Who Fancies Comrades 2010?

Comments

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
  • Well done Gobi, Rach and Trin.  Super stuff.

I waddled round Leeds 10k today!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    as long as you enjoyed it Kaz
  • Bit frustrated to be developing another injury as I'm trying to work on my speed and just into autumn mara training. 
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    oh dear, whats happening ??
  • Have been having niggles with PF.  It's not affecting my running yet but was quite sore over the weekend/this morning.   Am using the RW 3 day a week plan to try and take some pressure off my legs.  Going to see how it goes this week and decide whether I need to see the physio. 

Just annoying, last year I lost 2 and a bit months (and did pretty much all my mara training as x-training) when I hurt my foot in a race and the year before I lost 3 months when I had the groin strain.  Just a tad boring!

Getting a bit worried that my little mad race schedule in Sep/Oct is going to fall apart before it even starts.

• I have just entered Beachy!  AM getting addicted to the tough runs in the calendar.  image

Kaz, I came back from a very serious illness this year using SMART 3 days per week training and cross training with rowing and cycling.  It has worked very well, though now I hope to get my running mileage quite a bit higher so that I can get back to pre-illness racing times.  I think you might find three days works well for you, at least until you've healed.  Good luck!!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    ah yes I see the frustration.

Enjoy Beachy I hated it
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Really think I'm going to do this in 2010 with a friend of mine. Interested in some decent books on ultra running and information on good training shedules to train for this distance. Just interested to read what is involved in training for something like this, the long weekend training runs for example. A long way off, but the seed has been planted now! Whatds the longest you run in training?

Cheers,

Rob

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    RS

My longest run was just over 70kms.

Largely I train like a marathon runner but do a number of runs between 26-40 miles.

regards
  • This could be an interesting year - Gobis long runs are the equivalent of a good weeks running for me (runnings not my main sport ) so the training is going to need to be shifted up a gear, or three. Anyway, months to go yet, dont want to peak to early  image

• ok... it's about time we gave this thread an airing image

My build up races are coming along nicely. So far I've got...

Oct 2008 Amsterdam marathon

Dec 2008 Hastings marathon

April 20th '09 Boston marathon

April 26th '09 London marathon

June 2009 Dartmoor Discovery 32

August 2009 Ridgeway 85 (not definite yet)

October 2009 London to Brighton Trail 55ish

...plus loads of training and shorter races in between

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭

You've probably covered this elsewhere, but will the 2010 World Cup make it difficult to get to the Comrades?  Anyone looked into this?

• Slight adjustment to my build up races...

August 2009 Kent 50 Chaqllenge

• Tmap...

I think that's why Comrades is in May in 2010... that's what Gobi said a while back anyway

• Hi

I've copied most of this from a previous thread  I've just written on but it's more relevant here...

the organisers are expecting Comrades 2010 to be very popular (as it is world cup year), and have made some changes, for a start off they have changed it to a down hill run, they are limiting the race to 20,000  AND more importantly for novices the first 15,000 places are reserved for those who have ran it before. In effect you (and myself) won't be able to enter until November 09 at earliest , previous entrants can apply Sep- Nov. You can still use a qualifing time from 24/25th May 09 onwards though, which all means there might be a scramble for places (if there are any left...)

More info (click on 2010 comrades) http://www.comrades.com/

• I'm doing this next year for sure but entries don't open until January.

I ran the venice marathon ABOUT 6 weeks ago plus have done several marathons in the past (12 i THINK) plus a couple of ultras (the max being 49 miles 2 years ago).

I am planning to run the Luton marathon this Sunday but am now thinking about splitting up the miles over the weekend ,  i.e. say 10 miles on the Saturday and 16 m on the Sunday or something similar, Luton is a 3 lap course so I can always pull out of the last one.

I wouldn't be doing Luton for a time purely as a training run - i.e. slower than marathon pace. My PB for a marathon is 3h26.

Can anybody tell me what the best thing to do is?

Karen

• all points north wrote (see)

Hi

I've copied most of this from a previous thread I've just written on but it's more relevant here...

the organisers are expecting Comrades 2010 to be very popular (as it is world cup year), and have made some changes, for a start off they have changed it to a down hill run, they are limiting the race to 20,000 AND more importantly for novices the first 15,000 places are reserved for those who have ran it before. In effect you (and myself) won't be able to enter until November 09 at earliest , previous entrants can apply Sep- Nov. You can still use a qualifing time from 24/25th May 09 onwards though, which all means there might be a scramble for places (if there are any left...)

