Monday 26th May 2008

2»

Comments

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    FL - YAAAHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! V. satisfying to lay the ghosts.

PH - that's coming to be good solid racing. I wonder what sort of times you will eventually be doing.

20min - oh good, racing like that, I can hope things are ok.

IM, Scooby, top prizes for keeping positive under v.v.v. trying circs. Scooby, really lovely to read your posts.

Trini - in the absence of good physio, good anti-inflammatories might be a good first step. Ask the doc. Something in my experience sides with Scooby's opinion - a sudden severe inflammation doesn't read like a lurking one which by slow degrees becomes critical. There might be a chance that a short course of anti-inflams (keep eating - avoid what happened to Paula in Athens (as I understand it)) will reduce the inflammation with minimal scarring, and attention to shoes might avoid exacerbation later.

NZC - hope you shift the cold pronto.

London - I didn't get my entry in. Too slow off the mark. At the time I was having real trouble running beyond 4.5 miles, so there were reasons behind my sloth. Still, it probably means I will never run London. I will not do a golden bond place (too much pressure), and having failed to enter this year, I break my losers streak which, given one more year refused entry would have guaranteed me an entry. I now think I probably could get round 26.2 miles, but not in realistic time scales outside of LDWA events.

Thanks Chouette, did get a nap, and feel a little more lively - no longer slumped staring at a point in empty space just beyond my nose.

• I know it's only early days (hours) since Edinburgh but looking into the future, I'd say that, yes, I'd do another. I ran well within myself yesterday, the last 3M were a bit gruelling (never knew that a mile could take so long - never mind the last 0.7M!) but I was determined not to walk, let alone stop.

I reckon I could do a bit faster and I have always promised myself that I'd do London.

• Great work FL and Hippo! Fantastic results from both of you.

Oh yes, and congrats to BT as well.

I lifted for chest, back, biceps and abs and feel much less grrrrrr and frustrated now. I saw TONNES of cyclists out in the sunshine though on my way back from the gym and that made me a little glum. Still, I'll get there...

• Awesome stuff from the Jockrunners. Big Up to FL - 46 minutes, exceptional!

ps 'Big Up' is a West Indian term for 'Awfully well done old chap' in English!

Thanks for the vibes, they travel well and are hitting home! Doctor has me on anti-inflams (Cataflam), an achilles support and 1/4inch heel lifts in my shoes. Rest for at least a week, ice twice daily and physio on Weds (which I'm told will hurt). The sudden onset (only very minor niggles before) seems to make it less serious (per your note scoobs and stickless) in the longer term.

I'm going to SA to run Comrades, just that taper has started sooner than anticipated!

Attitude is everything, as my old grandmother used to say!

• Stickless

why not do Dublin

official 8 hour cutoff, actually its more like 10 hours

pammie-im not planning my 100th-i dont want to miss out on any mara to engineeer one for my 100th

it will be when it will be

and , anyway-theres 200, 300 to look forward to

• Yey! Good for you Trinni. Your old grandma was a wise woman indeed. image

Melissa - did you want to stick your (good) foot out and trip them over? The air has been blue when I have been driving in my car looking at all the lucky runners out there.  imageAs they cannot hear me it is a great way to let off steam! Stay strong and think of what fantastic abs you are going to have! You'll get back.

Pammie - glad you had a good run. :0)

I gave it welly at the gym which was good. Sadly I've rubbed my inner thigh raw - ouch as it rubbed on the bike seat. That hurt when I entered the pool.

33.50K all done on bike in 1 hour 5 (5 is cool down). Mopped down, flop on mat, stretches, more mops, swim costume stretched and hawled onto sweated body = not great, shower and then
    20 lengths all done, but I have to own up and say I used the steps as was a bit pooped. image

Right off to eat curry - YUM!

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

FL
    Congrats on the big PB

Hipps
    2nd fastest ever - well done!

Tom
    Last 1.2 are very "up", and inluded something approaching a sprint at the end!

DD
    There was someone wearing a Dubai Running Club vest in the race.

No running today, may get a few miles in tomorrow.

• FL - Excellent. Knew you could get to 3:30.

B*@?!r, I'll have to target a Marathon now. Millstone duly received.

