Total, absolute beginner seeking encouragement

Well, Hello everyone. I started running about 5 or 6 weeks ago after (stupidly?) telling someone I'd do the Race for Life with her. I've been following the programme in "Running Made Easy" - don't know how recommended that book is - because it looked slower and easier than some other I have seen. I'm currently doing 2 mins running/2 mins walking for about half an hour. I know I'm getting fitter - 1 minute was enough to have me thinking I was dying a few weeks ago, but 2 mins is fairly comfortable now and I can run for 5 minutes if I go slow on a treadmill.

Anyway, I have stupidly entered for a 10k in September, which I am regretting as I can't see myself being able to do it before everyone gives me up for dead and goes home! I entered because I have found having a goal to work towards is the only thing which will motivate me to get up off my backside and go and do something about getting fitter/losing weight.

I have 2 young children and was a real couch potato until 6 weeks ago. By the way, do I need one of those Nike+ things (I already have an ipod), will it help motivate and encourage me? And what is a good next stage book?

Many Thanks,

Comments

• Kate - Well done on starting your running program. Setting a goal has given you a real target to aim at and you are progressing which is great.

Setting another goal of the 10k isn't daft and definately not stupid.

Just keep building up slowly and avoid the temptation to increase your training load too quickly.

Books and stuff are nice and there is loads on this site to read through but you are doing fine already.

• well done for entering a 10k the book you have used is one i have used before and i have many books and find this one really good. keep up the good work
  • Well done for taking the plunge, we've all been at your stage, so well done for that.

Goals are good, if it's just beating a time, distance, or training for a race, so your doing the right thing, September is a long way away, so you have plenty of time to train for it, don't worry about coming last, I was worried to about that with my first 10K, but in reality, you won't be last.

As for schedules, there are tons, the ones here are good, and alot of people swear by the BUPA 5K & 10K schedules too, so you don't need a book.

As for the NIKE+, its not neccesary, I brought myself a Garmin Forerunner 405, and I find that having all my runs logged, with HR, pace and elevation a great motivator and it's very nice to see clear concise improvements on screen easily, but it's down to you if you feel you would benifit from something like NIKE+.

Good luck with the training, try and get outside and off the treadmill is possible, treadmill running bores me almost to tears, and most of all, enjoy it image

• Hi Kate

Welcome to the wonderful and crazy world of running. image

I did my Race for Life on 7th May, have you done yours yet?  Who is your 10K organised by?

You don't need anymore books, if you have a question you can just ask it on here! 

I started with 30seconds running 2 mins walking.  Now I can run for 8/10mins at a timeimage

I bought an iPod for running but I only ever use it in the gym now.  It's not a good idea to run with one in the evenings when running alone, especially in the winter.  Also some races don't allow you to use them.  Nike + will only be good if those trainers are the right ones for you.  The best thing is to get your gait analysed.  Once you have the proper trainers it will make running much easier and help prevent injuries.  I was hoping that running would be really cheap, and I guess relative to other sports it is, but you have to get the right trainers for you and a good sports bra.  For bras I recommend Shock Absorbers.

Hope I haven't babbled too much.

Paula

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Jog Scotland have some good programmes for beginners that will take you up slowly (& if you're in Scotland there are lots of friendly clubs. Follow this link for programmes:

http://www.jogscotland.org.uk/training-programmes/the-programmes

• Well done for starting, you are DEFINITELY NO STUPID!  (Well if you are then that makes me and everyone on this site stupid too!)

I did the same as you and entered a race for life, mine is on 15th june. At the time of entering i could not even run 30 secs without oxygen image but after 3 months i can now run for 7k without stopping. You just need to remember to run S........L...........O..................W.............L.............y to start with and build up your distance gradually.

I don't think you particularly need gadgets however i was swayed and bought a garmin 305 which is fantastic elastic and gives pace, time, distance, heartrate...............

As Paula says, you can ask all your questions on here, you will very quickly become hooked image

As for your 10k, if you have to walk some of the way so be it, at least you are trying and no-one can knock you for that. Mind you if you live in Essex and your 10k is anything that i'm considering entering then i'll race you for last spot!

• DEFINITELY NOT STUPID either! Guess that makes me one haha
  • hi Kate, really well done for starting, i've done the same recently ( although for me kind of back to running after a long break). The advice on here is great and really motivates you. I've also got a garmin 305 ( bit of a gadget fan sadly ) but its great, really helps me see how i'm doing especially when it is hard going in the early stages. Just keep going, don't give up, if things aren't  going well at any time come on here, everyone will support you and keep you there. best of luck
  • Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone. danowat, I am doing most of my running outside - I just go to the gym about once a week do do something different, although I'm sure I'll be doing more running on a treadmill come the winter time. I live in Swansea where there is a very long (5k+) seafront path so I often run along there.

