Options

Anyone running Berlin marathon

Comments

• Options
    GuyGuy ✭✭✭
    Are you looking for someone to run it with, or advice about the course? If the latter, I am not running it this year, but have run it the last two years - what do you want to know?
  • Options
    I'm also running (well allegedly (more of that on another thread)). Nice wide start, (so long as the Brandenburg gate is fully open), v. flat course and lots and lots of support which is excellent. Don't forget free beer at the end and lots of lovely German beer whilst you're there (yum!)
  • Options
    I'm running it, so's my brother and another friend - what do you want to know? Done it the last 3 years.

Sheila Anne
  • Options
    Not running it this year (running Frankfurt instead as I've not done that one before) but have run Berlin twice. It is a fantastic Marathon - far and away my favourite. Great city, excellent course (personal best potential very good), good organisation, wonderful support (especially in Eastern parts & at finish), best finishers medal I've seen - it's got everything.
    From experience I know that there is hardly any congestion following the start as the course follows the very wide Avenue 17.Juni & Unter den Linden (incl. four major landmarks the Siegesaule, the Brandenburger Tor, Reichstag & Cathedral) for the first 5 kilometres without making a turn. This obviously allows the field to space out quickly and makes for more comfortable running but it does make it very easy to go too fast too soon (as I did on my first visit). Do this and the kilometres 27-35 will be very tough indeed. The roads there are long and straight here, and the scenery isn't as interesting as earlier so it's easy for the mind to wander onto such matters as how much the legs are hurting. It might be surprising to say that I found the Eastern parts of the city far more interesting and therefore the kilometres there seemed to slip by more quickly. The worst parts are definitely to be found where the course runs through the Western suburbs of Steglitz & Zehlendorf.
    But once through that section there is a superb finish to look forward to running the full length of the Kurfurstendamm. It's a long straight, and slightly uphill, but the support is good and it's excellent to put in a really strong finish if you're up to it.

You'll be hard pushed to find a better Marathon than this - beats London out of sight - and I'm sure you enjoy it.
    Best of luck, hope it goes well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information guys. I'm going over around the 26th September, so I should get to see at least some of the course. Hope its not too hilly as most of my training has been treadmill based, and I haven't done much hill work. Managed to pick up tonsilitis just recently as well. Just about finished my course of antibiotics though. I've heard that about 40% of runners get a cold or flu in the final few weeks of training. Has anyone else found been so lucky?
  • Options
    No need to worry about hills, the entire course is flat. Even the slope towards the finish is too slight to cause a problem.

• Options
    Definite pb course its so flat, seem to remember a slight incline (though I might be wrong) near Potsdammer platz but was too busy looking at the architecture to really notice.

Everyone around me at work has colds and flu symptoms so I'm shovelling as much Vit C down me throat as poss to try not to get anything. My partners a school teacher and she's always telling the kids not to come near her when they've got colds and I've got a race in case she catches and gives it to me!
  • Options
    GuyGuy ✭✭✭
    You definitely don't need to worry about hills. There is only one of any significance, and that is only noticeable because the rest of the course is virtually dead flat. As the others have said, it's an ideal course for a PB.

All that I would add to what has been said already is: (i) they don't hand out sports drinks on the course, just water and black tea (I think that may be because the race is sponsored by the local water company) - so if you want a sports drink you need to take your own; and (ii) don't do what I did one year, and eat the chunks of apple which they hand out at the drinks stations - soon after I got the most excrutiating stomach cramps and ended up walking most of the second half of the course.
  • Options
    I'm running Berlin for the first time and am interested in the start. Are runners organised into starting segments based on predicted finishing times, or are you free to stand where you like at the start?

As for avoiding a cold about now, I find the effervescent Vit C tablets ("Redoxon" I think) are great, especially helpful in preventing any flu/cold after the run.
  • Options
    David,

people are organised into expected finishing times. Last year when I ran it because I'd had no previous (it was my first marathon) I was right at the back but because of the really wide start I didn't have to wait ages to cross the start which was good, and also they use the champion chip net timing so your time is based on the second you cross the start to the second you hit the finish.

The only thing I found strange was I'd expected some sort of gun/siren to go off and I just don't remember any last year, just sort of shuffling and increasing pace towards the start.

Theres a good warm up session available from about 8 o'clock plus the free beer at the end!!
  • Options
    When I last ran Berlin there were "pens" of sorts although the runners are expected to show inititive and line up in an appropriate position. It doesn't make a lot of difference if you don't though as the first five kilometres are, a roundabout aside, dead straight and very wide. Then you turn right onto another wide straight of almost two kilometres. As long as you aren't a two and a half hour man right at the back, you'll not have a problem. It's a far more serious run than London, it's a real Marathon rather than a very large fun run, so the runners generally have a better idea of what they're doing and therefore much of the congestion / obstruction problems of London are avoided.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info and best of luck to all runners at Berlin this year. I am looking forward to it.