Brathay Windermere Marathon

Comments

• Looking forward to the weekend; we're driving up on Sat; even tho only coming from Lancashire, and will drive round the course then. Getting excited now! BTW; who and what are fetchfolk?
  • My training consisted of repeatedly ascending and descending a 25 foot ladder all day.

Fetchfolk is a running social network site like this here not a member myself haven't enough time to post on here to start any more image

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

SM - If that really was the last episode then all I can say is 'Thank fetch for that'. 

I think it's probably time for me to come clean and declare my predicted finish time.  It'll need a techy to put it on for me (I'll only mess it up), so shall we say 3:44:58, with me just edging out my old mate Andy in another sprint finish? image.

Just a gentle 3 miles for me today.  Didn't have time for much else as I spent most of the evening reading all the messages from my running buddies wishing me a Happy Birthday.  Thanks everyone, it means a lot to me image

• Happy birthday millsy

Pete Waywell                     1087      =3.05.00  light blue wesham vest
    simon Eaton                                     =3.10.00
    woody2run                            948     = 3:35:00
    milanos (Alisdair)                872     = 3:39:59
    Milster                                                 = 3:44:58
    CumbriAndy                          874     = 3:44:59
    Helly Hansen Man                           = 3:45:00
    Joe Hawk                                          = 3:59:59
    Lizogical                                880      = 4:00:00
    Miami Mike                            999     = 4:15:00
    SM                                                       = 4:19:58
    windassisted                                    = 4:30:00
    NSC                                                    = 4:30:00
    Morgs                                                  = 4:45:00
    XB                                                        = 4:45:00
    Pete Sherri                            352      = 4:45:00

• Bloody Hell Millsy - does that mean I'll have to talk to you all the way round again?  Happy birthday BTW

windassisted - as woody says Fetchfolk (or Fetchies) are members of the network he has pointed you to.  Said Fetchies are much like RW forum devotees in many respects (many, like me, XB, eLBee, NSC are on both) except that they generally have a far greater passion for cake and/or beer.  The other key difference is that, unlike RW who have never actually managed to organise any clothing for its members to buy and show solidarity, Fetchies can often be spotted wearing 'official' kit.  This comes in a choice of colours - a very sedate black with red trim (useful for training or sitting in pubs) and a very noticable red with dayglo yellow stripes exactly like the one XB is wearing in his piccie (which gets you noticed while racing).  Fetchies have a very strong herding instinct and will usually be found in large noisy groups surrounded by cake tins at race finish lines in a convenient location midway between the finishing straight and the bar. We'll happily chat to anybody - come and say hello.

• Had a good run tonight and my hamstring is feeling better. image Shame that now my wife has told me we have to go to her nieces 18th on Saturday!! and hence I will have to drive down to Windy on Sun morn! I currently reside in Edinburgh so we're talking about a 3 hr drive at 5am or some nonsense hour. I've never run a long race after having been sat in a car for three hours - is this likely to mess me up? I can't imagine it will do me too much good to be honest image
  • Drive down early enough to give your legs a good warm up before the race and you will be ok. After doing the Rotherham 50 this last year i jumped staight in the car and drove for 3 hours to get back for a 21st can tell you there was not much dancing left in me needed a wheelchair and jump leads to get the legs moving again he he
  • Hurraaaay Millsy at last comes clean.
    (and don`t pretend u dint like JL I bet u read every episode)
    Excellent description of Fetchies Andy......personally I just look at them as RW defectors.
    Actually I believe the Fetch site is also owned by RW....am I right?
    Good lad Woody for updating the list ....I will add my number tonight..........although not sure if it`s wise but WTF.
    Carb loading eh Morgs ?...........sounds serious any speshal foods u r considering?
    Beanz on toast for SM at about 8.00am.
    Pete W ....I usually do the embarrassing dad style dancing when I am pissed so I think if I tried it after 26.2 miles it might even improve........a bit like Peter Crouch`s robotics or somethink.
    XB looks fit in his new pitcher .....or did he use photo shop to tart it up?
  • XBXB ✭✭✭

Steady on. That's the new healthy happy me. I was hiding the real me under a layer of blubber. I still am but slightly less wobbly than it was at Yorkshireman.

• Looking good mate!
  • Have done nothing since monday cos I'm on nights, last shift tonight so I'll have a couple of days to catch up on sleep. I don't envy anyone working or dancing the night before though.
    I'm having one of those "I can't think of a part of my body that doesn't hurt, my God I feel old, I must be mad to think I can do this, the way I feel I doubt I'll make it halfway" kind of days today so I'm going to go out for a couple of slow miles in the woods later to cheer myself up, followed by an afternoon nap. At least I know I usually feel like this in the week before a big race.

I also just saw a new picture of me doing a 10k on my club picture gallery - taken in side profile on a hot day. That really hasn't helped my self image. I don't think I'll wear my Rafa Nadal lookalike sweatband & lycra any more. It's not fair on anyone else. Jack Laser I am not.

Have we finally decided on the big rocky thing btw?

• Don`t despair mate.........beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

And it was Jake....not Jack.
  • ............and he was a loser in the end.

Not like u image
  • PW- Have you ran this before?   I've ran it for the last 2 years and it's a tough course.

3.05 will get you in the top 20. good luck.

