Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Brief running history:

I started running a couple of years ago after a decade of inactivity. I had never run before, I hated it at school but I wanted to do the Bupa Great Manchester Run. The sense of achievement at completing it and within my target time of 1 hour (I came in at 59:56) was immense and I have subsequently done the Manchester run in 52:12, 43:14 and 40:20. I would like to run longer distances but the thought of hours of pavement plodding bores me.

Reason why we should train you:

I would like some help to formulate a training regime which would improve my running distances and hopefully lose weight at the same time; I'm not really built for running, pushing 14 stones. One of the things I find myself hampered with is my diet, I don't like fruit, veg or salads so I would love to have the opportunity to work with experts to optimise my nutrition. I have plenty of stamina and enthusiasm but little technical knowledge.

Half-marathon goal:

Completion - sub 100 minutes would be nice. 

• Name: Michael Longford

Brief running history: I started seriously running when I was 15 and haven’t looked back since! After a few months I saw the advert for the Royal Marines with the slogan 99.99% need not apply, and thought hmmm I wonder. So just after my 16th birthday I was down at Lympstone, Devon been thrown in the mud (there’s a sewage factory right next door by the way) and running seemingly endless distances. Was the hardest thing I’ve ever done but was so proud of myself when they said I had passed.

I’m now at college and manage to fit in quick 10km runs between lessons (normally get an hour free, try to fit in a complete workout and a shower with it as well), and go on ever changing trail runs around forests and the country side (never plan my route, I just run until I’m completely lost and then try and find my way back).

Reason why we should train you: I think you should train me because I’m someone you can really push to the limits, but I need guidance to reach them. I always have a bottle of Lucozade with me when on my runs, only thing keeping me going sometimes, so it would be an amazing opportunity to actually represent them. I would also really enjoy keeping track of how I’m doing and letting everyone know my progress.

Half-marathon goal: This would be my first half marathon, so sub 1:30!

• Name: Lesley Clay

Brief running history: I have been running for about 16 years with 10 marathons and numerous halves and 10K's.  I have only done a few races in the last couple of years with a very slow marathon last year

Reason why you should train me:  I have got much slower in the last few years especially now I have passed 50, put on another few pounds and started working full time.  Maybe I am being totally unrealistic but I think that with the right training, motivation and diet I really could achieve the times I did a few years ago. They weren't that good - or at least I didn't think so at the time but I did used to place occasionally if not too many people turned up!

Half marathon goal: 1.45

• Name; Sean Grosvenor

Age; 36

Running History; Started running in April 2007 after wife completed the London Marathon, I went to the Expo and Nike fitted me with a pair of trainers because I have arthrithus in my hips and was unable to run more than 1 mile with out pain! Then after using the new trainers I completed the Cardiff half marathon in 1:25 and entered the London Marathon and managed a 2:58 in my first attempt with out any secific training!

Reason why you should train me: I need a good coach to try and hone my skills as I am a cyclist at heart;-)

Half Marathon Goal 1:20 would be awesome

Thank you Sean Grosvenor 

• Brief running history
    I believe I am a shining example of someone who has gone from literally not being able to run for 1 minute, to be able to run a half marathon in a relatively short space of time.

I started running in December last year having been terrified into doing some exercise by the fact that I turned 40 in November and I didn't want to enter 'middle age' feeling unfit and fat!

A few weeks into starting, I decided to enter a 10k in February as a goal to keep me going. (I am notoriously bad at sticking to anything!) As the 10k approached and my running was steadily improving, I decided to go for broke and entered the Bath Half Marathon in March as well.

I'm no speed merchant, but I completed the 10k in 1hr6 mins, and finished the Half Marathon in 2hrs 23mins - my goal was simply to get round without dying, and raised over £600 for CLIC Sargent!
    I followed a Runners World programme I found on the site and trained by myself.

Why you should train me
    I'm now six months into running and really enjoying it. I now run with a couple of other girls once a week which helps the motivation and my other runs I do on my own. I've entered the Bristol Half Marathon in September and I would love a more formal approach to training to get me into shape for another Half Marathon.

