The Nike+ Human Race 10K

Comments

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Sole Survivor don't worry - my best time for a 10K is 58 mins but I'm only just back from hols and getting back into training so won't be anywhere near that!  Just enjoy the occasion!
  • How long you been training for trigger 2?
  • Thanks for the reassurance image

I am going to feel a right numpty when ALL of Wave 2 stream past me though!  How I ended up in that wave I have no idea.  I am pretty sure I didn;t put anything better down that 70mins time when I signed up!

Oh well, it wil be fun to run in Wembley.

• When I signed up there were only waves 1 and 4 left and you had to tell them which one you wanted to be in. Wave 1 being the fastest- I opted for wave 4..lol...
  • also...how many people do you think there will be?  given that only 8000 turned up for the 12500 runner BUPA Hyde Park thing...and this Nike event is in the back-end of London, on a Sunday, with Moby...image
  • I'm not sure to be honest, because it was pretty pricey for the tickets by all accounts by other people that had done other running events. I don't mind being trampled on by less than 30,000 people- sounds ok to me..lol...
  • ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    They have been giving places to club members in Brent, so they obviously have a fair few place left. That's how I got in!
  • giving places?

That doesn't sound good...maybe it won't be such a great turn out.

• Don't worry about the waves - in previous years they've all been mixed ability. Hopefully, everyone's there to enjoy themselves...although, having read some of the comments here, I'm not so sure.

C'mon guys, let's be positive about this - it's gonna be something new for everyone (unless you've already been to a running gig...) and it's a fun event. I've never even been to Wembley Stadium (old or new), let alone watched a gig or run a race there - surely that's something to get excited about?! Also, running in a global event is pretty cool, I reckon. All those thousands of others running all over the world for the same causes, but each for their own unique reasons - when I think about being involved, it feels pretty special.

(Do I need a hard-hat now too? image )
  • Hey Debbie C come join me in the bunker.... although it's not been too bad!

I'm looking forward to it!  image

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    TurtleGirl my last 10K was about 5 weeks ago but I've been in Cyprus for the past three weeks - put on 5lbs which means I'm now 1st over my ideal weight and my first run was on Sunday - 3miles (struggle) then on Tuesday 4.5 miles (struggle)!  Running again tomorrow night and would anticipate 4.5 miles again with hopefully 5 miles on Sunday.  We'll see how it goes.  Good luck to everyone with their training image
  • Well done, you sound like your doing fantastic!!!!
  • Won't be able to pick up my race pack until 30th and my e-mail says need to collect it by the 18th.  Niketown won't answer any questions or phonecalls and Nike website won't allow for any FAQs to be sent. Any one else stuck, will they still let me pick up my pack on the 30th?
  • I hope you get your pack soon M Gillett. My main concern is that I have my race pack and tickets, but it does not actually say what time the waves set off?. It has time for the concert and that's it!

I think they will let you pick up your pack on the 30th. I had a friend go down with the code, because I'm 72 miles away from London and he said their were no problems. So don't worry!!

• Thanks TG you've put my mind at rest a bit - I'm travelling form Norfolk so I don't really want to get there and discover I can't run.  Like you I would like to know more detail on the timings as it's a long way to travel back and get up for work on Monday!!!

• I know what you mean. I thought the tickets would be more detailed, but they are actually about the concert. I thought that Nike would be more thorough. Even on their website it says nothing about times.

If anyone knows anything more, let us know!

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    map is now available, looks like a good series of twists and turns through wembley. Not too bad though, it should be reasonably flat, a couple of inclines from what I know.

1 week to get in shape, oh dear!
  • Just had an email from Nike saying that wave one starts at 7.20. Imagine the other waves will follow shortly thereafter.
  • 7.20? Pah. We have to be in there for 6.00 and it doesn't start for 80 mins after?

80 minutes standing waiting (plus coping with Moby) for being on the Wembley turf... Hmmm. Especially as I'm going to be slow as running 20 miles the day before for Berlin training. Fun.

Here is a link to route - http://inside.nike.com/blogs/humanrace-en_GB/2008/08/20/the-race-is-just-around-the-corner - hope you like turning lots!

• Nike aren't giving medals to finishers this year.  After a lot of pushing they've said that they'll be giving a "unique running band" instead.
  • ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    No Medal, not happy about that.
  • where did you hear about the running band?.
  • Ok, there's no medal, the start time is pretty sketchy and the course doesn't look great, but I'm actually getting pretty excited about this one now. Being on the pitch at Wembley is going to be awesome and even if the music isn't your thing, the fact that it's live and played on a huge sound system in front of a huge crowd should make it pretty special. It's certainly going to be like no race I've ever done.

Bring.it.on!

• not long to go now...I'm still excited...........but full of cold!  Bah, perfect timing, as usual image.  Not gonna let it stop me having fun though.  Woot woot!
  • Quite honestly why did some of you enter the race!? it always stated there was a concert beforehand, and that there would be no medals. Quite frankly it will be nice for an organiser to give out something different then a cheap piece of metal.

With a mass start, 3 waves and 30,000 other runners, PB's were never a factor in me entering, I've run 35 minutes for 10k and done many many 10k before,

So why do this one, well the uniqueness of the whole event, I dont like the music especially but I should think that it willing be really motivating to get us all pumped up.

Are you ever going to stand on the pitch again? in one of the most iconic stadiums in the world, I know i'm not and to do so would probably cost a lot more then the £35 we have been charged to do so.

I hope you all enjoy it, I know i will. I was told about it many months ago and entered straight away, its going to be a race to remember.

• I can't wait, the atmosphere is going to be fantastic! Only ran 10k once before so not worried about beating my PB, just to be able to say "I ran at Wembley!"
  • Yep, this event is all about the atmos - should be cracking and might even spur us on to fast times.
  • Faststarter, I am excited to run this for the reasons you've already stated - however, if you read the FAQ on the website it says:

"16. Are there individual prizes?
    Every runner in the Nike+ Human Race receives a medal at the finish line as well as their race t-shirt."

So I'm still expecting a medal! I like them and collect them, so like Shiva I'd also be very disappointed if there isn't one. The worst race finish for me was the Reading HM this year, I'd struggled all the way round as I wasn't feeling well with visions of the proof that at least I'd finished my first HM even if not the way I'd hoped, only to find out that they had run out by the time I got there. We did get them later, but I really wanted it then image
  • ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I like medals, and if i'd paid 30 quid for a race i would expect one. yes i'm excited to be on the pitch at wembley, yes i'm looking forward to the atmosphere, but there are a lot of little things which are in my opinion a bit irritating about this event. My main comfort is that my place was free, but I would still like a medal to add to my collection rather than a race band that will just turn me into a walking nike advert.
  • The last 10k race I ran, there were no medals...but there was a lovely commemorative bath towel in my goodie bag instead.  Fabulous!