Options

Lucozade Sport Super Six: CC2 - Speedy Goth

Comments

• Options
    Great run CC2,  I've had a rest day today but will be doing my easy run tomorrow and my tempo run on Friday or Saturday, how did it go with Tessa?
  • Options
    I think you're supposed to put it in your body CC2 image
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    It was hot today wasn't it? I went out at 12:45 and for the first time EVER was about to remove my top because of the opressive heat in Liverpool.... luckily for everyone the sun ducked behind a cloud and I caught a breeze coming in from the Estuary!
  • Options
    presuming you can run and can feel your legs. The important thing about the session is just to run the middle section fast but at slightly slower than 10k pace. Start fairly gently and build the pace up. Do you have a Garmin to monitor the pace?
  • Options

Hi Steve. Yes, I have a 405 that I'm still getting to grips with and I still have my old 201.

I set off for my session tonight as soon as I could after the doc's appointment (ie before the pain set in!). It was another boiling day in Nottingham - 27 degrees according to the car. I think I made a bit of a mistake when I picked the route I'd take for this - downhill start, effort mostly downhill but ending halfway up a steep incline, recovery all uphill. I might have to have a rethink for the next one!

WU - 15.03 1.82 miles (pace 8.16)
    Tempo - 10.01 1.44 miles (pace 6.58 - a little too fast but it was downhill)
    CD - 15.15 1.67 miles (pace 9.09 - uphill!)

I wish I lived somewhere flatter!

Then I did a lower intensity weights session than usual - just 2 sets of 10 reps. I didn't want to do too much so close to saturday's race.

I tried the Hydro Active mix-it-yourself drink this afternoon, maybe too early on though, I'd finished it by 3.30 and my run wasn't till 6.30. I didn't take any drink out with me on the run which may explain the hideous stomach cramps on the recovery section, but I did weigh myself before and after as requested. I lost half a kilo in sweat. Nice image

• Options

Good session again in the heat - well done.

Probably a good training ploy to have an uphill finish to the session as speed isn't important after the main part and you can run that bit slowly but still build up stamina as you are tired.

• Options

Hi Speedy,

I am after some advice please. I can get a Garmin 405 for £175 and use the HRM off my Garmin 50. Is it worth it? With all the team putting great stats in, I can only do an average for my runs plotting them on map software.

Cheers Dump Truck.image

• Options
    I think the Garmin 405 is worth it - great receiver and very accurate. i just struggle to operate it with its lack of buttons. Today I was cycling and the wind seemed to be operating it and changing screens.
  • Options

Well done on getting in the super six CC2!

and well done on managing your first sessions in the heat - it's been really humid out there, so not the best of conditions image 

I'll be watching your schedule with interest (and will hopefully be hot on your heels) ... there's a bottle of 20:20 with your name on it somewhere lol 

• Options
    CC2 that pace is astonishing, doing 8.40 odd last night on flat nearly killed me (mini me wouldn't stop going on about how red my face was). So jolly well done on doing it in the heat, 'cos it certainly wasn't anywhere near that hot up here. I may be very very far behind you, but still rooting for you.
  • Options

Hi CC2

Very impressive pace, I found 8 min pace for 10 minutes hard work last night.

Are you still doing the Heckington 10, it sounds like a good race and I'm sure you'll be coming away with the winners bottle of champagne.

Just a 90 minutes steady for me tommorrow and then I can rest for two days in preparation for some speed work on Tuesday.

Have a good week-end and Good Luck. Sue

• Options

Hi Folks

Schedule today says 30 mins easy or rest. As I am doing the Heckington 10 tomorrow I'm opting for rest. Well, active rest. I'm going to do Yogalates. And thanks for the words of encouragement Sue, but I can assure you I will not be winning it unless I employ someone to trip up the other women on the way round! On last year's results I would have been 2nd though. What's the betting loads of fast girls turn up for this tomorrow? I was thinking of doing Sherwood Pines 5k last week as last year I did the 10k and as I passed the 5k mark no-one had actually won it. I opted for a long run in the end, and a good thing too as the winner of the 5k this year would have left me for dust!

My bum cheek has been sore all day from the injection yesterday and after a few too many late nights recently I'm shattered so it will be an early night for me tonight. Nearly fell asleep on my desk at one stage!

