Options

Sheffield social

Comments

• Options

Thanks LS. The Dewsbury profile did help remind me about the course and I knew that, if I was about right at 5km, I`d do well and I then ran close to 5k PB for the second half.

I did Wombwell last year and enjoyed it. Very `old school`!

• Options

I did a recce of the grindleford gallop on Saturday. There was mud and wind and a bit more mud. Oh, and there was some wind and mud. It took 4 hours to complete the 21 miles due to the conditions and in particular a hill behind Bakewell station that was barely walkable. All good fun though and another 20 miler in the bag in preperation for Manchester, that's the fourth I've done as part of this training. 47 and 43 miles the last two weeks and the knees are holding up so feeling more confident as each week passes. Snow forecast for the next couple of days which will make a pleasant change

• Options

Mornin!

Carter - sounds like you are going great guns at the moment and managing your programme a lot better than for your previous mara plans.

Nowt to report really. Twisted my ankle playing hockey last week and that coincided with the sniffles so not done a lot of running really. Hoping to plod a few tonight. Didn`t run last night; nice to not have to run like I would have if I was in mara mode. Still intending to do Wombwell but won`t if the weather is daft.

Anyone got any races on the horizon?

• Options

ET - I, we, have got the Grindleford Gallop coming up !

Now I'm feeling confident I will make it to the start of Manchester marathon I have just entered it. Hope that's not the kiss of death..

Are you not doing a spring marathon ?

We also need to do beers soon

• Options

At best I`m 50/50 for the GG. Let me know if you do any more specific practice for it as I could do with testing out my calf / ankle. If I do do it, it`ll be very steady and only if weather is ok. At the mo, I just want to do some races without devoting specific training for them.

Mara-wise, maybe Wakie or Chez Vegas.

Beer-wise - always ready.

• Options

RIP Sheffield Social thread.

• Options

Giving CPR to it wont help Baz. 

http://onikage108.deviantart.com/art/Monty-Python-Dead-Parrot-Sketch-340728178

• Options

34000 posts but over a million views! image

• Options

I'm guilty of viewing often and posting seldomimage

I'll try to contribute.

I'm running Arley Hall, Valiants and North Lincs (Scunthorpe) Half's, anyone doing these?  
    Going to be a busy couple of weeks but I like to hit something like 'form' and then have a real go at it.

In the summer I'm going to do the weird off road thing around Sheffield and the Holme Pierpont (sp) GP in Nottingham.  Then give Parkrun all my attention.

What are peoples goals/ plans for this year?

Cheers

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Reet Sheffield folk.

Glad to see we are making the effort to get this thread going again.

I've got Manchester marathon this Sunday; this is my first marathon and I have been training towards a 3:45 finish. I ran the Grindleford Gallop a few weeks ago and I think this sort of event will be my main focus in the future. So, based on that, I have entered the Long Tour of Bradwell in august. This is 31/32 miles around Bradwell, Castleton, Edale, Bamford with about 7000ft of climbing. I will also be racing in the Gritstone and Totley series of fell races. The plan is also to get out and about on my bike a lot more this summer.

• Options

Carter - all the best for Sunday. It sounds like you have managed your training plan very well and pretty much nailed the long runs. Is it 5 x 20 miles you`ve done?

Personally, I next have the Valiants HM and North Lincs (welcome Coral btw!). Should be in reasonable shape, ish, but done no real speed work this year.

Anyone else got races? 

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Thanks ET. Yes, 5 long runs that included the Grindleford Gallop route twice. Plus several 15-19 milers as well. Strangely, during the last couple of weeks tapering I have started to enjoy doing some shorter, quicker runs mostly around HMP pace. These seem to have blown the cobwebs away when feeling sluggish. I've just done a steady 5 miles and felt great, more or less gliding along. It's as though someone has replaced my legs with a brand new set ! Let's hope it feels like this on Sunday !

• Options

Shame about Sheffield Half.  I don't run it as I don't like the course and think it's bad value, but lots of mates love it.  I think as a city we came out looking like alright folk but the organisers.......

My race in Arley was canceled so I did consider doing it for the experience/ warm-up for Valiants.  In the end I did 10 miles at race pace around the Flask Saturday morning.  Free and no issues with water as there were always loads on my right.

Anyone ran any races lately?

Coral

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Hi Coral

Sorry to hear your race was cancelled too. Sounds like the Sheffield half was somewhat of a shambles.

I ran Manchester marathon yesterday, my first ever marathon. I started my training last year aiming to crack 4:00 but the training went well so I revised that to 3:45. I ran strongly all day and felt great for most of the time. A couple of little wobbles but nothing a good talking to yourself can't sort out. I decided to put the hammer down at 21 miles so pushed on with the last mile being around my HMP. Not sure where that one came from. I ended up clocking in at 3:36:41 which is more than I could possibly have hoped for. A thoroughly great day and I reckon I will be back for more

• Options
    That is a great time carterusm, congrats you must be chuffed!

I keep thinking about a full but I'm still enjoying the half. I will get my self sorted and run one before I'm 50. Always fancied Loch Ness.
  • Options

Great work Carter! Top time. I think GIRO has done a marathon recently too.

Coral - sounds like Valiants HM will be low in numbers.

