Who Fancies Comrades 2010?

1293031323335»

Comments

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Fizziofinn - again no expert but would say very doable on those times. Qualifying time is 5 hours so you are well under that.
  • Evening all, hope you're well.

Following my posts the other day i'm seriously considering entering for 2011. I've done one marathon in 5hrs 2, got two coming up in Oct and Nov and well into my training for them.

I'll see how i feel nearer the time as i might never get the chance to do this again!

Ken

• FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Thanks Keith

Hi Ken. tempted to join you in the quest.. mind if I tag along until I finally decide?

BTW is the training plan that was posted a while ago the usual one for this race or what kind of schedule will get you to the finish line on the day?

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Have a look here http://www.comrades.com/article.aspx?Page=127 to get an idea of some of the options on training
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Martin - I am doing Venice this year and am going with 2.09. Although as yet they haven't taken any money from me.....Might see you there then.

Im surprised that the training runs arent longer. Apart frm the one 60km, most of the long ones are only marathon distance with possibly 12 mile runs the day before. I thought that there would be a lot more longer back to backs or 35-40 mile runs thrown into the mix.

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

I'm afraid I'll be missing from Abingdon - it's the same day as the Greensand Marathon which runs through the village where I live... It would be rude not to participate!

Martin - "know what I'm doing"? if only that was true...image As Mrs SD constantly tells me "grasshopper - you have much to learn..."

Katie - hope you get favourable test results - fingers crossed.  When I re-booked on Virgin for this year's Comrades, I re-booked my BA flights for Two Oceans next year - so I'll be there - BA permitting...

Fizziofinn - you'll be fine for a 12 hour cut-off - really you should aim for at least a sub-11 with your marathon times.  Were you looking at Lindsey Parry's program?  If you want a tougher one I can recommend Don Oliver's or Norrie Williamson's instead?

Ken - good luck in your marathons - hope you make the qualifying time.

Nearly got rid of my cold now - so may be able to do some running this weekend...

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Fizziofinn - I used the Lindsey Parry training plan, clocking up 1,100 miles from 1st Jan to Comrades. Don't underestimate the impact on you of doing 12/13 on a Saturday and 26+ on a Sunday week in week out. Its a tough program and is enough to get you round safely and in a good time.
  • Hi everyone

Great to hear the ongoing stories.

Ive tried to get in Abingdon for the meet-up, but its full!

Feeling so good (euphoria?) that Ive entered the Classic Quarter on 26th June, Lizard to Lands End - only 44m, and as Im at my peak...

ha!

And theres also the Atlantic Coastal Challenge from VoTWO, early October, 3 maras in a row along the Cornwall coast.

Im missing my mohican, -image but the silliness raised £350 for a very good charity.

As for 2011?
    A back-to-back?
    Damn right!!

Hope to see you all there.

Happy running everyone!

Great information . WIll check out those plans. I forgot that the long back to backs are EVERY weekend. At the moment I only do them every second wekeend , with 10/10's in between.

Midweek runs are a struggle to get out for me, so I hope that doing the weekend work will carry me through with whatever I can manage midweek.

Next one is an uphill   I take it , so woukld I be better waiting for the following year and downhill for my first attempt?

• Hi Fizzio

My advice is to go for the uphill next year - consensus is that its easier on the legs.

I think you are well ahead of schedule for what is needed, so keep fit and motivated, and look forward to the race of a lifetime next May!

I think I will go for it so.

Who is going to join me on my quest and how soon should one start booking flights, accommodation etc?

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

I am seriously tempted....forgetting the long hard training runs and thinking of the great day!

Last year I booked everything in November and that was very early and had no issues.

Done the "DOWN"  feel the pull of the "UP"

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    I intend to be there too. A friend is going for his Green number...(that's my excuse for 2011!)

I tend to keep an eye on airfares from July onwards and book when a good deal/promotion appears.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Actually I have excuses lined up for subsequent years too!

2012 one friend going for his triple green number, one friend going for his green number and 100th marathon & one going for her 100th marathon.

2013 two friends going for their green numbers.

2014 still trying to come up with something for this year...

;-)

have put reminder on my phone for the entry date.

Did a 26 mile training run this morning and have been fit for nothing since. NOt sure I will get away with abandoning housework and chores etc for 6 months so that I can do back to back long runs done. I get so excited reading all the forums and websites and then reality strikes.image How would I ever get the training done that is required , if I am not to die on the road in South Africa

• Hi Folks. I am lucky enough to be the UK Ambassador for the Comrades. if anyone is thinking about taking part in the 29th May 2011 Comrades (uphill), please get in contact /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif[/img]avid.marsh@mail.com]david.marsh@mail.com . If you have not done this race before and completed the odd marathon in around 5 hours or less, you should be able to get around the Comrades within the 12 hour cut off. The spectators are amazing and will help you get there. The UK has the most runners, after the South Africans & the history of the race goes back to the 1st World War. Finish back to back uphill & downhill races & you will receive an extra back to back medal. Complete 10 races over any period of time and you will receive a special green number that will be yours forever. Hope you are getting the impression this is a great race to get involved with. I am happen to be 50 & been running for just over 2 years...hope that helps you image

Best wishes

David

• Hi guys

I've been a little quiet of late... had a few things going on... the rollercoaster that it Trinity's life, more on that in a bit...

