Sheffield social

Comments

• Chimney - rest !

ET - that's a nice bonus about the free entry. 

Anyone parkrun today ?

Long run for me this morning. I wanted something flattish so parked up at Hillsbororugh and headed north. Went up to Deepcar, over to Green Moor where there was a b1tch of a hill and it was exposed to strong winds, back through Stocksbridge and then back down to Hillsborough. It was nowhere near as flat as I thought it was going to be and those few miles up near Green Moor were really tough on the old legs. Total mileage of 18.1 @ 9:40 so just what I wanted. The knees are suffering a bit at the moment and I'm aching loads but to be expected until I can get a few of these runs under my belt. I shall be enjoying a few beers tonight, purely for medicinal reasons of course

• Carter, seen your run on strava. Ha ha ha. Hillsborough to deepcar flat. Ha ha. Ok its only a 250ft climb but its a gradual continous up slog to deepcar but you drop 50ft back down at warncliffe side then start climbing again. You took the easy way up to green moor.  Going up underbank lane which you ran down or the shorter steeper Pea royd lane  is my usual hill work.  Good running though.   image

• GIRO. - I was certainly glad I ran down underbank lane rather than up it !

• Rest Carter? Of course. I was off in North Wales this weekend with some friends from down south. A 16m wander along a ridge line isn't running, well, apart from the jog down the flank of Y Garn to the bottom as it was getting dark....... TBH, quite happy with the day, had a few twinges on the steeper ups, and a bit of pain on the jog down but overall held up quite well. Knew I had a calf this morning though. Turned down another similar wander today. 

ET, saw that on the Inskip thread, congratulations. Hope you're feeling better. Life just isn't fair sometimes image 

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Ha ha. I did the last south yorkshire x - country race yesterday and things didnt quite go to plan

http://wp.me/p1jtyD-5e

Good run Chimney

• Evenin.

carter - great miles there and at a pace that sounds about right. cheers for the `encouragement` from your car on Sunday!

chimney - yeah, it`s the Valiants HM which is new and sounds good!

Not done much running since feeling pukey but will test myself tomorrow. Was supremely confident about Sunday at Bosa but not so much now.

• Love the blog Owl, the success of the run just made the rest seem like a whimsical day eh.image  Wish it had been a run for me at the weekend, but it was just a wander.  I would have been crippled if I tried that at the moment! 

ET, does this mean I've actually done more running than you in the last couple of days. 

Thinking about popping out to say hello to the Totley crew tomorrow night, haven't for a while, may just jog out for the first mile or so, just to see what it's like after the weekend.......

• Chimney - I saw some of the Totley crew out last night along Abbeydale Road, were you there ? 

ET - are you going to be fit for Bosa at the weekend and gunning for a PB ?

I did 8.5 miles last night that included 4 x 800 (splits are 6:46, 6:33, 6:40, 6:21)

• Morning, 

No, not amongst them last night. Mrs C's father died yesterday ( fully expected ) so being there for her at the mo. 

If I don't get back on before next week best wishes at Bosa ET & Owl.

• Evenin.

Sorry to hear that chimney. All the best.

carter - I`m guessing those splits are the pace if they were miles - ? Look pretty tidy if half that is 800s on roads. Looks like a great start to your training so far.

I`m feeling fine and fit to run hard at Bosa. Pretty confident of being in PB contention if the weather is reasonable and the course is as quick as it suggests. My training since Preston 10 miler has been below par but hoping I have enough post-mara juice in the tank to bag a 2013 PB full house.....image

• Chimney - sad news, hope Mrs C is as ok as she can be under the circumstances.

ET - yes, those times are the pace if I was running miles, which I dont think I could run 4 miles at that pace. The knees were a bit dodgy after that run so I had a few days off to give them time to recover. I reckon my original ITB issue was brought on by the speed sessions so I have decided to knock them on the head for now. I think I need to get plenty of miles in my legs before I start with the real speed sessions again. So, for now, I think I will probably do 1 or maybe 2 of my weekly runs at MP with the occasional one at HMP. Nearer race day I will introduce the speed sessions again. That's all I can think to do at the moment to help protect the knees; does anyone have any thoughts or comments on that ?

I've recently reviewed my stats for the year and was surprised to learn that I have run about 1300 miles this year and that is despite struggling with the ITB issue. I averaged 4 runs a week @ 33 miles and over the year have done about 80k feet of ascent. Anyone else got any stats to share ?

• carter - good work. you`re going great guns. decent mileage and already a couple of LDRs done and in the bag. Personally I would not ditch the quality stuff. I think it is very important. However, personally I cannot do much fast stuff on the road without real aches and injury threat. I run speed stuff on the grass in Graves or Millhouses (or track if I ever get the chance). The speed might suffer a little (compared to what you think you should nail) but benefits do accrue if the effort is there and leg strength gains too.

