Options

Calling all Bupa Great North Run hopefuls

Comments

• Options

Hi,

I am a complete novice, more adept to running 3-5k on a running machine at my local Fitness First in Eastbourne. I would welcome the opportunity to train for such a big event. I think given help we are all able to achieve something in our lives.

Running the Great North Run would give me a sense of pride and a chance to get off my butt and do something worthwhile. Too much of my time is spent sofa soafing and channel flicking. I need a challenge!!!

• Options

I’m 51, I’ve been running for around 4 years and enjoy challenging myself. Whatever target I set, I do my utmost to achieve it. I love racing, I’ve run 7 races so far this year – including Bath, Tewkesbury and Malvern half marathons; Gloucester 20 mile road race; Hereford; Warndon Villages 10k, and Dudley Hearts First 5 miles. I’ve also successfully completed a challenge 50-mile walk in May,(Challenge4Charity) and was in the first group of four to complete the walk, in 20 hours. My half-marathon pb is 2:10:33, and I know that I could shave off minutes with the support of professionals. I have been a subscriber of Runners World magazine since I started running, and have found the articles both in the magazine and on the website very useful and interesting. I will always run, because it is one of the most important things in my life – it gives me the energy and enthusiasm in my stressful but very enjoyable job as a Teaching Assistant in a High School. I would love to take on this ultimate challenge, which will probably be the last chance I have before age takes over and my times start to come down – I need to prove that I can, with help, run a sub-2 hour half marathon – and where better than the Great North Run, which will take me back to my northern roots, where I was born and brought up.

• Options
    i thought this was meant to be 1 person 1 chance
  • Options

I began training in Feb' 2008 after an approximate exercise break of 15 years... and considering I'm 33 now by that I mean PE lessons at school... So, as a relatively new member of the world of running or if you prefer 'Runners world' (yes cheesy I know).  I use your magazine as an inspirational and aspirational guide and I'm slowly but surely learning the lingo of shin splints, fartlets(!) and Pb's.

I try to get out 3 or 4 times a week and can now run and breathe at the same time. I get excited by water bottles and GPS... and my mood had improved considerably, yes, there are days when I seriously can't be bothered especially after a day run ragged at work, but I don the trainers and by mile two my mood lifts and I focus on my goal, which is of course, buns of steel.

I'm entering my first 5km at the end of the month (PB currently 30Mins) and my first 10km at the end of September, therefore the 'Great North Run' would be a fantastic challenge and the opportunity of a proper training schedule actually fills me with glee, guess that means I'm a proper runner now?

• Options
    Name: Rhys Peters
    Brief running history: Have always run since seeing my dad run for fitness when growing up. Started racing after doing well in a work race and being recruited by the running team. I will run anything you put in front of me but prefer off-road and obstacle-type races. I blow hot and cold on results. Have run Sydney marathon 2003 off the cuff when on holiday there in 2.53.01. Won Tough Guy in January 2005. Have done several halfs - most recently Borehamwood AC half  30/9/07 in 1hr 21mins.
    Reason why we should train you: Because I struggle to stay motivated due to working shifts and falling in and out of love with running for its own sake. I always come back to it but do love cross-training. I know that I've got performance in the tank but need motivation to pull it out! I react well to challenge and knowing that others are taking an interest.
    Half-marathon goal: Fast - 1.18 or quicker
  • Options

Name: Paul Firth

First started running after watching a very fat (not fit) Maradona embarking on a TV weight loss program. Looking down at my expanding paunch I had a moment of clarity. 20 minutes later I was jogging around Clapham Common in some old desert boots. Didn't get very far that first evening and 3 months later after some impressive commitment my knees began hurting. Fast forward 12 months, through mid-life crisis, divorce and proper trainers, and I'd decided that staying fit and healthy was the key to being happy and fulfilled and so started running with a purpose. "Once a commitment is made then avenues previously closed start to open" and for that to happen you need an immovable target. With that in mind I signed myself up for the Keswick Triathlon, with a couple of 10k 'tasters' thrown in and slowly started to build up the distances a few evenings per week to be confident, at least, of not finishing last. My aim was for mid-table respectability and was achieved finishing 64th out of 200 (55min) on my first very muddy 10k. I was hooked as soon as I crossed the line, and was already childishly excited about what else I could take on. Signed up immediately for the Ful-On Tri Duathlon, and began scouring magazines and web-sites for tips and training programmes. I slowly started thinking of myself as an athlete! Losing weight and re-discovering my abdominals was a real bonus. To cut things short . . . Ful-On Duathlon 1hr,25m - 5k-20k-5k, Keswick Triathlon 2hr,50m - 750m-35k-8k. Three further triathlons booked, 1 sprint (Beaulieu), 2 olympic (Eton and XTT) plus some 10-15k mud runs. Loving it . . . . but . . . . .

