Brathay Windermere Marathon

Comments

• This is a first for me got everything ready before midnight image Normally I get to bed at 2 amimage

I'm hoping to get there early ish to register and see the TITs off, also looking forward to meeting folks off here. only met skipper last weekend so all new people to me.

Might even get an early night, no doubt as I'm this organized for the first time I'll have forgotten something image

all the best to All.

• Thats good news Joe what time did you get in WP?

• Very excited too now, just over 12 hours to go image and that's me all packed. Been out to the niece's 18th birthday meal (pasta of course) and settling down to watch the footie before bed. Aiming to hit the road at 6am tomorrow to get down before 9 to get the journey out of the legs. I have no idea what rock thing some of you guys are intending to meet at but if I find it I will be sure to say hello.

Good luck everyone, have a great run!

milanos

• Went to bed early-ish but woke up at 5.30 all ready and setting off now should be there by 9 image
  • Well that was hard work I didn't remember there being that many hills in the second half . Did n't help that my legs were gone by around 16ish.

Well run everybody , now where do you sign up for next year image

• Well done Joe - good to meet you and others.  Looking over my split times now it appears that my legs didn't stop working 'til 19 miles but I didn't run WP yesterday so, unlike you, I have no excuse! Fantastic day all round though.

We sign up for next year by downloading the form available hereimage

And while we're at it, lets continue the good work in trying to get a few more people signed up.  In my opinion, the only thing this race really could do better is promote itself more - I'll be corresponding with the race director on that topic once we've all had a well deserved rest but in the meantime word of mouth is always a powerful medium.

Look forward to reading others' race reports.  SM - please don't write yours in installmentsimage

• That was hard work today will make sure i am not working the night before next time had a hamstring problem from 16 miles and found it hard going to finish in 3.11.41  but that is a pb for that course.

On the note of promoting the race they should look at spending some of that £30 they charge on a Technical T.shirt aswell as the medal we have these at the race i organize and the feedback from runners is great and they are worn at races all over the country one at the race today and also been spotted in runners world .

What better way to advertise a race than over 1000 people wearing the race

• Pete - half the point of this race is to raise money for the charity, but I like my T-shirts as well.  

Only slight thing I would say is can we have plain mint cake next year just don't really like the chocolate one image

• The race i organise is 100 % for charity but we still give out Tecnical T.shirts as a way of advertising the race and giving value for money the cost is minimal when you are charging £30 and the advertising you get is second to none
  • Wow - I really loved it!!!!!! My first marathon and it was fantastic - I'm delighted with my time of 4 hours ten minutes and shall look forward to beating it next year when I return. Brilliant.

Well done everyone!

• Well done everyone - I didn't run but was out supporting you taking a few snaps before Hawshead and Bowness - I will post them online within a day or so on flicker - if you like them feel free to download or email you and I will send you the JPEg for free so watch this space - and again well done to all of you - RESPECT.
  • Wow - What a lovely race image My first marathon. Managed 4 hours 4 mins, so was pretty pleased with that & not actually aching all that bad (maybe tomorrow though)! I was just crossing the finish line when the rain really started to lash it down.

The only problems I had with the race was the parking issue really; was getting a bit worried at the start of the race when we were still in a que of traffic to get in. And on the way out, we were stuck for over an hour - people's cars kept getting stuck in the mud & having to be pulled out by a tractor!

But wooo, had a lovely time. Well done everyone x

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Liz - Agree about the parking, although I don't recall any problems last year when there were still around 900 runners.  Two problems today, methinks.  Firstly the weather, which is always a potential problem in the Lakes, and secondly the traffic lights.  According to one of the marshals - still friendly and helpful, despite the problems- the local Police had refused to allow the traffic lights outside the Hall to be switched off.  Not that it made much difference since everyone seemed to be going through on red anyway.

Andy - I seem to be having a problem downloading. that form image.  Thanks for the cake by the way, and you really need not have worried about me jabbering away round the course today.  Didn't do much jabbering - breathing was hard enough image.

Pete - You could be right about the t-shirts.  I wouldn't like to see the price of the race rise to cover the cost, but the benefit of the added publicity might be a worthy investment for the organisers.  I haven't got a -shirt as I thought an extra £15 was a bit steep.

Looking forward to seeing the photos city fan.  Could you, or someone else post a link when they are ready please ?

Good to meet up with some new, and some old friends, today.  Hope to see more race reports in the coming days. 

• well done everyone and nice meeting folk at the rock thingy,

Now who said windy is easier than Anglesey cos I'm sorry but I beg to differ . It was vary hard, with hindsight I should have gone round the route in the car first if I'd known how many hills I would have set off at a slower pace, I started to struggle after 13 m (1:38:12) and had to keep telling myself to keep going and counting down the miles. I managed a hard earned  3:36:03 chip time. Overall a great day and well run marathon, the support even in the remote parts was good, and I like the Fred Flintstones style medal nice to have something unique. Sorry for not hanging around at the end. I went for dinner with 14 supporters mainly family to the Albert in Bowness.

