Options

St Catherine's Hospice Crawley 10K and Fun Run

2»

Comments

• Options

I got a PB which I was pleasantly surprised with. Even so, this is the fourth time I have run the Crawley 10K on two different routes and every single time the KM markers have been all over the place! I have commented on this here twice before. 

I got 45:15 overall - and, by my reckoning, 5:52 for the 4th Kilometer ( OK it was the toughest) and 2:52 for the10th KM. Not in a million years was I that quick - indeed it is not far off world record pace for 10,000m!

It would be a real pity if the overall distance is so far wrong as it would detract from what is a very good event - IMO one of the best 10K courses there is.

• Options

5.92 miles? If that is true, then its only 9.5k - we need to investigate this before I accept I ran sub42. Its very annoying if they dont measure a distance properly. I dont mind the KM markers being a bit off, but when you have a chip, then it surely should be rigth on the 10k  for total race length?

• Options

well done on your time Cara,even if you feel that the distance was short!!!

was JulietR there?

• Options

Hmm, well I was pleased with my time of 56.53, which is well under the 1 hour I was aiming for.

I timed the last 1k as 3.39, which surprised me, though I did feel like I was flying along the lap of the track.

Though as it was the same course as last year, I'm pleased I ran it 6 minutes faster. Though its still a few minutes outside my flat 10k PB.

• Options

I have looked at some of the times from last year including my own time. They were a lot slower last year, however you could put that down to:

1) It was a brand new course for everybody and hard to judge the hills

2) It was very warm last year

Assuming last year's measurement was correct, I don't think they would have adjusted the overall length this time. Can a gps signal be affected by the mass of trees?

I hope it was a true 10K anyway as many people did really well.image

• Options

I just made an attempt at mapping the route on MapMyRun (from memory) and came up with 9.67K.

Can someone take a look and tell me if I got the route correct?

The link is http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/gb/crawley/109744318

• Options
    Pretty amateur start - late running with no PA system.  Good course, well signed etc, happy and supportive marshal's, poor goody bag.  The course was short - my PB was improved by 2 mins 30 seconds!. 
  • Options

The Garmin is usually pretty good even when it looses signal - mine shows that the signal was fine though so I don't think that was the issue... anyone else got a garmin?

Not sure if this will work, but here's the link to the map my Garmin produced...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/kml/episode.kml?episodePkValues=6233925

• Options

Its really annoying when you are a running enthusiast to have doubt on the course lenght. I am pretty sure based on the above that the course was only 9.7k, and that means PB's that were attained on Sunday need to be scratched from memory.

If the organisers go to all the hassle of setting the race up, getting a good number of runners, sorting out chipped timers, measuring it all out etc, etc how can they not get the distance right? It actually makes no sense to me.  I am a stickler for times it has to be said, but this has put a real downer on the run for me.

• Options

Well, you can only run the route they provide for you, so what can you do?

I suppose some of the K markers might have been a little out, as I guess they can only attach it to the nearest tree.

But yes, that last K seemed very short. 1k is 2 and a half times round the track. We didn't do a full lap for the finish, so does anyone this the rest of the distance can be made up from the sign and through the car park? Not sure really

• Options

That was my first official 10K, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I do agree with Pete though, that last 1km was only about 500m long (according to my GPS watch!)

Great day though.

• Options

I agree the course was short. My Garmin measured it as 9.69km (6.02 miles), and that includes 20-25m to get to the start line. It's difficult to understand why it was so far out. The last km was short - the Garmin gives this as 746m.

I agree it would be nice to run a course that is accurately measured as 10K. But I'm not sure how accurate you can expect a cross-country course to be (I recall the Knole Park 10K earlier this year was also significantly short, also causing some runners there to be talking about their PBs). And you really wouldn't expect to get a PB on a cross-country course with its hills, obstacles / pinchpoints and stretches of single file running along narrow tracks. Better to run on one of the flattish, certified accurate road courses if you're after a PB. 

On a minor point, I was puzzled by the failure to use the electronic timing to work out true race places. I thought chip timing would be a great idea given that with masses of runners on the track at the start, it would take many runners time simply to reach the start line after the gun (or whatever it was) went off. Chip timing would give them more accurate times (though we now know the distance wasn't quite 10K).  But while the results do indeed show "chip times" as well as race times, the race places aren't based on the chip times. So in my case, for example, I was actually faster on chip timing than the two runners who finished immediately ahead of me (including one who sprinted past on the finish line!). Perhaps they'll get round to publishing race places based on chip times in due course.

