Brathay Windermere Marathon

Comments

• Wonderful race. Never going to break any records or get a pb given that I hadn't run for about 6 weeks, but thanks to all who suggested I should do it anyway! loved (nearly) every minute of it and will definitely be back.
  • Evening folks!

And well done to everybody yesterday. It was great to see a few of you at the rock thingy and at the end as well image

I feel like someone has ran me down and then reversed back over me a couple of times...just for the craic!

Really good run yesterday. My planned pace was going fine and dandy (if not better than) and I thought I was on for 4hrs 30 at 20 miles. Anywayz, at about 22, I thought my legs were going to seize up and a bit of crampage set in so it was a case of hurling myself round the last few miles in the hoying down rain with a walk up the ups and run down the downs. All that aside I had a brilliant race and knocked 33.5 minutes off've my last years time to give me a shiny new pee bee of 4:46:03 image

Only trouble is I feel compelled to come back next year for my 4:30:00 image

• UNNOFFICIAL PHOTOS - FREE

Don't know if any of you saw me - I was round and about taking pics of you - well some of you - the one with two mad kids in Bowness.

Any pics can now be viewed here

windermere pics

have a browse - if you like what you see - feel free to leave a comment - download it - or if you want high res image - email me with details of image no. and your race no and I will gladly email you back the image for free - I juyst feel its nice to put something back into the sport and feel some race photography firms do charge a lot - thisway I conbine 2 hobbies - running and photograpghy - hope you like them any feedback welcome and well done all of you - respect for that one

you can email me at charliesatterly@googlemail.com

• Loved that one - it was my 1st ever! 1st half was great but the 2nd was a bit smelly with exhaust fumes. which interfered with my breathing - i normally run around Glasgow city centre but have not experienced that before! Should maybe get the road shut off to cars (emergency vehicles only) next time with plenty of warning for the locals - not completely practical but it seemed like the cars were full of friends/relatives taking photos the whole way - get a bike next time and feel the pain with the rest of us!! lol

Hill at mile 21 was a bit of a killer, but the one bang on 6 miles was the worst.. I wore a cap for that blinkered approach, but got caught out by the shriek of the girl running next to me and looked up.. argh!

£15 for a T Shirt is a bit of a joke, but hey ho it's for charity really, isn't it? Can't complain!

The rain started just as I finished, which left no time for post-run stretching and had to quickly scoff a tasty burger washed down with a can of full fat coke (blasphemy) -who should i send my complaint to?!? image

Next one for me is Loch Ness - Silva (Brazil) if you see this give me a shout for the team photos.. Your advice paid off in the end - thanks!!

• Fantastic course and a fantastic day all round. Being only my third marathon and my first time at Windermere, I was originally hoping for no better than to beat 4 hrs on account of all the things I'd read about hills. I tailored my training to take in a few more hills and felt great all the way round. My pb was 3:51 at london 2007 and I did 3:43:08 yesterday.

Organization was great, took a few minutes to get out of the car park, but that's perfectly normal at this sort of location/gathering (fields/single track roads/people still finishing)

Could there be a better smelling marathon?.......bar b q to start followed by wild garlic, pine trees and Coniston Bluebird. I did see the odd car but nothing to complain about. Much more preferable to a city centre.... loads of cars and the odd tree.

Fantastic!
  • Wow, what a weekend!

Unfortunately I arrrived at Brathay later than planned and took a while to get in and parked so never had time to catch up with any of you at the start. I think i did spot a couple of you while i was at the toilet q though. I was the one in the brown vest, for those that may have spotted me at some point.

I assume I saw Woody run past me at some point as I saw a red Horsham vest fly past but my mind wasn't with it enough to remember who had said they were wearing said vest. As for my run itself, I suffered towards the end with quite bad calf cramping and as a result one of my miles around 21/22 was a 10-minuter which forced me outside my initial target of 3:35 but I managed to stay composed enough to finish in 3:37:42, a couple of minutes inside my revised target. I have to say that I'm very hapy with the time given how hilly the course was and that I knocked 21 minutes off my PB (only 3rd marathon)

Beer tent and barbeque was good, lack of t-shirt didn't bother me and was going to part with the extra £15 but when i saw the quality of the ones they were trying to sell I kept my money in my pocket (for more beer later) Trying to leave the car park wasn't good but we took a walk for a while and came back to leave when it was quieter so no problem. Scenery was great, although I'm not sure if it was any more 'Beautiful' than the Loch Ness Marathon, but it could be that I'm being slightly impartial being Scottish! The support along the way was fantastic though, the lack of support at Loch Ness was definitely noticeable.

Stayed in a B&B overnight and drove back up to Edinburgh yesterday - overall a great weekend despite the rain which prevented us staying a bit longer.

Congratulations to everyone who finished - definitely the toughest marathon I've attempted to date but loved it!

milanos

• City fan - Thanks for the photos I've had a look but can't see any of me. Your efforts are much appreciated and I agree that in this digital age official photos are a rip off thanks again. 

Morgs - How was the massage?

Milanos - you must have been close I was only a minute or so in front of you at the finish 3:36:12

• Well done City Fan on the photos - can't see any of me, but some really nice shots nonetheless image

I'm still on a bit of a marathon high hehe - my second toe on my left foot doesn't share the enthusiasm though; its a little worse for wear.

• Woody...my massage was the most painful but in a good way  thing ever. I just had my legs done (next time I will have my back done as well I reckon) which loosened everything up nicely and made the drive home fairly comfortable...until I tried to get out of my car! I would definitely recommend it.
  •  Well done everyone for getting around on Sunday! Huge respect to everyone that made it and even more so to the 10 in 10 guys and gals!! To do that is just unbelievable, so a massive well done!