Guy - I'm still getting to grips with the 405 but it is good. But check out what the Nike+ Sportband does first though, since we're apparently getting one as part of the kit. 

Steve - you should try locking the bezel on the 405 then you can't accidentally change the screen.

• Options

Good job CC2 and good luck tomorow.... I'm starting to feel a bit of slow coach with all these speedy runners whizzing past me!

Good luck tomorrow....x 

• Options

Hope 10 goes well.

thanks for the locking advice. I have locked it before but not when I wanted to!

• Options

HI Catherine,

Yet another speedy runner in the group.  Looks like your training is going well. I think Tracy and I are going to be choking on the dust from the rest of you in Newcastle.  

Thought you did quite well with the mouldy cheese - I usually have to pay more for it and you got it for free!

I won't be posting as often as I would like for the next fee weeks as I am househunting in Engerlandshire but will try to keep up to date with how you are progressing.

• Options
    Aaaargh! I had written a huge race report but it was too long and wouldn't upload so now I have lost it. image
  • Options

OK, so this will be the short version cos I'm not typing all that again!

What did I say about all the speedy types turning up? Well, I was right. Last year there were 87 runners. This year there were 170. The 1st lady last year ran 65.xx. This year it was 61.xx. And last year it was rainy. Typical, why didn't I run it last year instead of this?????

It was a mighty long trek but I arrived, dripping with sweat, at 10.15am. It was already 27 degrees.

I located the loos and start finish area then dumped my bag back in the car. Typically it was after I'd done this that I ran into Carl from my club and his OH, who was spectating. Sadly there wasn't enough time to dash back to get the camera so I couldn't get a video of me finishing. I made a little one before and after the race though but you'll have to wait unitl I've emailed it to RW to upload for me before you can laugh at my accent etc etc.

On to the race...

(Taking no risks with losing more posts!)

• Options

We started with 2 and a quarter laps of the main ring, as usual I went off too fast. However I always go off too fast so wasn't too worried about it, I just made myself slow down a bit. Quite a few women went past me when I slowed and I estimated I was in 8th place.

Despite the fact I hate running with anything in my hand I had taken a pouch of Lucozade sport with me. I knew the water on the course would be in cups and I cannot drink out of them whilst running to save my life! Is that just me? So I had a little sip at every mile marker and used the water to dump on my head.

Coming up to mile 4 I passed one of the women who'd gone past me earlier, the heat had gotten to her. This spurred me on and I passed a couple of fellas here too. I thought I'd put in a faster mile there, but the splits say otherwise.

By 5 miles I was starting to feel cold. WTF??? How on earth can you be cold whilst running on a course with minimal shade on the hottest day of the year so far? I tried desperately to work out what this could mean - overhydrated? dehydrated? I have no idea! Plod on...

• Options

I kept counting to 100 with my footstrike à la Paula Radcliffe, but I was losing the ability to count and had to keep starting again. Never did like maths!

I just kept getting slower and slower with every mile and there was nothing I could do about it. A lady went past me somewhere along the line, taking a fella with her. But everyone else must have been struggling as much as I was, for all I was struggling to put one foot in front of the other and getting slower with each mile, I was still passing blokes every now and then.

The last mile came along and I knew I would have to run a sub 6 mile to get a PB. Not a chance! I tried to pick up the pace a little bit though as I could swear a marshall shouted 'well done ladies' on one of the junctions. I wasn't happy with 8th, but there was no way I was going to go down to 9th having hung on for so long! I saw the finish line up ahead, the clock showing a time well beyond what I wanted. I couldn't hear breathing or footsteps behind me so just picked up the pace to finish strongly. A sprint finish wouldn't have acheived anything - no PB, no higher position.

Splits
    1: 6.42
    2: 7.01
    3: 7.13
    4: 7.19
    5: 7.33
    6: 7.30
    7: 7.46
    8: 7.53
    9: 7.51
    10: 7.49
    11: 0.09 (I measured the course at 10.03)

Total 1.14.47, average pace 7.27/mile.