These small points notwithstanding, many thanks must go to St Catherine's Hospice for organising an enjoyable event. I hope they have raised lots of money for their good work.

• Options

My Garmin measured 9.54K. I noticed it beeped at me for the first K well before the marker so I was a little suspicious early on. Last year was very hot and I did 49:50ish. This year I am a lot fitter but the difference was amazing, 42:44. I measured the course last year using the same watch and it was 10.07K. From what I remember, I don't think the course was any different. I have no idea about the technical aspects of GPS sysytems but I know mine (305) can be unreliable at times regardless of weather, trees etc. Is it possible that it if was out for 1 of us it would be out for all?

Still, it's a great course and a good day. Thank to the St Catherine's team. I really enjoyed it. We should all be pleased wih the PBs !! I love running past the grandstand I getting a ripple of applause. Makes you feel like a professional!

• Options
    The course has to be different it you just went from 49:50 to 42:44!
  • Options

And no way can I be pleased with a PB over a course that was 9.7k or less - it makes no sense, as any future races you will not be able to beat it (fairly, all other things being even) if the race is a "true" 10k.

• Options
    Going back to Martin's point on places, this comes up quite often on this forum.  The answer which is always given is that it is a race, not a time trial, and under the rules of the governming body places are determined by the order in which you cross the line.  I have never looked up the rules to check if this is correct.
  • Options
    Last year (2007) there was a loop just after you reached the woods (after 0.5km) which was about 600 meters. Then later in the race, after approx. 7.5 km, the playing field we ran around this year (300 meters) was bypassed last year.  Hence, this years race was roughly 300 meters short unfortunately.  
  • Options
    How hard can it be to ensure you are at least within 50m of 10k?
  • Options

Anyway I have calmed down a bit now ! Got this back from the organisers:-

As the event is multi-terrain it doesn't need to be officially measured

by any of the governing bodies as a road race would have to be and it

doesn't need to be 100% accurate. Any off-road distance is only

approximate as it is impossible to measure uneven ground with the

special calibrations that course-measurers have to use.

Basically I go out around the route with a trundle wheel and measure the

course myself. We do try to make sure that we're as close as possible to

the distance but there will always be discrepancies.

For instance last year we were told by one or two runners with GPS that

we were about 300m over the 10k distance so when we altered the start of

the route this year we thought we would have those 300m to shave off

(presuming that GPS is more accurate way of measuring), but maybe it

appears he was wrong and we have taken too much off.

I hope this helps and sorry if it does come up short, but as I'm sure

you'll appreciate it is very hard to get a truly accurate multi-terrrain

10k.

• Options

I was just about to post the same thing as I got that response too! I'm glad they replied and hopefully they'll increase the distance a bit for next year.

It was a great 10k and well organised so i'm going to just enjoy the fact I did it!

• Options
    I agree - a great 10K, well organised, varied and interesting course, and all in support of a very deserving hospice serving our area. My running club was pleased to support St Catherine's. We all enjoyed the race, which was the first time we had done it, and we'll be back again next year. As I said above, if you want to set a new 10K PB go and run a certified accurate road course. You can't really expect exact distances on a multi-terrain course, and even if the distance given happened to be dead accurate, you'd still have unreasonable expectations if you thought you would get a PB on such a course. In fact you're more likely a few minutes down on your road 10K time. Instead, enjoy the race for what it is.  .
  • Options

I am not saying I didnt enjoy it - I am saying, I was upset that I can't claim a PB, and the distance was to blame for that. I wanted it clarified, if it was pretty much on 10k, then I would be very happy with 41m23s! As it is my previous road 10k is 42m17s - had this been a flat course then that "probably" would have been beaten, but who knows. I loved the course, dont get me wrong.

Now it is "officially" not 10k, I will still know my PB is 42m17s, and that has made me happier about the sunday race and time.

• Options

Hmm, an interesting reply.

But, I did South Downs Marathon in June, and thats pretty much all off road and there were no complaints about the distance being out there.

• Options
    St Catherine's Hospice have sensibly changed the date of the Crawley 10K, so it doesn't clash with the (infinitely superior) Wivelsfield Woodland Wobble!

This "popular multi-terrain race through Tilgate Forest" will be on Sunday 18th October 2009, starting from the K2 Leisure Centre.

Entries will open on 1st June 2009.
  • Options

I'm just going to be glad to make it around quite frankly! Only been running 3 months and this is my first 10k.

Having said that I want to attempt a decent time and don't want to be stuck behinf walkers!

emma