Weds 4th June 2008

behold I give you..

What: Another easy 5 miler, then phys at 12 the maybe same again

Why: Getting things moving

Last hard: long time ago!

Have a great day.image (still smiling)

Comments

• Good on you Trini - very pleased for you.

What: 6 miles flat with mates. Good to get out there. Lots of talking going on. One of them is doing New York this year so is very excited about that.

Good running everyone.

• Fantastic Trini and NZC. NZC, hope your family is all over the worst of it now.

I just saw my first firefly of the summer! But we are having monsoon type rain tonight, and a wonderful thunderstorm, so it has probably drowned by now.

What: swim? Desperate to run and starting to feel as though it may be possible - I feel all springy all of a sudden! But will be sensible and wait get the go-ahead from the doc. Also getting IM tattoo updated to include the Florida one.
    Why: restricted training and I'm a sucker for tattoos.

Good runnings all.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Trini - NICE

Yesterdays lyrics were Hipsway Ask the Lord

Todays ???

What: 3 easy AM
    Yateley 10km PM
    Why: more taper
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: 24th May

I'm sure Trini just started this to save everyone from my lyrics :¬)
  • Morning All

Trini: Great stuff and thanks for saving me from Gobi's lyrics, not taht I know yours!

More tales from the crazy country. Some sheikh who had never heard of fell from the sky in his helicopter yesterday. Instant dirge music on radio and announcement that all government offices and schools shut for three days of mourning. Instant panic amongst all working parents as private sector not closed down. Then at about 2200 announcement that whilst still mourning, schools and government office would be open as normal. Cue radio stations who switch back to normal fare. After 10 years of living here, these guys never cease to amaze me.

what: 7 miles at lunchtime, 4 tonight
    Why: Spent an hour on turbo last night and got bored, as Gobi said we like RUNNING!
    Last Hard: Monday
    Last rest: yesterday

Have a good one

• SivSiv ✭✭✭

Morning. And no mourning in Dubai - good news.

Trini
    Great that you can run again.

20mins
    Good luck in your 5k today.

IronMel
    Enjoy the tattoo. Don't think I would...

I have a free morning so can make up for the pathetic 2.5k I squeezed in before a day of mostly driving yesterday.
    Later folks. 

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

Great news Trini.

And good to hear you're feeling springy IM.

What: 7 miles or maybe more later
    Why: getting back into it and working at home today

• SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Morning

Trini - Sounds good.

Melissa - Don't run, you will delay recovery.

What: 8.75 miles
    Why: Taper
    Last hard: More than a week
    Lyrics: NO.

I have some painting to do tonight, I know Gobi will appreciate a freshly painted cage when he arrives on Saturday. I am off to Google 'buy muzzles online'

• Had a great run last night - just a short 5 miles, but a really hard effort did the first 3 miles at 5k race pace (hovering around 95%MHR) then caught my breath a moment for a couple of club mates to catch up then did the remaining 2 mile at 10k pace

So a really good speed /LT session for me - as most my training is for distance

What : Hopefully a long swim
    Why : im jetting off on holiday today so all i have time for
    Last hard : Last night 

Lyrics : if its what i think, its pretty obscure

• morning
    alien ant farm crashed my computer
    and no idea on today's either, sorry

good news there trini. hope you find that chip sharpish

some interesting cross training going on chez imski and FIN
    go easy boys

good consistent 800's pammie
    you may need to start getting HR to 90% ish (or more eek!) for 5k pace, have fun!

20 mins - may not be 20 tonight it sounds like it could be a bit frustrating. you never know though, maybe get a better starting position than you anticipate

TR - take care with PF, pesky thing that can take hold if you don't wallop it

FL - recovering pretty well from edinburgh bar the sniffles

pedantics discussion way over my head - any clues??

we did sensiblish reps last night ahead of tomorrow's race which most people are doing. this meant 2 miles or so warm up in the woods,  6 X 200m fast ( others did 8 but i missed first two whilst in a bush preparing) then 6 X a shortish ziggyzaggy hill but with a horrible sting in the tail and jog back down. then warm down. easy day today -

what - easy recovery
    why - hard session last night and race tomorrow
    last hard - 1 day
    last rest - 2 days

• Where's xerces? He should know all about xml.
    (geek reference: don't worry normal people; it's healthy if this goes right over your head.)

