Sheffield social

Comments

• I was just reading Hailes description of his run - very poetic I thought. Then he lowered the tone by mentioning Sheilas lycra clad arse. Now that's the Haile we all know and love!

Deary me Dids. Poor Mrs Dids too. My dad gave up the dreaded weed when I was 10 - but the cancer still decked him when I was 18 (he was 59).

Bex - yup should be ok for bike ride on the 1st - McShtew will be up for  that too. Unless you've had enough of each other after a weeks skiing! I'll have to fit a run in before though - but you young uns won't notice as you'll only have just dragged yourselves out of bed by mid morning anyway.

• Morning all! image

image for Sheila's daughter

And general hello to all! image

Some great running/training going on recently! image

...but not from me image, as I've spent most of the weekend sneezing, expectorating, coughing up horrible gunk and feeling generally sorry for myself.image

Really sorry to hear about your FiL, Didds. image

My dad has recently been diagnosed with COPD - the result of nearly 30 years of smoking starting from the age of nine, even though it's around 25 years since he gave up.  But in his case they caught it really early because he's a runner (he took up running around the same time he quit the cigs) and hyper-aware of any subtle changes in fitness, breathing etc.  He fully acknowledges that while he has limitations that he now has to manage, he's been very lucky as it was caught so early.

Must be really scary for you, Mrs Didds and the family. (((lots of hugs))) to all, and fingers crossed he can come home soon.

• I'm at work today and I need someobody to talk to (Sheila's busy with the new matron) (as opposed to Haile).

Where is everyone?

• I'm here. Just booked spinning for tomorrow night. Wonder if Gym Girl #2 will be there?
  • Barry knaggs, gym stalker of the year 2010/2011.

Only kidding tight top image

Easy 12miles this morning in 1hr 32min. Going to do track speed session with windy millar 4 tomorrow from half four at woodburn rd if anyone fancies it?
  • runningowl wrote (see)
    Barry knaggs, gym stalker of the year 2010/2011. Only kidding tight top image

The tightness doesn't do me any favours at the moment image

I'm so fat I could support Newcastle.

• Buenos dias todos! Que tal?. En mi opinion es una dia fantastica pero es no vacacionnes hoy! Mierde!!!
  • Ooh me Gaz! But just txtd me mate for a run tomorrow and the new me isn't running on consecutive days image.

Maybe gym girl #2 likes cuddly men. I do. They're much nicer than boney ones like Jon. At least when you roll over you don't risk a black eye.

• ET - what the fecks that avatar? Rear end of a squirrel? Cadburys cream egg?
  • Morning! (well - afternon now I guess). I like cuddlier men too - I refuse to entertain even the idea of a man with a smaller waist than mine. I like to be able to borrow a jumper, not stretch it.

Congrats on the running Moz image Take it easy...

And sorry to hear about Fil, Didds. My dad is a lifelong smoker, I'm just waiting for it to catch up with him image he's already got a touch of COPD. Sigh. Idiot smokers. Anyway - hope he's feeling loads better soon. 

Rest day for me today - might spend 20 mins later just doing a little bit of core work or something. x

• It is a cadburys cream egg! Strange that - itlooks liek one too.

Aye - Len  - Jon borrowed my cycling shorts the other day (I'm an 8 bottom, 10 top) and they fit him image

• Afternoon all,

chilling with my eldest while little 'un has a snooze (2 under 3.5yrs - just - is quite tiring when you're training for a marathon!!)

Have decided to eat more sensibly, haven't lost any weight since starting to run last year due to the trap of thinking I can eat anything!!! image   Gotta help the old knees on the LSDs if I have less weight to carry!

Nice one Moz - if it's any consolation you'll easily beat me!!!

((hugs)) to Didds and anyone else having a rubbish time of it.

I did another 15miler on Saturday - felt much better this week! Did 2 loops from here to Dronfield, with a bit of faffing around Norton to make up mileage.  Felt absolutely knackered yesterday tho and fell asleep when toddler #1 was watching telly... 

Quick question:  following a marathon training plan for beginners but I'm ahead of the game so decided to take my time building up the mileage, e.g 2 weeks at 15miles before moving the mileage up a bit but I was wondering if I need to be having a few weeks in between with a shorter LSD to recover.  If I do that will make increasing the mileage harder?  Reluctant to mess with my plan but also worried about overdoing it....!  Answers gratefully recieved image 

• Ooh Len - you need to do the park run with Bex this weekend so that you can go on my leader board! 50 odd SP's and only 14 of them have run it - we need to support it better than that! You'll have to fight Hazal and Bex to be bottom of the table though - only us lot could vew that as more prestigious than being at the top!
  • RunningLinds wrote (see)
    Quick question:  following a marathon training plan for beginners but I'm ahead of the game so decided to take my time building up the mileage, e.g 2 weeks at 15miles before moving the mileage up a bit but I was wondering if I need to be having a few weeks in between with a shorter LSD to recover.  If I do that will make increasing the mileage harder?  Reluctant to mess with my plan but also worried about overdoing it....!  Answers gratefully recieved image 

Most plans I've seen seem to work on a 3:1 ratio of work/recovery weeks. The recovery weeks would normally see you drop back to 10-12 once you're at the biggest mileage.

• I really need to start going along to parkrun too - was fully intending to Saturday just gone, but was too ill.

This Saturday, methinks...

