Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• Morning all

Same for me...apologies for not been back on.

Boycs-Glad to see you're ok.Middleton is a cracking place to stay.You'll be visiting 'High Force'?? Alnwick Castle and the Gardens is great.The water feature in the garden is wonderful and the tree house is probably the best tree house in the world!!!

Ive been out injured for the past 2/3 weeks with a knackered calf.Its been giving me loads of jip.Managed to go out yesterday for a 3 mile run,which felt great.There's been no aftr effects today so it seems to be canny.

See you soon

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday to you !

Happy Birthday to you !

Happy birthday dear Booooooooyyyyyyyycs ! (Must be the big 30 this year image)

Happy Birthday to you !! imageimage

Have a great day finishing your swim around Northumbria - don't bother popping over to Carlisle on your way home.  it's just as bad here.

Need to get down to some serious training chaps.  A little birdy told me that one of you was running the Nottingham marathon (Don't worry Boycs I don't think it's you image)  I was actually contemplating doing it myself, but now having done the training the logistics are getting a bit complicated.  Looks as though I may now be heading for a gentle stroll that day.  Otherwise known as the Great Langdale Marathon.  And if anyone thinks the new route for the Great Cumbrian Run is undulating well you don't know you're born, but hey ho, most people think we're barmy anyway so why not.  I reckon if you ran Langdale with me Boycs you would fly round the GCR. 

Go on......................................you know you want to image

• Happy Burfday Boycs! Nice to see you back. Hope the weather was kind to you on your last day.

Hello Mick. Fingers crossed you are on the mend. I thought you had been quiet. I've had a niggly calf myself for absolutely ages (not painful, just a bit tight feeling) but it seems to have sorted itself out. 

• Morning all

Millsy-You know its me doing the Notts marathon...neee way im I doing Langdale...you're mad doing langdale.

Morgs-Aye in canny now.Calf is canny,i'll be ok for carlisle.

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Aye, but I'd bet you would do Langdale if you were hard like them Geordies!! image
  • Afternoon folks

Hope a good weekend is being had by all.

Lovely slow 9 miler for me this morning. Cracking route. Really enjoyed it. Bit blowy on the sea front but never mind. Also did 3.5 miles yesterday at not far off my intended race pace for this one so all in all not a bad couple of days for me image

• Boo hiss to you all! I've had a rubbish week and clocked up a massive total of 2 miles running. Can't even blame it on injury. Combination of 4 kids off school and dreadful weather. " weeks left of school holidays then I'm free as a bird 5 mornings a week. I'll catch you all then!
    Note to self: Don't read this thread until then as it depresses me and makes me feel very guilty.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Breezed through a nice relaxing 10 miler at the weekend. Then last night I struggled round a 3 miler with considerable difficulty in a really slow time and felt like death afterwards. To top it off my knee is feeling quite sore today so will have to give it a couple of days rest.

Isn't it funny how a long run can seem easy 1 day and then an easy short run can feel like agony another. Doesn anyone else find this happens to them?

• Afternoon all,

Thank you kind people for your birthday wishes!

Millsy - yours was the only rendition of the oft recited song which is traditionally sung on birthdays that I've had this year so thank you for that! (Party hats and all). And I wasn't at all worried about being confused for the Nottingham marathon entrant because at the moment, I'm the least likely person to be be tackling a marathon! A 5k would be a serious challenge for me at the moment!!

I reckon if I ran Langdale with you Millsy - I'd probably have taken collossal amounts of performance enhancing drugs and would have to have a portable oxygen tent!! The fact that I only ever see you at the start and the finish of the GCR speaks for itself - and I only ever see you at the finish because you've been kind enough to put your life on hold for a good half hour whilst you've waited for me to finish!!

We had a good holiday thanks and the weather on Friday was cracking - by far the best of the week - which made for a splendid birthday at a wonderful venue. Mick - you must have been a fly on the wall. Yes, High Force was good and flowing well after all the rain and Alnwick Castle certainly did not disappoint. Alnwick Gardens were splendid and Boycs Jr had the best time running wild across the rope bridges in the tree house (closely followed by Dad!) before getting soaked to the skin in the water features (not closely followed by Dad!!)

