Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• I'm in between sprint triathlon training, so have been running shorter distances, but was up to 12 miles in 1 hour 55mins over undulating terrain around a month ago. Feel a bit fitter now, but not sure if and when I can get some endurance strength into my legs.
  • Big respect for cumberlandrunner - 4:26 on a hilly route like that - fantastic!!

Millsy - did you do it in the end or did sanity prevail?

Just to resurrect the debate about stadium finishes - being an old hand at the GCR now (3 times) - despite some tinkering around with where the start has been situated - the site of the finish has been fairly consistent.

In 2005 and 2006, we re-joined the race track at the end nearest to the clubhouse / buildings and enjoyed the luxury of running probably two-thirds of a lap clockwise (approx 250m) to the finish - which was a wonderful way to celebrate the end of a lot of hard effort.

In 2007 however, we joined the track at the same point but only ran for what seemed like approx 100m before finishing on the top bend. Although it was still nice to finish on the track - I must confess that because I'd done the race with the slightly longer finish on the track in the previous two years - it was a slight anti-climax and I felt a bit cheated because I didn't enjoy the finish as much as usual.

So I'd be inclined to agree with the Cap'n and say go for a nice 250 yard finish on the track so we can make believe that we're finishing the Marathon in Beijing!!

• Sanity? Who is this imposter of which you speak?image

Of course I ran it, and I've got the t-shirt to prove it.  Finished in 4.08 and it was probably my best ever given the terrain.

• Wow, there's some great long distance running.

As I've never done half mara distances before would it be advisable, if I plan to get th best time possible, for my LSRs to go really slow and do as much diatance as I can, or stretch myself over the longest distance I'm able at my target race speed. I reckon if I slowed myself I could probably just about do the diatnce now, but probably only do around 8 miles at race pace.
  • I did the first 4 GCRs ... must have been 1982, 83, 84 and 85. They went from Brampton to Carlisle in those days (same as the 10m race but extra loop around the airport). Also did the Brampton to Carlisle 10m in 1985 ... running into a gale ... Steve Cram won.

• Ah - but I bet you gave Crammy a good run for his money eh Dr Dan!

Rob - now I'm no expert (as many of the correspondents on this thread will tell you!) but.......my vote would be for the former option rather than the latter! If you've never done a half mara before, it makes far more sense to me to get the miles under your belt at a slower pace so that you can go into the race with the psychological advantage of knowing you can at least do the distance! Then if you're feeling good on the day, you might want to push yourself a bit harder knowing you've got enough in the tank to get round.

The alternative of running quicker over a shorter distance would for me, leave too many unanswered questions! The other thing you need to guard against if your not familiar with the distance is not to set off at too fast a pace and run out of steam halfway round because the return leg can be awfully long! The bottom line is that it is each to their own. I'm an advocate of slower and further because I have no choice being a plodder. One of the whippets amongst us may well tell you differently. I'd go for what suits you the best and whichever option you feel most comfortable in pursuing!!

Millsy - well done mate - top effort!! It was never really in any doubt though was it? And please accept my most profuse apologies for getting your name and the word "sanity" in the same sentence. Promise it won't happen again!!

• Dr Dan, My first ever half was the GCR in '84, when I was 16! I can' t remember but I think that there may have been around 7-8000 runners. Still have fond memories and it's why this race will always be special to me.

And my time at the GCR has only improved by 1 minute in the last 24 years. How's that for progress.

• Ah, the good old days of the Cumbrian Run (as I think it was called) starting at Brampton.  Excellent course, very good turn numbers and obviously a tremendous atmosphere.  I think it's fair to say that the run lost a lot of its appeal, as did running in general in the 90s.  There have been several course changes, some better than others, but I think the recent events starting and finishing at The Shepmount have been fantastic.  This year promises to be even better, and Mike James deserves enormous credit for the recent successes. 
  • Evening all

Millsy-Well done on your marathon mate.Great running.