Reason why you should train me: What I'd really like to include in this list is some marathon running, as it's easily my weakest event. I've never discovered that spring in my step that the runners passing by me seem to have. 30 minutes of jogging is required before I feel able to stretch my legs a bit and break into a 'run'. Another 30 minutes and I'm blowing and this pattern is proving difficult to break out of. I've found a lot of inspiration in the stories and articles in Runners World and other publications and it would be nice to give some back.

Half-marathon goal: Based on my best time over a flat 10k (50 minutes), I'm thinking that somewhere under the 2 hour mark would be a great time but it's unknown territory as the longest I've ever run is 15k . . . so who knows? It will be the absolute best it can be though!

• Options
    I've just turned forty this year and I always promised myself that when I passed the big 4 0 I would make that big effort to get and stay fit for the rest of my life. I was in the Army in my late teens and early twenties. I was super fit and could do a half marathon in 1 hour 30. However through being 6ft 1 and 13 stone and running in boots in the forces I developed my dodgy knees. This was diagnosed as a form of arthritis and  I was advised to give up running. That was several years ago and since then I have put on 3 stone and its taken away the only exercise I enjoyed. I would love my three year old daughter to see me fit and back running with  the professional help you could offer. My goal is just to get fit and inspire our daughter to a life of activity.
  • Options
    Name: Luca Ricchi
    NAtionality: Italian
    Living in Prague (Czech Republic)
    Novice runner aiming to do half marathon in less than 2 hours

Why to choose me:
    I can bring a bit of passion and latin culture in the team and because I can help the team mates to come to run the wonderful Prague marathon or the other running events in Prague

Cheers luca
  • Options

Started running in October 2006. I have since ran the Great North Run 2007 and Flora London Marathon 2008. 

I began running after a bout of back pain (herniated disc) which left me unable to walk for almost two months. It was make or break as I was heavy. Now three stone lighter with back pain well and truly "behind me"!

My progress has been rapid but my ambition is to run the Great North in sub 1.30.

Please give me the edge that I need.

Current p.bs Half 1.37.02

Full 3.43.48

• Options

Name: Mick Cull (27 years old)

Running History: Pretty brief really. Ran a bit when I was a kid but preferred time in the pub since then. Got back into it last year when I got into FLM 08. I found a program to follow and it all went well - got round in 4 hours 3 mins. I did one half at Watford in 1 hour 46. Am still training occasionally now but am lacking motivation now and am still waiting to hear about FLM 09.

Why you should train Me: I guess I doubted the benefit of Lucozade and all the gels, sports drinks and training programs in the past. I didn't use any of it for the London Marathon and got round alright. I guess i'm now wondering if I can be a better runner with some extra help or if it is really just a sales gimmick. I am motivated and I do want to improve as a runner. Also, i'm a school teacher and my class are giving me grief about being slow, so it'd be nice to prove 'em wrong!

Half Marathon Goal: Would love to go under 1 hour 30 and get myself in good shape for next year's FLM.

• Options
    I have running for over 25 years running in races from 3k up to marathon in the south. I have always wanted to take part in the Great North Run.

Over the years my half marathon time has always been in the 1:50 to 2:00 region without ever following a structured training routine. Sometimes i will just run once a week and other weeks 5 times. I would really like to know if I could improve on that time with the benefit of a proper training regime. And what more incentive to run a pb at the age of 51 that the Great North Run.
  • Options

Name: Keith Bedford

I have run several Great North Runs but for the last few years have walked more than I've run due to illness/injury interupting training. My confidence was shattered in 2006 after having to take time of work through stress & I have recently found that I can enjoy running again.

