Options

Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    When is the Langdale?
  • Options

I found the web site for the Hawick Half, which is on 21st September starting at 12noon. www.bslt.org.uk

Follow the Events link and it's at the bottom of the page. Theres very little information on the website but there is contact details and a registration form. I'll phone the organiser and find out more about the course etc.

• Options

Langdale is sept 14th i will be there next year probably and erm it will almost certainly be the insane fools 2 lap marathon route.

Cant do this one this year as i'm down south doing Abingdon marathon instead image Who said Windermere was hily is a liar image i tohught it was fine bar the 3 main hills at 7, 22ish and the several small hills that merge into one around mile 14-16. Sprinted up the drive over the top and down to sneak a sub 5 run there. Then went and PB'd around Edinburgh the week after clocking 4:37.

Targetting Berlin this autumn with Abingdon as the back up. Aiming for sub 4:30 but ideally closer to 4:15.

• Options
    Hi Keith...so you will be back to Windy next year then! image...well done btw
  • Options

Already entered i think, erm no wait that was something else. Will be entering later on tonight i think. Feel i can go quiet quick around Windermere as there is as much up as down and they soon follow each other, was bimbling round nice and easily (walked the major hills) until a little after the second hill set around 16 mies in when the egs began to ache. Down to the marathon i did the day before mainly.

Was similar at Edinburgh were i did the first 14 miles or so at around 9:40 pace with plodding hippo (some of it into a pretty evil headwind along the coast) then decided i'd benefit from a walk break to recuperate a bit. Still found it fairly easy going unti about mile 20-21 where the legs were getting tired and my knee was hurting. Was also a little warm by now. If i'd been upto the Fetch support point 5 mins sooner i'd of gotten someone to cajole/kick my arse all the way to the finish and i'd of gotten my sub 4:30 fairly easily. Wasn't overly bothered by pushing too hard over the last few miles as i knew was well inside my old PB. Knocked off almost 8 mns in the end.

Shame i'm gonna miss out on this new route should solve the problems of the leaders lapping us meremortals at the back. I'd barely reached the start line last year when they went past.

• Options

My word Keith - you have been a busy little bee, haven't you? Well done on your ever decreasing times and all the best for your efforts in trying to continue this trend!

I'm afraid that I have exactly the opposite scenario to contemplate at the moment in that mine are ever increasing times! Certainly this was the case after I took part in my first proper event for 8 months on Sunday at the Jane Tomlinson run for all Leeds 10k. A nice event, fairly well organised in my opinion, and one that I enjoyed despite recording a PW for the event.

After such a long lay off from races, it was just nice to be back amongst the fray, bobbling about again. Hopefully, I can use this as a platform to get back into shape (something a little less rotund would be nice) in readiness for GCR!

It's nice to be back on this thread!

• Options
    This is my favourite half marathon and I'll be making the 250 mile round trip for the third time having done the race in 2005 and 2007.

I'm not bothered by a few undulations but it would be nice to know if there are any monster hills on the new course. I'm not at all familiar with any of the course east of the M6.
  • Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    No monsters that I can think of Nexus but I will have look nearer the time.
  • Options
    I really don't mind a course that has a testing hill in it. I remember running a half years ago in Norfolk and it was as flat as apnacake. There were long stretches of dull flat road. I like a mixture of country and streets.
  • Options

Morning all

Entry form went off yesterdayimage.

Morgs-Aye you were running towards southwick.Did you not want to do the womens 10k on the seafront?

Hope you're all fit and well and enjoying the summer.image

• Options
    Mick...I was at the end of my run then...to be honest I begrudge paying 'Great to Run' (or Great to Rip Off rather!) entry fee prices...and I also left it too late to enter as well.
  • Options

Hi All

I live in Carlisle, but haven't managed to run GCR since 2003 through injuries. I have ben a marshall each year since then though and really enjoy getting involved in that way.

I plan to run it this year... fingers crossed.