My (post 3 children) figure has improved, but could do with alot more improvement, as has my diet (but again, could do with some more help!).
    I am just an ordinary mum who 'didn't have time to exercise' who now runs 2-3 times a week and would love to be galvanised into doing some more. To fit in enough runs into my week, twice a week I go before anyone gets up at 6.15am to be back in time to get the kids ready for school and do the school run.

I am comitted to improving and my ultimate goal would be to run the London and/or New York marathons. I don't know what my time goal should be - i would like to improve on my time for the Bath Half so any training and advice I can get would be great.

PLEASE pick me as I think I could inspire other non-exercisers to get out there and have a go!
  • Name: Rhiannon Silson

Brief History: Iv competed for school since yr7 but never did any training until 6th form when i also joined a running club. Since then I have made big improvements i completed my first GNR in 2006 in 2.06 in 2007 in 1.36 and in sheffield this yr i got a pb of  1.29 which was amazing doin a sub 1.30 as i hadnt done any specific training for it. As a result i am now ranked 5th U20 female in the uk. I would like to increase this ranking and get another PB this yr in the GNR

Reasons why you should train me: Im really keen and willing to push myself and i would like to see how fast I can actually get! Meeting Liz would be a fantastic oppertunity. Id like to see what a difference the right training and nutritional guidence would do. I LOVE runningimage. Id love one day to gain an elite starting position.

Half Marathon Goal: To beat my PB hopefully 1.25

• Name: Laura Justham

Brief running history: I initially began running in 2001 in an aim to lose weight and get healthy. I went from 14 stone to 9 stone and ran the Great South Run to celebrate. I fell away from running between 2003 and 2007 but over the past year I have really caught the bug again and I have now completed two 10Ks, two half marathons and one full marathon (Edinburgh 2008).

Reason why we should train you: I am certain that my incentive to begin running is one which is shared by many people. I feel that I would be a good ambassador for the sport and that I might be able to help motivate some people who have similar aims as I did when I first started out. I am not a fast runner and I will never be considered an elite athlete. My half marathon PB is 1:54 and my marathon time was 3:56. However I love running and I want to share that with anyone who’s willing to listen!!

I think you should chose to train me because although I have attempted to monitor what I am doing and go about things in a scientific manner (with Garmin GPS and attempts at training schedules) I am sure there is plenty of room for improvement. I find myself falling into similar training patterns of doing what I enjoy and I am certain I have not reached my full potential.

Half-marathon goal: A new PB (of course) but how about a proper challenge of sub 1:45?!?

• Hi guys

Thanks to all of you who've posted your nominations so far - do keep them coming, and don't forget you can always second someone else's nomination too!

Catherine RW
  • Hi, I just got more into running fairly recently. I've always gone for the odd run here and there but nothing constructive. So I find myself running further and more frequently than before and enjoying myself very much. I entered a trail race ( the Ilkley 6.9 ) and did far better than I expected (26th with a time of 50 minutes) which I thought was OK. I'm 38 by the way.

I want to increase my distance and am looking to run a half marathon, then a full one and hopefully, legs willing, onto Ultra distance. 

The concept of training to run, rather than running to train, is a new one for me but something I'd like to explore. I'm aware of how much more can be achieved by training properly and this seems a unique opportunity to go through a process of learning how to do just that. I've dabbled with nutrition and various energy drinks etc. I think I have it in me to run a half marathon in a good time given the proper training schedule and I'd really like to follow a structured programme just to see what a difference it would make.

Also, on a more non-running front, I like the idea of putting down my experiences on paper for others to read. It is very appealing as I like writing ( I have some unfulfilled journalistic tendencies I think ) and I can't think of anything better to write about than something I enjoy.

Anyway, I accept all your conditions and hope I'm what you are looking for.

Thanks,  Ian

• I have only generally been a fun runner through my life as my main sporting passions were hockey and snowboarding. I managed to get my basic snowboard instructors badge in New Zealand but unfortunately smashed my ankle up by riding into a hidden tree stump !!!

I have also now got arthritus in my toes from my overindulgence in these sports which is pretty painful, but not going to stop me exercising !!!

I have always wanted to do the Great North run as I was born in Geordieland and is on my "things to do before I die" list !!! I recently did the Leeds 10k but could hardly walk fo 2 days after due to badly fitting shoes, arthritic toes and probably generally bad training...