As we toured many parts of Co Durham and Northumberland last week, I couldn't help but think of many of the regular correspondents from the GCR thread who hail from that corner of England and to think how lucky you are to be surrounded by as much abundant and majestic scenery! It really is a lovely pocket of the country that I've only just begun to explore and based on what I've seen, I think I'll be coming back for more! On Sat, we travelled back on A66 to Keswick before enjoying that lovely drive south through our beloved Lakes and enjoying what was left of the good weather before encountering  rain of monsoon proportions (as was felt by those poor folks in N.Ireland ) on the M6 on the way home.

Ho hum - hols over - back to reality again and the prospect of my first run for 2 months - probably on Wed night after Mrs Boycs has finished her stint of nights. As ever, after a bit of a break from running, I'm approaching it was a mixture of apprehension and optimsm. I know all too well that the first few runs back are always hard going but the rewards you feel afterwards are what makes it all worthwhile. So perhaps in a week or so's time, I'll hopefully have a completely different mindset!

Mick / Morgs - sorry to hear you've had niggly injuries for a while but glad you both appear to have mended well.

Ra Ra - I'm with you on the guilt factor but it'll be alright on the night!!

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Has anyone entered online and receieved their race pack yet? I ordered a while ago on q- buster but nothing has turned up yet- I'm getting a bit concerned!
  • OjomanOjoman ✭✭✭
    Luke Smith 10 wrote (see)
    Has anyone entered online and receieved their race pack yet? I ordered a while ago on q- buster but nothing has turned up yet- I'm getting a bit concerned!

I have just ordered from Q-Buster.  As there is two months to go I would not get too anxious.  The longer I have the numbers in the house the more chance they have of going missing. image

• Afternoon

I hope all is well with everybody and your training is going well. Can you believe its only 8 weeks to go for this one!! 

Not a bad week for me training wise. Couple of 3 milers, an interval 'session' with my club on Wednesday and a lovely 6 mile (cut back week) slow plod this morning. Have had a few days off work to give me a long weekend with it being the bank holibob so I've been able to get out in the mornings which if I'm honest I do prefer.

I'm also stuck in bathroom decorating 'hell' but that is another tale completely!

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Hmmm!

I must be following a different plan to you Morgs.  I've just done 21.5 miles, and what a long way it is.  Hardly the first time I've done that distance but the old body doth protest at such exertions image

Looks like I'll be doing my marathon next month then I'll probably be fit for nowt until 19 October!

• I should hope you are following a different plan to me Millsy. I was supposed to be doing Loch Ness on 5th October but decided in the end it would be wise to pull out so no mega long runs for me for a while! 21.5 miles is a god damn long way. Well done!

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Aye, but you must have been there before today.  I think it's fair to say that for most of us we would only contemplate such foolishness as a means to an end.  If I wasn't training for a marathon I wouldn't choose that distance for a weekend's relaxation!

• I only ever got to 20 when training for Windy so 21.5 has been a 'one time only' for me up to now - until the next time that is! Hope you are suitably recovered today.

4 mile 'easy' run for me this morning. Couldnt seem to find a consistent pace although overall it was near enough, so never mind.

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Feel fine though, although I was a bit stiff (behave!!) this morning.

Funny business marathon training.  Difficult to get the balance between putting in all those miles and overdoing it.  The schedule that I've been following said 20 miles yesterday, and that was the longest training run, but as I've missed one or two of the shorter ones in the last few weeks I thought that going up beyond 20 yesterday would give some reassurance.  Less than three weeks to go now though so cannot afford to exceed the mileage anymore.

Mad thing is you know you can do the distance as you have done it before. So is that your longest one done and dusted or have you got another one next week?