I have a place in this year's event and really want to be able to do it justice by running the full distance and recording a time of about 2hr 30mins. Joining this team could well make the difference between success and failure and I really need to prove to myself that I have turned the corner and I'm back to being my old sef.

• Options
    Hello Catherine RW,

I should like also to second Roslyn from page 1!

She's already a regular poster on the GNR thread so is used to talking about herself and her training, and she lives in the flipping Outer Hebrides! I know from some of her posts how difficult it is for her sometimes to get some consistent training in because of the weather conditions there, and she lives no-where near a Start Fitness-type shop, so has to buy stuff like running shoes in bulk from t'internet just so she can try out several different pairs before buying any.

And she's lovely!
  • Options
    Name: Craig Griffiths (36 years old)

Running History: Running a marathon was always on my list of "10 things to do before i die", so started running in 2006, as part of my training for 2007 FLM. Training was a real buzz for me and i also managed to lose 1.5 stone in the process. Managed to finish in 4 hrs 26 mins on a horribly hot day and managed to raise £2000 for charity, what an experience.
    Have put in for 2009 FLM. And am already training in anticipation.

Why you should train Me: I do 95% of my running alone, (except for my ipod), so would love the opportunity to soak up the experience on offer. I would also love the chance to participate in the Great North Run as a pre cursor and a good training build up to FLM 2009.

Half Marathon Goal: Did Stafford 1/2 in 1 hr 44 mins, so anything under that would be great!
  • Options
    Hello...

Name: Lindsey Bell

Brief running history: I've only done 5 races in my entire life - Newcastle Race for Life 2007, Bristol 10k 2008, Bristol Race for Life 2008, Blaydon Race 2008 and the Great Women's Run 2008 - all to raise money for Cancer Research UK. I'm not very quick (10k pb is 61 mins), but I am very determined!

Reason why we should train you: I've competed at university, regional, county and national level and represented England in another sport so have a previous record of training and achievement in sport. I can, and will, train hard to achieve success and would find it particularly meaningful to run in the Great North Run as I'm from the region.

Half-marathon goal: to finish in under 2 hours

• Options

well i have done 4 graet north runs, and never managed to finish under 3 hours, one took over 4 i walked a lot.

at 61 i would love to get a respectable time.

the reasom i run  / waljis for charity, i usually get around £1000 a year, this year i want to so something special, and raise a lot more, woth help i am sure i can reach my target.

• Options

Name: Paul Scully

Brief Running History: The history in itself is brief, without summarising it would still be less than 250 words. Mid 30's crisis, got roped into running a couple of 5k's for charity 18mths ago, discovered I could actually run 5k without stopping hence thought I'd try a 10k. Managed that in just less than 50mins and just without stopping. Vowed never to run again but once the aches subsided, blisters popped, found myself back out and about and got badgered to do a half. Managed that in just under 1:50 (without stopping) but was then bitten by the bug and continue to run 2 or 3 times a week, 5k to 15k sessions.

Why me? Training times are coming down, but would like to do more, get better yadda yadda yadda.... Would like to train more and race more but with domestic commitments, its a struggle to slip out the door on an evening, nevermind disappear for half a day at the weekend for the occasional race. BUT, if I were to win a national competition like this, that would be different right? The pressure of the RW readership on my shoulders, domestic life would surely have to buckle to allow me to get more training time and race prep time?  - please help!

Have gadgets, will run!

Target - 1:40, stretch target 1:35?

Feel free to second my nomination and help my plight....

• Options

Hi

My name is Andy Pearson an Electricity pole climber from North Devon I've been running since I was about 20 I'm now 36 and I love it to bits I cannot imagine my life without running. This is quite suprising as I wasn't interested in much sport at school and I was always the last one to be picked for anything. I will never forget the suprised look on Mr cook's (my PE teacher) face when he saw me training for my first marathon and he wished me the best of luck when he found out what I was up to. I've completed so many races of every distance since then and I also cycled solo from lands end to John A Groats.