I will bike round the route in the next week or so and report back on the undulations - horizontal ones or otherwise Boycs! image

Alan

• Options

I ran the Stephen Unwin 10k (as mentioned previously was also organised by Mike James, with help from my club Border Harriers) and it was very well organised, as you would expect.

Over 300 finishers and everyone received a t-shirt, medal, sports drink, fruit and a burger! All for a tenner. Can't say fairer than that!

• Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Did you finish anywhere near me Alan.  46.00 mins was my time.
  • Options

A bit behind you Millsy, 47.07. That's about 5 1/2 minutes outside my pb!!

Note to self: start proper training programme image

• Options
    Hi All

First timer for this race but since I can't find a bad word about it...I'm entered.

This will be my second half marathon but my first was a nightmare (due to the course / weather / mental preparation etc etc.....)

Any advice for a newbie?

• Options

Hi, Karen

I'm hoping to make my 4th visit to this race in October.

I was absolutely gutted to miss out last year due to injury

There's a new route this year, so I can't give you any specific advice - just go out and enjoy a superbly organised event, with a great atmosphere.

• Options

I'm  thinking of entering this one as I had to miss out on a half this weekend due to lack of training. 

Anyone know how hilly it is (I don't mind hills as long as they are not long and slow): and I don't know Carlisle that much as I live in the midlands (only driven through it a couple of times). Does it have PB potential? Does it stick mainly to the City centre?

• Options

Hi everyone. I've just entered myself and my OH for this one on the strength of all the reccomendations here. So bearing this in mind I will be holding you ALL personally responsible if we don't get pb's and the sun doesn't shine!

This will be 3rd Half Mara (GNR last yr and Liverpool in Feb) so I suppose we can say that the running bug has bitten. Living in the middle of the Pennines I don't mind hills so much but would always prefer to avoid them if poss. Will be keeping eye out for an update on exactly what "undulating" means.

Questions...Are runners chipped and are there photos?
  • Options
    photos and chip time as i remember.its a quick course with only moderate inclines ,very congested start but i think that they are working on that.You can pick up your chip the night before if your staying locally and i would recommend that as busy on the day. if your looking for hills try ashbourne half marathon .thats a tester
  • Options

Hi guys, this is going to be my first ever race and am really looking forward to it. If anyone is interested, I have mapped out the route on walkjogrun which should give anyone a slightly clearer look than the map on the website and the entry form provides.

To see the run, follow the linkand use the postcode CA1 as your starting point then the route is "Great Cumbrian run" posted by user: belafron.

Hope this helps if anyone is in the area and fancies testing the route beforehand. The site is pretty useful to give yourself a time estimation based on either your min/mile pace or your speed in mph.

Cheers.

• Options

Hi

Can anybody recommend a nice hotel nearby for the night before?

Lesley

• Options
    ibis in city centre isgreat location and cheap if you book early.there is a chinese buffet restaurant next door also and close to start.
  • Options

Morning all

Entry confirmed.Got a canny e-mail off Mike James.Nice to see that personal touch.

Running the Northumberland coastal run this Sunday.Looking forward to it.

• Options

Afternoon folks!

I've finally got round to doing my entry for this one so I'm all sorted.

Hope all is well with everybody.

Mick...have a good un tomorrow.

• Options

Cheers Morgs

You still want a lift ower to Carlisle?

• Options

have never got to run this event- though i'm told it's top notch

we'll be in Lake district on holiday on August 3

we usually get to run the Ellenborugh 10k at maryport

The Cockermouth - Derwent 5 k

the Haddingtron Hm - nr Edinborough

now - if any of you wish to join us for some training - we'll be camped just south of keswick - i can give you our mobile no and meet up

• Options
    Mick...Aye...lift over would be great...thank you!
  • Options

Morgs-Nee bother

M'n'P-Hello mate.Glad to see you again.Im surprised you two haven't done Carlisle yet.Its a cracking half marathon.Great set up.You'll love it.I'll see you at Nottingham marathon this year.