Sheffield social

Comments

• Sheils-Sheils- ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

thank you to you all for your kind comments about my cat. 

Stu- sounds like you had a brilliant time in Scotland. 

I think I might be able to make next Saturday. 

Been for a 6.5 mile run this morning at Kilamarsh- the Kestrels cross country course. They invited the Roadhogs along to give it a try as it's a new course. It wsa a lovely run, especially as the sun was shining. It was very pretty but a bit trecherous in places. We had planned on going to Edale this morning but took up the kestrels offer instead. Maybe do Edale next Sunday. 

• LOL - James May is on Top Gear driving his Vauxhall Insignia around the Peak District (Derwent Resrvr, Mam Tor etc).
  • Mozzy wrote (see)

Eyup chaps and chapess's - Happy New Year to eveyone!

Anyone know how long the Dambuster fun run is on the 17th April? I can't figure it out from the website but thought I might enter the kids.

Hi Mozzy did the dambusters run last year a good event but like Pjaz says the fun run and the trail race are both ten miles and basicly the same thing image dont know why they have two categories think its so it doesnt sound to eletist   the minimum age is 18 hope this helps

Did 13 snow coverd miles fom riverlin up to and around Dam flask then back home as my wife only did the run to the dam then ran back to riverlin and tookthe car

• Evening team.

I'm not well image Was awake most of the night with sore throat and hot and cold and been feeling pretty rubbish most of today. My back is really achy. Not been able to run because I just feel horrid! Grrrrr image

I can't believe it's back to school tomorrow - the holidays just seem to have gone so quickly!! It's INSET so should be quite chilled out first day back.

Heading to the sack soon to get some shut eye.

Night
  • Dids/Foo - ta for that - no wonder I couldn't work it out! I really fancy the Dambuster, but only a week before Sheff half/London mara (though half looking most likely). Anyone doing it?

Stu - I'll check me diary - 21 again is it? I struggle to remember how old I am these days - though a quick peak in the mirror tells me more than I care to remember.

Dids - take it easy - you don't want to do yourself any harm by over-compensating - why not take it easy until after your op? All the miles you got in the bank last year will mean that after a proper (albeit enforced) rest, you'll come back much stronger.

Just back from the pantomime (oh no you're not!) yes I am actually. Manor Operatics - absolutely fab - can't beleive they're all amateurs with day jobs!

Worked out my training paces for a  1.35 half mara - bloody fast! Not sure I'll manage them but I'll give it a go.

Reet - following Aitch to bed. Metaphorically speaking you understand. Don't think I'm quite Aitch's type! image

• <shakes the thread>

Get out of bed. You're all back at work today

• I should be but I'm throwing up! Stop shaking Cookie you're making it worse! image
  • I know you said you'd put on a few pounds - but that's a bit extreme imageimage

Aitch & mozzy hope you're both feeling better soon x

• Funny you should say that Bex - Just been getting better acquainted with the toilet bowl imageimageimageand thinking 'ooh fab! A little less to run off!' image

There really is a silver lining to every cloud.

• I`m really fed up! I was disappointed about my race being cancelled and now I think I`m in a sulk. It`d been hard to do training over the last couple of weeks but I kept going knowing that I could improve my half time but, to be fair, it was obvious that the race couldn`t happen. I`d also had very little sleep for the 2 nights previous because my daughter coul;dn`t seem to settle at the in-laws so that would`ve made it very tough. And now more snow and ice.

Diddz - yeah, I`m still keen to do BM, I think. Are you definitely not able to run? I suspect it`ll be very tricky after that op. My best friend had a triple hernia operated on a couple of months back. He got because his girls football team one the National title and one of them jumped on him to celebrate and `POP`!. I really do think and hope you`ll do well at half when it happens.
  • Oh no Mozzy there has been vomiting and dierreria bug going around for a bit.

*waves to Simon*

Stu afraid I'm probobly not going to be able to go eating with you for your burpday because of the bank manager. But happy to stare thought the window, hands pressed again the glass like tiny tim and then drink a pint of coke with you after?

Diddz I had a heania op in 2007 only a very minor one but wasn't exactly good at anything for a couple of months after. Id take it nice and easy after and do whatever the nice doctor tell you.

Right new year and the patch's aren't working unless of corse I'm supposed to be placing them over my mouth? can't stop eating!!!!!!!! nom, nom, nom, nom,

• Cake - me ma gave up smoking in October. She had been a heavy smoker for 50 years until that point. If she can do it, I`m sure you can!

Moz and Aitch - hope you feel better.

btw our school is closing at midday!
  • Afternoon all, and a belated Happy New Year to everyone! image

I've struggled to get near a computer over the festive season, but I hope everyone's had a great time.

Blimey my jeans are tight now! image

Sorry to hear about the race cancellation, ET image and hope you feel better soon, H and Moz!

Hang in there with quitting smoking, Cakey - it'll be worth it.image

• Cake, did you have proper consultation about which NRT product to use?  There's differences between 16/24 hour patches & if you were on more than 30/day you may need gum/inhalator as well as patches.  PM me if you want more info on drugs!

Think how much faster it's gonna make you!!

Right, I'm limping round the corner to minor injuries, to check i've not done owt stupid, foot pain has been getting worse since thurs (No running since then & only a gentle walk sunday) image

• image Did my own reseach and went for the patches but messed up slightly because got the 24 hours patches by mistake so don't think I can use them in the pool. Was to late by the time realised. Becky just come back from ponds forge just to warn you there is a sign up saying ladies changing room closed for building work so thinking you need to use the swimming changing bit.