Bosa was a good race. Reckon I ran well but slower than I`d hoped (44.17). Everyone seemed to slow from 5-6km on, including me, but I kept gaining places. Best local race IMO.

• Afternoon all.

It's very quiet on here at the moment, I assume everyone is busy training hard and haven't found the time to log on.

Chimney - hope everything is OK with the family.

ET - how is your training coming along ?

I managed to get out quite a bit over Christmas and ran about 100 miles or so over the 3 weeks before, during and after. The knees are starting to creak a bit at the moment although I have been doing my stretches. I've got a sports massage booked in for tonight as well

• Yay!

Was looking to bump this thread but carter beat me to it.

Kept meaning to ask a few 2013 questions but never got around to it.

Toughest race - (me - probably Belper 30k)

Proudest of - (Preston 10, decent PB time paced well with big finish)

Most memorable - (Running with daughter for last 400m at Nottm)

Worst - (Floundering from 21 to 25.5 at Nottm)

Anyone else? 2014 goals?

I`m going ok carter. Niggles clearing a bit. Did 35 last week with a nippy 15 on Sunday. Done two 6`s this week. 8 tomorrow, 4 Saturday then 10-12 Sunday. Race HM a week Sunday. Great base building by you!

OH`s doing parkrun this week.

• .   Toughest racel - redbull steeplechase   Proudest of - Redbull steeplechase. 25th at final cut off   Most memorable - Redbull steeplechase   Worst - Blackpool marathon (not being able to do anything when pace dropped)    Anyone else? 2014 goals?   Brass monkey half next week in sub 1:22.00 2:50-2:55.00 @ blackpool marathon 6th April Sub 3hr white peak 17th May   
  • I see ET had a good run at inskip half.    image

I had a pretty good day too in the cold and rain at Brass Monkey half. 1:21.22

race report

http://wp.me/p1jtyD-5Y

• Morning!

Yeah, I had a decent run at Inskip, just what I wanted and a fair reflection of where I`m at. Paced it well for a change sticking pretty close to 7.35s all the way rather than set off at PB pace and blow up. Training going well and done more miles this month, albeit steady ones, than any since August I think. Dewsbury next. Don`t have any speed but I like that race and then maybe Wombwell 5.

Great time GI! Quite a step forward.

• Ooh ET - yeah I see you are doing Dewsbury - nice one - CJ and I are doing it too - she's hoping for a PB and I'm hoping not to quash an already low self esteem even further!!! Bolloxed knee means my run training is pretty pants at the mo - I can still run, but I can only run fast, so just threshold stuff and speed work - unconventional but needs must! My form is better if I'm running 'purposefully' and less foot to floor contact time. Training times are improving by my PR times are going down the toilet! Though I have always done a pretty brutal bike the day before. That's' my excuse anyway . . . and I'm sticking too it!!

Gaz - how's the mara training going? Sticking with the mileage? 

• MOZ!!!!

Will see you in Dewsbury hopefully and be nice to have folk to spot after the turnaround, although it is difficult to not spend too much time looking at the Kirklees scenery, eh?!?! On the positive, it`s not a bad time for a triafferlete to be curtailed in training, is it, as you lot only race in t`sun, don`t you!?!?

I`m looking to race hard but have zero leg speed at the mo so would be well happy to be a little quicker than Bosa. Planning to start with Rich B.

• Kinder Trial for me today was a big fat failure. I've raced local fell races with there have been some sort of trails. Today, though, up round Hayfield and Kinder Scout there weren't many trails which meant running through very wet, muddy uneven tussocks. My legs couldn't handle it so I called it a day after 7 of the 11 miles

• Ooh nice one ET image! I've done Dewsbury before and remember it as pancake flat - but Lee says it's slightly up hill on the way out thus down on the way back - I always run a faster second 5k so  that's good news for me!! Having said I'd never waste my money - have booked in for a sports massage on Wednesday - need to sort these biking legs out or I'll be crawling round!!! Rich B? Hoorah! Not seen him for ages!! Don't look for our SP vests - we'll be donning some rather dodgy ones!

• Moz the marathon training going well. Following the david Oldfield (coach of Sheffield running club) plan of self destruction as close as possible.  One hitch was I was supposed to do a 20mile run last Sunday while I was in the north Yorkshire dales but the thick snow, sleet, gale force winds and freezing temperatures made it nigh impossible to get out. So I did it yesterday.  Supposed to be averaging 50-60 miles per week but last week was only 32m miles and if I do all my planned runs will be 70mile plus including the mickleden straddle fell race on sunday.  