I would love to be chosen to run the Great North Run as I would truly appreciate the opportunity and with the right coaching, training and equipment believe that this baby could be well and truly ticked off that list !!!

• Okay, I hope this post works. I'm 30 and I've been a runner for a year. I hated PE at school and after losing some weight with Rosemary Conley I started teaching aerobics a few years ao. When I moved for work from Warrington to Liverpool a few years ago the weight piled back on, I needed exercise that fitted into my hectic life.

To give you an idea what that means, I work full time in Marketing for Merseyside Sports Partnership and at the weekends and during some evenings I play in a Brazilian Samba Reggae band - Batala Liverpool.

I find it hard to fit the training in, but I do it. Currently that means putting the dinner on and doing sit ups and press ups in my lounge until the timer bleeps. Running after work at Mossley Hill Athletics Club, who are really friendly and supportive, and on my own twice a week which is really difficult.

I  train 4 times a week currently and hope to up my mileage to 30 miles a week before the 1/2 marathon. I would love to win this competition as it would give me an extra incentive to make my work colleague and training guru Natalie Woodford very proud. She was the person who made me start treading the pavements last year and I can't thank her enough.

• Name: Robin Woollam 

Brief Running History: I'm a relative beginner to this whole running thing, having just done my first 10k (the Jane Romlinson 'Run for all' - what a fantastic event, 57 mins), though have been running fairly regularly for the last few months.

Reason why you should train me: Why me? Why not!  I'm really keen to step up in distance to a half marathon, and ultimately do the London Marathon, so I need all the help I can get. I'm normally really guilty of reading all these training schedules, tips, etc, but nor really following them properly, so some enforced structure would do me the world of good! I think I'm probably a bit like a lot of people early in their running career - when I'm out running, I love it, but sometimes when I'm on the way home from work, TV, the sofa and a cup of tea can feel quite appealing!

Half Marathon Goal: Well, in theory just to get round! But if I'm honest, I'd love to do it in under 2 hours.

• Brief running history: Have started, stopped, started, stopped (you can go for as long as you want here...)running for the past couple of years.

You should choose to train me if you like a challenge as I'm the original "sits & dreams of running but doesn't actually do a lot of it" type...

Half-marathon goal: To actually complete it in less than 3:48 (which was my time last year at the Cardiff Half when I laughingly thought that it would motivate me if I entered...)
  • Hi

My name's Mike Davies

Brief running history:  Well I started not that long ago at my brother-in-law's 40th birthady party.  After too much we agreed to do the NY mararthon together (with our wives supporting by spending the money shopping).  My first run ever was a 5m (thing it was 5k when I entered) and I thought I would die! I have increased the distance but anything over 10m is a problem  - I am diabetic and need to keep my glucose up (but not too high).  Lucazade could be the magic way...

Reason why we should train you:  To step up to 13.1m (and beyond) while keeping my glucose "normal"

Half-marathon goal:  Completion in under 2hrs (ideally closer to 1.40) with a normal blood glucose during and at the end as a platform to go on for longer.  Thanks.

• Hi

My name's Mike Davies

Brief running history: Well I started not that long ago at my brother-in-law's 40th birthady party. After too much we agreed to do the NY mararthon together (with our wives supporting by spending the money shopping). My first run ever was a 5m (thing it was 5k when I entered) and I thought I would die! I have increased the distance but anything over 10m is a problem - I am diabetic and need to keep my glucose up (but not too high). Lucazade could be the magic way...

Reason why we should train you: To step up to 13.1m (and beyond) while keeping my glucose "normal"

Half-marathon goal: Completion in under 2hrs (ideally closer to 1.40) with a normal blood glucose during and at the end as a platform to go on for longer. Thanks.
  • Brief running history: I have been running for 2 and a bit years following life-changing death in the family. Slowly (very slowly!)going from strength to strength. Couldm't even run the school cross country years ago and always hated running!

Reason why we should train you: I would love proper, professional support - there's no greater motivator! Need a big push to get me to the next level.

Half-marathon goal: Sub 2 hours, preferably around 1.45 if I had the proper support! If not, I'll just be happy to finish - a great experience.