It was a my first marathon and I have to say I underestimated it big time!! Did not think it would be that 'undulating' !!!!!! Was targeting 8 min miles and 3.30 before I started but quickly realised that was ambitious and was more than happy with 3hrs 59 39 secs!!!

I'm not used to running in hills like that and it took it toll! Was on course until 17 miles and then my legs started to go big time and the last 9 miles were tough to say the least! Wanted it to be a real challenge though and that is definitely what it was!!

Have to says the support from the crowds was awesome as were the stewards and the people on the drink stations.

My only disappointment was the heavens opening at the finish!! would have liked to have hung around but was in the car and back to Ambleside after waiting 30 mins trying to get off car park!!

As I say top day though and a big thanks to the organisers and everyone involved.

See you next year! Will deffo have to add hills to training tho!!

• Poacher - DD results are usually out later in the week once they have compared results.They sent out an email to everyone who ran last year and I presume a prize for the fastest.  

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Thanks - curious to see what sort of combined times people did, and the difference between the 2 races.  Windy was pretty tough for day 2 I thought.  But compared to the TiT, the DD is child's play.
  • Flicking through the results.

1. Derek Ivens             3:12:31   3:22:57
    2. Michael Grehan      3:24:15   3:31:02
    3. Joe Hawkins (Me)  3:18:04   3:40:08
    4. Simon Illingworth  3:23:04   3:56:35

I'm not sure on these as I just looked up the times for the people I know did WP.

From last year I think around 15mins slower at Windy was about normal.

• City fan - thanks - you missed me too but you certainly captured the spirit of the event

On the subject of the District Double, I know of two others who completed

One finished just behind me on Sunday (3:50ish) and was delighted to have a combined time below 7:30 for both - I infer from that she managed 3:40 on Saturday
    In contrast, the other was moaning about doing 4:00:0x at White Peak but dipped comfortably under 4 hours on Sunday - he'd obviously been saving himself.

Finally - some more piccies - not mine but a great gallery covering the last day of the ten-in-ten.  I defy anybody to view the lot with completely dry eyes Here.  Simply outstanding

• Andy - those pics are as you say outstanding - very very insperational.  i would love to do thisrace - but the hills.....

and just a reminder for everyone else - unofficial pics can be found here  windermere pics

if you want your pic emailing you for free send me image no to 

charliesatterly@googlemail.com

• Andy - I know there are others who did it , those are who I think are the fastest four combined times. My mate did them both wearing an 8/9kg backpack in training for the Gobi march image

• had a gr8 time in windermere.  struggled in the last 6 miles, walked up the hill at 21 miles. finished with a time of 3.42. i was sick after the race n had cramps to! i was 1.5 stone heavier than the last london marathon 2 years ago, dont think that helped

Stayed in ambleside at the high field hotel 4 three nights, enjoyed a curry n pints on sunday at the tandoori

• I am so inspired by the TiT's - I just can't stop thinking about it....

• Are you tempted to go for it next year Liz?

• Yeah - i'm a bit fecked off with that.. 4 photos for £25 (2 useble) was a bit steep but had to pay since it was my first,, It seemed that the lame runners got more coverage since they were obviously walking.. I had that experience last year - looking a bit goofy with 14 photos not the sort of thing i'd pay money for.. maybe time to rethnk.. FI bib no was 978 - was going for the badboy look - didin't work! 

• A lad at work said yesterday. 26 miles? You shouldn't go that far without a car. On Monday I might have said he had a point. Today, I'm planning what to do next. You have to have have done it to know why.

Good running everybody, it's been a pleasure to speak to and in some cases meet. I'll keep an eye out in Edinburgh Joe. Say Hi if you see me.

Mike.

• Hi Guys
    And well done to everyone who took part this year

If you fancy boring yourselves silly with my 10 race reports, they are HERE

• windassisted - I must admit, I have been very tempted image
  • eL Bee...I think the biggest most massive 'well done' has to go to your good self and the rest of the TiT runners. Its difficult to put into words that give proper justice to the really amazing thing all of you have accomplished. image

• I agree with Morgs image - an amazing well done to eL Bee and all the TiT runners
  • Evening all. I ended up "aquiring" a late number for this and managed a nice 3:27:20 off not enough training. Cheers Joeimage Great to see Skippers Mate at the end as well looking happy and wet.

Next year?

• Hi all, I'm now looking for more marathons to do - I've been inspired! Can anyone recommend any in the north in the next few months? Also, I tried to run today and couldn't believe how weary my body was - plus, I felt as though I was about to pull a muscle in my thigh - is this normal after a marathon? How long should I rest for???!!! I just want to get going again . . .

Well done again to all - especially those amazing ten in ten marathon runners - unbelievably fantastic achievement!

• MillsterMillster ✭✭✭

Dave - Skipper was probably so happy because he had just had the pleasure of buying me a beer, and it was a belter image.

eL Bee - Hearty congrats from me too.  I had the added pleasure of speaking to you, or V'rap to be more accurate.  I hadn't been long finished, and asked her if she would be doing it again next year.  You'll know the answer to that one better than me, and that should surprise no-one really.  10 out of 10 for a once in a lifetime experience if you ask me. 

The unofficial pics from city fan are fantastic.  I would have been more than happy to part with some cash if there had been one of me (though it would probably have needed to have been taken sooner rather than later).  Sadly I must have been running so fast that he missed me, and though it was good to meet so many of you on the day, I hope you don't mind if I don't bother printing off your photos image

• Well done Dave

Pauline...you could do a search in the events bit. Re resting and then getting going again, I'm no expert but everyone is different and I think a 'with caution' approach is probably wise. Personally, depending how I'm feeling tomorrow I may try a short 'recovery' type plod. Otherwise I'm leaving it until the weekend.

I'm also having a bit of a 'what next?' moment image