Sheffield social

Comments

• Hi All

Hope your back on it runningowl sounds like a combo of heat/ bug.  Fatigue drops your bodies guard and thus a bug finds a way in.

Ran Askern 10K on Wednesday night, what a well organised little gem of a race that is.  Fast but strange course flat-uphill-down, my miles look really odd as a result 5:46  5:53  6:15  6:27  5:59  6:03 (5:48 last .26).  Official time 37:54 so 41st. Very warm and sunny but managed OK.  I think with a bit better prep and rest I could do a fair time here.

Just entered the Owston Ferry 10K on 15th June then read what ET had to say about it!!  Hope it's a cloudy day don't fancy a hot one.

Cheers 

• runningowlrunningowl ✭✭✭
    I did it last year Coral and it was still fairly hot despite being cloudy. Also on my plans but being as flat as it is can be windy. My aim is something in the mid 35s
  • I`d heard Askern was good and a quick course. Nice work Coral!

`mid 35s` GI?! For 10k? What`s your 5k PB?

Owston is flat as but, as GI says, it is prone to wind as there ain`t a lot of cover. Ditto with the Axholme HM. image

My current 5k PB of 18.08 was set at hilly fields parkrun this morning in the torrential rain. The clue to the course is in the name4hrs kip + belly full of beer & crap food + slowing down for muddy stretches + not knowing course = new 5k PB

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/hillyfields/results/latestresults/

Some steep uphills on tarmac and muddy grass. I was out on my own for the majority of the time. 4hrs sleep and slightly hungover after watching Arctic monkeys in Finsbury Park I reckon this would have been a sub 18min on a flatter course. Mark hill ran 18.18 @ rother valley this morning and I'm 40sec plus faster at hillsborough/hallam.

Now marathon training is over im working on speed with the coach at Sheffield running club. Current official time for 10k is 36.58 but ran 36.09 in a flattish 10k training rin not long back.
  • I have to say that is rapid.  I'm right on my limit at 37:30 for a fast 10k.  Breaking 37mins is a great achievement and going for a sub 36 mins is getting very near the front, elite in my book.  You seem to have made some impressive gains in speed what would you put it down to?  

Hard bloody work. Ha ha.

Changing clubs to a more friendly one with guys same pace and faster than me turning up regularly also being coached. Got a marathon plan from coach dave Oldfield that at first look was jaw droppingly tough but actually putting into practice was achievable. I wouldn't have trained as hard myself. Made me a stronger fitter runner
  • S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

Hi All

Went to Buxton on Sunday, I found it very tough, but very enjoyable, the steep down hills really hurt my legs, all things considered quite happy to finish in 1:48

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

GIRO - nice PB at a hilly parksun.

Coral - are you already in a club ?

S32 - nice running at Buxton, sounds like you came in quite close to ET.

A nice hilly long run for me yesterday. I made the climb up Ringinglow Road to Burbage Brook when a blister forced me to change my route. I was going to go down to Hathersage but turned back as I didn't fancy being all the way out there and unable to get home unless it was a long slow walk. Came back through Dore and went up and down Dore Road then up and down Whirlowdale Road. Total run was 20 miles with just over 2000ft of elevation. Good preparation for the Intro Ultra Tour of the Peak District in a few weeks time 

• No Carterusm I'm not in any running club.  Basically I just wing it and make it up as I go along.  I enjoy running but would love to get to a good level and I think a club would really help.  I'm 45 next year so if I want to get a sub 18 5k/ sub 37 10k/ sub 1;20 half, I've got to get my skates on!

Anyone any suggestions for a club?  I'm pretty much into road running at the moment but I'm doing my first off road race in July and would want to look into this in the future after I crack my goals.

Cheers

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Coral - I think most of the Sheffield clubs mainly focus on road running (I'm happy to be corrected) but I know looking at Totley's website they do lots of off road stuff. They also have a series of fell races throughout the summer. Maybe have a look at some websites to get a feel for things. Nowt wrong with being 45, I was that age last year !

I would recommend us at Sheffield running club or steel city striders. Both mainly road but more and more started doing off road races too.