Thanks for the chance.
  • Names: Nick Hart

Running history - got an e mail asking to do GNR one day afetr never having run a day in my life, entered ran it and loved it. Three years later I am from a 40" waist to a 28" waist and am now running ultra marathons and fell races on a regular basis and train at least six days a week.

Reason to train me - I am committed to my running but can lack structure to my week 

this is the race that started a love affair with running for me and i would love to be able to run it in about 1.10-1.15.

• Name: Rose Todhunter

Brief running history: I have run as a 'serious fun' runner for several years. However in Feb. 2004 I had to have a tumour removed from my lung. A third of my right lung was removed and I spent my convalesence telling people that I would run the Great North Run; it became the goal that kept me going. Five months after my operation I completed the Great North run in 2 hours 28 mins.(Raising over £500 for Cancer research). I have run the Great North every year since, completing 2007 in 2 hours 8 mins. I run three times a week and have joined a running club 15 months ago. For cross training I also swim and cycle. I am in One Life triathlon club and recently completed Keswick triathlon of 750m open water swim + 40k bike + 10k fell run. I hence know the importance of refuelling and use of energy products.

Reason why you should train me: I am committed to running and training entering 12 -20 events per year. I have got the miles in my legs but am lacking in speed as I still can't consistently run faster than 9 min. mile pace and am unsure what the best way to improve would be. I hope that my battle against cancer will inspire others, before the lung tumour I also had a malignant melanoma (skin cancer) on my arm removed, to set personal goals and make lifestyle changes.

Half marathon goal: To break that elusive 2 hour mark, having improved from 2:28 to 2:08 in four years.
  • Hi Catherine RW!!!

Can I please second Roslyn (from page 1).

She's a recent and very welcome member of the Great North Run forum and even though she's only been posting with us for a few months (compared to some of us 'oldies') she has fitted in so well by always giving us a lot of support and encouragement and always with a 'virtual' smile on her face!

One day, just after she started posting, she described where she lived and although it sounded wonderfully peaceful and scenic it really hit home how lucky we townies are.

Can you imagine not even having a running shop anywhere near where you live? She has recently had to buy 4 different pairs of trainers from the internet in order to try them out as she can't even get basic advice on which trainers are the right ones for her. She's already mentioned the weather where she lives which is totally extreme compared to what most of us have to deal with.

Please consider her very seriously as I really feel that she would get so much out of winning this and I'm sure she won't let RW down!

(Hi Roslyn btw!!)

• Name Andrew O'Brien (37)

Brief running history I've been running since February 2007: although I made a slow start plodding round the block for ten minutes under the cover of night, it was still enough for me to catch the bug, and now it's an essential part of my life! Currently I'm running 20 miles a week, just above 8 minute miles. Intending to run FLM in 2009 by hook or by crook, and would love to run the Great North Run for the atmosphere, as a personal milestone, and also as my first race!

Reason why you should train me I'm doing just about okay heading out under my own steam on my morning runs, or doing 5kms on the treadmill, but some structure would really encourage me to push myself that bit harder to achieve what I'm really capable of. I think I probably run comfortably within myself most of the time at the moment!

Half marathon goal Two hours would be great!

• Jon Coupland

Brief running history: Not a great deal of history!! Started running about a year ago and up until then had never really run further than the off licence. Decided that I wanted to get fit when a friend challenged me to run a local 10K and that was it!! Completely hooked....half a dozen 10K's later (the most recent in 43 minutes) and the Sheffield Half Marathon and the White Peak Half Marathon (1 hour 35) and a loss of 3 stones there is no looking back!!! Who would have thought that a year could make such a difference!

Reason why we should train you: All my knowledge with regards to training schedules etc. is self taught and learnt from the Runners world website and magazine. I have progressed with leaps and bounds but need help with speed training.

Half-marathon goal: Break the 90 minute marker would be fantastic!

• I would love to do this run, I have watched it on TV several times and the emotion & commitment from the runners is tangible even over the airwaves, and I want to be part of it!!

I did Nottingham last year, and have to say the start was very emotional too.

In summary, I will out everything I can in to doing this event, I SOOO want to do it!!!

Cheers

Rob

• Name: Mike Dalgarno

Brief running history: Started running last year after I stopped smoking and wanted to get fit (and raise money for Charity). When I first started I couldn't even run 1km, and I always seem to get stuck around the 10km so this year's challenge is definitely gonna be the half marathon.

