Options

Sheffield social

Comments

• Options

Sounds good RE! Must look at that next year. Shame it clashed with 3 Lakes. I`m not doing the Round Sheffield but I know folk who are. I`m doing the Trail Rush next month, from which the Round idea appears to have been nicked!

• Options
    Yes ET I fancy trying trail rush also
  • Options

Did you do RSR running eye?

I went to watch in Graves and it looked like fun. I didn`t really see how it`d work until I saw the results.

I`ve been struggling a bit since 3 Lakes with a bilateral abductor strain so no running for a few days. Feel terrible with no exercise and replacing it with late nights watching football and the odd class or several of vino tinto. image

Still, I`m aiming for the Trail Rush!

• Options

Yes ET it was a different but good race, treated it like a long interval run and rather than walk, stop, rest between stages did a recovery speed jog.

The course equated to 20k racing and 5k transition-Managed a total of 1:19 for the racing sections (35 mins for the transition sections) 10th place overall-Shame they didn't do age grading results though image- was on a high after 1st Vet 40 at the 12.12 the weekend before.

It was well organized and the timing system seemed to work very well-would recommend for next year.

Looking at entering the trail rush will be interesting to see how my times compare on the same course

• Options
    S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

ET was you running down Callywhite lane in Dronfield today (23rd July) about 1.45

• Options

Yes! On the way back from work meeting family at Cliffe Park. HOT! Say hello next time!

• Options
    S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

will do I was stood outside work and just glanced you as you passed.

• Options

Have you done any races recently S32?

How`s prep for Bradwell going carter?

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

ET - training is going ok, I think. Difficult to tell until I've done the race itself. In the last month I've done 2 epic, for me, long runs - 23 miles with 4000ft of climbing and 24 miles with 4600ft of climbing. 6 hours on my feet so I'm hoping to finish the race in about 8.5 hours (towards the back of the field) so those last 2 runs were ok, especially considering the heat. My biggest concern were my feet and trying to adapt to running so much on rocks. Last week I taped them up which offered protection up til about mile 20. I think I'm going to have to man up on the day and endure some pain ! I've also signed up for the Ladybower 50 in September so am knocking an autumn marathon on the head. 

How is the prep going for chesterfield ? I'm up for some long weekend runs in a few weeks if you fancy it ?

• Options
    S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

No not raced since Buxton, my next race is the Great north run and then Chester mara in Oct.  

• Options

ET - I've just looked at the Chesterfield marathon website. It's £45 to enter ?? Manchester is £45 and London £36 so think £45 to run around Chesterfield is a bit of a rip off ?

• Options
    S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

the cost is getting very high at all races, with the loss of Sheffield image don't think there are any big races left that are not organised by companies needing to make money.  

I think the Dronfield 10k was £16 this year, the money is for a good cause, but £16 for a local 10k

• Options

S32 - generally, it seems to be road races that are the most expensive, especially if there is road closures and police etc in place. The Long Tour of Bradwell, next Saturday is a £50km off road - £13 ! But still, £45 to run round the streets of Chesterfield......!

• Options

Agree S32 and carter. Races with road closures are getting crazy expensive.

Chesterfield was £35 to enter in advance but I don`t do that unless imperative due to injury risks.... The only problem with London and Manchester is that you spend a stack more cash to get there, etc. Chez Vegas is £3.50 on t`bus. TBH , can`t justify the cost of any of `em at the mo.

• Options

Reet all. Long Tour of Bradwell completed on Saturday. 35 miles (2 miles further than advertised), over 6000ft of climbing (Pinder Lane, Hollins Cross, Ringer Roger up to Druids Stone, Lose Hill, Win Hill, Stanage Edge and Abney Valley) in 8:40. That was by far and away the toughest thing I've ever done, it was unbelievably hard. No injuries but plenty of little niggles and mashed quads. Next stop Ladybower 50

• Options
    Well done Carterusm, very impressive.

How did you find the navigation?

I am hoping to up the distance to something like this but have worried about my lack of navigation skills.