I've got some work to do if I want to run 1.35 at GNR image

• Options

Most excellent goody bag :-

One of those Crystal Cube thingies with the runner's in the middle
    Bottle of water
    Two cans of Red Bull
    Voucher for free bottle of For Goodness Shake
    Packet of Piper's Crisps (local Lincolnshire brand)
    Large bag of mixed nuts and raisins
    Honey and Oat Granola bar
    High 5 gel
    Packet of tissues

I had hoped to hang around at the show for most of the afternoon but I couldn't find much in the way of edible food. Burgers and chips reigned image. I found baguette stall but they were charging astronomical prices, as was the stall selling chicken paella. So I ate my Lucozade Energy bar, which was rather melted and sticky having been in my car boot, and the packet of crisps and gave up and came home.

I did see a few cycle races, some sheep with afro hair, some prize bunny rabbits (including some right whoppers - twice the size of my cat at least!), some prize poultry, prize dogs and prize vegetables. I watched a horse being shod, glanced at vintage farm vehicles, browsed the stalls which were mostly selling 'tat' as my mum would say, sucessfully avoided the canon demonstration (noisy!) and forked out £1.50 for a bottle of cold water. Ouch.

• Options

Oh, and it was 31.5 degrees when I got back in the car.

I am pink. Yes, I did wear sunscreen. I suspect it washed off with all the water I kept chucking over my head!

• Options

Great Post CC2 - 

That's a fabulous time when you consider the conditions you were running it  and I don't think it's likely to be 27 degrees in October so there's hope for you yet! image

I got that "cold" feeling when I was running in mid day sun when we had the really hot spell in May.    Bit of a prickly/shivery feeling?   I think it was my body thermostat taking drastic measures to cool me down but kept topping up on fluids and it went ok again.

Looking forward to seeing your video footage.  I've got some more but will drip feed it in... don't want to put anyone off their dinner!

• Options

CC2 - Don't put yourself down. Taken into account the hot weather, I think you did well.

And what a goody bag - I want one. LOL

• Options

Excellent race report CC2!

Sounds like an excellent goody bag too - pity about the heat, but I guess it's good training for the GNR given what the last two years have been like.

Great running! image 

• Options
    CC2 any chance the cold feeling was caused by a reaction to the thing you were sipping? Perhaps if it's not one you've tried before?
  • Options
    I don't think so, it was just ordinary lucozade sport like you get at the Great North and other big races. Had it loads of times.
  • Options

Just done some googling and I think it was dehydration. That's despite the fact that I drank a cup of coffee and a glass of water with breakfast, 500mls of Lucozade Hydrate on the journey, 400mls water before the race and 330mls lucozade plus sips of water where I could during the race.  Any more and I'd have been sloshing like a washing machine!

It really was excessively hot (as my comedy sunburn goes to prove - bright white Garmin mark on my wrist image)

Long bike ride planned for tomorrow. I'm taking 830mls of lucozade and 500mls water with me and will be buying more at the cafe at Elvaston Castle.

Today's nutrition (aside from the aforementioned drinks)

Porridge
    1/4 Powerbar
    Lucozade Energy Bar
    Crisps from the goody bag
    Honey and Oat Granola from the goody bag
    Brunch bar
    Sugar free Red Bull from the goody bag
    1 litre water
    Fishfinger sandwich
    Diet coke
    Banana in fruit yoghurt
    2 weetabix with skimmed milk and brown sugar
    Another litre water

Dinner (that's Lunch to the southerners!) didn't really happen because I couldn't afford any of the ridiculously priced stuff on offer at the fair and didn't get home till tea time. Wasn't really that hungry then either but suddenly got hungry 20 mins ago so scoffed the banana and weetabix.

• Options

Best of luck for a speedy GNR time, be a good few years before i get that fast if ever.

Fish finger sarnies??? If they make you run faster i might start on these

• Options
    nice running, well done Gothy, you'll be great at GNR!
  • Options

With the heat and dehydration, I think it was a good solid run. You slowed on the second half but not that badly. It wasn't as if you were doing over 8:00 per mile.

I don't think it's that far removed from a 1:35. You will be fitter and stronger in a few months, and it won't be as hot, and even if it is, you'll be acclimatised, That sort of time in those conditions is fine and you should be proud of the performance.