Not sure on SSC but sheffield is ??20 a yr and you get 15 races paid for ie. SYRL , SYXC, Yorkshire xc, northern xc, national xc and road relays. Obviously the England athletics levi is included and that gets you ??2 min off races. We are quuckly catching Hallamshire Harriers up as a successful road team And many win Iindividual prizes too. Askern 9mile last year we won just about every category. In a year ive won team prizes 4 times. We train Tuesday and Thursday from EIS at 6pm and Saturday is hill session in Oughtibridge at 10am. Many do hillsborough parkrun and rush off to do hills.

Striders seem to train every day from different places with no set base.
    Most clubs let you try them for a while before you join to make sure you like it.
  • S3200H wrote (see)

Hi All

Went to Buxton on Sunday, I found it very tough, but very enjoyable, the steep down hills really hurt my legs, all things considered quite happy to finish in 1:48

Must have seen you. What were you wearing? I was just under 1.48 and was wearing a black vest and a hefty beard!

I enjoyed the race. For once, I didn`t run myself into the ground but it was still a tough race. After Axe Edge, I went steady and was overtaken by a few folk but it meant I was ok on the climb to Jericho. The last few smaller climbs were tough though but I didn`t flag too much. Glad I did it. Training for Chesterfield now under way.

Coral - club-wise, they all seem to have pro`s `n` cons and Totley are the most focussed on off-road stuff.

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

Don't remember ET, I had a black shirt with some green and was warring a grey running belt

steady week this week then start training for Chester mara, think I will use the P&D 55 mile plan

• Ok. Don`t think I passed you but spotted you on pics! (wearing Asics shoes?)

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

no White/Blue Mizuno,     is there some pics somewhere?

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

Yes 686 are you 328?    Thanks for the link

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

ET you must have passed me somewhere on the first hill, top left hand picture you are just behind me.    

That is a great web site I used to buy the odd photo but the cost of them is well over what I consider value for money.   

http://www.racephotos.org.uk/buxtonhalf2014_8.htm

• Yeah, 328 is me. Took me until Wednesday to recover but really enjoyed it. And it`s great to be able to get free photos and plenty of `em! and video clips now!

• GI - Sounds like great progress to me, and another PB yesterday?! What`s the crack with using Woodbourne during the day at the mo?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

It's gone quiet on here again......

I'm struggling a bit at the moment with my running, I'm not sure if I have fully recovered from Manchester yet. All running seems to take more effort than it should, even a short easy run. I have lots of little niggles so haven't been able to put the miles in in preparation for the Ultra Tour of the Peak District so I have decided not to race that. I've been doing some runs in the Hope Valley and now my quads are struggling too. Next up is hopefully going to be the Long Tour of Bradwell in August.

What's everyone else up to ?

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

Shame about the Tour of the Peak Carterusm, but sounds like you have made a good decision not to run.

2 weeks into the P&D 55 mile plan

no races planned until the GNR and then Chester mara, 

would like to do some local ish road half marathons or 10k if any body knows any

• Sorry to hear about the niggles. You still doing the Trail Rush carter? There`s also the 3 Lakes if you want a shorter run than the ultra.

S32 - think there`s Penistone 10k soon, not sure though. I`m planning 3 Lakes and Trail Rush which are both 15 milers. Oh and there`s Run In The Park at Graves next month. Good race.

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

Thanks ET, will have a look at those.  

Owston ferry 10k tomorrow. Uks flattest 10k

Whirlow farm 10k 22nd june. Trail

Penistone 10k 29th june - undulating

Stocksbridge 10k - wed 9th July - hilly multi terrain
  • S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

thanks runninggowl, but unfortunately I am busy on all those dates,

may do the Run In The Park at Graves, but it is the same day as a new Triathlon at Chatsworth and quite fancy going to watch my cousin race

• Run in Park - It is a nice but tough 10k S32! I`ll probably be there watching with my daughters.

I did the 3 Lakes today. Very good race and great value - loads of (needed) water stations, mug, pen, and loads of cakes. Paced it ok all the way. Didn`t full-on race it but did ok resisting temptation to gain places in the last couple of hundred yards. Training going well.

• Did the dig deep 12.12 today- what a great race, friendly and on fantastic trails. 

Anyone doing the round sheffield next Sunday?