I found yesterdays run really hard going (don't know if it was because it was hot?) and when I woke up this morning I felt rubbish with really aching legs, so I've given it a miss for today (for the first time in 5 weeks, so not too bad). I am a bit of a gadget freak, but thought spending £20 on a Nike+ (with shoe holder thingy so I don't have to have Nike+ shoes) would be a bit easier on the old bank account than spending £140 on a Garmin. I did go down to up and Running in Swansea for a browse today, but when it came to it I was too chicken to go in in case they laughed at me for not knowing what I'm doing - how sad is that? My Race for Life is on 22nd June and the 10k on 23rd September - not sure who organises it - it is an Admiral one if that means anything?

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome.

• I can definitely say Im in your league on the running front, I only started about 3 weeks ago and am about the same level as you maybe a bit less

I got me a garmin gadget too - motivational purposes only!image

Im thinking of signing up for a 10k too, Im doing the R4L at the end of this month (Ardingly reservoir if anyone else is doing it shout - I could do with a training buddy)

Might sign up for the Brighton 10k as Ive been told its fairly flat - think its about October ish 

• Hi Kate - Well done and keep on going.  I started attempting the running mylarky beginning of January but kept wimping out cause my shins were killing me.  Finally decided to get my trainers sorted out beginning of April and I have come on leaps and bounds.  One of my main goals when I joined a gym end of 2006 was fat loss and I came on well and then hit a fat loss brick wall around christmas 2007.  The running has really helped.  Beginning of April when I started running properly my body fat was 34.8 % and now on Saturday I measured it again and its 28.2 %  so in about 6 weeks I'm really chuffed with that result.  Am on week 2 now of the runners world 10km programme and I'm doing my second 5km on Sunday.  I did a R4L about three weeks ago and got around in 33:48.  Was a bit of a plonker yesterday and didn't read my plan properly so wondered why I gave up after 1.5 miles feeling absolutely knackered.  So today I decided to do some weights and cross train.  Anybody tried those Nautilius thingies ?  It claims that its 2x the effort of running.  I'm not sure, didn't feel as puffed out but in 30mins  I burnt 401 calories where as 30mins of running I would burn about half of that ??? Not as brave as you Kate entering a 10km in September.  I'm aiming for October, but I'm sure if you keep up your consistancy you'll crack it.  Tell you what you get a heck of a buzz when you do your first race image
  • Well thats done it, you guys have given me the encouragement I (didnt really) need...

Ive just signed up for the Brighton 10k in October

Eeeek  Just need to start the training properly now 

Oh well, if you can have a Garmin gadget, I'm sure I can have a Nike+ one......can't I? Can we lament at how crap we're going to be in the 10ks together?

Joanne, what are these nautilius thingies of which you speak? My body fat hasn't gone down like yours, but I've lost 3kg and my spare trye is a little smaller, so there's hope for me yet!

• Hi Kate! I'm in the same boat as you - not long started running and I'm slowly working up my fitness levels. Its great you've got something to aim for. I had the race for life to aim for when I started but I ran that yesterday and now I'm worrying that I'll lose my motivation. Guess that means I'll have to enter myself for something else as well!

Good luck with your race for life. Is it your first one or have you run them pervious years? The atmosphere is great and its a real mixture of women taking part.

• Its something that the JJB gyms have.  Its like a tread mill but instead of one platform its like two skis, the belts move constantly and they also go up and down constantely albeit one is indpendant of the other one.  Your supposed to go no faster than a walk and its supposed to be less pressure on your muscles, bones etc but twice the workout of the run.  Don't really know what effect it will have cause I can usually never get on it cause its so popular but as I'm off work this week I've managed to go off peak and try it.  Thought Id try it today for a bit of cross traning cause I was a bit of a wally yesterday and didn't read my 10km plan properly so ended up copping out after a mile and a half cause I went off way way too fast.
  • Hi Kate

I started running last Wednesday. I went to a local club meet and ran 3200m on a track, in about 30 minutes, so I am not breaking any records, but at least I kept moving!! Now I need to work on to improving that distance, as I have entered the Swansea 10k too.

The course looks really flat, I have walked it in the past but I think raceday might be a bit different!

Good luck, maybe I will see you there?

Helen

It would be nice to see a friendly face there! Which club did you join? and did you RUN the whole of that 3200m? If you did, you are wey ahead of me as I can only run for 2 minutes so far!
  • Hiya Kate

I started running in march and couldn't make it to the end of the street, I used the same book as you and it's been like a bible to me, I love it.

