers??

So like the Derby 10 k in April said we advise you not to wear "IT DID NOT BAN MP3's"

The iPod haters will still hate iPod wearers whether they are banned or not!

• Options
    I dont hate ipod wearers - I use one myself when I want.

And why would you NOT be against rule breakers ? Yeah - cut that corner off the course - thats fine by me. Sure do it on your rollerblades - not a problem.
  • Options

Dont get me wrong I am against rule breakers!

If it says no ipod then its no ipods no excuses

But I would love to see the evidence of why they ban them!

I was only trying to put across that even if the event had not banned iPods there are runners who will still dislike them for wearing iPods so there is the two issues Rule breaking and ipod wearing.

• Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

If you have a rule banning ipods, it is simple enough to enforce - you just disqualify them & they don't appear in the results or get prizes.  It would be daft to try to physically haul ipoders out of races.

If you don't ban them, you put up with them.

"Advising against" just sounds silly - sort of disapproving but not doing anything much about it...

• Options

Dear Beach bum 

Please read my previous comments as to the evidence as to why they should be ban in races.

• Options

Ipods should be banned in all races, period!

I don't use ipod's in training, and I would never dream of wearing one in a race.  It's anti-social, dangerous and tells me that the person wearing one is not a serious runner!  

The running club I'm a member of runs two races a year and headphones are banned in both.  If people are seen wearing them at the start line, they either remove them or are not allowed to race.  If a steward sees a runner with headphones during the race, that runner is pulled out.  If a runner crosses the finish line with headphones, they are instantly disqualified and don't receive a time or t-shirt/medal or whatever, simple as!

• Options
    Colonel Blimp wrote (see)

Ipods should be banned in all races, period!

I don't use ipod's in training, and I would never dream of wearing one in a race.  It's anti-social, dangerous and tells me that the person wearing one is not a serious runner!  

The running club I'm a member of runs two races a year and headphones are banned in both.  If people are seen wearing them at the start line, they either remove them or are not allowed to race.  If a steward sees a runner with headphones during the race, that runner is pulled out.  If a runner crosses the finish line with headphones, they are instantly disqualified and don't receive a time or t-shirt/medal or whatever, simple as!

AND THERE SIR, IS THE ANSWER FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT WELL DONE COL BLIMP

"IPOD RUNNER ARE NOT SERIOUS RUNNER!"

RUNNER SNOBBERY PLAIN AND SIMPLE WE DONT WANT NON SERIOUS RUNNERS IN OUR RACES

I may even start wearing one so I dont have to listen to runner who have there head up there own ****

• Options
    Peter Wood 21 wrote (see)

Dear Beach bum 

Please read my previous comments as to the evidence as to why they should be ban in races.

Dear Peter Wood 21

Re read my comments and I have answered your "Evidence" ( I use the term loosely)

I am not saying runner should wear ipods if they are banned in a race.

I am saying the "Rule" used to ban them is not a ipod ban its device ban so role on GPS, Beeping watches ban!  I think not serious runners use them dont they!

• Options
    Beach Bum wrote (see)
    AND THERE SIR, IS THE ANSWER FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT WELL DONE COL BLIMP

"IPOD RUNNER ARE NOT SERIOUS RUNNER!"

RUNNER SNOBBERY PLAIN AND SIMPLE WE DONT WANT NON SERIOUS RUNNERS IN OUR RACES

I may even start wearing one so I dont have to listen to runner who have there head up there own ****

What a pathetic response to a valid point.  And if you are going to throw personal insults at people, learn to spell! 

Remember, attack the post, not the poster. 

• Options

You wrote it !

It was not an attack on you, at least you had the guts to write the real reason why you dont like ipods.

This is about running snobbery I have said it before and you just confirmed it, everyone skirts around it

But what they are saying is

slow runners wear ipod fat runners wear ipods non serious runners wear ipods.

So no it was not an attack on you Colonel.

As for spelling, brain works faster than fingers!

• Options
    Paula wears an ipod in training and I think she could be considered "a serious runner!"
  • Options

...and does she wear them in races????

Thats the whole point! training = if you want to, racing = no!

Blimp - good race organisation mate, not snobbery at all.

Running - the only sport where the competitors decide to do what the hell they like and ignore simple rules, where enforced.

• Options

Good Morning

I just brought an Ipod with Nikeplus from Portsmouth when I did the Needles and its much better then Garmain because Nike+ never loose signals in the Woods?

Check Nike Website because there a new watch Digital out soon from next monthimage

• Options
    Do you work for Nike SPeedy?? image
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

I wrote the race instructions for the Poole 10k I quote

"Please refrain from wearing ipods and the like, you may not hear instructions from marshals or runners closing behind, especially at a water station. "

The Poole 10k has a tight and twisty turny course at the start and is crowded for the first 2km along Baiter path and some of the course takes you onto a road although on the pavement it does get congested.

That said its a well supported race and its unlikely you will ever get lonely.image

I have absolutely no problem with someone wearing a ipods and Mp3 players when training.I wear one myself sometimes.

We didnt put the rule in as an arbitrary item just to wind people up,its a general concern for safety, yours and those around you.

We have been advised to do this by EA and by the Road Race League Referee (EA representative on the day) and by St.Johns in their risk assessment and by the risk assessment done by us on behalf of Poole Runners and Borough of Poole.

Im sorry if this causes any inconvenience.You will find  race organisers will be banning their use more and more so as not too invalidate  insurance.