Look out for a few Stockport vests

• But don`t think I am changing into a nice person just cos I was kind to XB and Mike.
    BTW HAPPY BIRTHDAY ............Millsy....maybe you should get the beers in!
  • I feel better now, have looked at my FLM pics on marathonfoto & I look positively athletic on a couple of them.

Well, compared to the one my so called mates have put on the club website.

On one of them I'm burning off Kate Lawler along Birdcage Walk who is wearing a tarzan suit

I appear to have coughed to not acutally reading your latest novel SMimage.

Been out for 2.5 miles, eaten a whole parket of biscuits while watching an old film "the man who knew too much"  & feel human again.

That Doris Day was quite fit in the fifties, but not as fit as Kate Lawler.

• I'm getting rather nervous now - eek! Have been suffering from shin splints and various other niggles - hope it is all going to be all right on the day. Good luck to everybody - enjoy!!!! Soon I will have completed my first ever marathon . . . at least it will be a pb, even if it takes me forever to get around . . .
  • Haven't got my number yet - what is going on with the numbers??!!
  • Mike............I am deeply hurt.

You will do it Pauline eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezy.
  • MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Mike - Why were you running away from Kate Lawler..............................?

Pauline - Go for it!  You do realise that once you've done one marathon, you'll be desparate to do the next.  Don't say you haven't been warned!

Andy - Can I become an associate Fetch member for the weekend?  ( I have actually signed up on the website).  I was thinking that as an associate I could just eat everyone else's cake.  Will that be okay?  Oh, and my number is 965 just incase you want to add this to the official list.

Morgs - Have you picked a tree for us to meet up next to?image

SM - I'm boredimage This tapering is a pain in the posterior.....................tell us a story.

• I'd just like to wish everyone good luck before the big one on Sunday! Probably the last time I will come on here before Sunday and would like to thank everyone for their help over the past five or six months!

I have not been a regular contributor but have visited the thread to check out everyones posts since I signed up and it has been a great help, with some really good advice, and sometimes very amusing as well!

I too have a few niggles and the usual doubts are creeping into my mind, but again it is good to know I am not alone! Preparation over the last month could have been better (thigh, foot, knee you name it!) but I think I am in reasonable shape and as long as the thigh holds out I should hopefully get around in a good time.

Cant wait to be sat in Ambleside on Sunday afternoon necking a couple of pints brimming with a great sense of achievement after completing my first marathon!!

I will let you know on Monday if I plan to do another!!

Good luck everyone and cheers again!

Mick

• Happy burfday Millsy image....If my memory serves me correct, is the rock thingy not near a big bush/tree/shrub and also the portaloo queue?

Carb loading is going fine and dandy, although my brain seems to have disengaged itself and I am somewhat rather 'distracted'

Speaking of Fetch, (not that I post on there much. I tend to use it more for logging stuff) my vest arrived yesterday. I got it to go under my club vest which doesnt fit properly.

• Jonah8 i did it 2 years ago as my first marathon ever in 3.12 for 35th place since then i have ran sub 3 marathons and 6 others in under 3.05 so i am hoping that if i have a good night at work on Saturday and my legs are not to tierd from London i think i can get close to that time but anything under my 2007 time will do for me.

If i have a bad night at work i might not even run it but one thing i no from past races it all comes down to how you feel on the day and pacing it correctly.

Good Luck to everyone

• Morgs u r a loyal RW soldier and we all thank u dearly for that.
    I can still remember when u neely went over to the dark side.
    Mad Mick nice posting mate and it brings to me a sense of commoraderie.
    In fact Paul Mc Cartney (I think) did a song about a load of animalz or something called "We all stand/pull together" (I am sure my forum mates will correct me) and ur posting made me think of that.
    Millsy u were responsible for the birth of JL if u remember (and a couple of laydeeze fuelled the fire on the Frecky) .....other appreciatives were Woody and Cumbria Andy so it couldn`t have been that bad could it?
    But I was upset Mike dint read them all cos I thought he was my mate.
    But it has drained my creative juices for a while so I am sorry to dissappoint you mate.
    I might do write up of this though so u better be nice to me.
  • Hi guys has anyone any idea if the last six miles is hilly or flat ?

Thanks

• PW- I did 3.01 last year on this course after I did 2.54 at London,but you got it spot on about the pacing with this race.

I set off quite fast last year and hit half way in 1.26 but this year the 4 of us are going to try and keep them around 6.50's and see what happens.

K66- After you leave Bownees it seems all up hill then there's a beauty at Brathy Hall right at the end.

• Jonah  i was thinking of the first 5 in 35 ish then start winding up the 6.50 from about 8 miles a sub 3 on this course is a big ask so i will just see what is left the second half.

They are both fantastic times i did 3.00.08 at London this year but new i had not gone over the 22 mile mark in training so was not surprised when i was struggling from 21 mile onwards hoping that that run has helped me.

Are you in a Stockport vest

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

John Bach

entered the Anglsey mararthon this week   and can not wait    sorting out where to stay

• Morgs a bush is a small bushy thing and a tree is like a big lollipop with leaves and twigs sticking out and comes out of the ground.
    So r we meeting at a tree or a bush or a stoney thing near a toilit?
  • PW- Yeah, there will be 5 I know about from Stockport running, the 4 of us running together should be there or thereabouts around sub 3.

Might be a bit too soon after London but I'll give it a go (2.52 this year)

Please feel free to tag along if you want to.