Sheffield social

Comments

• Coral - bumped into some SRC runners the other day and they were saying that Askern was a very quick course. I`m thinking that, after North Lincs HM, I might do Dronfield FC 10K on the Friday night (toughy) and / or Holymoorside on the Sunday. OH is doing Dambuster on the Saturday. We`ll take turns with our little uns!

• Thanks for Info ET, I'm going to given Askern a go. After North Lincs on Sunday I'm going to have a light week as my knee is starting to complain. It's odd knee pain as when I run it is perfect but aches like hell the next morning.
  • Ran North Lincs last Sunday in 1.22:49 chip time 2s slower on the gun as I started a few rows back because of the nippy field of runners.  Happy with the time but found the last 4 miles a slog.

How did you get on ET?

Basically this week I'm being very lazy and then will get back on it on monday ready for Askern.

• Great work Coral! I was just under 100 mins, so a couple of secs (literally) than my season`s best but 2.5 mins slower than I was last year which is fair. Felt like I ran as well as I could. Last bit is a slog but very fast course and favourable conditions.

Did Dronfield FC 10K tonight which is a cracking race. I struggle to think of a better local one tbh. Planning on starting training for Chesterfield Mara at the end of the month but doing Buxton HM first.

Anyone else got races lined up?

• runningowlrunningowl ✭✭✭

White peak marathon next Saturday but I think I've pushed a little to hard in the 5 weeks since Blackpool and now need a easy taper. Legs are sore and energy levels low. I have no doubt I'll get round but not sure sub 3HR is on. Might end up being a long training run depending on how I feel at 15 & 18miles. 

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Nice running Coral and ET.

I'm still cant decide if to run Eyam half or not. The way my training plan is set up that weekend should be part of a cut back week and I don't know if I have the self control not to push it if I entered it. Still time to think about it though.

Intro Ultra Tour of the Peak District is up for me next. It is about 30 miles with 4000ft of elevation on 21 June. I've done one specific training run which was 15 miles and took in part of Win Hill, Bamford, Hope and Hathersage. Really tough on the legs but I'm putting that down to being just 3 weeks after Manchester. Was due for a long one this morning but beers and a takeaway last night meant I went back to sleep when the alarm went off this morning. Need to get more focussed and cut back on the beers

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

Wanted to do the Dronfield this year, but life got in the way again, 

just had a look at the Buxton half, looks like a tough race, have you done it before ET

• No S32. Not done Buxton before but it seems to be a `must do once` type of race, as was Eyam. There was talk about there being a series of these tough local HMs which would be a tester!

GIRO - Good luck at White Peak. Weather looks like it will be glorious, hopefully. My OH is doing the Tissington Trail HM later in the year and I think that is along the same trails.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

GIRO - good luck at White Peak.

S32 - have you raced at Eyam before ?

ET - I've signed up for Eyam this Sunday but will be using it for a training run. I've only chosen this over Buxton for the tee shirt !! What's up for you next ?

• carter - good luck with the race. I found it tough to race Eyam `easy` but you`re in good shape for the climbs by the sounds of it! And be careful with that conversation starting t-shirt!

I might parkrun on Saturday but I`m at a beer festival on Friday night . . . .However, done 24 or 25 miles already this week with a rest day today.

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

Thanks ET, I am free that weekend so may give it a go

cater, no not done Eyam was thinking about doing it this year, but will be walking around Derwent with a load of Scouts instead.  have a good race

• running eyerunning eye ✭✭✭

5 weeks after a poor London marathon and really unsure on what will happen in the  White Peak marathon tomorrow -aching and stiff legs BUT the weather is going to be hot- hottest day of the year so far! At least I now have an excuse for a shit time!

Any one have experience of the running weekend from Whirlow farm, quite fancy the 30 miler as my first attempt at more than marathon distance but never done any navigation- is that needed for this?- if so think will try 12.12 this time and go one a training day (or just read and practice) for navigation

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Running eye - the 30 miler at Whirlow is my first foray into the ultra world too. If you are a local and run around the peaks then I think you will recognise the course. I have the route on strava so if you need a map of the route send me a message I will send you the link. I've ran a good percentage of the route in the last couple of weeks and the 'proper' climbs start in the second half of the race. From Yorkshire bridge you go up the steep climb of Win Hill. You will be climbing the first half and walking the second. Then there is another climb at Abney but I haven't been up that yet. The last climb from Hathersedge up to Burbage. The first part of this climb is through fields and I had to walk it all. Then you head up to Ringinglow, and I was able to run a fair bit of this as it's more of a long drag, and descend near Higger Tor. The rest of the route I have run so far is fairly runnable with a bit of rolling undulations. Best of luck if you go for it !

Thanks Carterusm I will message you for that link. 

I live near Ringinglow so run a lot around that part of the peaks-,start a lot of my long runs from the Yorkshire bridge but go up to Howden rather than tackle Winn hill- this would give me a reason to do so!

Hathersage to burbage may be on part of the hathersage hilly triathlon run route, very steep hands on knees stuff if so. 