Where is the pain in the foot?

• Blimey we're all in the wars at the minute!...

Aitch / Mozzy - hope you're feeling better soon.

Bex - Hope it's nothing serious.

Cake - stick at it mate, hardwork now will bring a lifetime of benefit!

Not loving being back at work today, is it almost Christmas yet?!

• ET - bad luck on the race being cancelled. Any idea yet if there is to be a rescheduled date?
  • First x-ray ever.  No fracture seen but still ?stress fracture so no running for 2-3 weeks.  Apparently skiboots will be fine though - which is a bloody good job since I had some wacky insoles made for them yesterday.  Only 19 days to go image

However whilst having them made I realised I have freakily high arches, have checked old trainers and have worn away all down outside so going to have gait analyzed on Mozzy's recommendation.

Pain is mainly ball of foot slightly to the outside, dull ache, with occasional shooting pain which sometimes goes towards arch or toes.  Also occured when woman pressed on my 4th metatarsal bone.

Great start to new year improving running.....

• Becky - don't worry 2-3weeks will pass in no time, can youstill do some cross training in the meantime?

Where you going skiing? No skiing hol for me this year which I'm gutted about but then I am off to Oz in just over a month so it's not all bad! image

• Well now you know it's 2010. Bit of shameless spamming for you. image

This year's Carnival will be the 11th April* - the theme is MUSIC!*postponed to the 18th April if it rains!
    We will be setting off from Mount Pleasant Park at 8pm and ending in the General Cemetery for a Jazz lounge style celebration.
    We have many roles available including:·

Publicity (poster design, distribution, press releases)
    ·Volunteer coordinator (volunteers needed for workshops and stewards for the event)
    ·Stewards
    ·Workshops Leaders
    ·Musicians for the event If you would like to get involved please come to our first meeting of 2010 on the 16th January 12- 4pm at Highfields Trinity Church (downstairs in the hall). This will be a half an hour meeting followed by big lantern making workshop and a lesson on how to make lanterns for those who have not done it before.
    Big Lantern making workshops for volunteersimageThis year we want to make some huge lanterns- we never really get to when we are organising it!)

If you want to help us out come to Highfield Trinity Church Hall
    16th Jan 12-4 pm
    23rd Jan 12-4pm
    30th Jan 12-4pm
    6th Feb 12-4pm

Workshops for the public:
    Small (ish) lanterns- Old Junior School ,South View Road
    13th Feb 12-4pm
    20th Feb 12-4pm
    27th Feb 12-4pm
    6th March 12-4pm
    13th March 12-4pm
    20th March 12-4pm
    27th March 12-4pm
    3rd April 12-4pm
    10th April 12-2pm (finishing off and flag making)
    11th April 6-8pm lantern collection

18th April 6-8pm lantern collection (only if carnival was postponed!). All of this is FREE!! Tea and biscuits will be available but please feel free to bring cakes!. There will be some other workshops coming up for big lantern at the church at a later date. If you would like to organise for your group to have a seperate session at the public workshops please get in touch- this year we will not be doing any outreach workshops but are happy to dedicate an artist to your group at one of the public workshops     We have a new website!! its under construction but please go have a look

Creative Action Network
    www.creativeaction.net

• Oh heck Bex - keep light on that foot! Don't do anything that hurts!

Cake - you'll be a new man when you've given up the weed! Stick at it matey and you'll fly!

I think (hope) I've stopped throwing up. Went back to bed as I felt dreadful and woke up thinking 'VIENETTA!' but Jon and my son had polished it off so I was forced to  have some ancient ice cream that had little ice crystals in it.  Anyway, I haven't been re-acquainted with it so looking good!

The SP's have a planning meeting for the Hairy Haggis down the pub tonight and I really want to go! Positive vom free vibes please everybody!

• image Mozzy being nice for once is it worth while me getting you some food on the way home and popping it through your letter box? Oh and I can put a big black cross on your door because your have the plague image
  • Cheers Cake but I'll survive! Staring and a cheese and pickle sandwich that I've told myself I simply HAVE to get down if I'm gonna make the pub. Oh dear. image
  • Boy, its been a busy day on here today.

So, some people are sick or fed up or both and others are OK.  A cheese and pickle sandwich after throwing up all day?? 

BMB - Sorry to hear bout your stress fracture - I'll be joining you on the bench next week for a while.

ET - a definate no to running the BM, even if they cancel my hips won't last 13m at present.

• PJAZ wrote (see)
    ET - a definate no to running the BM, even if they cancel my hips won't last 13m at present.
    You need to give yourself more credit Dids, you've been steadily improving all year and had been getting some good long runs in before this cold spell. If it hadn't have been for the op you would have had a cracking HM debut and you still will... it's just been postponed a bit! image
  • ...and when I say "all year" I mean 2009 and not the 4 days we've had of 2010!
  • Cheers Stu - I know, its just frustrating.  I was out of action lasy year between Dec - Feb and came back stongly for the summer onwards and should do so again in 2010.

Roll on the SIGSHM or whatever its called - that will be my comeback goal.

• Thanks all image

I went spinning, with my posh spec insoles in, hills/resistance not so good, but speed work's ok.  Body balance seems to have helped (I avoided one legged poses!).  I think it's more nerve pain than fracture but who knows, they told me just cos x ray is clear doesn't mean there isn't a stress fracture as they can take 14/7 to show...

Lots of swimming and core work I think for the next week and will see how it goes....

Stu - Alpe D'Heuz, never been there before but it was cheapest deal!  I'm envious of you going to oz, have you been before?