Options

IM France Race Reports

Comments

• Options

I'm in agreement with the majority here, and think we really ought to get the full details, it sounds like an unfortunate accident.

As stated earlier at only 4Kms peolpe were bound to be settling down etc. please also remember that in this country we drive on the left and pass on the right, therefore whilst the accident was without doubt unfortunate, a momentary lapse of concentration could result in this happening assuming of course the person was British (Don't think we have many European Pirates)

It's clear JM is dissapointed, as I think I would be too, but putting everything into perspective there are more important things in life, and there is always next year.

• Options

JM - genuinely gutted for you about the DNF - but also glad to hear you are OK - there were some rumours about some very serious injuries (casualties!) on the day. As others have said, it does sound like your crash was a racing incident and not one where fingers should be too hastily pointed. I hope you get a chance next year to look back on this with an m-dot smile.

popsider - generally, yes. However, in this particular race they decided not to hold a race briefing - and the powerpoint they sent out only said "respect the rule of the road" and "keep to the right" - I don't think it had anything in it about overtaking - http://www.ironmanfrance.com/IMFR2008_Briefing/IMFR2008_Briefing_web_EN.ppt#328,59,BIKE Rules. With 2500 athletes in a mass start, plus with the swim putting many faster cyclists further back then they'll eventually finish, then the bike leg is very, very busy and everyone needs to be careful (note that I'm not implying fault here on anyone in this incident - I've no idea if either party could have done anything to avoid this crash)

• Options

have to say T1 looked a nightmare - like some kind of biking protest or a bike traffic jam.

is it always like that?  naturally the place is deserted by the time i get to t1 

• Options
    it looked like a cross between gay pride and a critical mass protest ride!  i think it was long and thin because it went down the middle of a street.  a bit like the lanzarote one, but leaving room for cars to go past.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    T1 was alos huuuuuuge.......bar the World Oly's in Lausanne in 2006 which was measured at 1.5km for the swim out to bike exit it was the longest transition area I've ever seen because it was narrow.....
  • Options
    My report can be brief.
    My preparation was good. My swim was good - I was happy with 1:30, whatever anyone else says, I think its a respectable first IM swim, especially since I dont like the sea, and my goggles leaked. I still have no idea where I swam, the course "marking" was a joke. No jellies though!
    I had several problems on the bike. The first was the front deraillier, which pretty much stopped working. For the first 50km, when I tried to change to the big cog, it kicked the chain too far to the right, and pedalling wouldnt pick it back up again, so I had to stop and physically place the chain back on the cog. For the entire ride, changing down was variable - sometimes it would, a lot of the time it wouldnt, or it was very very slow to change. The last hill (after the out-and-back bit where the supporters were) I had to do in the big ring, cos it wouldnt change down. My second problem was obviously shared by many others, which was lack of water at the stations - I hate Poweraid so I was carrying PSP22 powder, but with nothing to mix that with, my nutrition plan went out the window.
    To set the record straight, I did a lot of training for this event. In the last 24 weeks, I have cycled over 2200 miles, swam about 145km and run about 450miles. I did several cyclosportifs, including the Kent Castle with 2200m of ascent in 100miles and an 80mile one in Wales with 2100m of ascent. I trained, and I trained and I trained. I was on my bike, all winter and all spring, at 5:45am, in the wind, and on hills. But I didnt make the cut-off. I was slow on the hills. I made the 117km one, with not much time to spare, not far behind Squish and KegKiller, but despite the pedal to the metal, and flying down the descents (I didnt find them at all difficult) I missed the final cut-off by about 10mins. The headwind on the last 20km, and the final aid station being closed didnt help there either. Yes, I'm a girl - I bawled my eyes out. I was so tired from going as hard as I could, and hoping against hope I would make it in time, that the emotional collapse was enormous.
    So, I sat and cried on the sidewalk for about 10mins. Then I remembered I was a Pirate and I hadnt come all this way to quit, so I asked for my transition bags. It took me a good while to persuade them to give me them though - the woman was adamant I wasnt allowed to carry on. But I put on my trainers, and started the marathon anyway, not really knowing how much I'd be "allowed" to do. I knew there was a 30km cut-off that by now I had no chance of making and I thought it likely they would shut down the aid stations, so I carried my Special Needs bag and tried to "store" stuff as well. I cried again on mellifera's shoulder, and when I first saw cougie, but I tried to cheer the other Pirates I saw on the course. Unfortunatley, at about 17km, I tried a Powergel, and vomitted soon after. Should have known better. So now, I was playing catch-up with my liquid and fuel, and since this was "for fun" I lost heart. I was offered a lift back in an ambulance, so I took it! This led to some confusion as I then ended up in the "hospital tent" with a shiny blanket, cos i was cold, but only cos now I'd stopped running. That was the only "medical intervention" I recieved.
    I dont know what advice I can give as I result of my DNF, except to say that just because you do the training, doesnt mean you'll finish. I followed my training plan, and I was a hell of a lot more prepared than a lot of others who did finish. I did enough. And yet it still beat me.
    But only this time.
  • Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    fa - you give it your best shot but this time and I'm sure this time alone IM bit back.....