• Nooo Moz, Parkrun looks like my idea of public humiliation!!! I don't want to be the one person stopping for a walk!! Maybe in a few months. Possibly. image

Anyway - Saturday mornings are my long runs (ha ha ha - okay, run/walk/time on feet) and you wouldn't want to mess with my training now, would you? image

• Len they're a bit more inclusive than you may think. It's not all club runners who need a good feed.
  • Len, to comment on your excuses you could either
    1. You won't be only one run/walking at parkrun
    2. Use parkrun as part of long run. Either run around endcliffe park some more or go cross road into whitely woods.

I will be there Saturday. I am sure after gym girl 2s restraining order comes thru so will baz. image
  • Feel the Burn wrote (see)
    Len they're a bit more inclusive than you may think. It's not all club runners who need a good feed.

Ha! Top description - that's exactly what I'd imagined! And you lot braggig about going round in 6 minutes or something ridiculous - would be a half hour stagger for me at the moment!

Maybe one day..I'm not sure I *do* running in public ...

• Len stop being such a puff. LP's gonna do it now too - you Bex and LP - that's 3 more for my leader board image. Actulayy 4 - coz if Bex's is doing it Nic will. RL?

Sadly I can't make it coz me Mozster has x country. May try and make itthe week after though.

RL - unless you're an experienced runner with a good sense of your limitations, I wouldn't do much more than what's indicated on your schedule. I know that because I've fallen in to the trap so many times myself! It's easy to feel good and decide you can do more - but you really do need to think of recovery weeks as an essential part of your marathon training. Is this your first mara? If so - follow the schedule - keep staying injury free at the forefront of your mind, do as well as you can on the  day and most of all enjoy the race. You'll learn a lot about your ability/body/limitations from the entire experience - if you have more to give - up the game for your next mara.

• runningowl wrote (see)
    I will be there Saturday. I am sure after gym girl 2s restraining order comes thru so will baz. image
    Nowt to do with the restraining order. I will be there as I'm well on the way (sort of) to getting my 50 t-shirt.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Sorry I've not been on for a while. Various reasons I guess, but I'll spare you the details. Happy New Year too - not posted on here in 2011 yet I don't think!

As alluded to I'm back running a bit but my fitness is awful (as expected). Like Aitch I'm also suffering from bad insomnia, and last night I formulated a plan re my Spring Marathon. Am pondering running London purely as a training run with a view to entering Edinburgh as my A race. From today that then gives me 6 weeks of Base to build sensibly, before embarking on a 12 week programme. Seems to make a lot of sense that, and I reckon I can get back to tip-top Mara shape for Edinburgh.

London is too close to have a proper go really, but a 26 mile training run could well work. Plus I get to check out how it all works, the logistics, transport, the expo etc ready for next year. So just go and enjoy London, and then hope there's not a heat wave at Edinburgh again seems to be a plan. Will mull it over and see I think.

• Mozzy wrote (see)

Len stop being such a puff. LP's gonna do it now too - you Bex and LP - that's 3 more for my leader board image.

You just want your leaderboard to look pretty! image

I'll think about it...
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Oh aye. There's a Park Run starting in Barnsley this week (at Locke Park). That's about 1.5 miles from where I live. I did the 'test' one this week where they test the kit works, have a trail run etc. Nice course but NOT flat.

I did it in 23'58 too - what an athlete image
  • Feel the Burn wrote (see)
    runningowl wrote (see)
    Nowt to do with the restraining order. I will be there as I'm well on the way (sort of) to getting my 50 t-shirt.

Thats why i want to get back into doing them.

Anyone volunteered to become a Parkrun Race Director?

• LS21 wrote (see)
    Oh aye. There's a Park Run starting in Barnsley this week (at Locke Park). That's about 1.5 miles from where I live. I did the 'test' one this week where they test the kit works, have a trail run etc. Nice course but NOT flat. I did it in 23'58 too - what an athlete image

How easy to get to from Barnsley train station is that park? To my untrained eye it looks pretty close but knowing me there'll be two Locke Parks in Barnsley.

PJAZ wrote (see)
    Anyone volunteered to become a Parkrun Race Director?

I thought about it but haven't yet.

• Glad to see you back lee. Good plan with London. My marathon training is gping ok and may change from sub 3:15:00 to a close to 3hr as possible. Final decision will depend on time in SIGSHM.

While Barnsley parkrun might be closer to me i will stick to hallam parkrun cos its easier to get to. Will try to do one of the inbred ones one weekend.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Baz, it's about 2 miles at a guess. Quite easy really. If you fancy it let me know and I'll give you more info. The route ISN'T flat at all though - quite a tough course. 3 lapper too. Good training run though
  • Len (prev. YL) wrote (see)
    Mozzy wrote (see)

Len stop being such a puff. LP's gonna do it now too - you Bex and LP - that's 3 more for my leader board image.

You just want your leaderboard to look pretty! image

I'll think about it...

That's me girl. My aim is to get every SP on there! Got a fair way to go mind.

Can't unfortunatley volunteer to be a race director due to me Mozsters having various activities on Saturday mornings.

How do Lee. Good to see you back dude. Sounds like a plan to me - but depends on your recovery after London I guess - having said that, in 2009 McStu ran both and PB'd in Edinburgh! Course is dull as shit though.

• Hello Lee image

The trouble with the parkrun is that it's bliddy miles away from me, too! image. Would be like driving to work ona Saturday. Shudder. Yeah... maybe.