IM France Race Reports

Comments

• It's worse in an american IM. They are really violent.
  • great report mate, well done too, I take it that was a 2nd then ?? kept that quiet as well you shark !
  • There was a very strong chance of DNF so no point in building things up.

8 started, 3 pulled out on the swim, one on the run, 4 finished.

oh, video and photo's on the site 

• So 3rd from last then?

Fair effort son.

As you were.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    nice little wander around the Highlands there Mr F

freaking well done mate - excellent result - but fancy passing up on fish and chips......you must have been ill image
  • Blimey IMS..  that is amazing!   Well done..  image

• (((Flyaway))) Just read your race report for second time and still made me cry. x

• Hey you're back!!!  I need to talk to you about the weekend.  image
  • Yes no problem, will ring tonight, meant to last night but was tired and then had a few glasses of wine so that was the end of that! Will ring later xx
  • FlyAway - you are a true hero. I honestly couldn't imagine being able to get up and start the run in that situation.

I'll keep my race report short..... got my goggle kicked off twice on the swim and was completely blinded by the salt water. Had no idea where I was going. At one point I decided to swim for a safety boat so that I could stop and sort my goggles out... but fought my way to the edge of the pack only to find there were no boats for miles.. adn thenon the second loop couldn't get away form the boats!

Coming into T1 Jj told me that Eccentric was 2mins ahead... quickly put on shoes and helmet and ate my farleys rusk before heading out at a bit of a pace hoping to catch Eccentric not realising that he was still in T1 doing his hair!
    The bike was hot and hilly, saw quite a few pirates that can swim out on the course. Got annoyed at the first aid station to find the water was in plastic bottles which wouldn't stay in my bottle cage so I found myself on that long climb with just half a bottle of energy drink, almost made the mistake of not drinking it because I didn't want to runout!
    It's a fantastic bike course, just beautiful up there in the mountains and then the decent started......

Quite early on in the long decent I had an unfortunate incident with a small bird... I was doing about 30mph when it flew straight into my arm then droped to the road and I managed to run it over with my back wheel. Some time later one of the medic bikes drew up along side me and asked if I needed assistance, it was only then I realised that there was blood all down my arm! Luckily a quick squirt of water removed most of it and I was able to work out that it must have belonged to the bird as there was no hole in me!
    Not long after that I drew alongside a guy eating a cheese and ham bagette - I may have managed to recruit him to be a Pirate next year.
    Finaly bit of the bike I pushed quite hard and came into T2 with a smile cause I was really pleased with my split time image

• Then onto the run.... this is where I reaslised the importance of doing bricks in training..... I haven't done any! I set off running anyway thinking that I could just run through the strange "just of fthe bike" feeling... but it only took me far enough to get past the pirate supporters before I had to walk and have a think about how to do the run. So it was run walk from the start for me on that marathon but that was ok - the goal had always been to break 13 hours at Nice and I had plenty of time for that.

The heat of the sun out on the course was unbareable, I could feel myself burning but also felt really cold and started to shiver. My stomack was unhappy and I couldn't work out what it wanted. I knew I wasn't dehydrated as I'd peed on the bike several times and  was continually doing so on the run - my trainers stink!
    I went for crackers and that stale cake which took about 3 hours to chew - I saw this as a good thing as it gave me an excuse to walk for longer!

I know I am always really grumpy when I race but I was trying to make an effort to be a bit more cheery. I did say hello or wave to all the other Pirates I saw on the course but sorry to the supporters for being so agressive about wanting sunblock - I know pain is no excuse but I knew I couldn't wait till the next time I passed you.
    I think I was on my second lap when I caught Eccentric on his first, we walked a little way together and then I left him, thankfully before he threw up!
    So the run went on and on, I had a long chat with GOM at the far end of the course on lap 3 and still the sun was hot and I was burning. And on and on it went..... and it was getting a bit dull out at the far end which appeared to be getting further away each lap.

The finally I had my three bands and was allowed up the finish shoot to finish image

Then it was the usual drill... drink, massage, strip off and jump up and down naked whilst trying to get my trousers on!

Then I headed back out onto the course to wait for Eccentric. I think it was about 13.15 when a couple of people told me he'd be along soon so I waited just near the turn off to the finish shoot.... and then I got some idea of how hard it is to be a suppoter. I was trying to cheer on everyone who passed me. Quite a few people passed with 2 wrist bands who were walking, saw me wearting my medal and started to run again saying "I want one of those!" and everyone on their last lap I encouraged to run the final bit.
    I was starting to feel a bit rough and had to sit on the floor wishing I'd got some food with me. I was a little concerned that I might pass out whilst sat there but then Ecentric appeared and I made him sprint for the finish.