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    That's definitely the last long one.  Down to a mere 12 miles next weekend.  I know what you mean about having been there before, but most of us novices will still get a bit nervous.  More so for me this time, as I'm planning to do Great Langdale.  It claims to be the most scenic marathon in Britain, and I have to say that if the weather's good then the views may even be better than Windermere, but those hills are gonna take some conquering.  Mad dogs and marathoners as they say!
  • All hail to anyone training for a marathon! Don't have 1 of them in me just yet. Watched my OH train for his 1st this year (Edinburgh) and it doesn't half take grit. Also I walked the Moonwalk Marathon and it was the toughest thing I have ever done. Sympathies to anyone having to run 20 miles as a training run.

Nice to hear some sensible numbers being bandied about in terms of mileage too. Running well at the mo and training is on track again. Fit in 3 runs this week: 4, 3 and 7. Decent times, steady away.

Happy days. image

• Well done Ra Ra, keep it going image
  • Morning all

Glad to see everyones' training going well.

Ive had to knock the Nottinham marathon on the head.My calf is still giving me jip,4 weeks after I first got injured.

Trying to get myself fit for the Nissan 10k on Sept 7th and then the GNR.Its crap just sitting about and not running.

• Morning

Suffering form a bad back at the minute after a water slide incident in the Algarve (on my birthday - 21 again)!! Don't ask! Supposed to be running the Gallovidian 10k in Dumfries next week as part of a team. It's a great flat course, but I'm really not fit!

Don't want to let the team down so I hope there aren't any random drug tests! image Neurofen Migraine are the dogs...!!

Al

• My Dad did Nottingham Marathon last year and said it was soul destroying when all the halfers peeled off and he had to keep on running past the finish. Hope there's some consolation there. Hope the calf is improved soon.

Bad back...water slide incident...gotta have been worth it!!!

Done a quick 2 and a 10k this week and it's only Thursday. Good week. Also entered Heaton Park 10k for later in the month. Long run on training plan is still only 7 miles again this week...slow and steady or what?!

• 8 weeks you say Morgs - crikes! Hastily revised training plan kicks into action!!

Millsy - I have only one question for you - why?? Not so much as to why do a marathon because as you well know, I've also gone the course - but why on earth over such up and down terrain? I canna fathom it myself!! The one consolation that I can remotely think of is the splendour of the scenery that you will be surrounded by but that aside, I'm still left perplexed as to why??

Morgs - I'm with you in that 20 miles was the furthest I did in preparation for my assault on the FLM - anything more than that was left to be found on the day and supplemented by adrenalin and atmosphere - and at least it was pancake flat!!

Mick - it seems that just like XL man from last year, you're in need of the healing vibes this year!

Talking of which - long time no hear from XL - where are you?

Good work Ra Ra - I just need to catch up with you now!!

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Beats me mate!  And of course, I haven't actually done it yet image, although I fully intend to.
  • Hello all

Boycs-Aye Xl man is doing canny.He's over on the GNR thread every now and then.His running is coming along canny.

Millsy-Ya crackers.image

Rara-Aye the thought had crossed my mind about the split in the race.I remember doing the Liecester half a few years ago which also had the marathon runners alongside.The race split into two after 8/9 miles and you could hear the marathon runners grumbleing,toying with the idea of just doing the half.

Morgs-I'll see you at the Nissan 10k and we can sort out details for traveling to Carlisle?

Calf is feeling a whole lot better.Im going to leave going for a jog until sunday then take it from there.

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Mick - That will still leave you enough time to apply for Langdale.  Closing date is Monday, so get your form downloaded today, filled in tomorrow, then posted on Sunday after your run.  What's the problem?
  • Hello All,

still not decided about this one, I'd love to do it, but my achilles has been niggling on and off since June and I have the Berlin marathon on September 28th, I'll decide when (or if) I finish Berlin.

Mick, 'I'll be at Nissan, but I'll probably be taking it steady as I have the Derwentwater trail race the day before (what a way to spend your birthday!)

• Mick...Aye, will definitely see you at Nissan. Have you any idea when the numbers are being sent out or is it a 'collect on the day' jobby? I've just realised, its next week!