Options

Sheffield social

Comments

• Options

image Bad Becky where did you go?

Barry interested in the 5k but £10 sounds a bit much. Looks like it's going to pay for a t-shirt to wear instead of the charaty?

• Options
    BM Becky wrote (see)

so my favoured diagnosis of the day is mortons neuroma... (It's a good job i don't diagnose at workimage)

I have Morton's Neuroma in my left foot - its a sharp pain behind the two toes next to the little toe. And yes, where did you go skiing and how did you get there?

Sorry to hear about the sickness LS21 - had something similar about 18 months ago, that went on for about a week. May take you a while to get back to full strength.

Don't think i'll do the 5k or the Park Run (qwon't be fit for the park run).

• Options

Fiddle sorry didn't spot your were poorly LS is it still badish? Probably the same thing Mozzy has so you might have got it over her at the pud.

I've just discovered how you can get your own lane swimming in ponds forge. Wait until a blind person has just got out and swim in the lane saying "warning visionally impaired swimmer." I thought it was my smell or something, didn't work it out till someone asked me how I was still able to swim.image

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Cheers everyone - yeah I must be the only person to LOSE 4 or 5 pounds over Xmas! I wouldn't mind but I haven't really got it to lose to start with. Am feeling a bit better now yes, but still far from 100% - not even close to that actually. Am fretting about base mileage for Marathon though - am already thinking of maybe binning Stratford off for a major sub-3 effort later in the year. To go sub-3 I need to train my arse off and for everything to go perfectly - 2-3 weeks of 0 mileage due to illness isn't part of that plan!

Hey-ho - nice one on the pool Cake. Made me smile that one! image

• Options

LOL Cake, though I would have thought that the pool would have sussed you out and decided thay needed a 'Cake is this lane' warning sign anyway.

Aitch - I watched the Lanzarote Ironman on Sky Sports last night and saw a couple of pirates in full Pirate gear in there among the competitors.

• Options

ooooh, Dids, in that case do you go for a specific type of shoe/ have particular insole?

A podiatrist did mention mortons neuroma i think, about 6 years ago, but seemed to go with a cork insole with a metarsal pad on for work shoes and better trainers for aerobics (I wasn't running then).

I had similar pain after doing a lot of cycling with spds, so went for new insoles with high arch & metatarsal button and moved cleat which again solved it.  I'd not had any probs for about 2 years now, and it came on during run, hence why I thought I'd better get it checked out at minor injuries for anything acute.  It's also worse than it's been before.  Pain has previously stopped when I've completed offending activity & removed footwear. Out of the crocs and back in loosely laced trainers with nice insoles today image

ooooo- cake, how visually impaired do you reckon you need to be?  I can't see people swimming towards me until they're at arms length - do you reckon I count?!  (I've still denying swimming in contact lenses)

Skiing was on the ski slope of course image  Snow on that slope makes it a definate red run though, and I've forgotten how to ski so lots of falling over for me...  my knees are so bruised!  Was lots of fun though... it could be an expensive week for me, if snow continues to fall & ponds forge keeps closing & I can't run I may be forced to ski everynight!!

• Options
    image Take a 81/82 up past our end and ski for free? saw a few students doing it last night near Mozzy's
  • Options
    Don't have my own skis otherwise I'd be off into the peak!
  • Options
    What time does the slope stay open till Becky? Could be tempted to pop up there myself tonight.
  • Options
    BM Becky wrote (see)

ooooh, Dids, in that case do you go for a specific type of shoe/ have particular insole?

I have an insole i got from Colin the Podiatrist at Accelerate.  Not cheap, but i pay into a monthly health scheme which allows me to claim some costs back each year.  It a high arched insole to stop my foot sliding forward and squashing my toe against the shoe.

I've never been skiing - it scares me.

• Options
    image With slightly fuzzy head I've just dropped my 2005 play-off final Hartlepool 2 vs Sheffield wednesday 4 mug one of only 500 ever made. Handle's smashed.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Cake wrote (see)
    image With slightly fuzzy head I've just dropped my 2005 play-off final Hartlepool 2 vs Sheffield wednesday 4 mug one of only 500 ever made. Handle's smashed.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    I feel your pain, I recently chipped my favourite mug (Dumfries Half Marathon 2007) and all the rest seem rubbish by comparison!
  • Options
    Cake wrote (see)

I hope your special mug in Stocksbridge is still OK though.

LS21 hope you start feeling better soon.

• Options

God I'm really upset by this. imageimageimageimage

The special mug in stocky is still safe. Every time I turn up with a hammer I get distracted by a 3 year old.

• Options

All this fuss over a mug - you need to man up.  When my wife gave my favourite mug (a Mint Aero mug) to the builder doing our path and wall and he broke it - how do you think i reacted?