Managed to get back out on the course just in time to see Debbo and Holly come over the line and then went up into the stands to join the pirate crowd nervously watching the clock waiting for Meldy.  

So a good day in the office for me... but I could have done without that sun. The burning has stopped now but I'm feeling pretty rough today.... will be off to the shop in a second to get some ice cream which I'm hoping will fix everything!

• Great stuff. Vanilla is the way forward.
  • I thinking the cadbury flake one might do the trick!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭

yum

I had some great ice cream yesterday in Nice old town - I can't believe I didn't get that far before yesterday - sooooo much nicer than that noisy smelly other bit where we all were all week

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    of course I'm on a quest now to be a racing snake so no ice cream for me really
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭

I don't do reports usually as I can't be arsed, but I'll try

Slept really badly the night before, unusually for me, and had one of my normal 'high anxiety' dreams which involves planes crashing into the sea - they didn't cancel the swim though.

Went to the start with Crashie, Squish and BtS, got sorted, met Holly and Melds and decided to break with tradition and not start the swim with Melds - went into the 1.18 pen with Holly instead.  The swim was weird - I had no idea where I was going for most of it, until I was nearly at a buoy, and there was no sense of a stream of people all swimming in one direction - there just seemed to be a sea full randomly moving.  Avoided any punchups though, but stopped a lot to try and see the buoys.  at one point a helpful frenchman tapped me on the shoulder as I was peering into the distance and pointed at  a buoy.  I swam alongside Lindi for a while and then had a quick chat with Holly who said she was being beaten up and was hating it.  Got out in 1.17 on my watch - fastest ever, but the results say 1.18.

Actually ran in transition to catch Holly for a quick chat, then out on the bike to begin the relentless being overtaken thing that happens to me in all IM races.  It was great to see the pirate names on the road on that first steep climb.  The next bit was great and I even found myself thinking I might do this race again.  Hah!  The big climb was brutal and I was going as slowly as I could without toppling over and my HR was still way too high.  That killed me - my calves were cramping and my quads were cramping and after that I couldn't work hard enough to get my HR up as I'd overcooked it on the big climb.  The rest of the bike was a mental battle and I fear that if the helpers at the aid stations where I stopped to cry had paid any attention whatsoever I might not have carried on.  I'm glad they were all disinterested really.

The pirate support on the out and back bit was fantastic and kept me going for a while.  The downhill sections were fun, but I'm too much of a wimp to really enjoy them.  Slogged into T2, still wondering if I'd be able to run.

• So here goes, I’ll try and keep it brief:

Swim

Don’t think I have ever felt so nervous before a race. Switched on my HRM and was slightly shocked to see I was at 120bpm before I even started. Once we were off it was not too bad, and I had a pretty decent time of it. There was probably a bit too much faafing about wondering whether I was on course, as I seemed to be so pretty much all of the time. Really enjoyed the swim for once, and came out feeling pretty good in 1hr 16 which was 9 minute improvement on Zurich. T2 took 11 minutes, but there was no way I was pushing it….

Bike

Having ridden the course a couple of times before I knew what to expect, and the plan was to take it easy as possible and not die on the run, as I knew this would be possible, especially in the heat. The course is just spectacular, and I would recommend anyone looking for a weekend away cycling to head to this part of the world and ride the course.

Getting on the bike I developed a terrible stitch which came and went for the next 3 hours or so, but was worse on the flat, as when I got in the aerobars it intensified. Sitting up on the climbs wasn’t too bad, and overall I was passing people on the climbs, which always feels good! Good to see the pirate support on the out and back, made me so happy to be racing in the yellow and black.

I really need to learn to descend though, as the people I was riding past on the climbs were just coming back on the downhills. Had also put the Planet X recommended brake pads for carbon rims rather than the ones I had used for ½ TTman when I had temporarily misplaced the originals. Won’t be doing that again as they were very grabby and noisy as feck.

Eventually just cruised back into Nice in a total of 6hr39. Was hoping for 6hr30, but still pleased enough with that. Didn’t feel dead.