• delighted to hear everyone doing so well in edinburgh, heard from various sources about the tough conditions so well done guys:

great relief for you FL, big chunk off indeed

2nd fastest for hipps means it probably would have been a pb on a calm day

vintage performance from gobi
    presume you did the sale 5 today?

can't argue with the morpeth youth but a fine report and a fine race BR, busy weekend for you all round

nice to hear sharkie on the mend
    yes, you'd think i'd be more likely to pick up bse or f&m here wouldn't you!

oh trini, not good timing but there may be enough if you rest it well. seriously hope so

M - priorities right there! keep on running and take promotion as and when

great to see you around sodahead
    nice balance of coaching and running, you have a great attitude, i hope the coachees appreciate you

some decent biking there TR - presume the new steed is nicely broken in

good wishes going out to WP, NZC, rundown, scoobs

took a rest day today
    monday is proving a sensible day ahead of the club session on a tuesday
    played golf match but very difficult staying upright in gusts, consequently lost image

• not sure how i managed to miss off 20 mins there - excellent half marathon on a difficult course in unpleasant conditions
    how did nightnurse get on?

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Superb stuff FL. Really pleased for you.
    Hipps - 2nd fastest mara? Not losing your touch I hope....... image
    Excellence again from Gobi and also 20mins with a scorching halfM
    M- sorry about the news, hopefully something better comes along...

Training - well 6andabit miles xc in 48.xx
    Why - rain, mud and sludge and I thought it was British summer time....

Have a great week

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

FL - AWESOME well done
    PH - Well done too
    20 mins - excellent, as you say now maintain it, well done.
    M - Sorry to hear.

Nowt for me running wise, but.... did help out with the Andover Young (Open) Meeting).....

Im am cold, and was very wet and dirty earlier.... 8am start at the track, setting up hurdles, de-watering the discus / hammer areas, then on the Shot are, all under water..... along with the long jump areas, we somehow managed to get it all sorted and the only event to be abandoned was the discuss due to wind.

Jnr had a hard race in the 1500, 19 secs away from his PB in 5:54, but it was horrible as well and was in same race as they put 13 + 15s together, also making it hard for Jnr. He was too wet and miserable to want to stay so pulled out of the high jump as he would have had to wait for another 2 1/2 hours, as as I had finished my chores, all the hurdles now away, I also wanted to get home and get warm, something I am still trying to do.....

Take care

• Evening all,

Just back from Edinburgh - Big well dones to FL Hipps and Gobi - good work to you all. Glad to see FL that the weight is finally lifted.

I'm sure that I was running next to FL for a bit (judging by his splits it is likely) and I'm also sure I saw Gobi finish.......

Which on that conundrum....brings me on to my day.

Got to about 13.5 miles and approaching the second relay changeover, I stepped on the side of a traffic cone went over on my ankle and that was it. Game over. image

Really frustrated, as it was going well, I had no problems, pace of 7:30 m/m was feeling easy, I was running controlled and not having as many problems with the wind as others have reported.

So pretty gutted. Tried to start again and hobbled as far as the relay change over water station (about a mile) but couldn't run without pain. So decided enough was enough, and knowing the course this was the last place I was going to be able to get back to the start easily so canned it there.

I have never felt so gutted in my life - on the bus waiting to go back with thoughts like "Maybe I should have tried to continue". But with time to reflect, these things happen and I think that I made the right choice in stopping when I did as walking today my ankle is still not great.

So, made it back to the finish just in time to see Gobi come in looking very much in control. And what an athmosphere there! Brilliant. Just a shame I was the wrong side of the barrier and not able to run through the amazing crowds. I think that my disappointment was topped off when I saw the group that I was running with for much of the first half come in at about my goal time of 3:15.

C'est la vie.

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

RFJ - well done to RFJ - it's tough when they mix up the grades.

Fell Liker - huge congratulations - you deserved that - great to take off such a nice hunk.

Hipps - well done on another fine marathon.

Trini - sounds like they've got you sorted. Just do what they say and you just might make that start line.

Scooby - sound like your other training is going well, enjoy.

Melissa - patience is a virtue, my old Mum used to say. You are doing lots of other stuff, and when your injury is healed there will be no stopping you. It's amazing how much more enthusiasm one has after a break.

Gobi - another race??

20 mins - another good half - well done.

What: still miserable with cold - walked to the post box to post some letters. Very boring day.

Good running everyone.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Aw FINgers, stink. What a disappointment.

Trini - that sounds a viable scheme, follow instructions and hope.

RFJ - sounds like a good night to come home early. I hope you both get warm soon. The idea of discus in this wind - aaaaarrrrghhh. Relieved that it was cancelled.

