305 or 405

2»

Comments

• sheddysheddy ✭✭✭

Have a look at this page on the Garmin website.

The main one seems to be the ability to store routes and also the multisport thing. I think the 205/305 has some display features to do with the GPS that the 405 doesn't as well.

I have to admit I don't really know whether these features are a big loss or not as I've never owned or used a Garmin or similar before but on the flipside all the features the 405 has that the 205/305s do not I'm definately not bothered about. Namely:

Autosync: Not bothered about as I'll almost certainly plug it in to charge after each workout anyway so it's not much extra effort to plug it in to the PC as well.

Transfer data to other devices wirelessly: Can't see myself ever using that.

Sports watch: Not sure exactly what that means. I assume it's refferring to the fact you can wear it as a normal watch for up to 2 weeks but I'd only ever want to wear my forerunner when training anyway.

• You can store "courses" on the 405, it's just you have to create them on the GTC and transfer them over.

Whats the difference between a "route" and a "course"?

• EEK - I just ordered my 405. Have been using the masive (but all very ok) 201 for the past year and a bit so decided to invest.

HAVE I MADE THE RIGHT DESSION??? we will see as it arrives tomorrow image) ps thanks for the tip on where to get it for a good price!!!

• You HAVE MADE THE CORRECT DECISION 1000% It is an amazing piece of kit , fits much better , does all the necessary things the 305 does, I haven't found something I used on my 305 or 301 yet. I do workouts on 405 fine as well. GTC works firn , Connect a bit slow but GTC is a good base setup. I also dont use mine except for training (well I dont wera any watch actually!)

Enjoy your 405!

• cool thats good to hear.

Whats GTC??

• Garmin Training Centre, it's the program suite that all your info from your watch goes into.

I prefer Sport Tracks myself though.

• owww this is all new stuff to me........... my 201 just told you the here and now stuff..... looking forward to getting my hands on it!

image)

• um, I use the nike plus and if you dont lock the dial, you just need to press the centre button and it tells you in the earphone how far, how long and pace. Depends where you have it I guess. I tried GPS but I have gone 2 miles before it will read anything. I think it depends on your area.

happy hunting

• PC World online have both the Forerunner 205 and 305 on sale for £79.97.

Went into local store today but they didn't have any instore, however, Currys next door had a 305 in for £80 but unfortunately I cannot afford it until I get paid next week.

• What is the cheapest place on the net for a 405? can anyone post links? Many thanks.

• Globalgizmos, with HRM and ANT £219.99
  • Also there are some going on ebay for around the £200 mark, however you have to bid for it and might not be so lucky.

I got mine from Global gizmos as above and it arrive 16 hours later!!! how fab is that.

I'm now learning how to use it!

And for anyone thinking about one. Yes they are still a little large (for a lady) and the strp doesn't look that long if your a beef blokey but its a hell of a lot better than the 305 size wise.

All depends on what you want it for - I'm well chuffed with mine so far

image)

• Seems pretty simple to me - if you're skint, a skinflint or a fan of Star Trek buy a 205/305 otherwise buy a 405........
  • £80 from PC world is a bargain for the 305! Why pay £140 extra for a 405 which has exactly the same features just looks nicer?
  • Because some people are shallow image

It's not the only reason, it's smaller, lighter, acquires satelittes almost instanely, has wireless syncing.

Of course, if none of those features float your boat, your not bothered with the size, or look of the 305, then yeah, £80 for a 305 is a bargain image

• I was tempted by the 405 but changed my mind when I saw the PC World 305 price. Be warned though they are dangerous nearly tripped over a dog the other day while checking my pace.