• Run

This is where it really did hurt a little bit! I worked out that to get under 12 hours I would have to run about 3:45 on the marathon, which was always going to be sketchy as my pb is only 3:17. In Amsterdam. On an overcast day. At 12 degrees. Nonetheless I set off at 3:45 pace to give it a go, only walking to drink water and a coke, and running through the rest of the aid stations. It really was brutal and I started to slow down pretty much immediately, and by half way it was pretty clear sub 12 was no longer on the cards. Next goal down was 12:15 and a sub 4 marathon so I readjusted expectations and carried on as best I could. I was really feeling the heat and my legs were roasting but the support of Mrs WHWH and mini WHWH about half way down the course and the yellow and black posse kept me moving. Racing in pirate kit has to be worth 30 mins on the course just for being part of something bigger out there and the support that you get and it was brilliant to be able to target the boost that I knew I would be getting at the end of each lap. Thank you so much…..

Finally the end came in sight and I got over the finish line in 12:11:11, with a 3:57 marathon. Really pleased with that, but my god it hurt. I don’t think I have ever tried so hard in my life, as was evidenced when I got over the line and the missus got into the finish area and I just burst into tears. Not the most impressively manly of reactions but unavoidable…..

Into the athletes post finish area and I was collapsed on the floor until finally Hollywood persuaded me to get up and walk it off. Thanks for that, or I would probably still be lying there.

A cup of Bouillon later and I made it back to our apartment where I finally managed solid food (camembert and saucisson, I had so much done carbs by this point….) and my first beer for 6 months.

All in all I was really happy with the whole thing, and it was a great place for family hols too. Seeing old and new pirate faces made the whole thing even better and just reminded me what a great institution they are……..

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    have to say WHWH that you were looking good on the run - you just seemed to have this inane grin on your face as you plodded away at a good steady pace - well done mate, good result.....
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭

T2 was as long as T1, strangely.  Of course being a slow biker meant I had to go for miles with my bike, so I took my shoes off which was SUCH a relief as my feet had been really sore for most of the bike.  I had no socks on and when I got to the end of the carpet I nearly burnt the soles of my feet off and had to retreat and put my shoes back on.  Ouch.

I decided I'd start the run and see how my legs were.  Amazingly the pain disappeared and I couldn't even feel the huge blister on the top of my toe from my bike shoe.

My legs were goosed though and I think I ran less than in any other IM I've done.  It was a struggle, but the pirate support was fantastic.  I've never seen so many people walking though.

I caught up with Pebble on my first lap when I was still able to hobble.  I had spotted him wandering aimlessly through the palm trees up by the airport fence toilet area (phew that was smelly) and he kept saying 'it's too hot for us celts isn't it debs' and 'I'm packing it in after this one'. 

I spent most of the run with Holly, who was marching at a fearsome pace.  I could only keep up by running a bit and then walking at my pace, and she'd catch me, and then I'd run again.  On the last lap I suddenly thought I could run as the pain in my legs was going so I hobbled as best I could.

It was so good having pirate support out on the run course - oxy and zilla were both there at different points, and melli was particularly encouraging.  Mrs Pebble gave me some sun cream too, and was lovely.

I can safely say I've never done a race as hard as that.  Before sunday I had thought I couldn't possibly do an IM as slow as Germany ever again, but I was 20 odd minutes slower on sunday, and 2.20 slower than my last one. 

The bike course was absolutely beautiful though - I couldn't believe it.  Especially around the big climb.  It was also great to have so many pirates, and others, going past on the bike with supportive and cheery words.  I think if I'd been in Nice on my own I wouldn't have finished.  The pirates are something special.

Thanks guys!

• FB

I can assure you that the grin was reserved for the end of the course where the support was. I was less of a happy camper up by the airport............

• It will be a shortish one as there are many more to be written yet.

Swim- Saw two jellyfish the whole time, they were sensibly avoiding a kicking by being about a metre below the surface. On the whole I stayed out of trouble and probably covered about 5k, it being impossible to sight and the field was fanned out incredibly wide. Was glad to get a bit of a breather after the first lap. The second shorter lap went quickly and I found I didn't need the flip flops stuffed in my wetsuit as the run though was carpeted. Pleased to run under the gantry in under 1:15

Bike- Went ok, had a nutrition plan of foamy mushrooms, a few bananas, iso drink, and a lava salt every half hour. Had my rubbish patch between 40 and 70 miles when I just didn't feel like I was making progress. Stuck to the lava salts though and even at 100 miles was thinking I have got this right today. The climbs were long but not strenuous, was over cautious on the ascents after my accident in Grand Forno and seeing a few casualites confirmed that mishaps weren't out of the question. Bike time didn't know till finish as hadn't started my Garmin immediately. Was 6:45:28