Running is a big change to my life overall. Taken into account that I never did sports at school (I always skivved), to suddenly take up running at enjoy it!!!

I have participated in a 5 mile and four 10km races. The only person I complete with is myself. I always want to do better, hence this next challenge in running

Reason why we should train you: I have never done a half marathon, so am sh*t scared

Half-marathon goal: Apart from just completing it? I would ideally like to cross the finish line within 1 hour 45 minutes

• Brief running history: IDespite being useless at sport as school (hiding in the bushes and taking short cut in cross-country) I started running 3 years ago when I had to move from the country into the town. I find running ideal for destressing, socializing as well as bringing out my competitive edge. After running my first marathon at London in 2007, I have done 3 more marathons (between 4.29 and 4.46). Even though I am 51, I am always up for a challenge, even going for a complete career  change this year (training as a Maths teacher!).

Reason why we should train you: I have concentrated on longer distances but need some serious help to work on half marathons. I finish in about 2.15, but always with the feeling that I could have kept going (proof I've got the pace wrong?), although I did do one last year in 1.58. My half marathon goal is to be consistent at  under 2 hours.

The Great North Run would be the ideal venue to achieve this as I am a Northerner (Carlisle) even though I have lived in Dorset for 40 years. this race would be an ideal way to spend this anniverary .

Half-marathon goal:  Sod the half marathon, I want a piss up in Newcastle for the weekend. 

• Name  Paula Snook

Brief running history:  I've been running since 1996 and I love it.  I started running after I had my second baby to keep me sane and get me out!  And I found I was actually ok at it so I ran a lot of 10ks and half marathons over the next 2 years.  I also did the London marathon in 1997 and 1998, crossing the line in 3 hours 24 mins which I was really pleased with.  However, I had to stop racing in 2001 when my third daughter was born because she was ill with a serious lung condition.  I still ran for fun but no longer felt I could commit to race training. 

Reason why you should train me:  My daughter is now seven and doing really well, thanks to Dr Thomson and the paediatric department at the John Radcliffe hospital.   I am now hoping there is one more good race in me!  The only big race I wanted to do, but never have, is the Great North run.  I need help with training to get me race fit, fire up my competitive streak, and enable me to beat my PB of 1 hour 31 mins for the Fleet half marathon.

Half marathon goal:  1hour 30 mins (if I'm not too old by now!)

• I really need an aim to get my running shoes back out of the cupboard – help!
  • Name: Jo Mayland (cryptic huh!)

Running history: Started running may 2007, when my youngest turned one, and I felt the need for some 'me time' (oh and exersize) Ran my first half in august and got hooked. Now done 5 races with 10k pb of 49.17 and half pb of 1.58.

Reason why you should train me: I Really really really want to get a sub 1.50 half, but need help moving from training for 10ks to half mrathon training. I find the drink lots before hand and big breakfast approach to race fueling has worked so far, but would love more advice on training and race nutrition.

Goal: 1.49.59
  • Eric Davies.I started running 25 years ago in an effort to get fit, after a game of 5-a-side left me unable to stand up after just 10 minutes.  I did a couple of half marathons in the mid-80s, then did no races at all until a few years ago, when I started walking marathon-type distances and thought 'if I can walk it, I can run it'. So I did the Edinburgh and London marathons, plus various halves.I'm now 51 and there are some runs I'd like to do before I get past it, of which the Great North Run is one. Over the next few months, I'm doing the Snowdon Mountain Race, Snowdonia Marathon and Hellrunner (again) and have put in for next year’s London Marathon. Training for the Great North Run with RW would give me a real boost in the months leading up to the Snowdonia Marathon and would, I’m sure, greatly improve my chances of successfully completing it.My main problem in recent years is that I'm getting slower, and although I know I should try speedwork, I tend to always fall into the same pace whatever distance I run.

My half-marathon goal is to run 1.40 or less.

• my apologies, i have just read my posting and the last sentence wasn't mine. It sneaked on from someone else's posting.  I really want to train for my best ever half marathon, and would love to do it in my home land.
  • Hello Catherine RW

Like to put my support behind Roslin(page 1) and echo what Mandie R said on the previous page.

All the best.