Sunday 18th May 2008

2»

Comments

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Well done Hipps - what's the total now? When will you reach 100? You know it is not over when you reach 100 - those guys never stop.

Will you have a go at Comrades?

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Joe, Hipps & Micksta.
    Gobi - right move in the circumstances, and a brave call after distance PBs en route.
    Pammie, Stickless - decent runs there.
    RFJ (I think) on discussions of men only races: I meant to say that there used to be a 'dads & lads' race over 5km in Basingstoke, early May Bank holiday. Didn't see it advertised this year.

Me? Well mates 40th in Stow this weekend.Drove up Friday evening after my bro & sis-in-law arrived to look after the girls. In the pub by 10, so no running. Saturday, a.m. walks and a look round with the missus before meeting friends (8 others) for lunch, the boys then on to another venue to watch 'Wales' lose teh cup final. Evening dinner with friends and batted on into the small hours. Sunday, left at 9, home by 10.30 out straight away for village 10mile run (plus fun runs). 10yo did the 2.5 miles in 23mins, I did the same run with my 6yo. Ran non stop (her, not me) in just under 27mins, but for me no further hamstring tweaks. Back to ours for bbq and beers and a laze in the sun.
    So light mileage week, mara training not really going to plan at the moment...

Have a great week ahead.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Joe, an excellent weekend of marathon running well done

Gobi - Sorry things went bad for you but you did the sensible thing, and THE race is comrades, so recover and best of luck for that

NZC - Thank you as always.

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Evening

Etape du Dales today. 112 miles cycle through the Yorkshire Dales taking in as many hills as possible. Felt pretty rough to start with, either because of the race yesterday or a hangover image. Thought about giing up at the first checkpoint at Hawes but battled on and finished in 8:38. Absolutely knackered now and I'm off to bed.

Night all.

• wow what a thread. Think you are all way too good runners for me. I can run a 10k in 1.04 so a bit slow i think.My goal is to run it sub 1hr then take it from there. I am running home from work tuesday , 8 & half miles. Never ran that distance before so any good advice would be great
  • 's Ok hipps, let off steam.

Gobi - I guess ultra-runners must have an attitude that doesn't leave space for dnf. Which must make it harder when it does occur. Take care.

Joe - lots of running there, well done.

BR - I just thought I was extra special image

Micksta - not just well raced, but when you came past your running looked good. Thousand times better than last time I saw you. Most pleasing.

Me? Larkfield 10k too.
    As Micksta indicated already, prize for most idiotic racing today I probably should claim. 'What was I thinking?' Ergmm, nothing at all, apart from 'oh, crap' at 2k, when my idle hope of a bad first k-marker was crushed. By then I was in a nice group, so tried to roll with it and desperately failed, fading and ultimately slowing down patethically in k 6 and7. Somewhat avoided disaster by decentish running in k 8 and 9 in an ill-fated face-saving exercise.
    Short but sharp hill in k 10 wasn't funny.

If Micksta's quote with the splits a 3k didn't tell the story, try this for size:

2k - 7'00"
    5k - 18'40"
    10k - 39'02" - 8 second PB by virtue of having a soft PB to begin with. Was looking for at least 30" faster and perversely going through 2k 30" slower would have increased chances of that happening immensely.

Didn't like the course much either. Few short turns early on and the puddly paths (although nicely hard packed paths) made for uncomfortable running where you can't just lock into a rithme. Didn't have problems dodgeing walkers and dogs, but the potential for trouble is huge.

What: racing 10k like a headless chicken
    Why: Why? indeed
    Last hard: well, if you run them this stupidly, 10k's are definately hard
    Last rest: yesterday

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Welcome Adrian

Runners of all standards here  so you'd bwe more than welcome

Only advice i can give you as you've not run that far before, take it a bit slower than you would normally Good luck with that

Dustin - sounds a good weekend, and well done to your 10 y-old and 6 y old.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Bravo Podro!!!   Nice flattish bit to get your confidence up, was it??

Hipps, you're allowed to be cross, and a bit of me smiles to hear you call a 4:43 mara a mare.  Times change.  Well, for some of us.

Adrian, there are some superstars on the thread, but if you look close not all of us run spectacularly fast, or even fast.  Welcome.  Stick around, its a good place.

Nowt from TmR yet.  Oh well, have to wait til tomorrow I guess. 

• Thanx for the welcome pammie & ta for the advice.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

NZC - you have to have the right sort of group, and the pacing really matters.  I thoroughly enjoy my tiny group at work, but when we go out I am doing my absolute flat out best to keep up a respectable pace.  The 4+ miles that we run really push me.  Running with people simply has to count as speedwork for me.  I was really pleased to find that the mental gymnastics was very effective at passing the time.  Moreover, there's plenty more where those games came from, so I may have solved pacing problems.