like others who have DNF'd, you'll come back stronger with an even bigger base and nail the next one.....
  • Options

hear hear

and most importantly, obviously, you will still be eligible for the coveted Most Piratey 145.

• Options

oh that's heart rending to read.  how devestating.  still, sounds like you're ready to tear up another IM soon.  IMCH i hope.

in the meantime how about using your good condition to get a spare place at IMUK or (perhaps better) the big woody?  i think we met briefly there.  i'm sure the course will be accurate and of course challenging.  it should be fun too.

• Options
    good point, don't do IMUK then to maintain your eligibility for Most Piratey 145.  big woody won't count as they'll ballz up the distances again
  • Options
    of course it depends on whether holly agrees to hand it back or not next year.  it will be like trying to prise charlton heston's rifle out of his hands.
  • Options
    better check it's the real one and not a fake if she does hand it back.  in fact did she actually do the race?  she claims her legs are feeling fine.
  • Options
    FA - I'm sorry you DNFed. I have no words of wisdom but be very proud of what you did achieve. I'm sure you'll kick the next IM's ar$e that you enter.
  • Options

*gulp* Have quite a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes after reading this thread.....

Firstly, I think every single one of you is an absolute hero, whether you finished or DNF-ed, I have respect gushing out of my entire body.

Secondly, never have I been more sure that I want to do an IM! (my boyfriend will, actually, kill me!) I'm a little similar to DV and probably quite a few others - don't own a bike and can barely swim (well, can do breast stroke ok but not crawl at all..) but just have this crazy idea that I want to enter an IM.

The pirates sound like a truly amazing bunch of people, would love to be part of something like that...........

So erm, when's the next big pirate outing and if I buy a bike really soon will I have time to do enough training?! image One good thing is that in 4 days time I am moving house and will be a 1 min walk from my local pool so good time to crank up the swimming...

Thanks again to all of you for massive inspiration and sorry about the long babbling post (afraid I'm a bit bad for that.....)

Tutu Much x 

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    go check out the IM Switzerland 2009 thread - that will be the bigger of the 2 outings next year..

and - yes - of course it's doable if you start training soon - over 12 months to go
  • Options

Flyaway - so sorry you got a DNF, never met you but that report made me just want to give you a hug.

KK - glad you are ok and in one piece to write your very honest report.

Hopefully you'll both come back stronger from the unfortunate experience.

• Options
    sign up for ironman switzerland, a bit easier than France in terms of hilliness and MUCH more supporter friendly.  lots of laps, and they don't fence in the runners.  although the seafood in Zurich is pants
  • Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    ((fa)), thanks for the report. we were gutted for you but I'm sure that things will be different next time.
  • Options
    Carefull candy, you'll get barlist on your back again about promoting the easyness of Switzerland!
  • Options
    FA  I guess some days it goes well and others it doesn't   not sure why but I'm sure your come back stronger..................................
  • Options

Thanks for the comments everyone... have already checked out the Switzerland website image EVEN just ran it by my boyfriend who took it surprisingly well... well, his comments were along the lines of "you have to do what you want to do..."! It's the best I'm going to get I think...

Thanks again everyone and I won't hog this thread asking questions (I have about a zillion) but will maybe, hopefully, see some you over at the Switzerland thread!  

• Options

Swam a bit quicker than last year.
    Biked a bit quicker than last year.
    Ran a lot quicker than last year.

Azur were.

• Options
    LOL CRAB, I was just settling down to a good long read image
  • Options
    CRAB, your bum on race day was one on the highlights of the weekend!
  • Options
    Not when you had to share a room with him!!!!!!
  • Options
    Flyaway - it was harsh that you DNF'd, buy you win my award for Bravest Girl - so you cried a bit? So what. It was fecking hard out there and you did great. I saw you at the Ruthin cyclesportif and you put in a great time there. (((Hugs)))
  • Options

Swam a bit (but mainly got punched and kicked)
    Biked a bit
    Walked alot

• Options

What is it with the swim that makes people become violent...?   ok.. so, accidents will happen and people will knock into each other but deliberate punching and kicking, head pushing under water.. etc...    image