I would really like to be trained by you as I feel I would be 100% commited to the training and dedicated to the logging, reporting and recording of my progress. After running the GNR in the past when my running was in its infancy i would love to experience this great race again and with Lucozade and Runners world's help I am sure I can beat my current PB of 1:25:46 

• Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

I would like to nominate myself because I know no-else will

big up the Goldbeetle

• Options

Sally Evans...started running for first time ever August 2007 at the grand age of 42, when asked by my friend Karen to join her. She has helped me get from 100 yards to around 10 miles! She is patient and inspirational. Ran my first ever race - the Dale 10km in 70 mins last September and lived to tell the tale! Ran my first half marathon in March 2008 in 2hrs 20...I ran all the way!!

Now training for the Great North Run and running for Marie Curie Cancer Care - this race will mean so much as Im running for my dad and our neighbours who are all battling cancer. Running has given me something for 'me' and has opened up a whole new world. Just in this year, Karen and I have run through some major family upsets and the survival of Karen's daughter from a brain injury.  Importantly, it has kept us sane and managed our stress!

With families and jobs we can only fit our running in at 6am (4 times a week) and havent missed a day all through the winter..what a sight we are in our illuminous vests in the rain - gorgeous! 

Your help would be invaluable because Im plodding...I would dearly love to repay Karen by improving my speed so she doesnt have to 'hang back' and also make my dad proud and run this half marathon in under 2 hours whilst raising huge sums for Marie Curie..

• Options
    Name: Darren Baker

Brief Running History: Got into running in 2005 after being in a sedentary sales job for nearly 20 years and reaching over 22 stone. Lost 8 stone over the last 3 years through running from the initial 30 second shuffle at the end of a 10 minute treadmill walk to the FLM 2007 in 4 hours 54.

Why me... Was 2 days away from doing the Great North last year when I did the righteous manly husband thing offering to get my wife a drink during the night when she was feeling unwell only to hurtle down our staircase and break my arm. Hence regretfully only could watch the race on TV and couldn't run for over 6 weeks due to the plaster and healing. Currently back running since February but put back on 1 and a half stone so finding it tougher..but more motivated than ever at the moment having reapplied for next year's FLM.
    My PB Half-Marathon was last September in the Great North Build-up of 2:00:10 so yes was gutted not to be able to have the opportunity to beat the 2 hour mark at the Great North.

My wife says to pick me for at least attempting to be the caring husband.......Even if she ended up doing most of the dog walking and all of the driving for those 6-8 weeks after.
  • Options
    Name : Catherine Charlton, 29, Nottingham (but originally from Newcastle)

Running History: In 2001 I almost died from Septicaemia and Pneumonia, but was lucky to be young and otherwise healthy and I made a full recovery. 5 years later I decided to raise some money for Meningitis Research and settled on running the Great North Run as my challenge. I'd only ever run the 5k Race for Life before and was scared to run alone, so I joined a club in Feb 2006 and never looked back. I am now a dedicated club runner (and club secretary) and frequent racer. Most recently I won Gold in the Nottinghamshire 10k County Championships (yesterday in fact!)

Why choose me?: My WAVA scores have me as top of 'local class'/bottom of 'regional class'. I feel I have the ability and determination to move up a level and be comfortably in the 'regional class', but I need guidance with the training, especially in regards to training specifically tailored to the longer distance. My 10k PB of 42.15 suggests I should be able to run a half marathon in around 1.33.00, yet my current PB is 1.36.59 (set at last year's GNR).

Goal: Three goals as always - settle for 1.36.58, would love to get 1.35.XX, would be over the moon and bouncing off the ceiling with 1.33.XX.
  • Options

I'd also like to second the nomination for Roslyn, one of our new regular posters on the GNR thread. Because she's lovely image.

• Options

I have been running for approximately 18 months. I first started running on a last minute holiday to Portugal with my running-husband - it was either that or stay in our apartment in the pouring rain with three adolescents.  Not much of a competition.  Unfortunately or fortunately, i am turning out to be fiercely competitive.

I did my first race in May when we did the new bupa london 10k, in 53 minutes. My second was our local Southend half marathon which I did in 1 hour 51 minutes.  My husband really, really made me angry when he did it in 1 hour 31minutes.

