2009 Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Kaz: I do all of my long slow runs at night so running at night doesn't really put me off at all.

ORB:  I think you're doing too much too soon. Go shorter and build the mileage rather than ploughing in at 8 miles. Sounds like you're still under the weather.

• Don't usually do any real long stuff in the evenings.  Silly really but I'm just not that comfortable doing a long one on my own in the dark.

ORB, agree with Flynn.  To come back from the flu to daily 8 mile runs is a lot.  I had a really bad cold/cough back in August and I felt dreadful for a couple of weeks after I started training again.  I was a few weeks off back to back marathons so I had to force myself to get out there but the only way I could get the mileage in was to go back to basics and do a run/walk strategy.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Still base traing, but have just hit 195m for Dec,

Targets are shifting for this, now aiming at sub 3:15 from the original 3:30

ORB when is the Orion 15 please.

•  I feel as though I'm intruding into a hallowed space! You guys are discussing your training schedules, while my thoughts are entirely on this evening's Hogmanay revelries - notwithstanding my "participation" in next Sunday's 100 Marathon Club AGM Marathon.  RFJ's mileage for December is more than a third of my total effort for 2008! 

I may have missed a posting, but perhaps Flynn... now UltraFlynn, I see!...... would let me know whether it was decided to have an ultra alongside next year's Halstead Marathon?

Enjoy your training everyone and I look forward to meeting some of you in the New Year...... before you start running and I can't catch you!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Peter, there is an ultra, see attached link ultra 

Is that due injury ref the milage, (that was my highest this year, by 1m)

Happy new year and hope there arent too many sore heads tomorrow

• Ultra Kazzaaaaah!!: It must be more difficult for ladies to go for long runs in the evening due to the safety element. I don't have the choice. If I didn't train in the evening in the week then I'd never get my long run in. 3 children pretty much mean that I don't have time at the weekend.

PETER BURNS 8: RFJ is quite correct. There is a 30 mile ultra being staged along side the usual marathon this year.

I had decided long ago that once I completed my first ultra that I would add "Ultra" to the start of my name. That done now so the name change is complete. image

Happy New Year everyone.

• Happy New Year everyone.

I will have to check this posting later today to see how "compus mentis" I was!  

I need to use the New Year as a spur to  increase (nay start!) my training. I have a schedule of runs (mainly marathons) drawn up. I need only now to run the races!  - Black Dog (April),  Dorset Villages, Halstead, and Newry (May),  Achiil Island Half (!) (July). Guernsey (stil to be decided) (August) and Dingle (September). 

• RFJ - Orion 15 is 21 March. See Orion website, link on RW website or email me for info. Cheers
  • Happy new year everyone!

Flynn, I've been thinking about having a crack at an ultra, maybe the end of the year if all goes well with the marathon distance. Its just getting the time to train for a fifty miler thats stopping me at the moment!

• Stet: I thought you had planned to do the London to Brighton last year? Did injury stop that happening?
  • Yes mate, injury stopped everything in 2008!

I've raced a couple of xc's in December and thats all since London and Halstead. Got loads of races on the calendar leading up to 2009's Halstead though.

• Hope to get to that one ORB, the only other 15 miler I'm planning is the Benfleet 15!

Also, good luck for the xc if you're running it? Orion are hosting the last round of the Essex xc league tomorrow, I can't make that one but I'll be running the Essex xc champs in Basildon the weekend after for a good lung and leg workout!

• We did the route last week and it was a good'un - all woodland with mix of mud and firm grass
  • Hi - I have enterd this one as a comeback marathon as I have been out of the marathon game for 18months.. last training was in 2007 in prep fro Blackpool June 07 - longest training run back then was a 24miler which went really well.. have done 2 mara's before - Notts 05 and Blackpool 06.

I am Suffolk based now and really want to get my running back in place this year - I love the longer distances although due to upheaval of moves and stuff 08 wasnt a great running year although I did clock up 5 half's - 2 were not great - Yorkshireman (off road/fell) and Mersea Round the Island (think I thought that was going to be easy lol) - but in the main it was slow and steady and by Oct I had some flashes of the old me back so I know it's in there

I would love to do some training with anyone who knows this course and can handle a slower runner - or a couple of reckies might be good to plan..

If anyone's up for that let me know - you can find me also on Fetch although I am trying to get back into the Runners World side of life at the moment also 

• I'm thinking of this one, although I'm slightly worried about the possibility of a hot day. In May, it could go either way, I suppose. Does anyone know if this race sells out quickly ? Or, based on previous years, could I decide quite late in the day whether to enter ?
  • In previous years we have always had entries available on the day. That's not to say that we wont sell out beforehand but if we start getting close then I would mention it here so no one misses out.

• Have entered the marathon and also applied to run the Ultra. Have any of you ultra runners out there got any tips for my training should I be one of the lucky 40. I am an ultra virgin and hoped that my normal marathon training would see me through. Is that the case?
  • I've switched from marathons to ultras and the big difference for me has been that I try to maximise the length of my runs and have cut out "junk mileage". I'm also doing alot more cardio work, mainly swimming. This week I shall only run three times but that's 8, 18.5 and 11 miles. (I also run to work but that only 1.5 miles. That adds some mileage but I don't count it)

kilbrider: I'd like to check that we have received your race entry and request for the ultra. Can you email me your details and I'll check?

• TheraThera ✭✭✭
    Forreasonsunkown - I also live in Suffolk, but near Newmarket. Probably not practical for regular running, but I was also thinking of doing a recce of the course beforehand (and load it into my garmin?). Maybe a few of us can get together?
  • I wouldn't mind a recce run. I've done the actual marathon14 times and a few recces besides but, without the guidance of marshals, I seem always to take at least one wrong turn. How fast are people going.... or (in my particular case) that should more appropriately be how slowly are they going?  I can't work it out exactly at this time in the morning but I think you have to cover around 16 miles to see the whole course (taking into account repeated sections).  I am sure we could get one or two of the locals to join and keep us right!

• Hi... just re-found this!!

Urgh!

Ok... me stuff

This will be (if I can get fit enough) my 3rd marathon although I have had a 2 year break due to a break up and moving from north back to south so my running took a major knock for the first year and then last year all sort of hit and miss.  I am back at half level now but my speed is questionable.. probably anywhere from 10:30min mile at fastest in a race to 11/12 min mile

My aim is not speed this year though - it is merely to regain my stamina and strength and whilst my goal would be to run the whole marathon time wise I am expecting anything from 4:30 to 5hrs.

So.. what does that sound like?

I think it would be really cool to do a couple of recce's.. makes the training more interesting anyhow!!

•  Sounds good. I reckon I could quicken my pace to 11 minute 30 second miling. When will this get going?  I'll see if I can get one or two (Witham Essex) club mates who are preparing for London to jog round. I'm sure there woul;d be a couple of Halstead R oad Runners who woul;d also join in.
  • TheraThera ✭✭✭
    Fab...the only thing is...if we are going to run about 16 miles of this course I'm not sure if I can do this soon!
  • The course is pretty close to where I live and so I build in parts (or all) of it during my training runs. They are late on a Wednesday night though so I doubt anyone else would want to join me. image
  • My entry will go in on pay day

• What is the cut of time for the marathon?