• photos will be here  so keep checking alhough give me a day or so to upload

sorry as no way did I get everyone and I'm still learning technique of speed photograpghy - but is is nice to put something back into the  sport  I have enjoyed for  6 years or so and not see runners ripped off for photos - Ok mine arn't as good.........

I'd love to try this one - but it did look a bit hilly.  If you saw me taking a pic with two mad kids - twas me

• First ever marathon for me so, in 50s and over category, I was pleased with a chip time of 3:54:54. Fortunately, I just avoided the downpour at 2.30 pm. The hill at 21/22 was tougher than expected... next year, I will be ready for it! And, I will be back - a great day.
  • MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Thanks ciity fan.  Results anyone? http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/
  • I agree with Pete about the tee shirts.
    I disagree with Joe about the mintcake....the chocolate covered was great.
    I agree with Joe about the hills....there seems to be more every year.
    Millsy thinks its global warming doing it.
    Thanks for the cake Andy what a sound bloke image

It is comforting for a 4 hour plus bloke like me to hear that the fast guys also get tired and sometimes feel like quitting ....a couple of times I felt like giving up myself but ended up beating last years time by 14 mins.
    Not least due to the local support.....so many smiling faces and friendly people it really is a tonic when ur spirits are flagging.
    And I`ve seen that little old lady at her front door every year and she always gives u a smile and a thumbs up.
    And well done all whether u were 1st or last it`s getting round that matters....it`s a different race for everyboby in my eyes.
  • Well done mike.....close but no cigar!
    U can give my fiver to millsy when u see him next image
  • Note to self, never bet against SMimage

Bad knee and no training eh?? Wasn't that 12 minutes faster than last year.

4.24 for me, was 9 minutes less than I hoped for but still a pb by 5 minutes and I nearly stopped in Bowness cos I didn't have enough gels early on and hit the wall just as the big hill started and I stopped to talk to my mum & dad just after halfway who'd come all the way from Wales to see me. I already knew I wasn't going to make my 4.15 by then so I thought saying hello was the least I could do.

Nice to finally put names to faces at the start. Not sure how long my little chubby legs will keep going, so might be close to retiring from full marathons, but I hope to see soeme of you at other events in the future.

• "Bad knee and no training eh?? Wasn't that 12 minutes faster than last year"

I dint have money on it last time Mike.

And there`s plenty of maras left in ur legz.
  • Not the way they feel today SM. I tried a novel recovery strategy in the beer tent (Coniston Bluebird obviously, for speed) as I was later being driven home by one of my Virgin pals, who both did a cracking 4.55 in their first marathon btw.

You'd probably had a couple, a big burger and a kip and left for home before I'd got to the beer tent, so I'll have to enter next year to give you that five quid (or win it back).

What's next up for you. I'm entered in Edinburgh in 2 weeks time, if I recover ok. I really thought I'd broken something in my foot last night but it doesn't feel as bad this morning.

• John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone re yesterday - a tough marathon in challenging conditions!

Having now done Windemere, Anglesey and Snowdonia (twice) I'd say that there is not a great deal of difference between W&A (toughness wise) as there is very little restbite during either race - in my opinion they are as tough/if not tougher than Snowdonia - with Snowdonia you have the 3 long times, but there are the long descents afterwards.

Whilst I thought there was more support at Windemere, I think the organisation at Anglesey (and Snowdonia) is better and, for those watching their pennies, it offers much greater value for money
  • I would agree with you Joe Anglesey and Windamere are on a par although Anglesey has the long hill at the end there aren't as many ups and downs on route, Not done Snowdonia before but you've now tempted me to have a go at it.
  • hehe glad I didn't just imagine that nasty hill at around 21 miles (it was around that point anyway). All of a sudden my mind just went on overload; I can't remember what I was actually thinking, but I think it was a mental struggle between me and 'the wall'. Will definitely be back next year - only sad I didn't get to meet any of you guys.

Aww, its all over - need another challenge now image

• Mike my next race is the Ilkley trail race on Sunday.

That reminds me how did u get on NSC?

Oh yeah and I saw u XB wings of glory over the finishing line you poser.
    You`re not the same modest fellow u used to be since u became a TV celebrity Jonathon Edwards has a lot to answer for.....I suppose we`ll see u in the jungle next with Ant and Deck.

Then after Ilkley it`s the Freckleton HM in June.

Then the Yorkshireman of road marathon in September where I am running with my friend Poorly Feet as pair team number 1.
    Ha ha ha can u imagine that SM with a number 1 on his vest.
  • Might see you up in Edinburgh MM.

Legs a little sore but in general not bad at all image

• XBXB ✭✭✭

I was a happy chappy, SM. 26.2 perfect miles for me. The first 14 were spent in Fetch company then I felt I had to go it alone to maintain consistent 10min miling. Kev and I kept close contact but he was singing in tune.

11 minute PB, 27 minutes faster than FLM and no niggles to report. That's a good day's work for me.

My agent wants me to do Celeb Big Brother first and then decide on the Jungle.

I might see you at the Trail Race if they'll pay my modest appearance fee and expenses.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    So what happened to the prizes which were supposedly on offer for first 2 in the Fairfield/Brathay double and the White Peak/Brathay (District) double?  Anyone got any idea?