Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• Morgs-Aye ok.I'll be entering shortly.
  • If you are driving across...can I cadge a lift...petrol money or liquid payment of course!
  • Morgs-Aye should have the jam jar,well its a tank really.....nissan pathfinder.Got it thru work,ideal for our lass and the bairn with their horses.There's a seat with your name written all over it for Carlisle.
  • Thank you!!...will let you know when I've entered image
  • Well that's me sorted then. I've found one other person so far who is willing to come to Carlisle so we're going for it. This is a much better event than the Jed Half. There are a few who are going to stay and do Jed instead.

This will be the third year in a row I've done this one and it'll be my last half of the year after Glasgow and the Great North. Great way to end this year.

• Well done Cap'n - you know it makes sense - glad to have you aboard! Once the GCR gets it's hooks into you there's no getting away from it!! This will be my 4th GCR in a row and a firm favourite of mine!

XL man - a warm welcome back to you! So glad you've returned to the fold - it wouldn't be the same without you! I think we were nearly as disappointed as you about your non-participation last year - fingers well and truly crossed for this year!! I'm assuming that you didn't manage to do the Amsterdam Half either last year? Has the problem righted itself now?

Mick - how are you diddling? Not going for the Half Marathon a month this year then? 

• Boycs...you are right there!...3rd year for me too...I think its all Mike's fault...'teasing' us all with his new route! image

Hello Cap'n...you have made the 'right' decision...definitely! image

• Hi, Boycs

and thanks for those kind words.

You're right, I didn't do Amsterdam either. My whole year was wrecked basically. I went to Amsterdam with my wife and kids. it was a bit strange, seeing everyone run, and knowing I should have been there. Also very strange watching the World Cup final with Dutch commentary - another disappointment of the weekend. Nevertheless, we had a lovely few days in a fabulous city. Unfinished business though, I will be back.

As for my injury. I didn't run at all between Christmas and the end of April. As much lack of motivation as anything. I'm steadily getting back into it now. Enjoyed regular running right through May - and so far no sign of the problem returning. All being well, normal service will be resumed this Autumn, (though PB attempts may well have to wait until '09 )

And now, I'm off out for a steady 3 miler image

• ... and 3 miles duly finished in 23:43 image

That'll do nicely for pace, if I can just add another 10 miles before October  !

• Morning all,

I'm in for this one, it was my first ever half when I did it last year and am looking forward to seeing if it is actually as hard as I found it back then!

Its really encouraging to see that you're all so excited about it too, shows what a good job the organisers do.

Can't wait - Had best crack on and get registered....

• Morgs - whatever it is that Mike's doing, he's doing it very well...keep 'em guessing must be his motto!

Glad to hear that all seems to be back to normal XL man - it seems as if 6 months rest has done the trick - maybe it was your bodys way of telling you to ease up? You were targetting 2 x Half maras in consecutive weekends and looking for a PB from one of them so perhaps you were just going at it a tad hard at the time? A nice slow gradual build up over the coming months should see you nicely back -except sub 8 min miles doesn't sound all that slow to me - good on yer!

A nice slow 3 miles for me tonight too - and I expect my time to be similar to yours - that is to say there is likely to be a similarity in terms of the 2nd digit "3" - only mine will be preceeded by a 3 rather than a 2 as yours was!!

Hello Miss R - glad you're game for another try - it can't have been too bad last time if you're willing to have another stab at it - only this time you'll know what to expect so I'm sure you'll fairly breeze through!!

• I think I was just unlucky, Boycs

the injury started to  manifest itself in early August, and I wasn't doing anything different to what I had in previous years. I've always been sensible about mileage and speedwork, so I'm fairly sure I wasn't overdoing things. I just hope the long lay off means whatever the probem was has well and truly been sorted. This year I'll be happy just to get through the summer and complete a half in the Autumn, probably this one.

I've done nothing all winter, so I'm being sensible about PBs - they can wait for next year.

Enjoy your 3 miles - and what difference do first digits make? I'm sure there are those who could do three miles in times beginning with a "1" who would get no more satisfaction than you or I. Have a good one.

Welcome Miss R.