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

/members/images/387143/Gallery/routes-chart-elevation.png

Moz - profile for Dewsbury. That makes it look worse than it is. It is pretty flat, but there's a definite climb to halfway. So all I meant was don't worry if you're a bit down on your predicted time at the halfway point, cos you'll get the time back in the 6th and 7th KMs. Good luck!

Oh, and ey up and stuff image

• Blimey. Might have to do some hillwork then! image

• ET - you could breeze up that no problem !

GIRO - I have run the Mickledon Straddle route before, not the race, and found it pretty tough going on the feet with all of those rocks. Have you raced here before ?

A tough couple of weeks for me with trying to sort out family stuff at home. I've still managed a few runs but not quite as much as I wanted so I will count that as a cut back week. I've got a 20 miler planned tomorrow along the Monsall Trail with 10 @ MP. Should be interesting... 

• Carter.  The mickleden route is one of my regular runs I do when up Langsett for an off roader. Not raced it yet and if, and I mean if I do race Sunday it will be just a fast paced hilly training run plus the 5mile home. If not its a possible 25miler with 2 other sheffield running club guys.  

• Thank you LS21! Was good to know the course profile - I'd remembered it as completely flat!!! Had got the speedwork/thershold stuff in but weekly mileage down by about a third so had a reasonably safe A target of 40.30. Sett off with CJ (she was at the end of a training week and had got a massive 5K PB the week before) and she shouted out 3.47 for the first k - 99% sure I'd manage a sub 40 as I was so comfortable, but still anxious that the lack of running miles would put a spanner in  the works. Noticed the slight incline, but hit the turnaround at 19.59 (my first sub 20 5k o f the year!!) - went a little too hard on the next k so took my foot off the gas until about 1.5k to go, blimey that last bit was hard! Finished in 19,42, 4 secs shy of my PB so over the moon image! Plan had been an early season benchmark and a relatively comfortable sub 40 so I'm exactly where I wanted to be. Gonna try and step up the mileage, but I'm going to have to be really careful - just doing it by adding an extra rep on to my interval sessions as I think it's probably the least dangerous way as I'm already warm.

Great to see ET image and a PB to boot?!! Missed Rich unfortunately, was hoping to spot people at the turnaround, but the sun was blinding so I missed everyone! CJ was a little disappointed - 1 sec off her PB - but she was defo tired - her breathin rate was faster than mins and she wasn't quite in the zone. ET - we're gonna go back to basics and start doing the 1k's at target race pace that we used to do at the track - remember those?!!

Good to see you last night Gaz and glad that the ankle isn't too painful/swollen. But TWO maras in a 6 week window image?!!!!

Am now an affiliated runner (TNT - so not proper runners obviously) so hopefully will get to a couple of road league races. Also gonna try and nobble a sub 39 10k. I want to be doing sub 40 off the bike. Well . .. it's a target!!!

• Morning!

Moz! Was good to see you and CJ posing at the finish too!

My race went spot on. Done no speed work, managing a couple of niggles, but a decent amount of aerobic plodding (opposite of Moz training!) but knew the course well and was hopeful of a decent run.

I managed to get there dead early and do loads of warming up. Saw Rich and Walt at the start. Rich was wanting to run a fair bit quicker than I was planning but we both started together right at the back. I was looking for 4.20s. Rich shot off and left me stranded behind the plodders but I did get him in sight and tracked him for the first half of the race about 5 - 10m behind although he picked it up at 4km though. I was spot on time and hit the turnaround at 21.55 knowing that the second half was quicker. The sun was dazzling and I missed a marker or two but felt pretty good. All race had been spent overtaking and I kept at it to finish strongly.  I`d hoped for a 43.## but I clocked 42.44 which was a welcome surprise and a big PB. Got PBs in all other distances in 2013 so this one was a great start to 2014. image

First time Rich has beaten me in five 10k races but, fair do`s, he nailed it, and didn`t fade as I`d expected him too. Next should be Wombwell 5 for me later this month so I`ll look for a 5 mile PB there, I reckon.

Anyone else got races lined up?

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Morning,

Top bombing you two!! Great times there, so well done!

ET - I might be doing Wombwell I think yes. But would run there, do the race and run back to give me a 17ish (so I can tie it into Mara training). Have you done it before? It's not the quickest course, but you can run a decent time there if you pace it properly.

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Wombwell profile. That one probably is as bad as it looks!! Actually it's ok. First mile bang flat, then 1.5 miles of climbing, 1.5 miles of decent and a flat mile to finish. I reckon it's maybe worth 20-30 seconds on a totally flat course, but if you run the first half sensibly you can really push on towards the end.

My mile splits last year were 5'54, 6'21, 5'56, 5'32, 5'33 - so that gives you an idea. Good race, I like it.

/members/images/387143/Gallery/routes-chart-elevation_0.png