Missing Ingredient?

Hi, Looking for some general advice, as I seem to be at the stage where I can't improve my running, and am running races the same speed as 4 years ago, even though my training is increased.

I currently run 4 - 5 times a week (mixture of intervals, hills, easy runs and one long run) and do weights twice a week. I also walk 6-10 miles every Saturday with my other half.

Problem is I seem to be missing that extra something - feel quite tired and sluggish most days, and have run some disappointing races this year. Am I missing out on something ?- can anyone recommend anything to help me get back on track again (stretching / cross-training / diet / supplements)

I'd be greatful for any advice, thanks!

Comments

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

You don't say how far/how long you're running but I think that discounting illness (I'm assuming you're not ill?) you're probably doing too much.  It could be time to rethink your entire approach to exercise and decide what you want out of it.  If you want to run faster then you should drop at least one of the weights sessions and find a training plan for the distance your interested in.

• Thanks for the advice. I generally tend to run 5 & 10K's so train 4-5 miles 3 times a week, with a longer run of about 8 miles. I dont think I'm ill, other than having IBS, I've had no colds or flu in over 2 years.

I guess outside factors like work, family life etc might also account for the tiredness. Very busy in work and doing up a new house, so perhaps I should take things easy for a few weeks. Can't do everything at once I guess image

Would still like to aim for a good time in a local 10K race on 22nd June - Any more ideas anyone?

• 4 to 5 times a week possibly is too much! I'm training for a half-marathon at the moment, and im only training 3 times a week.

In the last month i've set 3 PB's (70 seconds for 400m, 5'05" for 1600m and 19'32" for 5k)

The importance of rest and recovery cannot be overstated.
    You have to remember that a triangle of factors exists for progression: Volume, Intensity and Frequency.

You cannot increase all three at once, so pick one and work at it. Particularly if it means using one you haven't really focused on much before. 

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hello i don't know how long you have been doing your current schedule. But i am a firm beliver in that old quote. "If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got"

So maybe its time to make a few slight changes to your current rota (of course home/work issues can effect the running, so perhaps take it easy for a few weeks* while  you can get on top of these things)

* though i understand you have a race next month