Run- Spent a bit of time in transition sorting my feet out ready for the run, and having a wee in the chair as I was doing it (to save time). Plenty of support en route including the highly visible pirate group- and really never being out of sight of another pirate for more than a few minutes. Kept to the lava salt plan until the last lap. Worked out to do sub 12 I needed to gain 8 minutes plus do each lap in under an hour, by the end of the second lap I had made up the time. Third lap was the hardest, but not the slowest just felt difficult. Managed what I ought to be able to do which is run throughout and only stop to pick up a drink. Knee was fine throughout so rather pleased about that 3:44:55 marathon

Overall very pleased with my nutrition and the stories of seeing the heat take it's toll are familiar to me (both Germany and Switzerland I have had terrible runs). It is a case of working out what works and that can take a few races. The difficult factor for all the uk pirates had been that we have had no heat to train in. I have done two long rides in shorts, all the rest have been fully Wintered up, so it was always going to be hard. Although the hills weren't of Dales Etap sclae they were longer than the oneswe ride over here so they take their toll on pace.

Anyone doing this for the first IM should know that Switzerland next year will be much easier. I wILL be sorry not  to be doing it as I am hoping to do the deca so need to focus on that. (I have to defer to my "sponsor").

• Oh and congrats Spartacus (didn't twig on straight away it was you!)
  • Wow, reports from Debbo, Lindi, WHWH and Monique really make clear what a brutal day it was - huge well dones y'all. CRAB and Doozer nice and succinct!!  Could someone please post a photo of CRAB's bum so I can see what all the fuss is about?

IM Spartacus, you kept that one close to your chest, sounds like a wonderful race, kudos to you.

• Can I just say that Crab is not just pretty but incredibly kind, he shot over at the finish and got me sat down with all the right food and beer, really appreciated after I had sent Dave off to the hotel with my bike (it took ages to work out where it was and I was feeling none too clever by the time I got through to the food).
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭

Mel - CRAB had 'as you were' on his bum - in very small letters of course to match his very small bum

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

Once again, I found myself on the start line of an Ironman, why does this keep happening? In my mind I had a few targets, some semi serious, one frivolous.

Armed with my new wetsuit I felt confident for the swim, target time was under 70 minutes which I felt was possible if I kept my head down and swam smooth all the way round. I had told a friend that I was going to beat Laurent Jalabert the ex pro biker out of the swim and I guessed that I needed to get under 70 mniutes to achieve this.

Felt very nervous when on start line but don’t suppose any different from the other competitors. Spoke to a few team mates on start line trying to calm nerves but everyone really wanted to get on with job in hand.

Then we were off, normal bumpy swim with bangs to head, people trying to swim on top of me and someone managed to get me in the nads with their foot, but I let none of this put me off my stroke taking care not to work at all hard, just swimming smoothly. Water was lovely and blue and when not being attacked by other people really enjoyed trip round. I knew to swim sub 70 mins I needed to be around 44 mins for first 2400 metres, so was well surprised when looked at watch at it was around 41 :50 secs. I now knew that as long as I just cruised round at sub 70 was going to happen, no need to push at all. Eventually got out of water in  65 miutes 57 secs. Looking back at results I see that Jalabert posted around 66 minutes 50 seconds, so job done there.

Into T1, sat down with Hollywoof and wasted about 10 minutes  talking  and deciding on what sunscreen to apply and other general faffing about. No problem though, still out on bike around 75 minutes, best part of 15 hours to complete rest of race surely no problem at all.

• Thanks for the feedback everyone and great reports from everyone else. I'm almost always quite honest and not much of a bullshitter about this stuff. In fact, when I took my polygraph exam for work last year I was told I'm a terrible liar. It was very hot that day for sure and not a day to show up having done no training, especially given that I have no natrual cycling talent at all.

I'm in Germany now enjoying the rest of my holiday and I managed to force down some beers last night so I'm doing well. I tried to talk IMp into IMCH and he just asked if there was a US one to do instead. So no joy there. Most likely I will support at IMCH but I'll bring my bike so I can blag the oly.

For the others tha DNF'd, I'm proof you cna show up trained for an IM and still not finish (IMDE and IMFL). It does take a little bit of luck sometimes so don't be discouraged. Just keep plugging away and you'll get one. Even I managed to finally finish one. image

Rosey and Melissa, I'll look into seeing if I can come support when you race back in the US.
  • Brilliant reports folks.

Amazing endurance IM Spartacus, from you and your support crew!