Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• The weather forecast isn't great but they usually exaggerate the strength of the wind on the website. It didn't look too bad on the telly forecast this morning. On a roughly circular course it's not going to be head-on for most of the time anyway.

I don't mind rain too much during a run but it's a drag getting wet while preparing to start. I'm guessing as it starts in the castle grounds there won't be much if any shelter.

Really really looking forward to it now though. I'm running with a workmate of my step-daughter, my usual running partner who's injured. He's quicker than me though so I'll really need to be disciplined enough not to go too fast for my own pace early on. On the other hand, he might push me to a very good time. I'll be dead chuffed with anything under 2 hours.

Next year we're going to take the hit of a slightly higher fee and leave it a bit later to enter in case of injuries. With no deferments etc it's expensive to miss out. 

• My earlier x-post was started before yours Heather, wasn't trying to contradict! 35mph winds?? Eek.
  • Good running on Sunday everyone, this is probably my last chance to post beore the race, it's been a pleasure to meet some new friendly voices, and take abuse from some I've spoken with before  if you see a fat bloke in a wrecsam tri vest  at about 1.55 pace, say hi. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one from our club entered so little chance of you having an embarrassing "thought you were somebody else" moment.
  • If you don`t like the weather forecast here is a good tip from SM

Browse the net for different forecasts eg. bbc , msn , sky , yahoo ..etc etc and eventually you will find a better forecast to believe in.
    They also change every day in such a way that they are all neeely right on the day.
    Mike you will be delighted to know you are similar pace to me so I will watch out for u. Failing that maybe see you at the Sheep mount but remember you are not in Wales now....it`s a place name not an instruction.
  • Good luck everyone. I'm really looking forward to this now. It will be my third GCR (only missed 2006 because I was doing the Cardiff marathon on the same day).

Metcheck has light rain and 17mph southerly winds which doesn't sound too bad. You can just draft in behind someone bigger than you if the wind is too strong anyway.......

Re hills, thanks for the info Heather. If that hill coming out of the park is the worst one then it doesn't sound too bad although it knocked me out of my rhythm a bit last year. I think a course with a few gentle ups and downs can be as fast as a flat course as long as the hills aren't too steep as you can pretty much gain on the downhills what you lose on the uphills. Hopefully.

CUFC fans - I'll be going to watch your local team play Peterborough tomorrow. I'm expecting a cultured display of skill, flair and fast attacking football for my entry fee.....................

• XBXB ✭✭✭

Afternoon. I'd forgotten about this thread.

I'm really looking forward to this race. I didn't realise you'd be there, SM. You'll be cruising past me at about mile 7 looking cool and relaxed while I'm struggling after blasting off too fast at the start.

• Good old Premier Inns have come up with the goods - that is thay can accommodate us for tomorrow night so that's one less thing to worry about!

Weather don't sound too great but prefer it a bit cooler than too warm!

I know what I think SM - but I wouldn't presume to cast aspersions about character!!!!!image

Heather - don't know about an elite plodder - compared to me at the moment, it sounds positively gazelle like!!

From the sounds of Rob's pre-race "to do" list, I think I'd better find out what I need to do.....and quickly!! 

• SM I was hoping it was an invitation
  • I have been following this thread for weeks looking for some reassurance ahead of my first organised run and the nerves have finally caught up with me so I thought I would post my 'story'.

I'd never ran further than 200m sprints at school until this June when I decided I was so jealous of all those people on the treadmill in the gym that I'd give running a go.  30 secs of running gradually built up to a whole mile non-stop, at which point my trainer at the gym entered me for the GCR (to be fair when she suggested it to me I laughed and said if she could get me fit in 16 weeks to run a half marathon I'd do it).

My training has been interrupted with the odd niggle and a cold but I don't think I'm as prepared as I could be.  I can run 6 mile 'comfortably' in an hour and have done several times, but the furthest I've done is 8.5 which I only did once.  I would love to get round in under 2:30 but in the back of my head I'm not sure if I will.  I know the aim of your first HM is to just get round but I am a stubborn Geordie girl who doesn't like to be beaten by anything, particularly her body so we shall see.  (Testament to this was me getting out of bed at 5:50 on Wednesday morning to get ready, drive to work and go out for an easy 4 mile run in the cold and dark before I commenced my working day! - I have taken notice of this 'tapering' lark you will be pleased to hear)

My wonderful bloke is running with me on Sunday, even though he would easily manage to do it in under 1:40.  He's warned me he will get mean with me as the miles tick off.  Just in case his 'motivation' doesn't work, would I get away with stashing a pair of rollerskates at about 10 mile to get me round the last of it?

geordieimage

PS Does the first one back buy the round in?

• Hi geordieangel

Don't worry, most of us are probably not as well prepared as we should be. If you've run 8 and a half miles already the adrenalin of a race should get you through the rest. And your bloke nagging you of course!

Good luck on Sunday. 

• Afternoon folks!

2 more sleeps! image

I can also honestly say I'm not exactly well prepared for this race either. My training has been pretty much hit and miss over the last 6 weeks and the furthest I've done is 11 miles. My last run was an 8.5 miler Sunday just gone. It will be interesting to see how close to my wanted 2:05 I get image

As for the weather, rainy is fine by me.

• Geordie - you may not yet have the full distance under your belt but what you do have is the benefit of a gradual build up from scratch over a good period of time! This, allied to a determined spirit (which you would appear to have) and the "encouragement " from your bloke will stand you in great stead on Sunday. And you'll feel an enormous amount of elation when you cross the finish line at the Sheepmount Stadium running track on Sunday.