Katie... I thought of you so many times on the lead up and the day of the race. I secretly hoped that I would see you... simply to give you a huge hug... but completely understood why you couldn't be around us. I would have been exactly the same xx
    You will get there and race it, I know you will... and it will be all the more special. I would love to be there the same year to be a part of your day image

Welcome to this thread all the new prospective Comrades... is there a 2011 Comrades thread yet?

I will do all that I can to get there next year too, although I've had some bad luck which could affect my chances.

Some of you may remember that I have been going through my application process to get into the Police, and my only stumbling point was ironically the fitness test. I failed my first in October, and my second in February... both on the strength aspect.

Since that fail in Feb I have been training with a personal trainer every week... spent nearly £400 on Personal Training, I also bought my own set of big free weights. My test was due on 19th May. I tested my strength the week before on a machine the same as the Police use and I was well over the pass mark.

However, I got an email saying my test was postponed until 9th June.

So, I went to SA on 26th May, I obviously couldn't take my weights to train with and missed my daily protein shake. I ran Comrades, which obviously took more out of my body than I realised, because on 9th June I failed my 3rd and final test... you're only allowed 3.

How ironic is it that 10 days after running 89km in 9 hours 14 minutes I fail a fitness test with the Police.

Incidently I only failed by 2kg on the push test image

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Trinity - I'm really sorry to hear that. It's so unfair! Can't you appeal on the grounds that they messed you around by changing the date of your test?
  • Apparently the date change is not grounds for appeal. But I am going to appeal against the decision that I'm not fit enough.

I will also be writing a letter to a few people in high places

• SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Trinity, the most ridiculous thingv I have ever heard. You lost alot of your stength during thar race. I had to load my inlaws' luggage in a car as they were leaving for the airport two days after Comrades, I tried to pick up a bag and nearly went head first into the floor. On Saturday I did a 7km run and evertyhing was hurting.

No Trinity, they have to give you another shot at it.
  • Trinity- Thats insane! Dont give up

Will you all stop talking aboout 2011 Im starting to think about up runs

Just out of intest hows recovery going? Ive now had 3 runs with the longest at 5 miles. Still feel very tired. Im sure its normal but could do with understanding when things will feel normal again?

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Trinity - madness - you definitely should appeal on the grounds of the jobsworth nature of this decision. (although why anyone would want to join the police is a mystery to me!). Fingers crossed they see sense and allow you the opportunity to do the weight test.

Martin - yesterday was my first run back of any kind after Comrades. Did a half marathon as it was my local one so didnt want to miss it. Probably not entirely sensible. Was OK although hard work trying to run a bit faster again - have lost loads of speed at moment. 

• Thanks guys... it helps to know that you're all behind me. I go through pits of despair and then get up and want to fight and then down again... I'm trying to stay positive.

Keith... if you went through one day of my current job you'd know why image I need get out of there and get a job that gives me some opportunity to use my brain or I'll be found hanging somewhere!
    I'm underqualified and have been bringing up chldren for 20 years, so there's not a lot else open to me.

I'm currently composing a letter to The Home Secretary Theresa May, who not only has responsibility for national security and the police, but she is also now Minister for Women and Equality, which can't do any harm image
    I will copy the letter to my local MP Steve Webb who is often quite a prominent MP in the House.

Anyhooo... as for running, I ran 6ish miles the Saturday after Comrades and it felt very hard. So I rested last week (although not entirely intentionally... I was just down and CBA). Then I went out on Saturday just gone and felt great... my legs were back! I did 12 miles, 6 or which were sub 8's.
    On Sunday I ran another 6.5 easy and then nearly 8 offroad running with Colin image

I've got Boddington 50k this Saturday but I'll be taking it fairly easy image

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Trinity - it's ridiculous how common sense is no longer used or valued in this country - now it's just following rules to the letter regardless...

I ran the South Downs Marathon on Saturday. Was ok for 20 miles but found the last 6 a bit hard...finished in 4:51.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Trinity - good luck with your appeal. I really hope you get some good news. And bloody hell, boddington 50k this saturday. Although a lady of your calibre that should be a walk in the parkimage

Although i cant talk, have just signed up for the Connemara Ultra next April in prep for Comrades..

And yes you certainly loose your speed doing long runs. Its taking me a while to get it back. Did a local 5 miler this weekend in 31.21 so getting there bit by bit.

• Trinity - really sorry to hear about your fitness test - I am amazed that they didn't take your running into account. Have you ever thought of the army as a career, or even going down the route of the Territorial army?

I see that the Comrades coach and also my PT recommends that after running Comrades you should give yourself 3 weeks off. This is because your muscles will have 100s of microscopic tears that all need to repair before you start stressing them out again. Otherwise it will be very easy to get injured.

• Tricia, thanks but no, I wouldn't even consider the army, I'm a total pacifist... against war or war related professions

*holds the peace sign up* image

• Hi All,

Trinity that is nuts!!!! Reapply and challenge the head guy to a 55 mile jog!

Katie - glad to hear you had a good holiday, well prepared for another year now...

Well, I'll not be joining you folks next year. I'm doing the Coast2Coast here in October '10 (2 day mutlisport race), then doing the JohnO'g to Lands End 9 day bike ride in June '11 then probably the Kalahari 250km in October '11. I may be back for another down in 2012 as I miss my SA trips and, of course, you lot!!!

Tricia, i have followed that advice and just done a few very easy 3-4 mile jogs. Big training starts at the weekend when I have to remind myself how to paddle my surfski and ride a bike (not at the same time) image

Have fun all!