More info (click on 2010 comrades) http://www.comrades.com/

Thanks for that info! That puts a different perspective on things... so does that mean that there will definitely be 5000 places left for novices, or will they allow those who have done it before to completely fill up the race?

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

arse....so I was looking at doing this as it is an up year...or 'was' - plus the footy....thats a double negative in my book.

MInd you I should stop looking at these sprint races really.

• I've just looked at the Comrades site... looks like there will be 5000 places for novices.

I'm kind of tempted to rejig next year's race schedule now though... and do the two down runs image

•  Trinity, yes I think I got a bit ahead of myself, reading it again it does appear there will be 5000 (minimum) places set aside for novices. I think as long as we have our fingers poised and ready on the comrades website in November 09 we should get in... 
  • jAN AND i ARE ENTERED im SOUTH AFRICA FOR 2009 which gives us automatic qualifiacation for Comrades 2010 hurrrrraagh

So thats the 2010 race sorted

• IRONMAN ATHLETES QUALIFY FOR COMRADES

Date: Sunday, September 14, 2008

In future all official finishers of the popular local and international Spec-Savers Ironman South Africa endurance event (excluding the Ironman 70.3 SA) will automatically qualify to run the Comrades Marathon.  The only proviso is that the Ironman event takes place within the CMA’s official qualifying period which runs from 15 June 2008 to 28 April 2009. The Ironman event which comprises of a 3.8km swim, 180km cycle and full marathon (42.2km) has a reputation as one of the toughest sports events on the planet.  Similar to the Comrades Marathon, Ironman tests the boundaries of human endurance and reminds us of the resilience of the physical body when under duress.  Renee Jordaan, Race Director of the Comrades Marathon explained why the CMA made this decision: “Athletes participating in the Ironman events rate among the fittest sportsmen and women in sport.  There is therefore no doubt in our minds that those Ironman athletes that manage to complete the event within the officially specified time, are physically fit enough to take on The Ultimate Human Race”. Over the last few years the CMA has forged links with the organisers of the Ironman South Africa and we believe that by affording Ironman finishers the opportunity to enter for the Comrades Marathon, we will afford many more ultra athletes the opportunity to participate in and experience one of the ultimate challenges, which is the Comrades Marathon. The CMA has recently set the 31st March 2009 as the official closing date for entries but will allow athletes to submit qualifying times until the 28th April 2009. This means that athletes who plan to use Ironman South Africa as an official Comrades qualifier will have to submit their entries to the CMA by 31st March 2009 and then submit their Ironman times after participating in the event on the 5th April 2009.
  • Looking at doing 2010 with a few friends. How quickly do you think those 5000 places will go?

in 2000 they had 23000 entrants. I would be surprised if they beat that as there was a lot of hype for the millenium at 75th race. Anyway I'm hopeful that there will be more than 5000 left come november but we shall see...

• Trinity_ wrote (see)

Slight adjustment to my build up races...

August 2009 Kent 50 Chaqllenge

4 of those are now completed image

My updated calendar is:

May 09 Halstead Ultra 30 miles

June 09 Dartmoor Discovery 32

July 09 Kent 50 Challenge

Sept 09 London to Brighton Trail 56ish

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Right, Comrades 2009 done and dusted.

Time to start thinking about 2010...image

SD

• Hello slow duck, you will know me as darkhorse on FETCH (long story) just cant get comrades out of my mind. image

Advise please. Have completed 6 marathons with a best of 3.52 however got a strees fracture in heel during London but still finished! so will not be runing until July when training prog begins. Would be looking at sub 11 but a bit concerned after will have been off for 9 weeks. July looks perfect for restarting either way. Am I mad.? also looking at the training do people do shorter races e.g. 10k/halfs during your training as I cant see much fast running apart from the monthly 5k time trial?

Thanks

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Hello Martin 006,

You're not mad! The mad ones are the ones who run Comrades and go back again and again! My Comrades training proper only starts in January so starting next month should be fine. Yes I run all sorts of races from 5km time trials upwards. Usually try to get a short ultra (35M - 40M) under my belt in March or April for the longest training run.

Your London tale seems to indicate that you have the right mindset to be a Comrades runner...

SD
  • SD... how did you get on this year?

And do you think it's possible for people who haven't run Comrades this year to get a place in next years event? I understand it's going to be a bit tight