Sheffield social

Comments

• Happy new year everyone image

I decided against running the new Sheffield half. Partly for fitness reasons and partly to let other people be the guinea pigs with a new route and new organisers.

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

I entered last week, done almost no training since October last year so will be hard image

Like the look of the new route, would be great to extend it to a full mara from the top of ringinglow road as well

• SH - did I see you running down Chesterfield Road on Tuesday night, about 7:15ish ?

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

No not me Caterusm  I live over at Lodgemoor.  How is your training going?

• Ah, right.

Training. At the beginning of the year I changed to a low carb high fat diet to a) lose some weight and b) to help my fueling over the ultras I've got planned later in the year. To start with, running was really hard work. My pace slowed by 2:00 mins per mile and I kept bonking as I had little fuel in me. The adaptations are slowly working and I now do most of my runs fasted. I did a 20 mile run a couple of weeks ago that included 5 @ MP and this was fasted and I didn't take on any food/fuel during the run. The problem I'm having is that I'm trying to change to become a fat burner while training for a PB in Manchester in April. The process can take quite a bit of time to become fully adapted. So, my runs are hard, particularly the speed sessions where I go into my anaerobic zone that requires carbs to fuel me. At the moment I'm a bit uncertain as to what might happen on race day, I think I could either knock out a great time (looking for sub 3:30) or completely blow up. Decisions decisions !

How's it going for you ?

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

wow sounds interesting, hope it works out for you

I have done very little since Chester mara last October, gave myself a few weeks off and life got in the way of my running,  just done the odd 3-5 mille run to keep the legs turning over.   Been getting out 3 time a week for the last couple of weeks and will be back to 4/5 in the next week to so.  training pace is up at 9-9.30 mim miles from 8min miles so lost so much fitness image but hopping it will come back quick.  

• Interesting Carterusm, I am also tweeking my diet and hoping to PB at Manchester without taking on any fuel mid run.

I usually try to get as many carbs as possible during a marathon build up but this time I am reducing the carbs, having more fats-mainly dairy and trying to avoid sugars whenever possible. My spring marathon plans are Manchester hopefully PB, then London at a more relaxed pace, then White peak at who knows what pace.

I want to run all 3 without any gels etc, Training at the moment is going ok but feeling hard-80+ miles most weeks all again without any fuel or water, longest single run so far without fuel or water has been 22 miles. If its warm for the marathons I will have some water during the race but only the odd sip.

I am like you Carterusm trying to become better at fat burning and less reliant on carbs/sugars, but I am not that strong willed as I can not miss my morning pre run toast with loads of nut butter and a large coffee!

• The idea, from a fat adapted athlete, is to not cut out cars entirely. I still  eat cars that do fuel  shorter faster runs but then on longer stretches my body has no problem  moving to fay burning

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Runningowl. I'm struggling to give up my latte in the morning, everything else is fine, even alcohol. I too can manage a long run fasted and without taking on any fuel. Short, faster runs are now ok too and I don't need to fuel for them. It's when I start adding MP miles into my long runs that's tough. I believe it's when you move from aerobic to anaerobic zone that your body needs carbs until you are fully fat adapted. It's getting better for me, for example, my long 20 mile run tonight included 10 at MP,  which is the most I've managed. Being lighter is also making a differenc. The only concern I've got is fueling for race day. Will I be fully fat adapted by then or will I need to take in fuel. 

• Give up coffee? Wash your mouth out. Lol. I have 4 or 5 a day. To help try adding a good quality butter in it.

Trust your training and use your judgement. No harm in cards on race day just not gels. Soreen I find works for me.
  • carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Runningowl. My first coffee of the day is a latte and this takes up about 30% of my daily carb allowance. I've also been having the occasional BPC (bullet proof coffee) but I find it is an acquired taste. 

I've only been on the low carb high fat plan for 8 weeks so I'm not sure I will be fully adapted in time to give it my all at Manchester without blowing up if I don't have some fuel. My current thoughts are that I will stay low carb until 2 days before Manchester then on the Friday and Saturday do the carb loading bit. I might also take a couple of gels towards the middle of the race as I start moving towards the anaerobic zone. 