• Options

Yep. Fantastic build up ruined by the one thing I have no control over.   3:03.20 in 38mph headwinds in last 4miles

http://wp.me/p1jtyD-6A. Blackpool marathon race report. 

White peak in 5 weeks for another pop at 2:50.00 - sub 3hr with hopefully  less wind

• Options

ET hope Valiants is a goer, too many cancellations going on in our sport.  How do you know numbers are low?

runningowl, wind is the sure fire way of turning all best laid plans to mush.  It is so crushing when you have put in the hours, done the work, ate the right things, tappered........and then wind time in tatters.  Happened to me December last year in Newcastle (race course) half marathon.

Running the RV 10K in the AM not too bothered about time as I'm full on for half's at the moment but it will be a good run out, make me push n breathe (sound like child birth).

• Options

Coral - I saw on another thread that Alan said only 125 entered so far. Not sure what sort of shape I`m in. Doing 10-13 miles today so we`ll see.

GIRO - That`s a PB isn`t it? All the races I`ve done in that area have been windy. You just hope it balances out but it rarely feels like it does! Good luck with the sub-3.

• Options

A PB by 3min 36sec, last year at Blackpool marathon it was perfect mild with next to no wind but I messed up in so much that weekend that I kind of expected it was this year, sods law when I got everything right

• Options

Yeah, fair do`s. The wind in Nottingham (Holme Pierrepont to be exact) really did for me, and a fair few others,  last year.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Recovery from Manchester is going quite well. No injuries but a couple of very little niggles/aches but that hasn't stopped me getting out for a couple of short gentle runs. Another week or so and I will be ready to start increasing the mileage again. I've also been planning my races for the rest of the year: June - the Intro Ultra of the Peak District. Starting off at Whirlow Farm it's a 50km run that takes in Stanage, Bamford, Hope & Castleton and is about 4500ft of elevation. August is the Long Tour of Bradwell, another 50k around Bradwell, Castleton, Edale, Hope and Stanage, this has about 6500ft of elevation. 

After thinking I would only run one road marathon I enjoyed Manchester so much that I've decided to enter Chester in October. I believe this is a fairly flat course so I reckon I will be looking to beat 3:30.

ET - good luck with your half at the weekend. Have you decided on your race strategy yet ?

• Options
    I may/should see you at the long tour Carterusm. I seem to have had next to no fatigue from blackpool marathon. Started steady running after a couple of days and now back running sub 7mpm again. Even chancing club speed endurance session tonight. 4 weeks saturday till white peak marathon.
  • Options

Just back from Valiants, had a great time.  Bit of a head wind at times but other than that great race.  Would recommend having a go next year if you like a flat, fast and scenic course....and free bacon buttyimage  Did 1:23.30 which on the day was fair considering my fitness and the headwinds at times.

ET I looked for you but couldn't see N.1 anywhere, did you run?

Cheers 

• Options

Great run Coral.  image

Unplanned parkrun  at Hillsborough this morning. Legs were still fatigued from speed endurance but it turned out to be the easiest 5k PB by 5sec in 18.10. Never got out of 2nd gear and didn't need to. Sub 18min has to be in the tank when legs are fresh. 

• Options

18:10 at Hillsborough is good going.  Last time out at Parkrun I did 18:23 which was OK but course was flatter than Hillsborough.  The third time up the hill finishes me every time.  You could probably go sub 18 at most other Parkruns Hills is a toughie.  I'm looking for sub 18 this year late on but will hand pick the event ie flat as a pancake!

• Options

Coral - yeah, I ran, sort of. I`d planned to start very steady and do the second half at my target pace for North Lincs HM (7.20s) but that was a bit much tbh. Cracked on a bit too much from 6 to 7 and then was OK for a couple then flagged. Could blame the headwinds but it was a quick course. Died a fair bit towards the end and finished in 1.43. Nice event though and cracking time by you! image

GIRO - PB and in second gear!? (How many gears you got!?)

• Options

ET - ha ha. I iz a machine wit many gear. HR stayed around 160BMP for 3 laps then 194BMP for last 0.1mile Sprint. It was a controlled tempo style run rather than a full out race blast fearful of blowing up on 13days after Blackpool and 2 days after my return to club speed endurance. Splits of 5.56, 5.59, 5.56 show I got pacing perfect. If I had been racing the splits would have been more 5.40, 6.05, 5.56.image

• Options

Ran the 10K at RV yesterday as I needed a run out before my half at Scunthorpe this weekend.  I wanted to try to run a flat 6mm average but only managed a 6:02mm average.  My legs were a little iffy after Valiants half last week and a guy over took me at 5miles and I kind of gave in and lost my rhythm for a while.  Kids really enjoyed it though, plenty for them to do, very important when you have 3 from 4-9 yrs!  If they are happy me and my other half are happy .  Shame it was short (approx 0.1 mile) as I would love to have run 36:50!!!!!  I can not take anything away from the final time but I would guess it would have been a 37:30-45 full 10K.  Not complaining as it was a bit of fun, great cause and a run out.

I think I also met runningowl and had a quick word.  Hard to tell from pic but same guy who runs Hills parkrun.  

Anyone run Askern 10K before?  If so how was it?

Cheers 

• Options
    I am indeed the hillsborough parkrun event dictator.

I mean event DIRECTOR. or was I right the first time? image