What: club run tonight
    Why: get a run in
    Last hard: getting stuck on the motorway on way to friends house yesterday and not quite finishing the job. grrr!
    Last rest: yesterday

Feel really shattered, glad I sensibly declined to run the NDR route tonight with some stronger runners than me.

• Morning

Trinni - yay! 

NZC - you not going back to NY too?

IM - look on it as a good chance to get your swim stroke perfect (except for pushing off the walls and pointing your toes of course!)

• What: 1 hour bike this morning (blue skies), will plod tonight
    • Why: Avoiding Bala

Is today 20 minutes' 19 day?

Still can't believe what flyaway called me yesterday! "plain"?!

• Hiya,

Nicer weather today. Although yesterday evening was quite pleasant, if a little windy.

Melissa: No running yet. Hang in there. How is the tattoo being updated - do you have the flags??

Scoobs: Rise above it, she was clearly desperate and pathetic!

Good luck with the race, clink!

Ditto 20mins - have you thought about your new name?

Okay, since no-one else has volenteered, XML is "Extensible Mark-up Language". A markup language uses annotations that describe what the text is, or what it should be doing - the description encases the appropriate wording. So, for example, you might have:

<shout>I am not a number, I am a free man!</shout>

HTML - the common web language - is also a markup language (Hyper Text Markup Language).

So, I was warning that the following comment was pendancy. SGQ quite rightly corrected my dumb use of [ ] brackets instead of the correct < > brackets to encase the direction. Hollywood then pointed out that the annotation cannot include spaces, so you would have to have:

<drippingsarcasm>Hollywood, plain? Never?!</drippingsarcasm>

Hope thats clear. Sorry for those who werent interested in the first place!

What: 1hr run
    Why: IMF - 18 days to go
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: cant remember

• Will, aren't you coming to Nice?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

mornin all

had a lovely run cross country inthe drizzle last night, nicely undulating and I felt pretty good!

dd, glad there is no mourning

im yeah dont run, you wont I am sure but nice to feel spingy eh?

what: well the bike is here so weather permitting I will cycle 20-21 miles home later, possibly followed by a 300 m swim, bish bash bosh

why: tri training, oh and 40 bike ride on sunday

last hard: last night avoiding puddles

last easy: monday

My 3rd TMA has been sent and still I have not had the 2nd marked, its really bad!!!

take care all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Trinni - good news
    Lyric -nope
    Geek Speak - err no!

Last night at the club, just (!) 3 x 1200m 'as fast as you can, thats why we're only doing 3' with 2min recovery. Not sure the times, but think they were 4.15, 4.11 and 4.14 - according to our token garmin/timer guy...
    today 4.75 miles bit quicker than I'd like along the Thames - all I had time for... 

• mavamava ✭✭✭

afternoon.

Ended up doing 8.1 miles in Knole Park.  Phew that was hard.  Shocking how much fitness I've lost.  Of course it's warmer than it was so that doesn't help.  I'm really dreading the North Downs Run on 15th.  It's possible I'll DNS or DNF that (there's a sweep and a cut off which is enforced at 4 stages round the route).

Back to work.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

Yet another unfulfilled session this morning. Plan was for 8x600, but I knew the moment I stepped out of the door that it was never going to happen. Even at warm up pace I felt totally wasted. Ended up with an easy 5 miles plus 8x100 strides to turn the legs over. I've only managed one half decent session in the past week - possibly still struggling with the effects of last weeks cold. On the positive side, I'm just coming up to eleven weeks of injury free running.

Fortunately I'm still in the phase where any running of any kind will make you fitter (per my contribution to last weeks rocket science debate), but I now need to think about whether I need to tailor my training to meet specific racing goals. The answer is that I do and I'm faced with the ongoing problem of adapting to the rigors of speed training (god! I hate speedwork). It's ironic really - I'm quite happy running 10-12 miles at 85-90% MHR, but the prospect of a handful of reps at 90-95% fills me with dread. The obvious answer of course is to run the initial sessions slowly until I adapt to them and then allow my natural competitiveness to take over.

I think that's enough meanderings for one lunchtime...

