Dwaine Chambers is cheapening the name of clean athletes?

Comments

• Thank god we don't  stone people anymore.

• Some of you talk about Chambers as if he's a victim.

He systematically cheated for personal and financial gain, at the cost of others.

I have 2 kids that are heavy into athletics and I want drugs out of the sport and I want cheats punished!

• He was punished & served the punishment given to him,now let the man live his life.
  • I'm happy for him to live his life. Away from Athletics.

His punishment was an Olympic liftime ban. If he gets back into the Olympics he hasn't served his punishment!

• If it was a blanket ban put in place by the IOC. I would back the ban all the way ................. but this Olympic ban is just for UK based athletes.

Let's have one rule for all athletes. It should be same the world over 

• MedalsMedals ✭✭✭

I quite agree, let him live his life. 

But don't let him run in the Olympics, because that was the rule.  A lifetime ban.

Anyway, who knows, the drugs he took may still be having an effect on him, still therefore giving him an unfair advange. 

• The question you should ask yourself is,

Is athletics a better sport for allowing drug cheats back to compete?

For me it as to be NO.

• I agree Pizza man..1 Rule for everyone...Ban for life!
  • Is that not his point??

There is not one rule & as such he has a case in point to argue surely?

• The rule should NOT change to suit Chambers. That is my point Redtoe!!

Its great that UK Athletics are leading the world in drug cheats. Everyone should be talked into UKs way of thinking not vice versa.

• It's not UK Athletics, they have picked him on a number of occassions, most notably the gold in the 100ms relay in Helsinki.

It's the BOC's rule only.

One rule for the BOC only. If he represented any other nation he would be going to Bejing. Like I say it will be avery messy court case. Which I believe (IMHO) rightly or wrongly, he will win on a restriction of trade basis.

• Chambers is the tip of the iceberg and probably one of the last cheats to get caught. New science can now change the make of the cells that can only be detected by a biopsy and I can't see many athletes submitting muscle tissue for random testing.

It's changing people and not for the better

• MedalsMedals ✭✭✭

It's Chambers' decision whether there will be a messy court case or not. 

He can take his punishment and simply not pursue his desire to run in Beijing.

I just don't see the problem here.  The BOC made a ruling.  You take drugs and get caught, you get a two year ban and you are banned fron the Olympics for life.  Chambers knew that.  He knew the risk he was taking.  He took that risk and got caught. 

I think it's pretty rich that he's now trying to use litigation to wriggle his way out of a mess that was his doing.  

• They should have another catogory for people who use drugs, a super league. It's no different to seperating men, women and paraolympians.
  • part of his punishment is the BOC lifetime ban - which he hasn't finished serving.

to say he's completed his punishment when he's actually only completed one half of it is simply not accurate. 

• I too, felt that once his ban was served,he should be allowed back,but having read that the performance enhancing Drugs will have already given his body a life-long advantage,I'm not so sure.
    Where do we draw the line though.
    I'm a Veteran Sprinter & I take Creatine sometimes,which is meant to aid performance,but that's legal?
  • I shall weigh in and put an end to this debate.  UKA (or whatever they're called these days) should be able to pick whatever athletes they like and if they don't like you because you are an admitted or otherwise nabbed drugs cheat then that should be fair enough.  End of story, thank you.   Chambers didn't just cheat UKA out of money but also the other British athletes that would have been earning that money whilst he was running during his cheating.  He also cheated other athletes out of medals, including those runners who were unfortunate enough to be a part of any relay teams he ran with.

So, to round up, Chambers should just bu??er off and get a proper job.  His life on the gravy train should be over. 

• Been away Dodge? Not noticed you post for a while? I'm no fan of Chambers. I just feel that any British athlete in his position is being harshly treated. Admitidly not as harshly treated as those who lost out of anything because of his cheating.

Bear, He HAS served his whole punishment from the IOC, but not the bye-law put in place by the BOC.

It should be one rule for all in athletics, not punish them further because they are British.

Rob33, interesting point.  Will you be in Brum this weekend?

• I haven't been running proper for a while so didn't feel I should cheat on these forums and the runners here in.  Chambers, I'm looking at you.  You see, he hasn't been harshly treated and the BOC shouldn't be harried because they have the mettle to dole out the correct punishment that the IOC has balked at.  The BOC should be commended on their stance.  Just because other nations are happy to have known drug cheats represent their country doesn't mean they are right.  It's not as if Chambers is being banned from competing as an athlete, just as an athlete competing for Britain.  Since when is it anyone's right to be picked to represent their country?
  • AT last the voice of reason...Dodge I salute you
  • I can't wait for the day when a clean athlete sues a cheat because of loss of earnings etc..

Lets turn the table on them...Mind you its the lawyers that always win, they get paid no matter what!

• feel the pain! wrote (see)
    AT last the voice of reason...Dodge I salute you
    I'd prefer cash to salutes but not in a bribey way, more reward for my hard efforts, you understand. image
  • feel the pain! wrote (see)

I can't wait for the day when a clean athlete sues a cheat because of loss of earnings etc..

Lets turn the table on them...Mind you its the lawyers that always win, they get paid no matter what!

Probably the best thing that's been written on this thread.
  • Let battle commence

On another and probably more serious note.

Did anyone read the article on the previous page of this thread about gene doping? It could well end athletics as we know it. 

• Whether the courts say the lifetime ban is 'unfair'. Surely they cannot force the BOA to pick him if they don't want to.

Whats next ..is a footballer gonna sue the FA if he doesn't get picked for England!

I'm not up to date on the gene doping but for every scientist that helps the cheats there is 100's that will be trying to stop them.

• Gene doping, in a nutshell. They've created a virus that can change the make-up of human cells, enabling them to. Everything that can be enhanced by taking enhancing drugs can be done by viral inection. Impossible to detect except by an invasive biopsy.

"It is possible to introduce genes into people and change the DNA of some of their cells, genes that affect the way muscles function or the way that they heal after injury," he said.

Although gene doping is probably still in its infancy, as techniques become more sophisticated naturally occurring hormones could be boosted or altered to enhance performance.

"In mice and in monkeys and in other tests that have been done, the animals have shown increased amount of blood production," Dr Friedmann said.

"Those mice have in fact become much stronger and much more muscular."

• Popsider posted this on another thread 

thought it made interesting reading

was Chambers just a willing lab rat or did he really know what was being pumped into his body (injecting insulin into someone is one of the surest ways to kill them if you get the dose wrong btw)

not sure what I think - he is a shamed drug cheat and it is hard to remove that stain but should he be allowed another chance at the pinnacle lifetime event for most athletes? would he have been as good an athlete if he had stayed clean

will he end up in the same mess as Flo Jo after all the chemical interference into his biochemistry - who knows ....is that really a price worth paying?

• Pizza Man wrote (see)

Bear, He HAS served his whole punishment from the IOC, but not the bye-law put in place by the BOC.

so - not the whole punishment then.

I'm quite happy with the governing body for the British Olympics to impose a supplementary penalty.

DC knew of this penalty when he chose to cheat.  If you don't like the penalty, don't commit the offence 

• It would be nice if he would display a bit of shame and slink off and get a job as a postie. He is quite brazen, innit?