Did the Nottingham half last weekend.Got round in 1hr 52mns.Happy with that after very little training over the last 6/7 weeks due to injury.

This years GCR will be my 5th on the bounce.Love this race.Worth travelling over from the otherside of the country to do.

• Hi

I'm on the slow and far training at mo!  Know i can do the distance but would love to get under 2 hours. This will be my second half....my first was the Oulton Park in March and if ya read the froum you'll understand when i say I found it hard!! I don't think I was mentally ready for running it on my own!!

Training is going better this time and I feel def more confident.  It helps loads reading all your comments!  Thanks

• Mick - Glad you got round Nottingham as I thought you had said you were pulling out.  I understand that that one competitor died.  Massive tragedy for all concerned when that happens.  I honestly believe that the vast majority of runners improve their health by running but clearly others pay the ultimate price.

Looking forward to this one now.  I haven't been out since the weekend, which is understandable, but I think a leisurely 8 miler is on the cards later this morning so that should get me back on track.

Rob - I agree with my old mate Boycs.  If you've never done the distance before then your aim will be to get a few more miles under your belt in the next couple of weeks.  You must remember to taper in the two weeks prior to the race but between now and then I think you need distance rather than speed.  It's a bit late to be looking at training schedules, but it might be worth having a sneaky look just to see how your training over the past few weeks compares to a formal schedule.  I'm guessing that you've still got three weekends left, including this one, during which you could do a long run.  Depending upon your previous efforts this might be something like 10 miles, then 12, then 11.  But whatever you do don't try and sneak in a 15 miler the week before!  The advice for novice marathon runners is not to do the full distance in training so presumably this would be the same for the half.  If you can manage 10 or 11 in training you should have no difficulty with the extra distance on race day.  No-one gives up near the finish which is where the crowds will be image.  And the object of the exercise is to run 13.1 miles, not break the world record for 10 miles and then fall over!  The feeling of satisfaction that you'll get when you finish your first half will be absolutely fantastic.      

• Cheers for the advice, looks like I'm going to have to take in easy anyway. Have a persistant niggle in my glutes which has just gotten significantly worse. The main focus of my training has been Kendal triathlon next week, now plus this this - I desperately don't want to miss either so going to give it however long it needs to heal (as long as that's before next weekend!). I've just got a new toy, the Forerunner 305 and am itching to take out on a long slow run (it can even tell me to slow down!) but caution is the better part of... something else...
  • Boycs wrote (see)

Ah - but I bet you gave Crammy a good run for his money eh Dr Dan!

Oh, I was only yards behind him at one point ....

... the start.image

• Millsy-Aye a young lad died at Nottingham on Sunday.He'd just finished doing the half and then collapsed.Ive read that he was only 28,a member of a running club and quite fit.Very sad and thoughts go to his family.
  • Well done Mick. Canny time.

Really sad news about that lad tho.

Rob - I would also be inclined to agree with the long slow 'distance' approach. As has already been said, knowing you can do the distance (or near enough) is a massive advantage psychologically.

Well, I would like to say that my training is going fine and dandy but in truth, its gone a tad pear shaped. Basically, I have lost just under three weeks to a knacked knee!

All being well, doing the distance shouldnt be a problem, but I may have to forego any attempt. at a p.b. We shall see.

• Afternoon!

Hope you all are having a good weekend.

Considering I've lost 3 weeks training due to my knacked knee and I've also got a stinking cold and a sore throat, my run this morning went very well indeed. Headed for the sea front. Did 5 miles at a steady pace and I really enjoyed it. Perhaps the enforced rest has actually done me some good.

• I'm doing this for the first time and driving from Newcastle. I used the car park by the Sands Centre last year for the Brampton - Carlisle 10 miler but am guessing the half-marathon will attract more people.

I'd imagine the car park is likely to fill up so any ideas what's the latest time I should reasonably arrive to be sure of a place? And are there other parking options nearby?

Looking forward to this one.

Thanks. 