I will see how the marathon today goes and more importantly how I recover- hopefully  I will go for it! Can walk to the start at Whirlow sure that wouldn't be the only walking that day!

• Good luck re and GI. Beautiful day for a Peak plod but not PB weather. Start steady, I reckon, and be sensible. 

We'll that was bloody hard work. 6 minutes slower than last year but 1 place better so will take that. So hot today! My wife had a lovely time watching in the sun but a bit too hot for 26 miles running!

Now need to decide it's either 2 week recovery then start PnD 18 week Plan or 6 weeks recovery and 12 week plan- Robin Hood then Snowdonia next.

Best of the above two option????

F*** f*** f*** a bloody DNF at 16.2miles. So so hot. 5miles of stomach cramp followed by alternating hot flushes and shivering meant I made the decision to pull out before I made myself ill. I'd realised at 13miles I had actually lost the ability to sweat despite motoring at 7.05mpm pace. There was no point pushing through for what was looking like a poor time. #noregret

Advantage is after a easy week I can start back straight on speedwork and the aim for a low 35min 10k
    We passed you on the turn around section r/owl thought you was looking comfortable at that point ( around 11+ miles) I felt pretty good there as well still around 7:10m/m pace- it went pear shaped after that.

Yes so so f##%ing hot
    Running eye I guessed it was you. I stopped because even after 3 cups of water and 2 cups orange as well as a gel I didn't feel hydrated. Because I was already 3min behind sub 3hr before the water station and had spent 3min there the sub 3 would have meant I needed mostly 6:30mpm for the remaining 10miles. The heat would have made that stupidity. The plan for it being a fun run was also not on. The stomach cramps and heat meant it was never going to be fun. Figured better to pull out and concentrate on other more important targets in the month's to come. I was still running comfortable but something in my body wasn't right
    My strava of yesterday. http://app.strava.com/activities/142441646

Mile 15 split includes stopping to unsuccessfully have a poo.
  • Thought about you all racing today and guessed it wouldn't be much fun. Press on and nail it next time when we are not experiencing August temps in May!

I did 13 miles in the hills yesterday and did exactly the same this morning. Weather was great for a plod around the tops of Bradfield.

10K in Askern on Weds then Hols then get the fat off!
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Running eye - good running. 6 minutes slower is not bad at all in that heat. I've messaged you the link to the tour of the peak district.

GIRO - sorry about the DNF but certainly sounds like you made a very sensible decision.

Coral - sounds ideal to be plodding around rather than racing, it was a scorcher.

Eyam half for me yesterday. The plan was to use it as a training run for the tour of the peak district next month. A tricky course made quite tough with the heat but well worth giving it a go. Stunning views at the top of the ridge yesterday and you could see for miles. A couple of tricky hills at 2 miles and about 10 miles but more than made up for with plenty of descending. I found it quite tough on the legs yesterday. Plenty of water stations and some great crowd support makes this a really nice local event. I came in at 1:56 which was just as expected so a good day for me, especially as I got to pick up a race tee shirt.

Anyone running Buxton next week, I think ET is ?

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

well done cater sound like you had a good day, happy to see your knee is sorted, are you planning on running LB50 this year?

I will go to Buxton next weekend if I shift my cold in time, anybody know if it will be full or is it safe to enter on the day?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

SH - not sure if you can enter on the day. Here is a thread which might give you some more info or at least someone you could contact to help - http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/the-lomas-distribution-buxton-half-marathon/275994-2.html

Not doing LB50 this year. Next up for me is the Ultra Tour of the Peak District next month and Long Tour of Bradwell in August. They are both 30 mile/50km so I will look to step up to a 50 miler next year I think

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

Thanks cater, I did LB35 last year with the plan of dong the 50 this year, however I think 35 is far enough image     

Doing the GNR and then Chester mara in Oct, will then decide if to do the 50 in 2015

Thanks for the link carterusm appreciate it.
  • Well done those who raced this weekend. Sounds like some sunny fun out there!? What do you think caused the hydration problem GIRO? A bug?

Got me thinking of my toughest races, weather-wise, and they`ve all been in heat. Worst were :-

1)Mansfield HM in 2010 - my OH got sunstroke just watching on the hottest day of the year!

2) Fleetwood 10k - did with Rich B. Fine for first 5 k but then you turn onto the prom and it was just a heat trap, sweltering. All times went out of window.

3) Owston Ferry 10k - hot and windy. Like being in a chuffin dryer.

I ought to cope ok with heat having lived in warmer climes for a good few years but no!

I am doing Buxton on Sunday, just for fun. Not intending to race, at least until the last few miles. Just need to shake off niggly PF. Pretty sure it doesn`t fill up and so EOD will be fine.

ET The fact I had headache and trots Saturday night, couldn't hydrate enough yesterday despite staying out of the sun all day and that I feel crap now makes me think its a bug rather than the heat. Something in my body feels wrong. still cant sweat despite working all day in the sun. Anything ive done today has wiped me out.
  • GIRO - Yeah, sounds like a bug. Hope you get back to it soon.