Have a goodly (are you still out there Soda?) day all.
  • Hi folks,

What: 85min med-hard turbo
    Why: act of worship to the god of hard house
    Last hard: sun
    Last rest: 2 May

Anyone feed the birds in their garden? I came home last night and thought they had eaten the seeds pretty quickly but then I saw the greedy little bugger - the first grey squirrel I've seen in our garden. Previous experience suggests a long battle of wits in which I seem to be outgunned!

Trini - very good news!

SGQ - you couldn't be getting dehydrated could you?

Melissa - you'll be missed at Bala. The bike route now goes out over the hill and back again. I can't quite picture the turn around point. I think it's going to be about 52-53miles. Last year I did 4:57 - even with some minutes off the swim it'll be hard to offset the extra bike time (15-16mins) but I'm going to go all out to get under 5hours. Might not be possible, we'll see. Hope the tattooing goes well.

Hollywood - is Shiraz in team prize winning form? Hope so!

Scooby - he is a bit of a hero image Though not very practical as an addition to your toolpack I'm afraid. Thanks for the good luck. The bike course will be a 4-5miles longer but I think the difficulty will be roughly the same. Might be a bit slower because there's now descent into town which means you have to control your speed a bit.

DDave - LOL - it all sounds very Monty Python. "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah". It would make a good book - a bit like Bill Bryson's on the UK.

Tinebeest - if you are lurking....the subject of the this year's Reith lectures is Chinese Vistas given by Jonathan Spence. The first is 'Confucian Ways'

wabo - did you mean splish splash splosh? image
  • flyaway - was supposed to be but starting a business and moving have c'cked everything up for me
  • mava - I believe I will be sweeping at the NDR. Do you prefer abuse or encouragement up the hills? image
    It'll be alright... (That's what I'm telling myself anyway - haven't spend that long on my feet for a very long time)
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    melli I stand corrected, splish splash splosh it is!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • afternoon all,

FL: ah well, I'll see you at a race soon I'm sure

What: Gym am (Leg strength, elliptical and short swim) a little trot PM
    Why: it's a running and strengthening day

Good luck to this evenings racers 

• WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Track session...just a little one
    First one in over 3 years...eeek
    lets just say it hurt but had brand new track almost to myself although had a sprint coach watch me...darn made me a little self concious as not a track runner.

1.5 miles to track

800 metres working on form

800 metres canning it

90 sec recovery

400 metres canning it

very timidly jog home 2.5 miles

This was to test my Max HR and will be doing regular track sessions...eeeek

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mellifera: We feed the birds. We dont have a telly so we're a bit addicted to the goings on round the bird house! We have all sorts coming to our garden - goldfinches, greenfinches, blue tits, great tits, a robin, lesser spotted woodpeckers, nuthatches, bullfinches... we had some bramblings but they were just on migration so they've moved on now. Twice I've seen a female sparrowhawk, but oddly enough there were no other birds around while she was there...
    We do get squirrels. At first we tried just chasing them away whenever we saw them in the garden. Now my husband has an air rifle. Unfortunatley, you get rid of one squirrel, and another one comes a few days later. He's probably shot 12 since the beginning of the year. Allegedly, if you put down squirrel-specific food at the other end of the garden, they'll eat that and leave your bird feed alone, but I'm a bit skeptical about that actually working.

• flyaway - I knew that stuff about XML/HTML and all, but I didn't log on to the website after you posted it, so I couldn't comment yesterday!!

Honest!

mellifera - I guess dehydration is a possibility, although I do normally drink quite a lot of water every day.  Also, yesterday's intervals session uncovered the rather worrying fact that my calves stop hurting when I reach 10mph.  Trouble is, I can only run that fast for 0.5M and then I have to stop and throw up!

Did 12x400m last night and all were 1.25-1.30 i.e. just fast enough to stop my calf muscles from hurting!  But the 200m recoveries left them feeling a bit stiff again!  Weird.

Today, I am working in London and staying here overnight, so I am planning a run round Regent's Park assuming I get to my hotel in time to get back out again.

• Afternoon all,

Track session last night, both pleased and not pleased with it! I matched my Target pace set by the coach which basically means objective met, mission complete etc etc, but just felt quiet jaded last night the whole session really, reckon the extra miles are catching up with me, so gonna need to stuff some unhealthy sugar loaded goodies for the next few days to get some extra carbs into the muscles! anyhows... session being:

a pyamid ran at 5k pace (all reps) with 1-lap jog recovery, a decent jogging pace

1. 600m - 1:58
    2. 800m - 2:46
    3. 1k - 3:29
    4. 800m - 2:45
    5. 600m - 1:59
    6. 800m - 2:45
    7. 1k - 3:30

What:

am: bodypump already done, covering instuctor today, different routine but good and worked the usual muscles nicely, but a few errors in the class corograph! image

pm: 6-7mile club run easy/steady pace, running how I feel, usually need half the run to get the mornings pump out ouf the legs, not straining with this run, keeping it smoothly smoothly.