I did what you have and entered myself for a race too, I'm doing the Leicester Half Marathon in October and like yourself had a major panick after I'd done it.  That's when I discovered Runners World and I've had some fabulous support from lots of lovely people and training advice to boot.

I managed a 5½ mile run last night without any walk breaks in 45 minutes, thats a PB for me and I'm feeling really confident for the first time since I started running.

I'm running every other day for about 30-40 minutes with one longer distance run per week and it seems to be working so we'll see how we do in our respective races.

Keep up the good work, you'll be twice as good as your are already in another 5 weeks, you wait and see.

Take care

Susi

• totatolatotatola ✭✭✭

Hi Susi,

I'm thinking of entering the Leicester HM too - is it open for entries now then? I started running in February and my longest run so far has been 6.5 miles in about 69minutes so you're way faster than me!

Keep running everyone! I started with a run 1 minute/walk 1 minute schedule too and now I can run for over an hour and I'm absolutely loving it! Doing race for life on Sunday and hoping to complete the 5k in under 30min and I'll be soooooo happy if I do! Thinking of entering a 10k race over the summer sometime too - I'm well and truly addicted!

Anna

ps I have a Garmin 305 and if you can afford the £130 pricetag I think it's a great gadget! I'm rubbish at pacing myself outside without it and the heartrate monitor helps me to make sure that I'm not training too hard. I've also got Nike+ which I think is a more "fun" gadget. The challenges online are such a huge motivator and if you already have an Ipod Nano then it's well worth the extra £20. It's not as accurate at measuring distance/pace as the Garmin and it doesn't have the heart rate monitor, but if you're not keen on splashing out so much money before you know how you feel about this running malarkey and you have the Nano already then it's worth a shot!

Sorry for the essay!

• Hi Kate

I am joining the Bracknell Forest Runners, as I live in Berkshire. My husband is from Swansea so we visit regularly, and the race just fitted in, time wise and what really made us enter it was the fact that it was FLAT!

I did run 3200 metres last week (4000 metres this week!), all the way without stopping. I went really S...L...O..W...L...Y though. 4000 metres/2.5 miles took 38 minutes last night, so not very fast, but I guess that is something I can work on when I have improved my stamina.

How are you doing this week?

Helen

• Totatola

Nice to hear someone else doing the Leicester Half, I applied through Runners World and have had confirmation that I am entered so look through the races and get your name down.  I've been out running tonight only for 40 minutes but included some hills and it was really hard going.  I had such a great run on tuesday night and tonight it was hard again......it amazes me how you can have a good run then a horrible one, I just hope on the day of the race it turns out to be a good run or I've had it image.

I have been thinking about entering a shorter race before then too, which one are you doing or don't you know yet?

Susi

• totatolatotatola ✭✭✭

Susi

I'm living in Leicester at the moment so I suppose I have no excuse not to put my name down for the half! I know what you mean about the evil runs, but I've had a good couple of weeks of running recently - long may it continue! Apparently you've got to have a bad run every now and then to make sure you appreciate the good ones so I'm sure it will pick up for you again!

I ran the Plymouth Race for Life yesterday with a friend - just took it nice and easy, didn't worry about my time, and it was sooooo much fun!! Haven't chosen any other shorter races just yet. My friend has suggested that we do the Plymouth 10k for Cancer Research in October but it's only 2 weeks before the Leicester half and I'd really like to fit in one or two before then - have you seen any you like the look of?

How's everyone else getting on?

Anna

• Hi Anna

I haven't really looked for anything else yet, it's been a big enough jump to sign up for a race at all as I have nobody to train with or run with and I'm the sort of person who needs support.  I am enjoying my running though and have had a couple of good runs since my last tough one so I know what you mean about needing the odd bad one to appreciate the good ones.  I was supposed to run tonight but I thought it best to sit it out tonight in all this heat..........my god it's hot!

I found what I thought was a shorter route the other day for my inbetween runs when I'm not aiming for a long distance, or so I thought, it's still 4½ miles so I was quite impressed with myself and I'm managing to do it in 40 minutes without pushing myself.

How long was your race for life?

Susi image

• totatolatotatola ✭✭✭

Race for Life was 5k. I was running it with a few friends so got to take it easy and run at their pace - finished in a nice leisurely 31 minutes! Was such beautiful route around Plymouth - can't believe how much I actually enjoyed the run just because I took it easy rather than actually trying to race it!

I sacked off yesterday evening's run too - sat in a beer garden instead! Well, I suppose I should've been taking it easy after the R4L anyway!! I'm the same as you, 9 times out of 10 I have to run on my own, so it's all too easy to ditch a run and join people in the pub instead!!