Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• Mick...I will sort the details with you a bit nearer the time image
  • My number arrived today for this one image...I'm no 451
  • Morgs-Aye,mine too.Number 308.Well it arrived on Thursday.image Are you doing the 'Robin Hood 10k',in Jarrow on the 18th August? You get a pie and pees supper after the run.image
  • Mick...I wasnt even aware of that one...I will have to have a little look in my diary...I did the Sunderland 5k at Silksworth on Wednesday...29.36 which was a pb for me but I was right at the back of the field...very fast race indeedy!...and absolutely boiling...thought I was going to throw up at one point image...and I dont think the race organisers can read...I am down as 'Margaret' on the results...it doesnt even have the right amount of letters!
  • Morgs-Aye a few of the runners from Jarrow did Silksworth.Their times seem to be different from the results and one of the lasses is down to be running it twice.Congrats on the pb.I know it a fast run.

You can enter on-line for the jarrow 10k:http://www.jhac.org.uk

• My watch time said 29.32 which is near enough spot on but my mates time was about a minute out she reckons....dont think I'm going to be able to do that one on the 18th...Monday isnt a very good day for me...I'm now working up at Longbenton and have to be up at the crack of dawn!...shame its not being done on a Friday.
  • Thats ok.I'll see you for the Nissan 10k.
  • You surely will!...fingers crossed there will be a pb on the cards there too...its a cracking course for one!
  • Race number has arrived ...384.

Is it just me that is too much of a lightweight to run in the heat? Tried an early morning one once but 6.30 doesn't agree with me either!

Also kids on holiday so not much time.

• Hi All.

As promised I biked around the route the other day and it's not bad at all. There are a few hills on the way out, but after about 4 miles it is pretty flat until you come out of the park on the way to the finish (about 12 miles).

I only down-shifted my bike on a couple of the hills, so although they were slightly testing, none of them are long drags. Nothing to be worried about at all

Hope you find this useful and not off-putting image

Alan

• Tell you what after running 5 miles in Yorkshire the other week I'm not scared of hills anymore!! Slightly testing sounds good to me.

Thanks for that Alan.

• Afternoon folks

Hope all is well with everyone and your training is going well.

Bit 'hit and miss' for me this week but got out for a nice slow 8 miler this morning.

Alan...new route sounds fine and dandy...I see they havent 'lost' the hill at mile 12 then lol!

• Forget to mention one more significant hill just as you come back into Carlisle (after crossing the M6), it's probably the toughest of them but nothing too long. It must be at about the 9/10 mile mark.

There's a nice 'free wheel' down the other side!

Irony of all this for me is that my back is not good, so could be marshalling instead of running, yet again!

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    I haven't done the route yet Al, although I have quite often run parts of it in the past.  I imagine it could be a pull up London Road, lengthy but not too steep.  Where is the hill after the M6?  Does the course go through Botcherby or have I got my bearings wrong?
  • Hi Millsy. The hills on London Road are okay, as they're not too steep or long. When I was on the bike I went up them all in the 'big ring' and I'm not very fit at the mo'. 

Yes the route goes from Scotby, over the M6 (on Park Road), past the end of Montgomery Way and up and over into Botcherby on Durranhill Road. That's the worst 'brae' on the route, but it isn't too long and at least has the compensation of going straight back down again!

I like hills, as I find flatter routes a bit boring and harder to keep on pace as the mind wanders from the task in hand. I wouldn't describe this as a hilly course by any means though. Definitely undulating in a good way! image

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Hi all

I've just signed up today- going to be my first half marathon so am a little nervous about doing it!

• Hmm...all this 'further' talk of hills...I personally prefer pancake flat routes...but thats just me!

Hi Luke...you have picked an absolutely fab race for your first half...dont be nervous...good luck with your training and let us all know how you are getting on.

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Thanks Al. I now have my bearings.

Luke - Don't be nervous....................................................save all that for the week before the race when your stomach will be churning and you won't get any sleep! 

Only joking image

There's nothing to beat the feeling of completing your first half.  It's a long way, but as long as you realise that and prepare accordingly then you'll have a fantastic time and the feeling once you've finished will be unforgetable regardless of whether you get round in 1 hr or 4 hrs.  Morgs will be there to hold your hand (as long as you don't go too fast image)

Sorry Morgs!! image

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Haha thanks for the supportive words.  I wanted to do the Great North Run as it starts about 100 metres from my front door- but unfortunatly I couldn't get a place so I thought this would be an excellent alternative. I'm up to 7.5 miles in my long runs so I'm confident of being up to speed by race day. Ps I agree with Morgs flat is best!
  • Millsy!!!!....stoppitt!!!...its a good job I'm not easily offended image

Luke...I've done GNR a couple of times and to be honest this one knocks spots off it...if you are up to 7.5 miles you are well on the way...in fact you are near enough on the 'home straight' as it were!!

• Boing!!

Afternoon folks!

Fab run this morning. Perfect weather for it. 3 miles attempted at 'race pace'. Didnt quite hit it but never mind. Still speedier than my easy runs so I'm happy enough. 9 miles slow for me tomorrow.

Received a mail from Mike James about a GCR running club. Looks good. Shame I'm not located nearer Carlisle.

• Hello!!...anybody out there? <listens for echo>

Lovely 9 miler this morning. Thought it was going to be a tad on the warm side all the way round but it cooled down a treat for the last couple of miles. Nice route but why is it that 'hills' right at the end, no matter how many times you run them, never get any easier lol!

• Hello,
    Had a good 6miler yesterday. training in earnest now and gradually building my miles back up. Doing good times at the mo so going to put a bit of speedwork in before the race.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Morgs- know what you mean about the hills- did an 8 miler on Sunday and the tiny gradient in the last mile felt like a mountain!
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    I ran a 10k tempo run last night in 49:30- although to be honest it was more flat out than tempoimage. Anyway what kind of time do you think this should equate to for the half marathon. I'm just looking for a ball park figure so I have somethong to aim for. Thanks
  • MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    The ladies will be worried if your looking for 'somethong' to aim for.  What will you do if you catch one, I wonder? image
  • MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Try this link Luke.  Hope it works.  (You may have to copy and paste).

Looks as though you should be up for a sub 1.50, or even better.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1681

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Forgot to ask whether your run was alone or as part of a group.  In my experience you always run faster in an actual race than you do when training, especially if you train alone.
  • Hello all,

Apologies for having been AWOL from the thread for so long. I've been colossally busy at work for some weeks now, which has not only limited my ability to contibute to this forum, but it has also inhibited my opportunities to do any training!

I'm on holiday for a week at the moment - we're staying in a lovely little cottage in the delightful village of Middleton in Teesdale, Co Durham, where it has rained almost constantly for the past 6 days! Still...it's not spoiled things unduly as it has just been nice being away from work for a while and spending some time with my family.

We're hoping to get up to Alnwick Castle / Gardens for our last day - Fri 15 - (which is also my birthday) so let's hope the weather is a little kinder. Then after we get home, the master plan kicks into action! I've worked out I will have 2 months left to prepare for GCR which will mean me having to get out for some consistent training and shift some of the excesses that I've gained during my week away....as well as some of the excesses that I was carrying around before I went away!!!!

I'm with you Morgs about flat, flat, flat but hey, undulating will be a challenge - but not too severe I hope!!