Sheffield social

Comments

• Exactly! Shame though, given that it's only once a month and they are just trying to get it established. image
  • I'd forgotten all about the Park Run. Surely Stu, Et and Cake That will be there given you're all hardy winter runners.
  • image Is it this saturday? I'm in. image
  • If it's happening I'd be keen but I have my doubts...
  • Hi all

I'm back and settled at home after my op - everything went fine.

Got to the hosp at 9am and after showing my hernai (which due its type meant showing me crown jewels) to all and sundry - perhaps they just came to if the rumours were true image) i went into theatre at 10.30.  Next thing I knew it was 11.30 and i was in recovery and snoring my head off - at least i think i was, but i just couldn' wake myself up. i think the nurses probably woke me up to stop me, they probably could here themselves talk - fortunately i was the only patient!!! I then had a massive wee in one of those bottle things - which Moz, Becks and Sheils will appreciate is a good sign.

My BP was about 160/99 when i came round but had setteld to 140/80 when i left - not bad considering no BP meds for 3 days and they have just sliced me open.

Tea and toast and an episode of 60 minute Makeover later and i felt quite chipper.

Thanks for all the support guys - it has really helped.

I'll post some post op piccies later in the week imageimageimage

• Forgot to add that i look particularly fetching in my NHS jockstrap and Surgical Stockings.  All i need is a hospital gown (Moz, Becks or Sheils - ???) and i will have my outfit for Tunce 9 in September!!!
  • Woohoo, glad you're doing well, I though of you as I checked a discharge prescription for some pain killers for someone with same op this evening at RHH... for all I know it could have been yours!  If the purple scrawl in the bottle left corner of GP letter looks like RM you have my autograph!

So glad I don't work in A&E or trauma & orthopaedics today!!  I've heard all sorts of horror stories, but we got an official email saying that 42 people presented at A&E in a one hour period this morning and 41 had fractures!   Was quite impressed the staff that had made the effort to get in   image

Another swim for me tonight... foot's not feeling bad just pins & needles in toes and ball of foot and feeling like bone sticking out from ball of foot occasionally, but no pain.  Looking forward to the ice & snow melting so I can see if it's ok to run....

• Glad to hear it went well Dids, that's great! image

Although I must admit I think I've heard enough about your crown jewels and jockstrap thanks! imageimage

• Just seen this on tri thread....

Kerry Rough wrote (see)

Check out www.chestertri.org.uk  as we are hosting a new race aimed at those of you who like mountain biking!

Interesting race!

Short course: 2.5km run: 10km mtbike: 2.5km run
    Longer course: 5km run: 20km mtbike: 5km run

The runs are entirely "off-road" and the bike will use short pieces of country lanes to connect up the picturesque countryside of fields and forest tracks.

The shorter race is aimed at novices while the longer event is "open".
    1. Short course: £20
    2. Longer course: £25

I'm defo up for giving it a go, can offer transport if anyone else wants to give it a shot?

• Hmmm interesting Becks, interesting...
  • Brill that you survived Dids! Though I had no doubt that you would! image Now take you're recovery seriously and you'll be back with a bang! (or bangers and mash) ( I mean meat and two veg) image

Bex - the duathlon looks good - been comtemplating Clumber again today - Stu you got a MTB yet?

• Mozzy - do you have a mtb yet?
    Stanley fearns (Matlock) have Marin Bear Valley 15" for £449, or Trek 4500 16" for £399 in sale.

Is clumber off road run & road cycle?  If so that's the wrong way round for me!!  Also wouldn't have much time 4-5 weeks to get back to that distance running?

My hardtail could be borrowed.... It's a 17" mens frame so prob OK if you're over 5'7'' (unless you're like me and have a really short torso & in which case 5' 9'')

I need to sort out road bike!!

• No MTB for me yet Moz, was all set to buy one but just couldn't find the right one for me at the time and then after that I decided I needed to save me moula for Australia, still planning on getting one when I get back though!

The run length in the short race seems a bit too short but then I'm not sure about a 20K MTB ride given it's all new to me. Do you reckon the bike ride would be quite technical Bex or would it be more of a cross country type affair?

• image P glad the hear your cool. did you have to lay still and have a shave? image

That tri looks good but don't have a a Mountain bike and will be at Liverpool half that weekend so can't play. I met plum tonight and got swimming pointer's from the master. Mentioned to Haile about sunday and we would like to play but needs to know what time as well. He's meeting someone in the peaks at about 1 in the afternoon.

• Bex - I've applied for a tesco credit card as they've got 12 months 0% credit so I'm just waiting for that to arrive - ta for the tips - I'll take a look! My very nice friend (sold Cake his bike) (if no-one knows who my very nice friend is) (though they're all nice - if slightly mad) gets a discount on Wiggle so I'll look on there too.