I did a navigation training day with Dave Taylor from the fell running guide on Friday. We spent the day on kinder scout- great day would highly recommend.

Just need to get the endurance now for this sort of distance.

What was your longest training run for this?
  • Options

Thanks RE.

I didn't need much navigation, as such, as I had done some training runs and recced the course before. Early on in the race there are still runners in sight too, not that I would recommend you follow them as they may be going in the wrong direction ! You will definitely need navigation skills though especially finding your way up and down Druids Stone (near Ringing Roger) and down Padley Gorge where there seemed to be plenty of trails/paths I have never noticed before ! I have been on a navigation course around Great Longstone which was really useful too. The longest training runs I did were 23 and 24 miles with about 4000ft of climbing. For me, the distance wasn't an issue, it was the climbing and descending that is a struggle. I would highly suggest practicing descending too. And find out what the terrain is like you will be running on, LTB had lots of rocky ,technical sections and if your feet aren't used to the battering they will get then it's going to hurt. I actually taped my feet for this and that helped

• Options

There doesn't seem to be much running taking place in Sheffield at the moment.......

• Options

Got Chester mara on 5th Oct, weel undertrained so it will hurt  

How did you get on at LB50 Carter?

good to hear the sheffield Half will continue, don't like how they are calling it the Yorkshire Half Marathon though, 

• Options

S32 - I still haven't fully recovered from the Long Tour of Bradwell so attempt to run a 50 miler would have been foolish. Now training towards an Autumn half, looking at Clowne in November at the moment.

What time are you aiming for at Chester ? What's your current PB ?

• Options

My PB is 3.23, but will get no where near that, think I will set of at 3.40 and see what happens

• Options

I did the Ladybower 20, was a nice race with friendly runners and organizers. Great to race a route I do a lot of training on.

The LB was a tester for Snowdonia marathon in 4 or so weeks not sure what the stats tell me though still don't have a clue on pace for Snowdonia.

Before the LB race I did the exterminator another great race but somewhat different to the relatively flat reservoir paths!

• Options

Morning!

Sorry not been on for a bit. Good luck for Chester S32 and for Snowdon RE. I`ve heard that that`s a really good race.

I`ve not raced since the Trail Rush and getting rid of niggly injury. Just trying to get back into 5 runs a week at the mo. Might have a pop at a parkrun soon and OH is running the Tissington trail half on Sunday.

I`m thinking of doing Worksop and / or Clowne but I`m unlikely to be in any decent shape. Bit different to last year where I got PBs at 5 distances over about 6 months! image Further ahead Manchester Mara is a thought but not if it clashes with Sheff HM.

hmmm, just checked and SHM is week before Manc.

• Options
    S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

Hi All

I would think you know, but if you entered the Sheffield Half last year you can register now and you will get a £10 discount on the £25 entry fee   You have until the 31st Oct  You will need your race number from last year 

• Options

This is the week before Manchester marathon so I won't be running it

• Options
    S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

think it is planed not to clash with the Leeds half that they also organise, they may loose a lot of runners who are doing Manchester

I have booked Windermere for next year, 17th May and then may do Chester again, Chester is a fantastic race, also hoping to do Boston 6 hour.   

I may go and run this on the 15th November if it is not windy, zero rest bite from the weather 

http://www.raceways.eu/site/events/the-shakespeare-autumn

• Options

I was considering Worksop at the weekend but I'm still not anywhere near in the right condition. Recovering from Long Tour of Bradwell in August is taking longer than I thought and the change to a high fat low carb diet is leaving me weak when running. My body is slowly adapting and I managed 8 miles last night which is the furthest I've run in ages. Might look to Clowne in a few weeks if I'm feeling any better

• Options

Anyone think the new Sheffield half route is going to scare a few people off?

• Options

Shouldn't do, it's pretty flat !

• Options

OPB I would guess it will put some people off, but attract other-in equal numbers I would think?

I love the look of the new route, shame it is not a full marathon then it could carry on up Ringinglow road to Stanage when the scenery really starts!

Just ran Clowne HM, thats a bit hilly (600ft ish) and a very well organised race.