PH - Dublin- not sure. I really did want to run London before abandonning mara ambitions. In this my adopted country, and having stood at mile 17 so many times, I sort of felt it was my marathon. i wanted to be on the other side of the fence, just once. I have run enough marathons to accord them great respect. I need to be absolutely committed to doing it, both to get through the training and to get through the miles of cramping on the day. Dublin doesn't compel me. I don't know what it will be, or how, but I don't feel as if I've run my last mara.

Actually, there is one extremely long shot at London 09. Having failed dismally to join a running club twice, I am thinking of trying a third time, with the university running club this time, not trying to fit in with any pre-existing training group, but to offer to lead a group of no-hopers who would nonetheless like to have a go. I might then qualify for consideration for a club place. That's contingent on an awful lot of maybe's, but still, it's not impossible.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

FINgers - really sorry to hear that i imagine you are really gutted, daft question  really. But at the end of the day you did the right thing. Hope the ankle will heal quickly and you'll live to fight, well run another day

Stickless - fingers crossed for you in your London marathon

RFJ - Well done to jnr hopefully both of you will be dry soon

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Pammie, its not worth straining to cross fingers for. First is to test out the waters with the Hare and Hounds. (Hare, Hounds, and one Hobbled Hedgehog?) That will be challenge enough.
  • FINgers

Bugger

so sorry

• evening all,

Just about skimmed through the last few days worth of threads after a manic week, so (broadly) caught up.

RFJ: sorry to hear the bad news, hopefully things pick up for you soon
    Scoobs: thanks for the update, hang on in there.
    Well raced to Clink, M, NZC, hollywood, BR, Gobi, 20mins, hippo, and all the others I've invariably missed...
    FL: congrats on removing the millstone from round your neck.
    FIN: sorry to hear that edinburgh didn't go to plan, but, fwiw, I reckon you made the right call. 3:15 is yours to be had next time round.

What: Still rehabing, though can start gentle running againin a couple of days image
    Why: being sensible

Hope the ill and injured improve quickly 

• What:  2.5m
    Why:  Because I can
    Last Hard:  The last 9 weeks
    Last Rest:  Yesterday

• image))))))))))))

for AF

• evening

thought there were other Edinburgh performances to come in & both of them sound like good'ns - huge PB for FL and further confirmation of Hippo's wonderful form.

sounds like a battling performance 20, well done on getting close in those conditions

think I'm a bit too old for recovery runs Gobi style

M - what total b*ll*cks....if they can't acknowledge your value, they're not worth makiing an effort for.

Good luck with Achilles treatment Trini

what: 5.8 miles in 36:55, mean HR 159
    why: wanted to push it a bit - but didn't expect to break 37 mins

With wind blasting from behind on the outward half of this run, I expected to turn back into the wind well ahead of the clock (was looking for 38:00 or slightly better) - and so it proved. What I didn't expect was to barely slow down - or to finish with a 6:20 last mile head on into the wind.

Haven't broken 37:00 on this particular circuit since the palmy days of 2004.

Looks like things are starting to happen.....can this continue without something bad happening to my calves ...?

If so, there are 3 big events in June (Castles Relay, Birkenhead Park 5, and Penny Lane 10K) I can really look forward to....fingers firmly crossed (and compression socks firmly rolled up)..... 

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Evening all

FL, the lycra indeed :¬)

Sale 5 report

20th in 28.14, on a windy day this was all my legs would give me. Uneventful really, watched people go off too fast and cruised through the field running around 5.40 pace. Saw the second place woman in the last mile and while wayching her bum I caught her up. 5.23 last mile amazing what lycra can do.

Rach ran 30.12 and finished 3rd lady. All in all a good day out.

• Hello - mind if I join in? The thread I'm on is a bit quiet these days, and like many here, having just come back from running the Edinburgh marathon, I thought I might have something in common with you guys.

Well don Gobi - what was your time? I see you're still up to your ultra-amazing amounts of mileage. Being an old crippled lady I have to keep my mileage under control, though I do confess to one 70-mile week in training for Sunday. But mostly about 45-55 mpw kept me in one piece - that and the steroid injections in my arthritic back.

It was windy though in Auld Reekie wasn't it? And absolutley freezing on the start-line. Got a tan in the last 6 miles however. I enjoyed it all except the gravelly uphill stretch through the country park.

Well done to all the other Edinburgh finishers too. Not a course for a negative split!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hi slow coach, look for tuesday 27 and post there as most may not see you on here

Welcome to you!!!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can