• Wow! Sheff Soc returns!

Great work on the fat running Carter. Sounds like you are nearly there. I can run ok on empty but don`t really have any urge or need at the mo to drop carbs. I don`t really know what I`d eat either tbh; I`m not that keen on dairy and I eat fish but no other meat. Also would not want to give up wine and beer tbh!

I finally got the all clear from physio last week so I`m going to steadily increase the miles now. image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Did anyone run the Sheffield half on Sunday and how did you find it ? I guess the wind was blowing in your faces as you made your way up Ringinglow ?

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

I thought it was a fantastic race, so much better than the old course.   the route support and views were great   the wind was a bit of a pain up Ringinglow but paid us back on the way into town

problems were the lack of toilets at the start, queues were hugh and apparently the bag busses were a nightmare with people waiting an hour to get the bags back

fantastic race and well worth doing

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Why the need for a bag bus ?

• S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

just used busses instead of putting up a big tent i suppose , I think the problem was that the helpers took the bags from the runners and put them on the bus, when they got back it was like a needle in a haystack so to speak   they ended up unloading the bags and shouting out numbers.

the only way with that method is to let the runners put the bag on the bus so they know were to retrieve it from

• I did it. I thought it was pretty tough to be fair. My legs felt pretty tired after the climb so I couldn`t really take full benefit of the second half in terms of descent. Overall, despite a couple of clear faults, the crowds alone made the event worth doing. And I raised a decent amount for the BHF, my first charity run. image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

ET - I didn't realise you were running it, what time did you get ? Well done on raising some money too

• Cheers. Yeah, I gave no thought to the time or pacing as it was all about the memory tbh. I ran hard from the start and so I was struggling by 8 miles. Saw very few distance markers. Picked up the pieces as best I could and shocked to get back in 1.45. Got £500 raised too! image

• who still looks on here? hows everyone getting on?

saw Moz today and made me think of this thread

• I'm still here and keep an eye on if anyone has posted. Things are ok for me although I'm struggling to get motivated. I need to pull my finger out though as I've got the Hardmoors 55 in March and South Downs Way 100 in June, subject to my ITB hopefully keeping away

• good stuff Carterusm

• I still look in. I do miss the old days though image

GIRO - where did you see Moz? How's the parkrun going? Not been over for ages.

Carter - Hardmoors 55 as in 55 miles? South Downs Way 100 as in 100 miles? Wow.

I'm comfortable just ticking over at the moment with running to/from work and the odd shorter race. Sheffield half is on the possible list at the moment but not sure yet. Anyone else doing it?

• Cheers GIRO. 

Baz - yes and yes, although I'm changing from the SDW100 in June to the Autumn100 in October. Ticking over is good. I won't be running Sheffield half as it's the same day as Manchester marathon and I've promised to pace my cousin around, subject to having recovered from the 55. Don't you fancy a full marathon this year ?

• Carter - always tempted with a full marathon but I know I wouldn't have the time to get the training in. The training for a half is much more manageable for me at the moment.

• Morning. I`m still about.

I see carter and Aitch pretty regularly. Entered Round Sheffield Run at the weekend which is in June and a decent test. Not doing Sheff HM this time as it`s the OH`s turn! I like the adline, "It`s a hill, get over it!"

• Morning ET image

I did Oldham half in October and did OK so the hill in the Sheffield half doesn't scare me as much as it did last year.

• Baz, mozzy turned up to the NYD hillsborough parkrun.

No Sheffield half for me as it's too close to VMLM2016. After spending most of last year injured and getting fat I have nothing concrete racing wise bar the National xc championship in Feb, london (my last marathon, i am adamant this time after a jog around in 3.15 @ vmlm2015) April and north lincs in may. Need to decide if I'm doing a 20 mile or half as a warm up pretty soon and book it in.
  • How many times have you said last marathon Giro? Which 20 milers are you considering?

• erm....once. last year was supposed to be my last time but training never went to plan.  still did it but that sub 3hr is an itch i cant scratch and i feel im so much better than that.

east hull 20 a possibility but ashby could also do.