Overtaking people in races makes me extremely happy, even if it is Donald Duck!  I dream of gaining a decent placing in a race  and have been known to wear my medals for at least 3 days after the event. I would, more than anything, like to beat my husband running up hills, and not be left running behind him wanting to cause him gbh - I have been known to cry whilst  trying to reach the top of the mount everest of all hills near my home which involves more or less runing on your toes - not really too sad then!!

• Options

Name  :  David Raeburn, 61, semi-retired farmer, South Devon 

Running History:  Started running after my sixtieth birthday last year and completed the London Marathon, the hot one, last year in 4.53.  I entered this year but failed to get a place so went to Edinburgh instead and managed 3.52, the half in that race was clocked at 1.49.

Why choose me?:I would love to have a place in the BUPA Great North Run and have the training support to see just how quick I could do it before I get any older!

Goalimageomething in the 1.30's would be good

• Options

Name:  Liz (passionate about running) Stevenson

History: 

Early 2007:  Happy 50 year old, over-weight, ‘couch potato’ …..

Until June when I discovered I had breast cancer!  Following a successful operation I did my homework and discovered that being fit and losing weight could reduce the chances of cancer returning by 20%! 

So I set out at the age of 51 with a vengeance (and my dog, Millie, in tow) to lose weight and get fit. In all weathers ‘we’ persevered gradually increasing the pace.  By 2008 I was 3 ½ stones lighter and running 12 minute miles for up to 5 miles.  Through sheer perseverance and determination I am now running faster for up to 6 miles, 3 – 4 times a week (sad to say Millie is no longer as keen as I am). 

Reason:  Because I have taken time out to honestly assess my life and have had the vision to see that some aspects can be improved.  Having grasped the mettle I now feel that I need the support and guidance of the professionals to achieve my running goals, maximise my potential and ultimately make the dream a reality.  I want to prove to ‘couch potatoes’ everywhere that you’re never too old and it’s never too late to take a leap into the dark and succeed.   

I am passionate about running and my one regret is that I didn’t take it up when I was young. 

Goal:  Half-marathon goal:  2 hours 45 minutes, in my dreams 2 hours, with your help under 2 hours 30 minutes

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Name: David Crosby (aged 42)

Running history: started running in 2005 to get fit/raise money for charity. Ran my first race - Hastings Half Marathon - in March 2005 on behalf of Cancer Research and a local special needs school which my nephew attended. Have now run 37 races including 12 Halfs (including GNR in 2005 and 2006 on behalf of Shelter and Macmillan Cancer Support) and three Marathons (FLM 2007 and 2008 and the Amsterdam Marathon 2008). Member of Bexhill Runners running club in East Sussex and the Club PR/Promotions Officer.

Why train me? I have improved my Half Marathon times from 2:06:44 in my first one to a PB of 1:42:13, but my GNR PB is 1:46:20. Would like to better this and set a new Half PB in the World's Greatest Half Marathon, which is a particularly special event for me as my sister lives in Newcastle having married a Geordie and has run the last 13 GNR's. Having run two GNR's with my big sis, I would love to run a third with her this year. If selected, I would use the 2008 GNR as part of my training for the Hastings Marathon which I am running in December 2008. Lucozade Sport is an essential part of my training and race-fuelling (along with jelly babies in Marathons!) and I followed a RW training programme for my first Marathon, but haven't used a RW programme for a Half before.

Half-marathon goal: To break the 1:40 barrier.
  • Options

Hi Catherine,

I'd like to second two people if I can:

Roslyn, as a newbie GNR thread lady who has to battle with the weather conditions and just to get out to train and who probably lives in one of the most remote locations in the UK.  She's becoming a regular poster who I'm sure would be really interesting for folks to follow her progress.

CC2 Speedy Goth - a GNR regular who's determination has seen her times really improve over the last few years.  Heck - she even got out of bed at 7am on Christmas Day to come and do a training session with me on Newcastle Quayside...that's real commitment!

I'm sure that winning the competition could really help out these two inspirational gals imeasurably.

*got my fingers crossed*

Best of luck ladies image

• Options
    Hello! I'd like to second CC2 Speedy Goth's nomination because she's a proper geordie, a great runner and a lovely lady. Bit of a legend really image