Talking of ill preparation, mine (I'm desperately ashamed to say) has been abyssmal. I'd even go as far as to have a small wager that nobody has done as little as me to prepare for this one! Confessional time now...my preparation for this race has amounted to 3 runs over the last 3 weeks...the longest of which has been 10 miles in an ultra slow time!!!!!!!!!

Prior to these 3 runs, the previous time I ran was the Leeds 10k in June - "another infamous lay-off!!" Now perhaps you see the reason for my last night decision before finally committing to do it and also why my only goal for Sunday is completion!!!! 

• Lack of preparation seems to be the order of the day.

(Smug face) I have done as much prep as I planned and am fittest I have ever been. Did a 12 miler last week.  Even shed a few pounds of running weight.

On the other hand my hubby has peaked at a 7miler and found his last run of 6 tough going. eek. To be fair to him he didn't even want to do GCR but I entered him anyway.

To put a bit of perspective on this I will (hopefully) plod in around 2:10 and he will whizz in at 1:40...no doubt in the company of all you other ill-prepared folks.

I am here to tell you that as far as running is concerned life is not fair and applaud Madame M for all her training and her fear that she'll be bringing up the rear with her gel belt! One day us tortoises will beat you hares!

Dead excited for Sunday. Good luck everyone and have a good one.

• You lot should seriously think about packing it in!  For goodness sake, what's up with you all?  Those of us with proper injuries (if anyone doesn't know what I've done then I'm more than happy to go over it again for you) are gutted to think we can only stand and watch you on Sunday.  You'll be fine....trust me.

Now then, for those who have expressed a desire to meet up beforehand and engender some camaraderie can I suggest the following meeting place?

At the front of the castle, where you'll need to be 'cos there's no back door, there is a huge lawn.  The lawn is split by a road, on which the race actually starts.  The left hand lawn has some trees on it (4, I think), but knowing that this may cause some of you problems (SM, are you paying attention), I would opt for the right hand lawn.  On this lawn you will find one solitary tree.  If you/we meet by the tree we could all say 'hello!'.  Apparently you athletes need to be inside the castle by 9.20 so I would suggest a meeting at 9.00 would be just fine.  Now being a wimp, I am a little concerned that the weather may be inclement.  However I will do everything to brave the elements to cheer on my running buddies so hopefully see you there.

SM - Are we still on for that beer on Sunday evening? 

• Nexus - Tomorrow the mighty Blues will turn the corner.  I'll be there!

Rob - Did you say you were travelling from Newcastle?  If you are, then regardless of whether you come straight through on the A69 or take the turning at Brampton and come in by Crosby on Eden, you will actually drive past The Sands Centre, so if you need to go there for your chip, just pull into the car park and then worry about getting to the Sheepmount and then the Castle.  You could actually leave your car at The Sands and walk - it's not far.  You can walk along the river from The Sands to The Sheepmount and then back again afterwards, or you could go the whole hog and get changed at The Sands, but you would then need to walk back there afterwards.  Does that help?

• Sounds good to me Millsy. Now are you sure, there is definitely only one tree?

Oh, I'm number 451 and will be wearing a blue and white Sunderland Strollers vest 

• Do you want me to go check again?

• Checked today on my way home, and it's quite a big one so should still be there on Sunday.

Are you bringing Mick with you?

• Millsy wrote (see)

Rob - Did you say you were travelling from Newcastle?  If you are, then regardless of whether you come straight through on the A69 or take the turning at Brampton and come in by Crosby on Eden, you will actually drive past The Sands Centre, so if you need to go there for your chip, just pull into the car park and then worry about getting to the Sheepmount and then the Castle. 

Chips are collected from the Castle on Sunday aren't they? It's just from the Sands Centre if you're picking them up tomorrow. That's what it sounds like from the official info.
  • I'm travelling across with Mick, aye

Graham, I've just re checked the race info, and yes chips need to be picked up from the Castle on Sunday.

• Bit of salt and vinegar on mine please image
  • Well you cannot park infront of the Castle!

Presumably the wise move would be to park the car, get changed and then go to the Castle to collect your chip just before the start - if that's possible.

• Millsy I will see you at the castle , as you know I am the hansum bloke and I am number 1515 and will be in a white top and black shorts and defnitly on for a pint on Sunday night if ur missis will let u out (notice 1+5 = 6 ,,,,times 2 = 6 6 ...and this is my 6th hm = 666)..........ha ha and 666th posting too.
    Also I am looking forward to seeing Morgs again as she is a true example of a strong Anglo Saxon woman and the only one who could reely stick it out on this thread from start to finish despite peeeple like Millsy and Mike .....but luckily no Joe.But lucky she had SM on her side......and always will.
  • SM, I am actually of mediteranean (sp.) descent which kind of blows your 'Anglo Saxon' theory out of the water really
  • E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭

i think im starting with a cold!!!!!!!!

• Not another one image

Sunday night is looking good.  I actually asked Mrs Millsy if she wanted to join us but she reckons all runners are weirdos so I think that was a NO!  Are you coming to the footy tomorrow afternoon or do you need to earn some browny points?

• Morgs u meen u r a Roman or a Greek or even Spartan!
    No footy millsy I will probably be doing some shopping image
    But not on Sunday image
    Bring it on the MOT is upon us.......sub 1:50 coming up for SM.
    Then i will enjoy my victory drink! (mustn`t forget millsy`s fiver)
  • Millsy what kind of tree is it?
    As I don`t want to go to the wrong one.
    You have been an invaluable local guide/information man...
    xt350 if u r getting a cold u can think ur self lucky as it will make the race harder for you
    harder = more challenging = more satisfying image
    I just been doing the maths.....forget what i said about 1:50 image