Dwaine Chambers is cheapening the name of clean athletes?

Comments

• ok will check that out and give a response!

Did I hear right if he is in he can't do the relay?

• I've not heard that Don,

Interesting piece Mindcraft.  There are so many ways of looking at this.

If he'd have not shown up for the test or refused it, he would have served a minimal ban and be going to the Olympics.

I see the Greeks have selected Thanou 

• I'm of the oppinion that everyone should be given a chance to redeme themselves - how many of us have done something so stupid we're just grateful that either we weren't found out or that we were forgiven.

Today the powers that be have the chance to make Dwaine Chambers the man who cheated or the man who turned his life around.  Now which of thoes is a positive and insperational outcome and which is the destruction of one of our top athletes for making a mistake.

• Verdict Due..... COURT 76
    Before MR JUSTICE MACKAY
    Friday, 18th July 2008
    At half past 10
    UNROBED
    FOR JUDGMENT
    APPLICATION NOTICES
    IHQ/08/0558 Chambers v British Olympic Association
    IHQ/08/0584 Same v Same
  • I think I read that there's the potential for appeal on the result as well, so we may not know for certain until next week.  As I understand it, it's an injunction anyway, the full hearing isn't until next spring, which I guess means a greater chance of DC getting the nod.  Not really sure why he left the court case this late given that the ban was imposed in 2003.

MC - I'm sure I've made mistakes, but nothing deliberate, over such a long period, or with the aim to cheat and deceive as much as DC's situation as I understand it. 

• Mindcraft...What an absolute wet blanket you are! He did not make a mistake, It was calculated, devious, underhand, unethical, blah blah blah.

Lets forgive all the cheats! They are victims after all. Poor little Dwain he didn't know what he was doing. That nasty man made him take perfomance enhancing drugs.

"The man who turned his life around"....what a load of bollox! He's the man that got caught.

Lets empty the prisons hey Mindcraft, them paedophiles, murderers, rapists, they all want to "turn their life around".

Athletics is a dying sport because of all these cheats. Get them out of athletics and lock them up!

• I tend to agree with you XFR - as it will be an injunction, I think the Judge might say let him go.

Not that I agree with the decision.

I suppose he left it so late so he could ensure that when it went to court there could be no doubt as to if he would otherwise definitely be in the team ie, run the Q time and won the trial.

• Could be that - the cynic in me says maybe the thinking was that he was more likely to get the nod on the injunction than if the full trial had gone through, but that's just my suspicious mind.  As a legal case it's just as valid if it had been done several years ago I would imagine, regardless of whether he'd won a trial?
  • Perhaps - but I guess it adds weight to his arguement.
  • NEWSFLASH - DWAIN CHAMBERS FAILS IN BID TO RUN AT OLYMPICS - MORE SOON....

• good news as far as I'm concerned image
  • have to say I'm quite surprised, thought he'd get the nod at the injunction but then might well fail at the full tiral, which by then would be academic
  • He can still appeal but the hearing needs to have taken place by the end of the day....

Sure.

I think that it's good news - GB leading the way against drug cheats.

• ah right - end of the day - so we can expect more news tonight then?
  • Note sure that he'll get it through in time to be honest. GB have to name their squad by sunday night so even if they get an appeal launched today, I doubt if the judge will change his mind in a few hours - I mean, what extra evidence/arguement are they going to have??
  • So basically, the judge has said, "I don't want to upset the British Team, and make a decision now that might not be the same as next year, so tough cookie, you should have come to court earlier."
  • Wow Peal the Paint or whatever you're called - take a chill pill dear before you burst a blood vessel.

Firstly as far as the "wet blanket" insult goes, who the f**k are you to judge me - you have no idea who I am or anything about my life.

Secondly this is a forum on which people should be allowed to express their views and opinions without the fear of being attacked, insulted or bullied for what they say.

I belive if someone has done something wrong then they should be punished, absolutely. And what are you talking about release the pedophiles and rapist!!!  You need to get some of perspective in your life. Dwaine Chambers cheeted in a sport - he didn't molest a child or rape a woman or murder anyone - how dare you lower these crimes to the level of cheating in sport.

I really hope you do not have a position of power over people as you seem to have a very distorted idea of crime and punishment.

• Looks that way - wasn't quite the sort of argument I was expecting but I can see the point definitely
  • Agreed - I was expecting discussion on trade laws and human rights and the like, not "don't want to rock the boat in the team camp, come back next year!".

I suppose it's the same as the Modal (I think) case when the judge there said, this isn't a legal issue I don't want to get involved in sport as it's self governing.

At the end of the "Rules is Rules" and if they are there when you decide to do something (regardless of their fairness you signed up to it) then you must abide by the consequences IMHO.

• From memory there was some sort of question mark over the procedure for keeping the samples too, but I wouldn't swear to that

I'd agree with you on abiding by the consequences, although personally I don't think the rule is unfair anyway. 

• BOA chairman Lord Moynihan said the decision had vindicated the long-standing by-law.

"It's a matter of regret that Dwain Chambers, an athlete of such undoubted talent, should by his own actions have put himself out of the running to shine on the Olympic stage in Beijing," said Moynihan

"The BOA will continue to send a powerful message that nobody found guilty of serious drug-cheating offences should have the honour of wearing GB vests at the Olympic Games.

"The court's decision allows us now to focus on, and support, those athletes who will be travelling to Beijing to represent Team GB in just 21 days' time. We must now focus on their interests."

'nuff said.

• Hear hear, lord whatsisface.
  • I'm not sure he's right tbh - my reading of the news article is that the judge doesn't want to upset the team and thinks that rushing it through like this is not a good way to judge it - he's not said "yep, the ban is lawful"

having said that, I do agree with the sentiment in the rest of what he said 

• I am happy for the law abiding athlete who gets picked to run instead of somebody who broke the rules.  That athlete has trained every day for years to have his moment, so lets be happy for him.

I am also pleased for the poor relay squad who had their medals taken of because someone in the team cheated.  I should imagine they think justice has been done.

I am not slamming anyyone for having an opinion either way, but personally think justice has been done.  Also, if he really cared why  did he choose now to point the finger at his helpers - it happened years ago.  

• The only thin that has been cleared up here is that any druged up athlete (and you are very naive if you believe that Dwaine is the odd one here) that gets caught is a fool.

The message being sent out is don't take the test if you think you will get caught.

The holier than thou attitude of some of the "clean" athletes sucks. They are just pissed off that Dwaine got caught.

• I hear that Dwaine Chambers is being touted as the next winner of the Tour De France

• LOL!

he's not appealing the decision, according to the lunchtime news 

• No, I agreed with him taking the descision to court, but now is the time to stand down
  • Very good point, PM.
    If you're going to dope off-season, just don't tell the testers where you're going to be.

Whilst I agree with the BOA's stance on Chambers, the hypocrisy of it weakens its moral position enormously.