I must say there is something special about this race, and it's certainly reflected in the banter on this thread. It's the same every year, hard to believe it's four months away yet !

• Hello Miss R...yep...I totally agree with XL...this race has definitely got 'something about it'...you say you found it hard last year...well done you for coming back! image
  • I wonder if someone cold help me. I was looking for some races in and around Cumbria/ Northumberland between now and October, preferably half marathon or 10 mile distance. Coming from just over the Border into Scotland, I don't always hear about some of the smaller races that take place. I find that there are quite a few races that aren't advertised on Runners World.  Scottish Athletics website has a lot more events advertised than Runners World. Is there a web site where I could keep up to date with events in the north of England?
  • Hi, Capt. H.

I think Tynedale AC do a 10 miler and a half marathon in the summer.

• Cap'n...the 10 Miler is the 'Jelly Tea'...its on Sept 14th...its either Hexham to Ovingham...or the other way round...I'm signed up to do it...looking forward to it!
  • Oops,

my mistake, I knew there were two events, but it's a 10k, not a half

The 10-miler looks tempting though.

• Morgs-Were you running along Thomson Road yesterday(15th) about 12.30pmish??

Hello all.

• Thanks for your wise counsel XL man, as ever! You're quite right, it doesn't matter a jot how long it takes you, it's the enjoyment and satisfaction and the benefit derived from the exercise that's important!

My 3 miler last Thurs could have been a lot better...but given that this was the first time I had strung 3 miles of running together since last years GCR, I was reasonably pleased. I had the weekend off and ran 4 miles last night and although it was still rather slow, I really enjoyed this one and it helped me to remember just why it is that I do this!

My cunning plan now is to have 2 days of rest and then do 5 miles on Thurs night - then two more days of rest then do the Jane Tomlinson Leeds 10k this Sunday. I know it's hardly ideal preparation for a race but as usual, I've not left long enough to prepare! It's a bit like cramming for your exams and doing all of your revision in the last few days...except revision doesn't leave you with sore legs for a few days afterwards!

• Thanks for the info on Tynedale. That 10 miler does look tempting. It's on my birthday so that'll do nicely for a birthday present.

If there are any other events that you know off, please post them on here. Thanks

Wonder if Mike James will make an appearance on this site this year.

• Mick...if I was running towards Southwick then aye it was me...I had just had a lovely 10 miler through Boldon/Cleadon and had just about finished...if I was running towards the sea front then it wasnt me...if that makes sense!

Cap'n...its my mums burf day on the 14th as well!

• All the nice, good looking people must have been born on the 14th September!
  • MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Capt - There's an event in Carlisle next Sunday (29th).  Several races including a 10K.  Mike James is in charge so you know it'll be well organised.  Let me know if you want more details.
  • My Dad's birthday was 14th Sept too! Must be lots of connections between Virgo and GCR!! Anyone into astrology?

A nice steady 5 miles last night - enjoyed it again - hopefully Leeds 10k on Sunday will be equally as enjoyable!!

• Boycs...astrology...cant help you there...although I am a Libran and my burfday is the week before the GCR
  • Astrology?

Mick sees stars frequently after a few pints of the black stuff - does that count?

• I wish there was a connection between 14th September and fast runners. If there is then I'm the exception to the rule!

Millsy - thanks for the info on the event for the 29th. I can't make it I'm afraid. I'm off for the weekend with Mrs Haddock and our kippers.

I've found a half marathon on 9th August at Haddington I'm going to go to and I've heard that Hawick is to host a half in September (I think its around the 21st) but I can't find any info on it. Hawick is only 1 hour from Carlisle so this might be of interest to some of you. I'll try to find out more and I'll put the details on here.

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    You could always try Great Langdale Capt.  This is usually run in early September, and believe me when I say, if you can run the Great Langdale then you'll find even the new GCR course an absolute breeze image 
  • Millsy...'If you can run the Great Langdale then you'll find the new GCR course an absolute breeze'...sounds ominous!!

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Fear not.  The Great Langdale is a b*gger by anyones standards.  The new GCR course is not flat but neither is it at all difficult.