Thats right - I sulked and didn't speak to her and everytime she makes me a drink i say it doesn't taste as good as it would have in my Aero mug.

I share your pain.

• Options

All those hours starring into it thinking about Talbots goal, Maclean playing his soaks off and Whelan getting us ahead. Why cruel world why? It should have been me!image

Some people think I should get a life you know.image

• Options

Bad luck LS21! Though losing a few pounds over the christams period is pretty much on a par with finding the holey grail to us birds!

Bex - be careful of that foot! Still - at least you have access to super strong painkillers!

Well, my plans to really get back in to some sort of training routine this week have gone completely  to pot - vomming all monday, kids off school yesterday, back at work today - felt great earlier, but now feel completely washed out so I'm going home for a hot bath, a slice of cake and an evening with mt feet up in front of the box. And I'll start tomorrow image

Baz - I got the 5k entry form ta but I haven't yet computed when it is so I'll do that when I get home tonight.

Got our 3 teams sorted for the hairy haggis and looked at previous results - up to 2008 our A team would have probably won (we reckon we can do it in between 3.08 and 3.15), but it looks like we may have a better chance if we enter in  the 'fancy dress' category (not that we're in it  to win it, but it would be nice!) Any ideas what we can 'go as' gratefully received! (Oh lord - can't wait to hear what you lot come up with!)

• Options
    St Trinians? Would still be practical to run in?
  • Options

Moz - Running nuns? It would be a good habit - getit??

http://unhmagazine.unh.edu/sp02/photos/runningnuns.jpg

• Options

Moz - I think you need to plan for heat like last year. I'll have a think of what that could entail.

ET - just seen your thread about the Rother Valley 10K. What have you seen that suggests there will be fewer runners this year compared with last?

• Options
    Mozzy wrote (see)

Bex - be careful of that foot! Still - at least you have access to super strong painkillers!

image  I've been good, I have followed my own advice and not taken painkillers to be able to do stuff...  I've taken anti-inflammatories 2 nights when Ive had pain during the day to see if they help.

Fancy dress ideas.... (It's not that easy to think of things that won't be hideous to run in!)

I don't think st trinians is such a bad plan! Ballerinas (Tutu's!!), Angels/Fairies (use camelbacks to make lightweight wings?), Fame (Big 80's T- shirts & leg warmers?), cheerleaders, Grannies (although wigs would be really warm!), Superheroines (batgirl, catwoman, lara croft, lady zorro, wonderwoman, supergirl, she-ra), Flinstones OR what about a 1920's style flapper dress? I reckon you could get shorts & sports bra under, and a single feather headress type thingy wouldn't be too horrid to wear?

• Options
    BM Becky wrote (see)

Fancy dress ideas.... (It's not that easy to think of things that won't be hideous to run in!)

Full skiing gear with helmet and goggles image.

May be doing the RV 5k now as Mrs Didds is interested in doing it, but I'll be running with her.

• Options
    At the moment I'm favouring the nuns - though could be tempted by the 80's leg warmers. We could be Charlies Angels! Though there was only 3 of them and there's 4 of us. Bags being Charlie!
  • Options

Baz - entry limits. In 09 , they were much bigger.

Shoe-wise, I`m thinking of getting a trail shoe - ? Happy with my Triax for most stuff!

• Options
    the egyptian (mistle) toe wrote (see)

Shoe-wise, I`m thinking of getting a trail shoe - ? Happy with my Triax for most stuff!

A trail shoe ET?!... We'll make an off roader of you yet! image

Generally for off road support isn't as important as every footstep is different anyway, focus tends to be more on the amount of cushioning you do / don't have, grip and the profile of the shoe. Fell shoes will be lower profile, less cushioning, lots of grip and trail will have more cushioing but slightly less grip. I use iNov8 Flyrocs as a trail shoe and love them but they don't have as much cushioning as most trail shoes. I hear good things about the Adidas Kanadia, especially as you can get a pair for about £40 if you shop around, the Salomon Speed Cross 2 are meant to be very good as well. Think Santa brought Didzee a pair of those for Christmas so he can give you his verdict on them!

I'm no pro though so get yourself into a shop and talk to someone who knows their stuff! image

• Options

Flippin 'eck - you sound like a pro to me Stu!

I'll wear anything as long as it's not pink.

• Options
    Mozzy wrote (see)

I'll wear anything as long as it's not pink.

You've just agreed to wear absolutely anything, for the fancy dress relay imageimage
  • Options
    Cheers Stu! I`m half tempted to have a punt with those Adidas ones. I`ve seen them advertised cheap. Off again today so might try and get another run in. Hope the snow hasn`t got too slippery though.