• Graham - The Sands car park is likely to be busy, but this is usually listed as the 'second choice' car park.  Most will probably head for Devonshire Walk which is on the West side of the castle.  This is nearer to the start but only just.  The Sands is nearer to this year's start than last year's start, if that makes sense.  Difficult to say how busy the Sands will be and how quickly it will fill up.  My advice would be to try the Sands first.  If it's full, then turn right at the roundabout and head west.  Once you go past the Castle which is on your right and under the new bridge there is a turn off left (before the traffic lights).  This will take you down to the Lower Viaduct car park, which leads on to the Upper Viaduct car park or Town Dyke Orchard car park.  If these are all full, then we are probably looking at entry numbers akin to the London Mararthon or the Great North Run!  All of these car parks are a few minutes walk from the start area.
  • Great - thanks very much Millsy. Doesn't sound like there'll be a problem at all then.
  • Hi Graham, if the last two years are anything to go by, then this years race should be a good un. image

Nice ploddy 6 miler for me this morning. I did consider going a couple of miles longer, to try and make up for the last couple of weeks but decided I would probably be asking for trouble so I thought best not really. Anyway, I had a good run considering my stinking cold. Not a bad day either.

Cant believe its only four weeks to go!

• Cheers Morgs - would have been out myself today but have a twingy right knee. Probably my fault for doing a hard run on Thursday only a few days after the Jelly Run 10-miler last Sunday. I'm running with my step-daughter who's also out of action, with a bad ankle. Fingers crossed - still plenty of time.
  • Woohoo! Number arrived this morning, 988, so seems to be filling up nicely. I managed to get out running at the weekend as my glutes felt a bit better, didn't do any serious distance but feeling confident injury won't prevent me from training.
  • Hi All! 

I signed up to this one a few months back...really looking forward to it.  Will be my first Half Marathon and I can't wait!!  image  Will go back over some of the pages of this thread and pick up some hints and tips from you experienced lot i think...

• "You experienced lot" - I like that - thanks Mynx! image

I've never really thought of myself as being experienced before - in any respect - not just in running terms!! But I guess whilst my head still tells me I'm youthful and energetic, sadly the old body says otherwise and every now and again it gives me a stark reality check!! (If I'm honest, I think I prefer to listen to what my head tells me!!)

Having had another of my infamous "lay-offs" from running, with four weeks to go before the race I thought best get out and do a bit!! Went out t'other night and did a nice slow 4.5 miles and once I'd got into my ploddy stride, found I really enjoyed it. Pleased with how it went and very much like Morgs, I considered going a bit further before realising that discretion was the better part.....Chuffed with recovery too - a bit stiff and sore but nothing too excessive and nowhere near as much as I had anticipated!

Again, giving myself the positive spin (listening to head rather than creaking joints), I'm busy telling myself that I've done 1/3 of the distance of the half mara on my first time out for a wee while! Got to be good - hasn't it?

• 'Experienced' isnt really a word I'd readily use to describe myself either Mynx...but it will do! image

Boycs...I like your style, very positive indeed. Well done!

I on the other hand am having a complete mare. My stinking cold that came out with a vengeance last weekend has appeared to move itself downward rather than out which isnt good. My training has gone completely pear shaped. I havent ran since Sunday, and my longest run to date in prep for this one has been 10 miles, and that was 4 weeks ago! I think I'm doomed!!! image

• Blimey. The GCR curse has really struck this year. Lots of positive thinking will get us all across the line, I'm sure.
  • If anyone is interested I've traced the map of the route on MapMyRun and therefore you can see the topography of the course and where the hills are. By the look of it there's the same hill coming out of the park at the 12 mile marker as last year.

Here's the link: http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/carlisle/910414929511

Apologies that my tracing is not perfect and I've lost .16 of a mile somewhere. 

Really pleased the start has changed as it was a bit narrow and cramped last year. The finish at the track is brilliant.

• Meant to say when you open the map - click on the 'Show Elevation' box in the top right corner of the map to see the hills
  • That's fantastic!