Bloody got a flat 20 mins into my turbo session last night image and school have texted to say not opening until 10 which cuts an hour out of my very busy curry shopping/making/training day/kids for tea/pantomime rehearsals/flat pack erecting day.

Re Sunday run - I would still like to set off as early as poss, but may not be suitable for others - shall we decide tomorrow night or Cake - do you need to know before? In which case take a punt at a time and we can all shout 'get stuffed WWWAAAYYY too late'

Dids - how were you overnight?

• OMG - the marin bear valley is PINK!!!!! image I simply CAN'T ride that!!!!!
  • Bex - Jon reckons this is worth a punt - what do you think? (Being a bird I am more inclined to take your advice).
  • Looks like a decent buy, Hydraulic brakes, SRAM kit, ladies geometry, depends if you can get to ride it? I REALLY don't recommend buying a bike without riding it.... so if you're going to go for wiggle try to find a real shop to try it out at first!
    Handle bars in pick look like riser bars, but could just be they've ut em on wrong.... this is not unheard of in halfrauds sales pics.  Other thing is build quality is variable depends on individuals in shop, some people have had probs, but then again you have a friend thats done a maintenance course so prob not the biggest issue!
    May be worth looking at langset cycles too...

• Morning all

Becks - doesn't look like an BM more like a GH something - which could still be a BM as its a perscription signature.

Generally fine this morning - slept from 11 to 5 without interruption so was pleased with that and had a good dose of my tablets this morning.  Just waiting for the cricket to start.

Cake - with cutbacks you have to shave yourself these days.

Looks like some warmer weather and rain between Friday and Sunday, so some thaing possible and that means lots of slippy, wet mud - ur cars are going to be well muddy after the run Moz.

• Morning all - glad all went well, and you sound chipper today, Didz! image The Trunce crowd'll be in for an interesting experience come September though. imageimageimage

I'm working from home today because I really CBA to negotiate any potential ice after yesterday's fiasco - unfortunately this plan is slightly scuppered by me having to pick up my graduation gown later today, but I shall get the bus there and back like the fat lazy arse I'm feeling right now.

I had a dream last night that it had all thawed and I was walking on green grass.

*sighs wistfully*

• Lady Pineapple wrote (see)

I had a dream last night that it had all thawed and I was walking on green grass.

What's green grass?  I've heard of it, but don't remember the last time I saw some.

Re Trunce - anybody running behind me will certainly get an unexpected sight!!!!!! Not that there are many who do.

• I'll be coming up  the rear for that one Dids!

No no no no no!!! To a muddy car - you can all sodding well take your shoes off before you get in! To be fair though with 2 kids/sledges/bikes/crisps and fizzy drinks it can't really get much worse.

Cheers for the top advice Bex! 

• Mozzy - was thinking the train might be an option on Sunday? That way we can get the train out to Hope and back from Hope or vice versa, otherwise we'd have to somehow get back to the cars once we've finished?
  • PJAZ wrote (see)

Just waiting for the cricket to start.

Have you seen it Didzee?! imageimageimage
  • Nice one Didds. Rest up and please no pictures.

What is the chance of road shoes being suitable for this run planned on Sunday? No money to buy anything else.

• Stuart H wrote (see)
    PJAZ wrote (see)

Just waiting for the cricket to start.

Have you seen it Didzee?! imageimageimage

I hadn't. Now I have image Surely it was our turn for the England style batting collapse though. Colly to bat for five days straight and bring in the draw?

• Selectors have been a bunch of dumb asses and dropped Onions, after his performances in the 1st and 3rd tests don't they realise that he is now one of our best batters! The tail end is England's new opening partnership! image
  • Yes, I have been watching the cricket - why do you think I'm back on here!!!!

ET - (plus Baz and Stu for info) - my number for the BM has arrived this morning.  You'll have to let me know if you still want it.

I would have though the Sunday run started/finished in the same place (i.e. Hope or Casleton) or have I missed something?  castletons a good place cos you have more cafe's/pubs to choose from for a post run drink and you can just follow the river path to get between Hope and castelton as either a warm up or down).

• Didds have you got your chip along with you number? Does it mention about having to register/pick something up on the morning of the race?
  • PJAZ wrote (see)

I would have though the Sunday run started/finished in the same place (i.e. Hope or Casleton) or have I missed something?  castletons a good place cos you have more cafe's/pubs to choose from for a post run drink and you can just follow the river path to get between Hope and castelton as either a warm up or down).

Quite possibly, not quite sure what route Mozzy was thinking of I'd just imagined starting at one finishing at the other e.g. start in Hope, up Lose Hill, along ridge to Mam Tor, down to Castleton. Either way I like the idea of post run food / drink. image