Why:

Easier aerobic endurance

PAMMIE:

Nice interval session, those recoveries are fine! to get some more `freshness` into the legs, you could always try doing static 2min recoveries with the 800s, this should allow you to run them slightly quicker for speed, but if the plan is more geared towards speed endurance then keep doing the 1-lap jogs, as your putting in more mileage doing it that way!

• Watcher

Impressive stuff from the tri crew. (Bloody hell Melli!) Training for the three disciplines must make you all very fit. Wonder if it's ever been measured? Bet it has. Would have to take a swimmer, cyclist, runner and tri-athlete all at the same competitive level and subject them to a barrage of fitness tests...

Imski Although I run much shorter reps I think I know what you mean about your Monday night session. Get the first rep radically wrong - too fast, too slow, whatever, and it can be very difficult to get the session back on track.

20 mins (possible name change ahoy) good luck with the mad twirly 5k tonight.

Scooby Death by water torture too pleasant for the arsey show-off encountered at the pool. Glad your swim was good in spite of!

TR Ooh well done by your pesky kid! And watch that PF, hope you've caught it in time. You've sounded pretty upbeat about your mixed bag sessions recently - it would be a shame etc etc

Trini Excellent!

Melissa Don't run yet! You're almost there! Eeeeeek to the tatts - sports massage is pain enough for me ta!

clink That actually sounds pretty tough yesterday. Smirk to you 'preparing' in the bushes.

Tom Bloody colds and assorted viruses. All we need. Interesting that you 'hate' speedwork. Given that you are in fact quite a speedster. What is it you dislike so much - is it the full-outness?

• Lyrics: Not a clue.
    Here's today's 'What':

Still experiencing the excessive tiredness after none excessive effort, so the virus effects are lingering. But I feel the need to cautiously push a bit more as the days fly by. I guess it's an oft experienced irony - make it through a tough winter training season without injury and then fall prey to injury or illness as soon as the athletics season start.

At the top end of the scale we have the desperately unlucky Jess Ennis. She was doing so well, must be gutted. In the middle of the scale there's the likes of our speedy 17 year old at HAC. Less than a couple of weeks 'til English Schools champs (he's made them every year since he was eligible so far) and he's picked up a hamstring niggle. And at the bottom of the heap there's me.

oh yeah.... and Paula.
    Sorry Paula, didn't mean to plonk you at the bottom of the heap along with me.

So. Today:
    Bike ride to track. Cor - sunshine bliss! Dispensed with lap warm up as on Monday and did 20 mins of disciplined drills. Walk lunges again - wide, low and deep. The lunges, not me. I'm more narrow, low and shallow.

3 x 60m windups in place of strides again. First 20ms easy, second lengthen stride and add a bit of power, final 20 quite aggressive.

Its now a month since I ran further than 120 - apart from the 200 race last week. Kind of worrying so thought I needed to tackle a mini pyramid today. 150 - 200 - 250 - 200 - 150. 5-7 mins walk recovery between each. The 150s were fine and relatively quick. I was concentrating on running smoothly, not pushing too much, so was surprised that the first 150 came to within a second of my best time. The first 200 wasn't bad either but then post viral tiredness began to tell. The 250 was VERY hard work, and made the following 200 pretty tough too, although I tried to keep it smooth and relaxed it did me in a bit. Legs are fine but lungs are not.

I did finish the set though, and cycled home as a cool down.

• Afternoon all,

Sharkie - agreed re the injuries, terrible news for Jess Ennis. Was looking forward to seeing her and Kelly S battle it out for gold and silver.

What: 13miles easy
    Why: P&D
    Last Hard: LT session yesterday
    Last Rest: Monday

Thinking that I might take a leaf out of the info on the 2:30 thread and do my Mid week medium long as a progresion run, building up to MP towards the end.... might just work.

Hope all are well.

Bring it on.