Other small triumph - I figured out a comfortable way of wearing a drink bottle belt.  Previously I had the belt done up pretty snugly, and the bottle bouncing up and down on my sacrum was v. uncomfortable.  This time I left the belt rather loose and shift it round so the bottle was resting to one side.  Somewhat to my surprise it stayed there, no problems.  Yippee.  Saves me wearing a backpack.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Welcome Adrian, as pammies says, all standards welcome here and a ot of learning, understanding, and at times painful self analsys.....

Another one ticked off PH.

Well done Imski.

Off to bed now, take care <><

• Stickless, thanks, and glad it inspired you to run your 12ml today, and thank for all the good wishes beforehand.  

I've just got back from Cardiff.   Actually I don't think I did start too fast,!  But sad to say, I DNFed too, just after halfway.  Even if the first few laps I was feeling uncomfortable, and falling behind my intended pace, which should be been really easy, at least for the first half, as it was slower than Draycote 35, on an easier course, and I've done lots more miles, and long runs since then.  If it had unravelled after that I would have been less surprised, and maybe thought I'd gone off too fast, or not maintain the high mileage for long enough, or not enough really long runs. 

After about 10mls it felt as though I'd one 20ml+, and I was taking little unintended walk breaks.  When Gobi and Matt the Brum, running together, passed me on my 3rd lap, when I had calculated that they should pass me on the 4th lap, my first thought was that I had aready slowed, but that was not actually the case (ask Gobi!).  But thereafter I really did slow, and it quickly got worse and worse, and by about 26ml I knew I wouldn't even make the 12hr cut off, let alone the 10-10:30, worst case target.  I struggled on till 50k, but by then I knew it was more than just a bad patch I was going through, and would have to run the second half considerably quicker than the first half - a very unlikely scenario at the best of times.  At  the end of that lap I sat on the grass and ponder a bit, but I realised that trying to start up again with so far to go was really not an option, so I sat on the grass some more, mithering to myself....

Maybe it was that I had tried to squeeze too many long runs and miles into too short a space of time, and that I hadn't recovered from the Neolithic marathon 2 weeks ago, despite the very aggressive taper since then.  More. I think it was probably a gut issue - no, not as Paula's, but the other way round. OK , too much info, but usually I go the loo very soon and easily after breakfast, but neither then nor just before the race was I able to.  There were portaloos on the 2ml loop, so I was confident that once I started running, and although it would waste a bit of time, the urge would come.  I must have gone into the loos about 6 times in an effort to relieve discomfort in my gut, but to no avail.  I was eating my planned nibbles at regular intervals, though this was making the gut more uncomfortable.  When I cut back on eating I felt better, but am sure it would have had other repercussions later. 

Does anyone know what affect this would have on diverting blood to the gut, or on HR and therefore percieved effort (perhaps these are the same things) ?.  Anyhow, its not a problem I can ever remember having - usually its the quite the reverse, but its the only thing, with perhaps the psychological effect of percieving it to be a problem,  that I can think that accounts for the dismal performance.  Very fed up, as I had really enjoyed, and felt I'd done well in my other ultras.  And one of the Scottish women who was only 10 mins ahead of me at Draycote did 9:18, so adding say 20-30mins on for being twice as far (not even quite that) would have given me the sort of time that I would have been very happy with, and makes me think that my target wasn't too unrealistic.

• sorry to hear that TMR

I have fuel issues like that in almost every race

no idea what the solution is, excpet not to eat-sigh

maybe you should ask William Sichel

i gather he has had issues like this

• I am very rude

sorry

Hi adrian!

NZC-today is no 76

It hurt a lot

lets see what happens next week

i didnt do 10 maras in 10 days, not like those others-dear god how did they do that

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that TMR - did you have a support crew? I know a woman here in NZ who was a very good ultra runner, but she always had someone to massage her, and get her fuel sorted etc - she used to do those 24hr events - running around in circles - she only had to worry about getting through the pain barrier - she had other people worrying about everything else. 

Hipps - on the homeward bound now - 10 marathons in 10 days.....don't really know what to say. We used to have an Auckland to Wellington event here years ago, probably could get my head around that.

I have fuel issues too. I don't eat before a marathon, only have a big meal the night before, but always seem to run out of energy. Found squeezies and flat coke with water get me home though. Think when running ultras the fuelling must be hugely important.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Comrades in 4 weeks, and from what I recall that was your A race, not this one. Sounds sense to me. Sense can be very unpalatablel, and yes, I have hated every time I pulled up. Just add it on to the Comrades account: one more reason to give it everything. Two of those monster runs inside a month is a big ask, careful recovery planning required.

Bravo Joe, Micksta. Sounds good.