Options

Who Fancies Comrades 2010?

Comments

• Options

Can't get organised in time for next year and would like to have a goal sometime sooner than '11.  I'll be starting to think about how I'm going to 'celebrate' my *cough, splutter* birthday by then.

• Options

Haven't you done heaps of ultra's though? 

It's 89.9kms - 52 (ish) miles

• Options

Only one so far PO.  Got the second one in September. 

Not sure I'd get the qualifing time this year and certainly don't think I'd be able to afford it.  The race entry is reasonable but I'd not want to do a trip like that, to a country I've never visited, and not be able to do it in a bit of style.  I'd not want to fly in, run the race, fly home!!

Thinking of doing a longer ultra in the UK next year as a build up.

• Options
    But from what I've read even the 'down' route has some nasty uphill climbs!
  • Options

Yeh it is pretty up and down.  But because Durban is on the coast and Pietermaritzburg is further inland, there is a more "up" when running from D - P and more "down" from P -D.

Having said that, South Africa (and especially Natal) is VERY mountainous so there are few races that will be anywhere NEAR as flat or "undulating" as the runs in the UK.   

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    You run over the same mountains either way. The issue is the 1st or last 30kms depending which way you run.

On the up run if you go out too hard you are toast by half way before you get to the big climbs.

On the down run if you use too much speed early your quads get nailed the last 30kms.

The 60 kms inbetween are up and down no matter which way you go :~)

Number 3 for me this year :~)

I cannot recommend this race enough. As for the crowd, there are some areas of the course that are quiet regards fans but you will not be alone and when you run through the towns the atmosphere is something special.

Do it you know it makes sense.
  • Options

Was going to speak to you about this when you got back Gobi.  I remember you talking about it at Draycote and you made it sound like a special race.

When are you off?  How's the taper madness going?!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Hiya Kaz

Friday is off time giving me 1 week to get acclimatised.

Thanks to my high mileage I still get 75 this week so it is not too bad I am also still doing all sessions including weights just less miles than normal.

That said my head is not great as all I am thinking about is the race and I have noticed that I am a little short tempered in the office.

Are you keeping well ?

regards

G
  • Options

Sorry, was showing my ignorance on previous post.

While I know ultra running has a massive following in SA, I didn't realise how many people take part each year.
    And by "running lonely" I was refering to spectators along the course as I assume parts of the course are pretty remote. I know it has a massive following on TV though.

Still wished I was good enough to give it a go.

• Options

It is run on the main road from Pietermaritzburg to Durban - which is the main road from JHB to Durban.  It's bigger than ANY event I have experienced over here, simply because people honestly make a day of supporting either at the race, or by literally getting up early and watching it on telly.  Every year, we have had the Comrades on TV from 5am

Because it meanders down some "narrow" roads, there are parts that may be a bit unaccessable to spectators.  But there are thousands of people running and where ever they can, people will be on the side having "braai's" and supporting.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    EM

there are some areas where few fans go but there is always someone. People drive out and set up camps with food and beer. It is a real occasion for people and most have either run it or know someone who has run it.

regards

G
  • Options
    Thanks for the education you two.
  • Options

As a South African, there isn't a hell of a lot I can be proud of! 

So I gob off when something comes up

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL plodd

I have been there a lot since 2004 and have also done two oceans and Longtom.

Great country just has a few political issues
  • Options

Yeh it's beauty still blows me away.  I miss the mountains and the highveld and the weather more than I ever thought I would.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I can understand that

I skipped Comrades last year and missed my two weeks
  • Options

Gobi,

Does my CV suggest I will be ok for Comrades and what time have you done it in?

Any top tips on where to stay as well?

• Options

Hi Gobi, bet you can't wait now!  Gets to the point where you've done all the prep and you just want to get going.  Safe journey and have a great run!!  Looking forward to hearing all about it!

All ok here.  Slowly getting back into things after my mojo blip-out.  Have started having some personal training again so hopefully that'll help me get some speed back in my legs.  Just started training for 'Mad October' - half looking forward to it/half wibbling!  I suspect the ratio will change the closer it gets!!  image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sherrif, your CV suggests that you will be fine as long as you get those long runs in and pace it well.

Accomodation depends on budget,family etc. There are a number of reasonably priced hotels in Durban and some very expensive ones. This year I am staying in an apartment with some South African friends. Strangely off the top of my head I cannot remember the name of the hotel I prefer but will find out for you. It is about a KM from the stadium in Durban :¬)Oh and yeah no matter which way the run is I am recommending staying in Durban.

I ran 7.49 on the up run in 2006, this year I am looking to go sub 7.

Kaz

My brain has already left, big C is all consuming now.

Tell me about "MAD OCTOBER"
  • Options

Sure you'll get it Gobi!  You've worked damn hard for it.

Having never done back to back races - or till last year more than one mara in a year - I've decided to give it a go so I'm doing JW, Four2Go, GER (the only shorter one!), Abo and Beachy. 

Had also planned to do Luton followed by Hastings the next next week but looks like we won't be able to do both the relay and the full mara which is a shame.

• Options

Hi all!

Count me in on the 2010 Comrades wishlist.  My goal before then is to do all the World Marathon Majors; by the end of 2008, I'll only have two to go - Chicago and Boston, for which I hope to qualify in Berlin - or if not, London.  After that, Comrades is the next big plan, though I'd probably do the Thames Ultra to 'rehearse'.

It's good to dream.  Indeed, it's essential.

Good luck with your sub 7 Gobi.  I'll bet you'll be well inside that!  Enjoy!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    cheers guys

the training is there it is just getting it right on the day

G

Kaz, that sounds like a lot of fun
  • Options

Sub 7 ehh Gobi - you are a man of steel.... lol

Good Luck - you will need to post a picture of your SILVER Medal on completion.

• Options
    It'll be a unique experience for me Gobi but I'm looking forward to it.  Felt like it was time to challenge myself!  Just got to hope everything holds out and I don't pick up too many niggles on the way.
  • Options
    I'll just add my GOOD LUCK message to Gobi.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    cheers everyone

20kms at 5000 ft + today

NICE
  • Options

Me... but you aint seen me in here right!

Everytime I've mentioned that I plan to do Comrades something goes wrong image In fact my 4 year build up to Comrades was originally supposed to end this year, so I should've been running Comrades next weekend. Ce la vie

But I will bookmark this thread.... and who knows image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Next year Trinity

2009 is waiting